Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PCjr sidecar posted:

so you know heroes was a trash fire? turns out it was even more so

https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/heroes-leonard-roberts-ali-larter-1234854439/

completely unsurprising, but still depressing.

ironic, then, that larter was a terrible actress and had some of the worst characters on the show. i would groan when scenes revolved around her and was pretty annoyed when they killed her off only to soap-ily bring her back as a sibling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
heroes completely fell apart when they weren't allowed to get rid of any characters like they had originally planned all along

of course now that happens all the time on anthology shows but they were a few years too early

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

haveblue posted:

heroes completely fell apart when they weren't allowed to get rid of any characters like they had originally planned all along

of course now that happens all the time on anthology shows but they were a few years too early

nah they just should have stopped with one season. they could have fixed this with heroes reborn but it was also a complete shitshow

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

actually thanks to the solo movie the kessel run is now canonically difficult because there's a big space monster in there

space monsters are my favourite navigational hazards

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Shaggar posted:

i know the navigators were so hosed up on spice that they were mutated super humans, but idk if it was just that it gave them the ability to do the calculations or if they actually had the ability to fold space.

little of each i think

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Improbable Lobster posted:

space monsters are my favourite navigational hazards

the elon thread is over there

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I always thought it was the calculations, except not so much "calculations" as using prescience to eliminate all the paths that resulted in collisions with stars and focusing on the one that got them to where they wanted to go. the space folding is then performed by an unthinking machine after being programmed with the path the navigator found

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Bill Burr is the best Star Wars character

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ldrinkh20/status/1337451304369721344

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
freaks and geeks was a good show and it’s so good it was only one series

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i ran out of melville films so I'm watching the five venoms again and not falling asleep this time

Shaw brothers rules

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

echinopsis posted:

freaks and geeks was a good show and it’s so good it was only one series

if you see a show on the screen, cancel it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it’s more xenophobia than racism since Mandalorian is a culture not a race. it’s like being anti Islam

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Achmed Jones posted:

Shaw brothers rules

they're pretty great

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

first episode of the new adaptation of the stand dropped yesterday and its doing that thing where they keep cutting back and forwards in time, i'm not sure i like that part of it but i also had to keep referring to the cast list of the previous adaptation so i could remember which character was which so i might be biased
will have to see how it feels in the next episode

Achmed Jones posted:

i ran out of melville films so I'm watching the five venoms again and not falling asleep this time

Shaw brothers rules

ive been slowly watching their films on amazon prime and i just watched five elemental ninjas, they make fun movies

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

duz posted:

first episode of the new adaptation of the stand dropped yesterday and its doing that thing where they keep cutting back and forwards in time

I generally hate this as a narrative device, it’s almost never worth it and even in the rare cases where it is I’m still frustrated by it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's obnoxious and 100% it's the writers jerking off over how clever they are

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1339717375512502277?s=21

grogurt

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

duz posted:

first episode of the new adaptation of the stand dropped yesterday and its doing that thing where they keep cutting back and forwards in time,
lost hosed things up so badly in so many ways we still haven’t recovered

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

duz posted:

first episode of the new adaptation of the stand dropped yesterday and its doing that thing where they keep cutting back and forwards in time, i'm not sure i like that part of it but i also had to keep referring to the cast list of the previous adaptation so i could remember which character was which so i might be biased
will have to see how it feels in the next episode

ive been slowly watching their films on amazon prime and i just watched five elemental ninjas, they make fun movies

five element ninjas is so good

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

indigi posted:

I generally hate this as a narrative device, it’s almost never worth it and even in the rare cases where it is I’m still frustrated by it

I'm raging just remembering that I wasted hours of my life on the first 2 seasons of Lost before figuring out there would never be a good payoff

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

it's obnoxious and 100% it's the writers jerking off over how clever they are
not always!

sometimes its the writers trying to cover up that the plot is simplistic or dumb (that birds of prey/harley quinn movie was guilty of this)

FMguru fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 18, 2020

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the time skips really reduced my enjoyment of the witcher as well, i get what they were trying to do but it was just really unnecessarily confusing. find a different storytelling device

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think the only place i've seen it that wasn't horribly obnoxious was use of weapons, and only because there was a very clear structure to it that you could follow after the first two chapters

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

gently caress jj and his mystery box legacy though. keeping the audience guessing isn't actually good storytelling in and of itself

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Tarantino movies are the only place where crazy nonlinear storytelling ever has a decent payoff. Obligatory foot fetish reference.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
memento was real good, shame he spent most of the rest of his non-batman career inventing increasingly insane narrative structures until he finally made one that collapsed under its own weight

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's horseshit that memento lost best editing to black hawk down

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

shoeberto posted:

Tarantino movies are the only place where crazy nonlinear storytelling ever has a decent payoff. Obligatory foot fetish reference.

i think david lynch does pretty well at nonstandard storytelling imho

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

fart simpson posted:

i think david lynch does pretty well at nonstandard storytelling imho

I was actually thinking about him earlier, but has he really done like nonlinear stuff? Mulholland Drive was really unique but it didn't jump around much. He has a few movies I haven't seen though.

loving love David Lynch so much.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqQZRSploe0

I'm a big Adkins fan usually, this one might test my resolve a little :o:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

shoeberto posted:

I was actually thinking about him earlier, but has he really done like nonlinear stuff? Mulholland Drive was really unique but it didn't jump around much. He has a few movies I haven't seen though.

loving love David Lynch so much.

lost highway is arguably nonlinear

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
s1 and s3 of True Detective do it really well. probably because there's a cohesive story they know has 10 episodes to be told.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

s1 and s3 of True Detective do it really well. probably because there's a cohesive story they know has 10 episodes to be told.

in true detective it's a framing device to tell it in flashback not a whole thing where they intentionally confuse the audience leading up to some big reveal about it

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the new pratchett city watch adaptation is garbage, unsurprisingly

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2020/12/18/22187906/the-watch-review-terry-pratchett-discworld

I think a looser adaptation was probably a good idea, but bbc america probably aren’t the people to do it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
season 2 finale of the mandalorian just came out and...well, that was certainly a cameo. huh.

after credits sequence was good too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

qirex posted:

in true detective it's a framing device to tell it in flashback not a whole thing where they intentionally confuse the audience leading up to some big reveal about it

ya TD uses two linear storylines, one in the present and one in the past, and it's never a question which is which

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Bhodi posted:

the time skips really reduced my enjoyment of the witcher as well, i get what they were trying to do but it was just really unnecessarily confusing. find a different storytelling device
it was somewhat ok given “””ageless””” characters but yeah what it amounts to is a series of disclaimers about a fuckin’ netflix show you have to give to people if you’re passing on a recc

hoping s2 drops the device entirely as either way it’s served its purpose. maybe one or two eps where it’s contained to just the ep, i can live with

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the witcher gets a pass cause its so much fun and isnt completely up its own rear end like ww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
hmmm. gently caress.