Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Iron Crowned posted:

From my sample size of one Blu-Ray ordered from Japan, the problem with a Japanese edition of an English language movie, is that there's likely to be Japanese subtitles that you will not be able to turn off.

You get used to it, but it's really bizarre, especially since they're not burned in, so you can adjust the size, color, and position, but nope they're going to be there the entire loving time.

Another issue with Japanese releases is they don’t tend to have English subtitles, whereas Korean and HK releases usually do. Not often as issue, but can stump you if there’s a section of a movie where you need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

MacheteZombie posted:

An all region player is seriously worth it if you buy movies often enough. It really opens up the releases you can get, if you don't mind the shipping fees.

Well part of it is that I'm just trying not to open that Pandora's Box because I have enough poo poo already.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Does this new IMAX Enhanced format mean Disney will finally put out the full IMAX versions of IW and Endgame or is that still a pipe dream? It blows my mind they went to the lengths to shoot on those cameras and render the extra CGI in that format but not to put it on Bluray. Especially weird given plenty of other MCU movies have their IMAX sequences on the blurays and 3D blurays. Plenty of other non-IMAX Enhanced blurays have their IMAX shot sequences intact as well like Into Darkness, MI: Fallout, etc.

I know the Russos briefly hinted at it being IMAX holding that back a few years ago but Ive never really understood what behind the scenes could prevent this from happening.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's almost as if government agencies aren't very good at handling complex operations. Shocker.

It's more like they've been set up by one side to horribly fail so that people can have ill informed opinions like you can show up in this thread and say something that lacks critical thinking.

Tenet is both very stupid and very good and fun, the sound is WTF Nolan, and it's gorgeous and my first 4K that I've played on my new 55 TCL TV using my PS5. A great experience.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

LionArcher posted:

Tenet is both very stupid and very good and fun, the sound is WTF Nolan, and it's gorgeous and my first 4K that I've played on my new 55 TCL TV using my PS5. A great experience.

Ignoring the first part of your post because that conversation is dead, which TCL did you get? I'm leaning towards a TCL as my first 4K as well and I'm curious to hear opinions.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Spatulater bro! posted:

Ignoring the first part of your post because that conversation is dead, which TCL did you get? I'm leaning towards a TCL as my first 4K as well and I'm curious to hear opinions.

I believe everyone recommends the 6 series, but I actually went one step down and went with the 2020 series 5 55 inch because it was so much cheaper and still basically at the same tech level as the previous years series 6. I think $350-450? It's fantastic, minus the first unit from amazon that came broken (two lines of broken pixels). I had a replacement in 4 days and kept the old one till it arrived. New one has been here since October and great.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

LionArcher posted:

It's more like they've been set up by one side to horribly fail so that people can have ill informed opinions like you can show up in this thread and say something that lacks critical thinking.
I know it's fun to dogpile but it's not as simple as you're making it out to be. Yes, the last 3 presidents have contributed to kneecapping them, but over the summer late mail was only up 3% compared to last summer. The massive increase in election mail didn't even slow them down. What we're seeing is way more online holiday shopping this year, combined with a sharp increase in covid cases in an organization that is basically a skeleton crew in many parts of the country.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Lord of the Rings Trilogy code to the first person that wants it. I'd post the image in the thread but I'm worried the bots'll get it. I bought the steelbook but I already had the movies in iTunes so now I've got a dupe code.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Delzuma posted:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy code to the first person that wants it. I'd post the image in the thread but I'm worried the bots'll get it. I bought the steelbook but I already had the movies in iTunes so now I've got a dupe code.

I'll take it!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Arrow Video March releases

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

my VinSyn order showed up. Fade to Black and Nightmare Sisters. good weekend coming up.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Spatulater bro! posted:

Arrow Video March releases

Arrow really killing it with the Japanese films. Hope they can manage to work something out with Toho and get some of the lesser monster films a proper release.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

dorium posted:

I'll take it!

PM Sent

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of Arrow, they put out an announcement this morning with regards to their copy of Versus. Apparently looks a lot different to the previous versions, and it's on purpose and was the directors intention.

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/photos/a.157131957654140/3915618765138755/?type=3&theater

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

EL BROMANCE posted:

Speaking of Arrow, they put out an announcement this morning with regards to their copy of Versus. Apparently looks a lot different to the previous versions, and it's on purpose and was the directors intention.

