Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

BlackMK4 posted:

Your video is private!

The AIM stuff is cool, but it has a 720p max record resolution since the data is overlaid live :(

Crap, I have two versions of the video uploaded (30 fps and then 60), was testing and browser came up with the private one from the tab bar... lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCWrNZyBO0w

is correct link.

Ah! That is the AIM system. Very impressive to have that out of the box. I use TrackAddict for collecting of GPS, OBD2 and triggering of GoPro. It does a decent job 'on the spot' but is very lacking compared to AIM. To get good rendering I need to use RaceRender on PC/Mac... not trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

You guys are smart as gently caress at this. Can you tell me how to overlap my Harry’s lap time vis stuff with my gopro footage?? I’m well chuffed with the new gopro but wish I could add time and map etc :)

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Bape Culture posted:

You guys are smart as gently caress at this. Can you tell me how to overlap my Harry’s lap time vis stuff with my gopro footage?? I’m well chuffed with the new gopro but wish I could add time and map etc :)

I use RaceRender, which is 'agnostic' to video and data... https://racerender.com/RR3/Features.html There is a free edition and a couple levels above it (free has a logo you can't remove). HPTuners bought the app and has been making it better and better. :)

Here is a template that matches Harry's Lap Timer: https://github.com/anthonymckay/HLT-RaceRender that can be used as a template in Race Render.

From there, you can change the main video (built-in capture from the iPhone/Android, GoPro, etc), use PiP, change the data vis, make data point to other fields, offset GoPro/data streams...

The visualization from my videos was made by hand. It can be used as an example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzanp8orpy0saod/TrackLayout%28GForce%2CLapTime%2CPiP%29.rrt?dl=0

I use approved 'interoperability' products: https://racerender.com/TrackAddict/docs/Interop.html such as my GPS system (Bluetooth), OBD2 dongle (BLE), GoPro (Wifi). TrackAddict takes care of all of the triggering and data logging and will then send relevant video/data to RaceRender over wifi when I am home.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I use RaceRender as well and grab data from my AIM Solo 2. The only part that sucks is lining up the data with the video and that's largely due to the insane amount of data the logger collects and that I dont' want 5 minutes of sitting in a grid as part of my videos.

The new gopros have GPS and some telemetry as well; obviously not as nice as something plugged in to your ECU but it should be enough. Isn't there some software suite made by GoPro to do this?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jink posted:

Crap, I have two versions of the video uploaded (30 fps and then 60), was testing and browser came up with the private one from the tab bar... lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCWrNZyBO0w

is correct link.

Ah! That is the AIM system. Very impressive to have that out of the box. I use TrackAddict for collecting of GPS, OBD2 and triggering of GoPro. It does a decent job 'on the spot' but is very lacking compared to AIM. To get good rendering I need to use RaceRender on PC/Mac... not trivial.

Jesus, that sounds really good, I figured it was an M3 until I saw 335is on the dash.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Gigi Galli posted:

I use RaceRender as well and grab data from my AIM Solo 2. The only part that sucks is lining up the data with the video and that's largely due to the insane amount of data the logger collects and that I dont' want 5 minutes of sitting in a grid as part of my videos.

The new gopros have GPS and some telemetry as well; obviously not as nice as something plugged in to your ECU but it should be enough. Isn't there some software suite made by GoPro to do this?

Oh yes, lining up data and video really sucks. I spent 30 minutes or so lining up my two session videos on my YouTube account... My trick is setting up a tach data vis and watching the real tach. It still isn't perfect.

I used to use a COBB Accessport for my data logging and would record the emphasized button pressing when starting a log. Made synchronizing much easier. I'd love for an easier solution such as an emitted high frequency tone that the software picks up, a blip in throttle it can detect, a flash of light... SOMETHING. :(

I read about the new GoPros (the 9?) but didn't see much in the way of telemetry or other goodies. Garmin has been pumping out vehicle cameras (Garmin Virb) and now has a 'driving instructor' that watches you drive and suggests improvements...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/690726 Pricey but it is freaking awesome. A friend of mine has one and the system showed him plenty of time that can be gained, in real time.

BlackMK4 posted:

Jesus, that sounds really good, I figured it was an M3 until I saw 335is on the dash.

