Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Corran Horn's a loving cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Angry Salami posted:

Corran Horn's a loving cop.

With a well documented history of loving too!

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I remember liking I, Jedi a lot, but looking at the publish date I would have been like 11 or 12 when I first read it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Except we're not allowed to call it the Imperial Starfleet, despite that being the term from the Empire Strikes Back opening crawl, because it's too Star Trek.

? It was called that on Mandalorian earlier this season.

Also the new Thrawn prequel was pretty good, definitely doesn't revisit overfamiliar locales, drops Thrawn's middling inner monologues and revisits one of the scenes from Alliances to hilarious effect. It does do back and forth timeskips, though.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
along those lines, i've heard the new disney eu prevents people from using or mentioning bothans

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Horizon Burning posted:

along those lines, i've heard the new disney eu prevents people from using or mentioning bothans

...why?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

that's what no one is sure about! from memory, they even removed them as an alien species from one of the rpg sourcebooks when they were reprinted. it's like they want to keep the term 'bothan spies' ambiguous as to whether it's an alien species or a special alliance spy network.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

surf rock posted:

- Corran dogfighting with Rogue Squadron and thinking [...] that Tycho was like impossible to beat

I really did enjoy that line of "Wow, this is nothing like flying against him in the simulator. I can see the future, and I'm still getting chumped."

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Horizon Burning posted:

They want to avoid any possible association with P. W. Botha.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Corran Horn is a [...] goddamn [bad character]

Fixed that for you.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Arbite posted:

? It was called that on Mandalorian earlier this season.

Maybe your fancy TV shows can do it but I got a hard no from Disney editorial on using “Starfleet.”

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Any good books on the rise of the First Order?

(Don't hate me for asking this.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cessna posted:

Bloodline gets into it a bit. Less the First Order themselves and more the state of the galaxy that led to the ability for them to rise.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

General Battuta posted:

You should read my OFFICIALLY CANON star wars story "The Final Order" which is all about the fascism of the Empire and how there's no 'clean Starfleet' (to echo the noxious 'clean Wehrmacht' myth). Except we're not allowed to call it the Imperial Starfleet, despite that being the term from the Empire Strikes Back opening crawl, because it's too Star Trek.

so what are the rules? i assume its "dont mention old poo poo unless we give you thumbs up and nothing that doesnt sound star warsy"

Cessna posted:

mandalorian and it sounds like other tv shows will touch on it.

surf rock posted:

I do remember liking that part of it. I think he also had the power of energy absorption? Like when Vader just hand-waved Han's blaster bolt at their Cloud City dinner. Honestly, make Jedi more like X-Men imo.

i always assumed the vader hand deflect was mixed of him being a robotman and force powers.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Horizon Burning posted:

that's what no one is sure about! from memory, they even removed them as an alien species from one of the rpg sourcebooks when they were reprinted. it's like they want to keep the term 'bothan spies' ambiguous as to whether it's an alien species or a special alliance spy network.

Or something very odd from legal came up.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Xenomrph posted:

Fixed that for you.

What! But that isn't what I said at all!

Cessna posted:

General Battuta's The Final Order provided a pretty interesting perspective on what the First Order is, I thought.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
One question I had about the old EU was what story was Keyan Farlander part of? I remember seeing him pop up from time to time in the NJO, as a Jedi and a General, and everyone seemed to know him and like him. He seemed like an important side character and someone who had been the star of a book or series, but I don’t remember reading about him.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VaultAggie posted:

One question I had about the old EU was what story was Keyan Farlander part of? I remember seeing him pop up from time to time in the NJO, as a Jedi and a General, and everyone seemed to know him and like him. He seemed like an important side character and someone who had been the star of a book or series, but I don’t remember reading about him.

He was the main character of the X-Wing flight sim game, and kept getting referenced by various authors after.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's the surviving Y Wing pilot from A New Hope.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I thiiiink the only place he gets any significant characterization is the novella included with the X-Wing game and strategy guide. The actual player in-game is a blank slate archetype with no dialogue.

I'm pretty sure future works retconned (or outright ignored) him being Force Sensitive, and nuCanon changed it so a Alderaan survivor named Evaan Verlaine flew that surviving Y-Wing.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 19, 2020

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Cross-Section posted:

I thiiiink the only place he gets any significant characterization is the novella included with the X-Wing game and strategy guide. The actual player in-game is a blank slate archetype with no dialogue.

I'm pretty sure future works retconned (or outright ignored) him being Force Sensitive

He was still very blank, but he got to be a big jedi admiral in the vong books.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cross-Section posted:

I'm pretty sure future works retconned (or outright ignored) him being Force Sensitive, and nuCanon changed it so a Alderaan survivor named Evaan Verlaine flew that surviving Y-Wing.

NuCanon can get hosed, Keyan Farlander was at Yavin. :colbert:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Ceebees posted:

He was still very blank, but he got to be a big jedi admiral in the vong books.

