Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

mlnhd posted:

This doesn’t happen

I chime in with haven't you people ever heard of...

taking a left in 400 feet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
drat everyone on the last 2 pages needs to source their quotes

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PipHelix posted:

Yea, last-mile type stuff where the directions are like, 4 turns per mile in an unfamiliar neighborhood, modern GPS is a godsend. I just don't understand people who need it on uninterrupted for long roadtrips where hours are spent driving the same direction on the same road, nor why it feels the need to chime in like ten times in each hour to explain to you how to go straight.

Having made that detour once, can recommend.

I used to do a 3.5 hour drive once a month or so between cities where the best route was get on interstate and go straight until destination. I always used Maps because it would pick up major slow downs and route around it.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

GPS is useful but it comes at the cost of some large corporation knowing where I am and where I go at all times

That’s my hot take

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ziv Zulander posted:

GPS is useful but it comes at the cost of some large corporation knowing where I am and where I go at all times

That’s my hot take

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zH9Zca1vRM

At this point there's nothing you can do that isn't being monitored by big business or the government or both (mostly the former) unless you move into a Unabomber style shack in the middle of dense forest.

If Google and the NSA want to see my peen that badly they can have at it.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone ever thought about poisoning their boomer parents? As a joke haha

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

redreader posted:

I don't get the talk about not having the reflexes any more at age 40. I'm about that age and I was never great at RTSs or FPSs but I could always play them, and I still can. If you're saying "I used to be able to enter competitions and I can't any more" then, sure, fine, I wouldn't know. But I haven't noticed any deterioration in skills at all, with my casual level of play. I started playing fortnite a couple of months ago and black ops last month and do pretty well in fortnite: I very rarely win fortnite but am normally in the last 5 and my black ops KDR went from about .5 to .8 over three 2-hour multiplayer sessions. Note, as I said I've never been great at these games but it's not like I've noticed any deterioration at all in my skills.

edit: I play fortnite with 2 friends and we're definitely not up against bots.

Yeah I'm getting old and am also usually high as gently caress when I play games and I'm always near the top when I play a multiplayer fps. When I'm not high it's like I entered a cheat code. Having tip top reaction speed probably only matters if you're entering competitions like you said. Knowledge of the game and things like knowing how to set your sensitivity/controls so you're as accurate as you can be probably matter more in casual play.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Nirvikalpa posted:

they thought i was poisoning them when i put some spices in their food. does that count?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

mlnhd posted:

This doesn’t happen

It happens a whole lot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Yeah I'm getting old and am also usually high as gently caress when I play games and I'm always near the top when I play a multiplayer fps. When I'm not high it's like I entered a cheat code. Having tip top reaction speed probably only matters if you're entering competitions like you said. Knowledge of the game and things like knowing how to set your sensitivity/controls so you're as accurate as you can be probably matter more in casual play.

I've found being high helps in fps because it makes me paranoid as gently caress, which helps in most of those games.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hihohe posted:

they thought i was poisoning them when i put some spices in their food. does that count?

Mine has tried to poison me by making a lasagna, turning the oven off, leaving the lasagna in it for the next 12 hours, then microwaving a serving of it and serving it to me

It was like the food handling training in retail all over again, learning about why we don’t leave food sitting out in the danger zone of temperature, between 40-120 deg F.

Does that count? It was pretty bad and sour by then, I got one bite in and immediately was repulsed.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Nirvikalpa posted:

no, I love my parents

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My parents are definitely boomers and would do stuff like leave cooked bolognese on the stove overnight without putting it in the fridge. It goes against all food safety regulations and I would never do it myself now but I didn't know any better back then and I didn't even die or get sick once.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Nirvikalpa posted:

No but I heard my mom drunkedly joke she understood why some mothers snap and kill their children haha. Haha.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

redreader posted:

It happens a whole lot.

It doesn't happen.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

No but I heard my mom drunkedly joke she understood why some mothers snap and kill their children haha. Haha.

Kill her before she kills you

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Nirvikalpa posted:

Yes, and they got paid billions doing it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
On gaming, I used to play TF (not TF2, the original team fps back in the last millenia) and some of the older battlefields. So I get all the core concepts.

But I tried playing the last of us and a battlefield on a playstation recently. How the gently caress are you supposed to look around with a loving joystick?! If I could plug in a mouse and keyboard I'd be okay but I was just careening around like a drunk.

Anyway, I'm the boomer now.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Protip, I'mma let yall in on the secret to The Trades, is watch Slingblade, and then always be asking yourself, What Would Karl Do? Because ALWAYS, it's always the simplest fuckin' poo poo, that nobody checks because they think someone else already checked it.

