Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Anyone else try to put subtitles on in the Expanse and got them just in Malay?

e- nm, googled the fix

GD_American fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

GD_American posted:

Anyone else try to put subtitles on in the Expanse and got them just in Malay?

Bahasa Melayu is the first option for me, but English was just 3 below it. Try scrolling down.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

GD_American posted:

Amos is the poo poo. Who can hate Amos?

He just punches people no matter what, even people I like gah

I'll try again

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Desperado Bones posted:

:allears: I loved everything about it. Then I got sad because this is one of those movies I would love to see in a theater.

If theaters come back, a double bill of Mank and Hail Caesar would be rad

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Inspector Hound posted:

He just punches people no matter what, even people I like gah

I'll try again

He... doesn’t punch some people he could have in episode 2 of the new season (which, btw, is excellent, much improved over S4)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

took a small vacation to a teeny cabin in the woods, and rewatched lord of the rings and first time watched thor: ragnarok

was really fun comparing how much popcorn movies have evolved since lotr. lots of it felt like apples and oranges, to the point that they were speaking completely different cinematic languages, but man oh man...the cgi?

it's a stale take, I know, but I can't tell you how much I appreciated the occasional practical or blended cgi + miniature shots. ragnorak 100% avoids the "tennis ball on a stick" problem, but man did the cgi shots of Norway hurt after seeing all the beautiful New Zealand scenery.

E. the humor of Taiki Waititi felt so nice after hours of dour medieval manly men.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If it makes you feel better the chicken Norway hurts Waittiti just as much. It was a last minute change and they had like 48 hours to do it before the premiere.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If it makes you feel better the chicken Norway hurts Waittiti just as much. It was a last minute change and they had like 48 hours to do it before the premiere.

Yeah, I remember that whole scene was gonna happen in New York, finding Odin in the I think a retirement home, and fight Hela on some alley or something. I forgot why they had to do the sudden change.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That makes a ton of sense. It looked remarkably dated.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, I remember that whole scene was gonna happen in New York, finding Odin in the I think a retirement home, and fight Hela on some alley or something. I forgot why they had to do the sudden change.

I just looked it up and there are two reasons given by Waititi. Test audiences were too sad about the original death scene so they went for something more peaceful, and what I'm guessing was the big one, they were told they needed to establish Norway as the future Asgard home for Endgame.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I thought they were in Scotland.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't ever that scene at all, I thought the last scene was in asgard

mystes
May 31, 2006

The parts of the film when Thor was in Asgard were bad anyway.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 16, 2020

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Collateral posted:

I thought they were in Scotland.

Nah, apparently its supposed to be the same town in Norway where Odin hid the Tessarect in Captain America 1.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

mystes posted:

The parts of the film when Thor was in Asgard were bad anyway.

It was yet again a good movie saddled with Marvel overarching franchise bullshit. I would have loved it completely if they had made Spartacus but with Thor and Hulk.

It's such a shame that Jeff Goldblum's fantastic villain gave way to S+M Cate Blanchett for that reason.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

It was yet again a good movie saddled with Marvel overarching franchise bullshit. I would have loved it completely if they had made Spartacus but with Thor and Hulk.

It's such a shame that Jeff Goldblum's fantastic villain gave way to S+M Cate Blanchett for that reason.
Yeah, agreed.

Nihonniboku posted:

Nah, apparently its supposed to be the same town in Norway where Odin hid the Tessarect in Captain America 1.
Why do you have to have watched all 500 marvel movies for any of this stuff to make sense and honestly even if you have, who can even remember all this poo poo?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

mystes posted:

Yeah, agreed.

Why do you have to have watched all 500 marvel movies for any of this stuff to make sense and honestly even if you have, who can even remember all this poo poo?

It's like the Assassin's Creed games, I'm only going to play the ones I'm interested in but the studio insists on shoehorning in a present-day plot to link all the games together. So in the middle of assassinating people I have to do a computer hacking minigame for a storyI don't understand.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
HBO Max is finally on Roku devices starting tomorrow.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mystes posted:

Yeah, agreed.

20 movies, released over 11 years. But, it's not important to the plot, more of an easter egg.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

HBO Max is finally on Roku devices starting tomorrow.

Also PS5 received an app today. I expected way less from HBO tbh. Thank god. All around great news as someone with a Roku TV and a PS5 taht I use for all streaming lol.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Don't know about PS5 but for Roku and Amazon, it was the platform providers that were being obstinate dicks. HBO claims they had Max apps ready for Roku and Fire before they launched the service.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh I don’t think HBO is dicks, they are just famous for taking forever to put their services on new consoles. It took them almost 2 years to put HBO go on PS4 after there was a PS3 app so I was assuming the worst.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
When I click on the HBO Max app it tells me only available on PS4.......what.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Speaking of HBO max, Stargirl is a great show. I think it might be my favorite of the Arrowverses.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

promising carl posted:

Don't know about PS5 but for Roku and Amazon, it was the platform providers that were being obstinate dicks. HBO claims they had Max apps ready for Roku and Fire before they launched the service.