Oops, I think I confused him with Maarek Stele there

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cross-Section posted:

Oops, I think I confused him with Maarek Stele there

Stele and Farlander aren't that different as they're blank slate force sensitive pilots. Stele is just more of a fascist since he joined the Emperor's Gestapo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Aaron Allston then did a really confusing thing in one of his late-EU books where he brought back Stele as a close friend of Lando, which made no sense.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

Aaron Allston then did a really confusing thing in one of his late-EU books where he brought back Stele as a close friend of Lando, which made no sense.

Not a friend, just someone he called in a favor from

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
What the hell, this is pretty crazy:

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-the-vow-of-silver-dawn-china-exclusive-novel-adds-canon-sector-galaxy

They’ve done foreign language adaptions of material before with the various manga, and I guess you could count some Star Wars Marvel UK unique material that’s never been reprinted elsewhere. But to get a canon novel for the Chinese market tied into the High Republic with no plans to translate? Wow.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Haven't they done a few exclusive Japanese stuff before too?

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Did the Rookie One dude from the Rebel Assault games become a Jedi too?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teek posted:

What the hell, this is pretty crazy:

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-the-vow-of-silver-dawn-china-exclusive-novel-adds-canon-sector-galaxy

They’ve done foreign language adaptions of material before with the various manga, and I guess you could count some Star Wars Marvel UK unique material that’s never been reprinted elsewhere. But to get a canon novel for the Chinese market tied into the High Republic with no plans to translate? Wow.

You know that novel is going to have some weird weird poo poo...specifically for the Mainland market.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
So what is this new sector of the galaxy that is being added in the novel? I read through the article, but it doesn't actually appear to mention anywhere despite making it seem like a bigger deal than the novel being exclusive to chinese-speaking readers.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Huh. I always thought Star Wars was historically unpopular in China. I guess it's too big a market to ignore.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
star wars isn't popular at all in china. i'm fairly sure this 'star wars' novel is going to be, shall we say, Chinese fiction with star wars characteristics. if they're not planning on translating it, that means it's probably basically a weird cultivation novel with lightsabers instead of swords which would alienate western audiences. someone's already translating it on reddit. it reads about how you expect.

quote:

The Quarren was stunned. “… This is worthy of the Jedis’ famed omnipotence, the final link in the chain of evidence is here! As long as you submit this dossier to the Senate in the name of the Jedi Order, it should be enough to merit acceptance. Jamie Brasen’s evil rule ends here!”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Disney has made content exclusively for foreign markets before. They made a really good anime called Fireball that isn't available outside Japan. They have a whole subsidiary, Disney India, that produces content exclusively for India.

I don't think there needs to be a nefarious reason for Disney to make something just for China.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read the Tie Fighter comic. It's good. I was slightly dreading that it would just be like, oh these guys are good guys but the officers are all evil so the good guys turn traitor or are double agents or defect immediately or something. But it didn't do that at all. Instead it was all about how you could fight for the Empire and still see yourself as a good person. They saw the Empire as just a continuation of the Republic and the Rebellion as basically following in the footsteps of the Separatists. They were just fighting for peace and order.

I actually really liked it, so it kinda sucked when issue five is just "Oh the Emperor died END OF COMIC" I wish it had gone on longer following the pilots before the end of the Empire and I wish it had continued on after the Emperor died.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The 90s X-wing comic storyline "In the Empire's Service" is kind of like that. There is clearly a lot of the X-wing comic DNA in both the TIE Fighter comic and Squadrons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One of the things I really like about Tie Fighter is that it has a fairly insidious story to it when you start looking at it more closely. It shares a lot with the Verhoeven Starship Troopers film where if you're not careful you can get swept up in its own propaganda and start seeing yourself as a noble defender of order and prosperity rather than as a violent oppressor.

Super Bunny Hop did a video on Tie Fighter a few years ago but his recent video on Star Wars Squadrons does a deeper dive into how hosed up parts of Tie Fighter got when looked at from the outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84hM3t2j1RM

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, the great thing about TIE Fighter is that you spend like one mission being the idealized peacekeeper that Imperial propaganda would probably emphasize, and the rest of the game fighting against various middle managers all trying to murder each other to rank up. It's a shockingly honest portrayal of life in a giant fascist military machine.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, the great thing about TIE Fighter is that you spend like one mission being the idealized peacekeeper that Imperial propaganda would probably emphasize, and the rest of the game fighting against various middle managers all trying to murder each other to rank up. It's a shockingly honest portrayal of life in a giant fascist military machine.

Or you go into a system beset by a small-scale civil war and end up not only uniting both sides against the Empire in a (futile) effort of resistance, but you also (warcrimes spoilers for a nearly 30 year old game ahead) kidnapped the children of their leaders and you basically never hear about them again because like one mission after that you're off to the rear end-end of nowhere to help build an outpost for Admiral Thrawn

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Mercy Kill is also pretty good and should go on that list in the OP. It puts a cap on Wraith Squadron and gives most everyone their deserved happy endings. As opposed to the dogshit the rest of the franchise turned into for the heroes.