No, in fact, no, IT AIN'T GOT NO GAS IN IT.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

It doesn't happen.

You've never been on a stretch of highway with two designations and had Google Maps tell you "in 1000 feet, stay left" as you approach the point where they split apart? Because it does that a hell of a lot, even when the route you want to stay with is indistinguishable from continuing straight.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Just occurred to me some programmer at Google could do one hell of an April fools prank with a few keystrokes.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Penguissimo posted:

You've never been on a stretch of highway with two designations and had Google Maps tell you "in 1000 feet, stay left" as you approach the point where they split apart? Because it does that a hell of a lot, even when the route you want to stay with is indistinguishable from continuing straight.

Yeah I've had that happen, but not "ten times in one hour" so uh, why would you care.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Yeah I've had that happen, but not "ten times in one hour" so uh, why would you care.

my understanding of the world is that places can be laid out differently and some of those differences might be reflected in Googles maps of those places and so it is possible that people in different places could encounter quirks that emerge from these differences at different rates!

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Ziv Zulander posted:

That’s my hot take

For gps to work you just need the latest map loaded on it, you won't get circulation and all that jazz but it will still give you directions.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Panfilo posted:

:same:. As I get older I veer towards 'dad games' that are slower paced or even turn based. I just don't have the reflexes for twitch shooters or the time commitment for MMOs for example.

Iron Crowned posted:

I think my two favorite games of the last 5 years have been XCOM 2 and The Flame in the Flood.

XCOM is great for being turn based, but having a lot of action, while Flame is mostly chill as long as there aren't any wolves about.

Iron Crowned posted:

I think my two favorite games of the last 5 years have been XCOM 2 and The Flame in the Flood.

XCOM is great for being turn based, but having a lot of action, while Flame is mostly chill as long as there aren't any wolves about.

honestly even in my mid-20s i cant play rts games much anymore because they're so stressful for me

battlestar galactica: deadlock has been an absolute treat for me, filling in the spaceship strategy game craving without being the heart pounding stress-fest of homeworld. it is literally xcom+homeworld and it is legitimately one of my new favorite games of all time

Kanine fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 18, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You might not be getting worse at games, you just realised you always sucked.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can still hold my own in multiplayer halo online now that they came to pc, so i still at least seem to be good at games i played when i was younger

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hihohe posted:

Mine have been complaining for 8 years now, because I use garlic and onions when I cook

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Is "I don't own a smart phone" the new "I don't even own a TV"?

I kid, I kid

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bonzo posted:

I kid, I kid

Cretins are still cloning and feeding, so...

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
bamy boober

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Bonzo posted:

I kid, I kid

Yeah.

Because I own a smartphone I don't need a TV :smug:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I have a smartphone but I hacked it so I could delete all the preinstalled apps including the web browser. I kept the GPS though. So it's, like, not a smartphone but it technically is. Plus GPS.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Outrail posted:

Yeah.

Because I own a smartphone I don't need a TV :smug:

Apropos of nothing, I love your avatar and how the boobs robot is like "hey wanna bang" and the lady is all "lol ok"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like to watch movies on my TV, but I wouldn't miss it otherwise. Hell for a year or two before I had a roommate, I think the only times I regularly actually watched live TV was to check the weather and traffic reports before work

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Apropos of nothing, I love your avatar and how the boobs robot is like "hey wanna bang" and the lady is all "lol ok"

I got it anonymously over 10 years ago from Strabo's Your Ship Sucks cyoa. Back when GBS was rife with silly cyoas. Every now and then I see it and think woah, is that appropriate in 2020? I guess so?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

If anything it's even more appropriate in 2020!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

If anything it's even more appropriate in 2020!

I guess so? This century is gonna be gonna be wild.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Not having a smartphone in the tyool 2020 (not withstanding crippling visual problems or poverty) is like making GBS threads in a bucket because the toilet is evil.

Actually had a boomer lady ask me for directions the other day.

"Hey, do you live here?"
"No."
"Do you know how to get to this road and this road?"
"I have no idea. I don't live here."
"Oh, okay, sorry!"

When I was part of a training program, we had a uniform that looked vaguely similar to my states Parks service. And we worked in those same parks occasionally so people would be stopping by to ask me all the goddamn time how to get somewhere in the parks. After the first two dozen times of telling the old that no, just because my uniform is similar does not mean I work there, I realized that it was far,far easier to give people bad directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I was at a Walmart and some older lady asked me if I could unlock the spray paint cabinet. I was wearing a black t-shirt and jeans. She didn't... seem senile, but I guess you can never know.