Oh thanks. I wish the mic was working but the condenser mic I was using outputted static with the GoPro 4; the stupid analog 1/8" cable sucks. That was all phone mic.

It's a fun car. E92 M3 rear end, M3 GWS and GTS TCU software. TD04 turbos soon. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS-QMeZoo5w

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well, rainy day a couple days ago and my car is filthy but I figured I'd stop by the scenic overlook since I was there.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

davebo posted:

Well, rainy day a couple days ago and my car is filthy but I figured I'd stop by the scenic overlook since I was there.

Rad color! How have you enjoyed your Stinger? The SO is a bit of a fan and routinely points out when one drives by.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

thealphabetsez posted:

Rad color! How have you enjoyed your Stinger? The SO is a bit of a fan and routinely points out when one drives by.

Well I still miss the 98 Corvette I had for 13 years, but I can't put a baby seat in that, so the Stinger came out at the perfect time. Targa top aside, I still say the Stinger is the perfect amalgam of my older Corvette and the Optima SX I passed down to my wife. It's heavy but faster to 60 than the Vette, and the color just makes me happy to look at it. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who thinks it'd perfectly suit their use case, but you can say that about most cars.

It doesn't get driven much during corona, and the job I had that required me to cram a ton of gear in it with the seats down may not exist for a while, but liftbacks are always better than a trunk in my mind. I will say that I love the seats for driving around town, but I don't know that I'd want a road trip longer than 3 hours in them.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That's a color combo I can appreciate.

Most of my stuff is in the Porsche thread but it's getting near enough "complete" for now to make an effortpost here soon.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I should really put a thread up, but I just finished rebuilding my shop after it was hit by a tornado last year.

The car on the left is an all-out track car with a k24 in front of a BMW M4 DCT in front of a Ford 8.8. we developed all of the adapter stuff for the k to DCT and I have stuff out being scanned now so that I can put a DCT behind the rotary in the other FD.

The car under the cover is another FD but that one's rotary and staying rotary.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bird cooch posted:

I should really put a thread up, but I just finished rebuilding my shop after it was hit by a tornado last year.

The car on the left is an all-out track car with a k24 in front of a BMW M4 DCT in front of a Ford 8.8. we developed all of the adapter stuff for the k to DCT and I have stuff out being scanned now so that I can put a DCT behind the rotary in the other FD.

For emphasis. Interesting swaps, there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Suburban Dad posted:

For emphasis. Interesting swaps, there.

Indeed, though one of those roadtrip guys on YouTube have an FD with a K24 in it, it's using the stock FD trans, I think, and they're running the stock diff in it until it explodes. The other guy has a single turbo FD, though.

Also, I'm jealous of your shop.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

bird cooch posted:

Pretty cool. Where do you go about buying donor M4 DCT's? (without spending $$$, I have to assume these are not cheap)

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Pretty cool. Where do you go about buying donor M4 DCT's? (without spending $$$, I have to assume these are not cheap)

Salvage yards. They aren't insane as there's not a ton of uses for them. expect 1800-2500$.

Also I did put a thread up.

Darchangel posted:

Indeed, though one of those roadtrip guys on YouTube have an FD with a K24 in it, it's using the stock FD trans, I think, and they're running the stock diff in it until it explodes. The other guy has a single turbo FD, though.

Yeah that guy bought that car partially done and I don't want to be too big of a jerk but their work is pretty hacky. be interesting to see if he can pay to have it completed. The horribly wrapped yellow car is also pretty rough. But hey they're doing stuff so that's good.

There's actually a guy in Scotland who has a K20 running in front of a DCT in an FD and I admire his... Bush mechanic ethic? It works he's broken it a bunch of times. I'm really not trying to talk down on these guys because anybody working on stuff especially new stuff is to be lauded. But. I'm not exactly welding and input shaft adapter onto a rando flange and calling that done. (He did, it broke immediately).

I'm an aerospace guy so I'm really really picky.

Edit:re shop.

Thank you so much! I have been working on it really hard for a year. The sad shop that was there before was mostly destroyed by a tornado so I have been slowly building it back up. There's some pictures in my thread.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 11, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

G&G is pretty wholesome car content, the Bens are super nice and their videos look fantastic as they both had background in the field beforehand.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
It's no slight on the guys, they seem nice. That wrap is just.... really poorly done. The gaps and panels are cut wrong and it won't last and it will look awfull in person. If you don't lay into thing like door sils, trunks and hoods when doing colors like that, all of the gaps are going to be enhanced visually and the edges of the wrap will fail.

