Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Took a break from the ratmiral to let the paint dry and did some work on this the past couple of days.

The plan is to just do a lined grisalle.

Need to do some more blending of the gradients, but it's largely complete. Should hopefully be able to get it finished tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

"Hide"

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Made something cartoony this time. I think I will do another next.
https://twitter.com/arianimation/status/1322648714335391748

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Just a reminder that the Traveling CCircus Showcase of Wonders Show will be departing CC soon for its whirlwind adventure around the forums. Share your art, writing, animations, scrawlings, or whatever else you're proud of with the rest of the forums and see what goons from other subfora are up to!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks, I would have missed it if you didn't post it here.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

ExplodingSquid posted:

I hadn't done art in sometime, then I saw a bunch of pop art paintings from Greg Leon Guillemin and was inspired. So I did a few of his, my own versions of them then one of my own of a buddy.
Felt good to be creative again!

Good Goon Art.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
My creative energy has been focused elsewhere, but I’ve started doodling again and I feel an urge to print bearing down

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Those would indeed make fantastic prints.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Whew! Took me a while to scroll through this entire thread but drat I gotta say there's a whole lotta talented people ITT. Especially loved everything by Friends Are Evil, Zoben, and sigma 6 :)

Earlier this summer, I bought an airbrush for painting my Warhammer miniatures. It's cool and fun, but I just really enjoy using the brush itself and now I want to explore painting in general. Didn't see a whole lot of airbrush submissions but I'm hoping you folks could give me a little direction with getting started. I've been looking at easels online, but like what should I buy in terms of canvas? Can I just use 8.5x11 printer paper since airbrush isn't a "wet" medium? I'm adapting my minis painting station, so I'm just looking to keep it relatively small scale for now.

Are there any sort of "must haves" in terms of stencil kits? I was looking over a local art supplier (Hyatts - they seem to have a large web presence, but I don't know if they're actually well known :v:) and all they seem to have for stencil kits are like, really specialized shapes - skulls, flames, mayan kind of stuff etc.

Any youtube channel recommendations? I'd love to find like a "The Bob Ross of Airbrushing" kinda channel. I've watched a variety of videos but haven't really settled on any I especially enjoy watching / listening to.

Thanks!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Whew! Took me a while to scroll through this entire thread but drat I gotta say there's a whole lotta talented people ITT. Especially loved everything by Friends Are Evil, Zoben, and sigma 6 :)

Earlier this summer, I bought an airbrush for painting my Warhammer miniatures. It's cool and fun, but I just really enjoy using the brush itself and now I want to explore painting in general. Didn't see a whole lot of airbrush submissions but I'm hoping you folks could give me a little direction with getting started. I've been looking at easels online, but like what should I buy in terms of canvas? Can I just use 8.5x11 printer paper since airbrush isn't a "wet" medium? I'm adapting my minis painting station, so I'm just looking to keep it relatively small scale for now.

Are there any sort of "must haves" in terms of stencil kits? I was looking over a local art supplier (Hyatts - they seem to have a large web presence, but I don't know if they're actually well known :v:) and all they seem to have for stencil kits are like, really specialized shapes - skulls, flames, mayan kind of stuff etc.

Any youtube channel recommendations? I'd love to find like a "The Bob Ross of Airbrushing" kinda channel. I've watched a variety of videos but haven't really settled on any I especially enjoy watching / listening to.

Thanks!

I don't have any experience with airbrush, but I expect that just normal-rear end printer paper is a bit too flimsy and will still warp and wrinkle from the marginal wetness of the airbrush paint. If you're just practicing, something heavier like cheap cardstock or even cardboard should work fine.