I mean I’m hearing it was about what cut of the revenue Roku gets, and it’s possible they were asking for too much, but given ATT’s general mishandling of anything related to Time Warner from day 1 I’m convinced they share at least some of the blame.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

promising carl posted:

Speaking of HBO max, Stargirl is a great show. I think it might be my favorite of the Arrowverses.

Stargirl takes place on a different Earth than the CW shows, although they did cross over in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

Also PS5 received an app today. I expected way less from HBO tbh. Thank god. All around great news as someone with a Roku TV and a PS5 taht I use for all streaming lol.

How difficult was it to get a PS5? Did you have to stalk online stores using trackers and refreshing the page until one was available? That's what I had to do with the Switch, and I still couldn't get that for almost six months after it first came out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Hmm

This dumb year is coming to a close

Big winner Queen’s Gambit?

Are there any candidates that came close I missed out on?

Undone.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Deadite posted:

I would say season 2 of What We Do In The Shadows was my favorite show of 2020, but I also really enjoyed How To with John Wilson

Oh yeah and this

E: And Big Mouth.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

Agreed that everything on Asgard is far lesser than Kirby Gladiator Trash Planet, however I enjoy the thematics of the Asgard stuff enough that I'm glad it's still in the film. But ideally there would've been less of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

How difficult was it to get a PS5? Did you have to stalk online stores using trackers and refreshing the page until one was available? That's what I had to do with the Switch, and I still couldn't get that for almost six months after it first came out.

Not difficult at all, because I got to an Amazon pre order on the day they went live on my first try. Right now trying to get one probably isn't even worth the hassle though. I'm sure they will be easy enough to find in a few months.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The last episode of Blacklist being a hugely disappointing, unwatchably bad literal cartoon is pretty much on brand for this year, as well as the show Blacklist

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

The last episode of Blacklist being a hugely disappointing, unwatchably bad literal cartoon is pretty much on brand for this year, as well as the show Blacklist

didn't they have to do some horrendous mix of live action and freshmen year blender animation?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched the pilot of The Stand and it’s... okay. I tried watching the original miniseries as a kid but fell asleep halfway through I think.

Is Harold supposed to be insufferable?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Josh Lyman posted:

I watched the pilot of The Stand and it’s... okay. I tried watching the original miniseries as a kid but fell asleep halfway through I think.

Is Harold supposed to be insufferable?

yes, absolutely. he's a selfish, spiteful prick and is absolutely meant to come off as such.

e: that he's humanized to some degree in spite of this is kind of the point of the novel as a whole, but i don't think you'll be unhappy with the route and the provisos it takes in order to make that point. it's not an apology

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 18, 2020

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Third day
Still haunts me and has much to munch on for a story
That's my 2020 pick

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

didn't they have to do some horrendous mix of live action and freshmen year blender animation?

Yeah it was pretty bad, I still haven't brought myself to watch it and I plowed through the whole show up to this point. They even do a couple cast interviews--I'm dead serious--before it switches to animation, to explain why they're slapping you in the front of your face for watching this far. I hope it gets a season 8 because I'm a hopeless slave to it, but the just outcome would be ~6 episode final season or outright cancellation. I'm just disappointed. Frasier 007! Then what looked like cel-shaded video game before I turned it off in horror.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's hilarious that they didn't realize they could get a 2D artist to create something vastly better in the same timeframe. Like, just getting a solid storyboard artist could've lent it an air of legitimacy and it would've been done in a few days max.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Inspector Hound posted:

Yeah it was pretty bad, I still haven't brought myself to watch it and I plowed through the whole show up to this point. They even do a couple cast interviews--I'm dead serious--before it switches to animation, to explain why they're slapping you in the front of your face for watching this far. I hope it gets a season 8 because I'm a hopeless slave to it, but the just outcome would be ~6 episode final season or outright cancellation. I'm just disappointed. Frasier 007! Then what looked like cel-shaded video game before I turned it off in horror.

Season 8 started airing like a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Junkie Disease posted:

The Third day
Still haunts me and has much to munch on for a story
That's my 2020 pick

Really! I thought it was kind of dull and frustrating, but to each their own. I enjoyed the other show that aired before it on HBO Monday nights, We Are Who We Are much more.

I watched so much television during quarantine this year, it's hard to remember what there all was. I definitely liked The Queen's Gambit. The Expanse is off to a great start so far. The Flight Attendant was a fun surprise. Raise by Wolves was thrilling. The Mandalorian of course. And the final season of The Clone Wars. I Know This Much Is True was heartbreaking. Pen15 is worth mentioning too.

Worst new show of the year absolutely goes to Away. And Hollywood.