See how the gas cap and the door line really pops out because of the darker color paint underneath? it takes a lot more time to remove the gas cap and light the vinyl into the recess and wrap it completely around the gas door and do the same with every other panel Gap but it's worth it.

This car is silver underneath and the door gaps would pop even more of it wasn't laid in.

Also that k swapped car had been around for quite a while before he bought it and it is really really janky. The production effort is high and there's money there, so I'm sure it will turn out. Between the TF works and the k miata parts he bought all he needs to do is wire it up and connect some plumbing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

bird cooch posted:

Salvage yards. They aren't insane as there's not a ton of uses for them. expect 1800-2500$.

Also I did put a thread up.

I'll go find it, but maybe a link would be helpful for those with less :effort: to spend than me? :D

edit: found it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950973
I appreciate the effort put into you picture edits, and the pointer. They amused me. :)

quote:

Yeah that guy bought that car partially done and I don't want to be too big of a jerk but their work is pretty hacky. be interesting to see if he can pay to have it completed. The horribly wrapped yellow car is also pretty rough. But hey they're doing stuff so that's good.

Rhyno posted:

G&G is pretty wholesome car content, the Bens are super nice and their videos look fantastic as they both had background in the field beforehand.

Agreed. I watched all the RX-7 vids, and yeah, both FDs needed some work, but they acknowledged that, while explaining why some things were skipped for the moment to meet the needs of their schedule.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 11, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

bird cooch posted:

There's actually a guy in Scotland who has a K20 running in front of a DCT in an FD and I admire his... Bush mechanic ethic? It works he's broken it a bunch of times. I'm really not trying to talk down on these guys because anybody working on stuff especially new stuff is to be lauded. But. I'm not exactly welding and input shaft adapter onto a rando flange and calling that done. (He did, it broke immediately).

Do you post on RRAX? The dude that worked on this car originally posted some more backstory of the FD there

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Do you post on RRAX? The dude that worked on this car originally posted some more backstory of the FD there

I don't post there but I think I came across that while I was trying to research this swap. there's a couple of running and driving ones but I haven't really seen one in the US and they all seem to be big shop productions with dry sump and all sorts of cool stuff. If you have a link I would love to take a look and see if it's the same thing I saw.

I actually know somebody who looked at that car at one point for some reason or another but we are all super picky a hole car elitist (not on purpose we're just all aerospace guys and so we're really really picky) I am insanely harsh on my own work and have yet to do something that I am truly happy with.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Mine turned 3 years old as of today and went through its end of warranty check and first MOT with flying colours. Hasn’t skipped a beat in the 2.5 years I’ve had it, wonder how long that will last for.

Have to say it’s quite amazing how a car that easily thrashes 80% of other vehicles I encounter is by far and away the least powerful car on this page by a mile.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Have to say it’s quite amazing how a car that easily thrashes 80% of other vehicles I encounter is by far and away the least powerful car on this page by a mile.

Power is often a giant crutch :ssh:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Tesla called me yesterday and said the car is ready for pickup today. I went to pick up the car, and the front bumper where I hit the barrel is still dented and scratched to poo poo.

The Tech comes out, says, "oh, we must have missed that; we will have to call the insurance company to get approval to fix the bumper."

Those motherfuckers took the front bumper off and put it back on during the repair. They had to have noticed the giant dent and scratches where I explicitly told them I hit the barrel. Right?
A new front bumper is around 5k~ on a model 3, which would have totaled the car out. I feel they didn't list the front bumper so that the insurance wouldn't total the car, and they would get paid to repair the car. Does that sound conspiracy-theorist?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Tesla called me yesterday and said the car is ready for pickup today. I went to pick up the car, and the front bumper where I hit the barrel is still dented and scratched to poo poo.

The Tech comes out, says, "oh, we must have missed that; we will have to call the insurance company to get approval to fix the bumper."

Those motherfuckers took the front bumper off and put it back on during the repair. They had to have noticed the giant dent and scratches where I explicitly told them I hit the barrel. Right?
A new front bumper is around 5k~ on a model 3, which would have totaled the car out. I feel they didn't list the front bumper so that the insurance wouldn't total the car, and they would get paid to repair the car. Does that sound conspiracy-theorist?