As for stencils. If you're ok with making your own, sheets of acetate should work reasonably well. Just print out the designs you want on paper and affix it to the acetate and cut out the design you want to paint with an x-acto knife. That should work fine unless you're using a solvent based paint which will start to melt the acetate a bit and make the stencil buckle and warp. You could get away with using a thick paper (Bristol, cardstock, or anything somewhat rigid but still easily cut) for stenciling.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks! Acetate sounds cheap and easy, I might just go that route. Paint wise, I'd be reusing the acrylics for my minis (Vallejo, Games Workshop, and Liquitex)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 9, 2020

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Ah ok. Depending on the body of the liquitex you might want to get some airbrush medium unless the paint's specifically formulated for use with airbushes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

edit; I lied, it's Createx. I always mix those 2 up :)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Createx is definitely the way to go. The "wicked createx" is the one you want to use to paint over spray paint. The wicked line has just enough solvent to allow the paint to stick to aerosol spray paint. So - for my next mural I plan on doing the block in with cans and then use the wicked to createx to add details over that.

This guy has been helping me get started. He recommends Iwata airbrushes above all else. Specifically the Iwata Eclipse. If you can afford the Iwata Microns, they are like the sports cars of fine airbrushes - VERY thin lines for VERY detailed work. However, the microns are stupid expensive. Like 4-500 or more. He just got an Iwata "Vault" for huge broad strokes but you can probably get a Husky paint gun from a hardware store and avoid paying the premium for Iwatas. So - I am going to either use a husky paint gun OR cans for the big stuff and my eclipse for the small stuff. I can't afford a micron and I have learned the hard way not to buy used airbrushes. The last two used Iwatas I bought both had jammed triggers so I have to take them apart and clean them. Last tip is to make sure to buy gravity or side feeds. The first eclipse I bought had a siphon feed and I really don't like that as much as the gravity / side feeds.

My friend said to use synthetic paper for airbrush work. He said some people use something called "Yupo".

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just bought some cheapo chinese Master brand stuff to see if I even enjoyed it for Warhammer's sake. It'll be a while before I upgrade, but I figured I'd go with Iwata next.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Quality of the airbrush makes a huge difference. Don't forget to clean the thing before and after each use. Windex with ammonia is what I was recommended. It is easy to both gunk up the trigger and the tip.
Here ya go
https://www.coastairbrush.com/categories.asp?cat=26
I was thinking of getting a Iwata Hi Line because I can't afford a Micron yet but as you can see the Microns are customized and very expensive.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 10, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I've used it for my minis plenty :)

But going from doing that to canvas work is a completely different animal obviously :v:

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Work in progress about the many physical and mental health problems that I am experiencing currently. I think I want to title it "Disconnected", but I am open to other suggestions for titles.

Made from PVC pipe, foam padding, CPAP air tube, fabric and calico (dyed with tea and cinnamon), metal wire, and distressed wooden chair. Will be further wrapped with barbed wire, attaching it to the chair itself. Likely to add more griming to it as well.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 10, 2020

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

That's cool. What will you do with it afterwards? Do you have somewhere to exhibit it? Do you just leave it in your living room?

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
It's going to be the centerpiece of a display I am making in a sunken part of my college's Grad-show exhibition. It will be flanked on either side by boxes which will house small scale versions in a variety of poses and styles, each reflecting a mental or physical state. I am hoping my combined works will be regarded well enough that I can enter a national exhibition in 2021. More photos will be shown once I have progressed further, and also for the display and how it looks for my graduation.

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
here is one I just completed. I made a thread in SA Mart for pet portraits and orders are starting to come in.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Sab669 posted:

Thanks!

Thanks, glad you liked my stuff :)

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
So a new drawing project I decided to work on is doing my own take on the Hordak redesign from the recent She-Ra reboot.

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
just wanted to share this cute Fresno Nightcrawler I did the other day!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Deep in the printing mines for the first time in a few months, getting in some production runs of some new pieces for the holidays

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's really wonderful stuff! Big fan of the way you did the landscapes.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Was inspired by RainbowFission's palpatine. Just a low effort sketch to get back into the groove.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Jack Daniels posted:

Good Goon Art.

Thank you Sir!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I designed my own christmas card again this year, and had them printed out (£25 including shipping for 50).

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Angrymog posted:

I designed my own christmas card again this year, and had them printed out (£25 including shipping for 50).