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/photos/a.157131957654140/3915618765138755/?type=3&theater

Huh. I was convinced that Versus was shot on video, I'm excited to see what it looks like with the grading eased up.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
steelbook with slipcase has to be the worst pandering to "those people" ive seen

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I, Butthole posted:

steelbook with slipcase has to be the worst pandering to "those people" ive seen
I don’t like slipcases but the Steelbook/slipcase combo for Ghost in the Shell 4K is pretty slick. It’s made of a hard plastic instead of regular slipcase cardboard or whatever, and parts of it are transparent so the steelbook’s artwork lines up with slipcase art creating a new image. It’s a pretty cool effect.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I don’t like slipcases but the Steelbook/slipcase combo for Ghost in the Shell 4K is pretty slick. It’s made of a hard plastic instead of regular slipcase cardboard or whatever, and parts of it are transparent so the steelbook’s artwork lines up with slipcase art creating a new image. It’s a pretty cool effect.

The Total Recall slipcover is exactly like this and it's cool as hell. They also did a steelbook for Kick rear end recently with the same style. I really like it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I, Butthole posted:

Are "those people" not the primary target audience for boutique labels like Arrow? Limited editions, fancy packaging, etc. I'd argue they're catering to their niche.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

The Total Recall slipcover is exactly like this and it's cool as hell. They also did a steelbook for Kick rear end recently with the same style. I really like it.
I actually passed on the Total Recall 4K steelbook because I’ve got this older steelbook that I still really like and didn’t want to replace it. I just bought the regular 4K release and swapped out the discs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

My favorite gimmick package was the Total Recall DVD that came in a little tin that looks like Mars.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

My favorite gimmick package was the Total Recall DVD that came in a little tin that looks like Mars.

I used to work at a used music/game/video store and I hated those packages. Impossible to label, rolls off the shelf, nobody wanted because it was so weird. Working there made me hate basically all irregular cases.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

I used to work at a used music/game/video store and I hated those packages. Impossible to label, rolls off the shelf, nobody wanted because it was so weird. Working there made me hate basically all irregular cases.

It originally came in a little case sized package which I kept and sold with it. I'm guessing most people threw that poo poo away and immediately regretted it when they realized they couldn't put it with the rest of their poo poo.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

The Best Buy 4k Halloween and Evil Dead steelbooks that came out this year were the same way. Cool way to add layered artwork and keep the paint on the steelbook itself from getting scratched off.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

What kind of rear end in a top hat passes on a cheap copy of Total Recall?

Vince MechMahon posted:

It originally came in a little case sized package which I kept and sold with it. I'm guessing most people threw that poo poo away and immediately regretted it when they realized they couldn't put it with the rest of their poo poo.

Yeah that's what I did.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vince MechMahon posted:

I’m not a fan of weird irregular packaging, I want stuff to fit on my shelves. the closest thing I guess I’ve got is the hellraiser Scarlet Box, it’s a literal box but it’s the height and depth of regular Blu-ray cases so it still fits on the shelf just fine, it’s just about as wide as 8 regular Blu-rays and has a bunch of stuff inside aside from the movies.

One gimmicky style of packaging I wish we saw more of are “neo cases” - they’re smooth and slim but fold out to hold up to like 4 discs, and are held closed with thin magnets. I have one for ‘Gravity’ and I have a copy of ‘Interstellar’ coming in the mail, but they only got released for a relative handful of titles. I think they look really sharp.

Here’s a blu-ray.com forum thread about them:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=247032

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Reject modernity, embrace tradition

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Christ, snap-cases. :ughh:

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

by the way if someone wants to check it out, it goes for a tenner at BestBuy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ghost-...p?skuId=6422207

I have the other edition, and it's fantastic

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This seems like a good place to put this out there. If anyone sees the Star Trek complete Original Series blu-ray set for a low price let me know.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

Reject modernity, embrace tradition

Lol I still have this somewhere

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I only ha e a few snap cases. The Witches the example that comes to mind.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I have a couple snap cases that I'd love to replace but the blurays either aren't a significant upgrade over the DVD or the bluray is a little more than I'd like to spend.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For ultimate chaos, buy the Blu-rays and put them in the snapcases.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

+5 chaos, stack the UHD, Blu-Ray and DVD in the case spindle.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

+15 chaos, crumble up the UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD discs into dust and keep them in ziploc bags on the shelf.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I like snap cases.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FrumpleOrz posted:

I like snap cases.

Your kind will be the first ones up against the wall when the revolution comes. <:mad:>

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Xenomrph posted:

+15 chaos, crumble up the UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD discs into dust and keep them in ziploc bags on the shelf.

+20 chaos, multiple discs in opaque bags so you have no idea what disc you've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Xenomrph posted:

Your kind will be the first ones up against the wall when the revolution comes. <:mad:>

I think they look snazzy when they're in good shape! I wish it wasn't so easy to beat them up but I've always preferred a nice cardboard box to plastic.