Already answered in PM, but man, Tesla screwed me out of a Tesla. :mad:

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

Have some pictures of my land yacht from back in March when I took it to the Amelia Island Concours d'Lemons.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DoomTrainPhD posted:

feel they didn't list the front bumper so that the insurance wouldn't total the car, and they would get paid to repair the car. Does that sound conspiracy-theorist?

Shops for sure play games with insurance sometimes, but usually on borderline things.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Shops for sure play games with insurance sometimes, but usually on borderline things.

They tried to claim that State Farm only approved the removal and installation for the bumper. They sent me the form State Farm send them, and at the top of the form it says:
"If additional damage is found, have the repair facility use the Request Supplement link at b2b.statefarm.com."

I then called State Farm, and they confirmed that every line item that says "R&I" needs to be inspected for damage, and they should have sent a supplement for the bumper. Basically confirming that Tesla is lying through their teeth and are even bigger shitheads than State Farm itself.

So now Tesla needs to remove a bunch of poo poo again and inspect every item that falls under R&I. What in the gently caress.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

DoomTrainPhD posted:

They tried to claim that State Farm only approved the removal and installation for the bumper. They sent me the form State Farm send them, and at the top of the form it says:
"If additional damage is found, have the repair facility use the Request Supplement link at b2b.statefarm.com."

I then called State Farm, and they confirmed that every line item that says "R&I" needs to be inspected for damage, and they should have sent a supplement for the bumper. Basically confirming that Tesla is lying through their teeth and are even bigger shitheads than State Farm itself.

So now Tesla needs to remove a bunch of poo poo again and inspect every item that falls under R&I. What in the gently caress.

And the bumper was visibly damaged from the moment you brought it in. There is no way they just missed it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

And the bumper was visibly damaged from the moment you brought it in. There is no way they just missed it.

Well yeah, they removed the loving thing and put it back on. The lights don't even line up, there's absolutely 100% no way in hell they missed that poo poo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

Have some pictures of my land yacht from back in March when I took it to the Amelia Island Concours d'Lemons.

Gorgeous, i love it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

That owns.

Do you happen to have more pics of the (formerly) green F100 in the background of the first shot?

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

Raluek posted:

That owns.

Do you happen to have more pics of the (formerly) green F100 in the background of the first shot?

I don't, unfortunately. I do recall that it was powered by a Cummins turbo diesel, though!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This looks more comfortable than my house. I love it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wife wanted a fun car and it arrived today. 1979 Fiat 126 completely restored in 2005 and engine rebuilt in 2018. It's tiny and fun to drive. Gave it a quick wash but we'll get some decent pictures this weekend.

Parked between the 1977 320i and the 1978 Van Diemen RF78

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My wife loves the 126, and they are cheap, but I'm pretty confident that I have no chance in hell of fitting in it with my 6' 4" long legged body. How tall are you if I may ask? Lovely colour as well!

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 17, 2020

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

We're both 5'6" and have the seats slid back about half way I think. They really are tiny cars, 12ft long total...three feet shorter than the seemingly short i3.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Ah, the wife will fit, but I don't think I have a hope in hell. I tried a 124 Coupé with hilarious results. I didn't think my clutch foot / leg could contort into the angles I had to put it into.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The pedal box area is also cramped so if you have large wide feet you may be out of luck. It makes a similar age 911 pedals look spacious.

Really makes you appreciate how your feet and legs are the crunch zone :stonklol:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My uncle taught me to drive stick in a 126, and I can still conjure up the smell of 70’s vinyl and un-catalyzed gasoline. Very fond memories, I love that car!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'll be reteaching the wife how to drive a manual in it, she hasn't in over 10 years and that was just big trucks at low speed. I will say even though I've never driven anything but manuals I'm inconsistent at best getting a smooth start out of this thing, maybe I've been spoiled with power and torque.

First stop we made after unloading from the truck was gas station because it was very empty. Start filling up and a guy comes running over from the Euro car shop next door. He's a fairly recent Polish immigrant who grew up with 126s and told me stories about cruising the autobahn at 140kph with his entire family crammed in the thing. Also gave me some tips about common issues and temporary fixes to get home. I guess we found our shop if there's anything I don't feel like tackling.