That's super cute, great job!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Messin around with my oil technique. Wet the oil a bit more than normal with more walnut oil. Not sure how I feel about it. Trying to reduce the number of layers i'm working. Still going to do a 2nd layer on the crow because I've got some cool oil iridescent blue that I want to layer on the wings. Also haven't decided what to do with the background.

The finch is ehhh a little muddy? I painted it in weird lighting but it was a fun study

Tried starting with black gesso and practiced some moss. Probably won't finish this particular one but hopefully something will happen in the future. I like the possibilities.

also been on the quest for the perfect palette that's the right size for me and also seals up so I can stop wasting as much paint due to drying. 8" square cake pan with a lid~

Dupersaurus - I am in love with your prints <3

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Hi thread! I am a goonette with too much free time on my hands. While I cannot really draw or paint anything too impressive, I am used to painting miniatures and also generally comfortable with creating tiny stuff. Lately I have been toying with seashells and coins to try and create small pieces of bisutery. It's fun!

I am now trying to decide if I want to produce those for selling (etsy or similar I guess) or if I'll keep then as quirky gifts for friends and family. They are not perfect by any means, there are some wobbly lines, messwd up paint and other stuff, but they don't look so bad from a distance (I think).

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Shellception posted:

Hi thread! I am a goonette with too much free time on my hands. While I cannot really draw or paint anything too impressive, I am used to painting miniatures and also generally comfortable with creating tiny stuff. Lately I have been toying with seashells and coins to try and create small pieces of bisutery. It's fun!

I am now trying to decide if I want to produce those for selling (etsy or similar I guess) or if I'll keep then as quirky gifts for friends and family. They are not perfect by any means, there are some wobbly lines, messwd up paint and other stuff, but they don't look so bad from a distance (I think).

Both these and the bird paintings above are beautiful. Oils scare me - apart from increased ventilation requirements the whole 'your cleaning rags may catch fire' is a bit of a worry.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Fire actually is fairly low risk as long as you aren't stuffing a ton of rags into a tight ball in a closed bin. I mostly use blue automotive paper towels and just make sure I don't use alot and I distribute them in my trash. I used one rag for all that.

Fumes wise - honestly you don't need solvents. They're lazy. You can clean brushes with vegetable oil and dawn soap. I've got one very small container that's tightly sealed with odorless mineral spirits that I rarely use. It's only if I need to break up gunk on a brush. I open my window just because paint out of the tube has a bit of a smell but it's just linseed oil not solvent.

If you want to try oil, do it! But open acrylics can probably emulate most of why people like oils so it isn't a huge deal.

:3 those shell earrings are so neat

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Those are wonderful!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I've been messing around with watercolors doing mostly monochrome portraits and I wanted to branch out a bit so I started a series of serial killers houses

Ed Gein

John Wayne Gacy

I have no art training and have aphantasia so I started out doing much worse work than this, I've spent about 2 hours a day practicing with watercolors for about a month now, everything is just experimentation I've avoided any actual learning so far and have found a pretty neat style with just gray watercolors :)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Those are good! They've got a really creepy ethereal quality to them.

I never had any formal watercolor training. It's not something they even would cover in art school. The only stuff I ever learned outside my own experimentation was like "use salt to make little mottled dots" and eventually someone told me to use resist to keep areas bright white.

Anyway, Learning by doing and practicing is great!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I've been watching Sid just explode with talent so incredibly fast it's been mind-blowing frankly. He already can do light and shadow and he needs to post some of his faces and dogs.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

lol okay well here is my kids and some dog's behinds that an old co-worker asked me to do for them

and i did a set of old movie monsters this is what really made me start doing all of this, after Frankenstein's Monster turned out as well as it did I realized I have at least a bit of talent

spinz there has seriously been one of the main reasons I've kept at it, no matter how i think it looks she's always got something positive to say about what i paint and it's kept me going ahen I've gotten down on myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Did some woodburning for our elderly neighbor who likes bears