Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mjan
Jan 30, 2007
A gift arrived!

I received a fantastic set of matching coasters in the mail today, which immediately became the nicest coasters in my house:

Action shot showing an admirable level of coastering in the defense of my sideboard:

Finally, a bonus shot of Lamia attempting to eat the box in which they were delivered, because she is not bright:

Thank you, oXDemosthenesXo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Shame Boy posted:

My wife was the one who picked it up from the mail and was like "Uhh... I assume this is for you right... it's got The Hacker Forum Word on it"

Thanks! It arrived a day or so ago but I wanted to get some good pictures of it before postin'.

I got:

1. This charming sparkly fabric oscilloscope

Glad you enjoyed! I certainly had fun putting it all together. It sort of started with the white and gold knoblike button and went from there.

The sine wave is made with retroreflective thread, so if the light hits it from the right angle, it lights up (phone flashlight works very well for this).

The radio bits all came out of a decaying cabinet radio that I hauled off the curb and scavenged for parts. I did some research and I think it was originally from 1927? Anyway, I have the rest of the guts in my basement if you're interested and want to pay $$$ for shipping since it's stupidly heavy.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

mjan posted:

A gift arrived!

I received a fantastic set of matching coasters in the mail today, which immediately became the nicest coasters in my house:

Finally, a bonus shot of Lamia attempting to eat the box in which they were delivered, because she is not bright:

Thank you, oXDemosthenesXo!

Brother: hey I got these thin endgrain offcuts

Me: huh?

Brother: contractors effed up

Me: Lol sure I'll take them. wonder what to do with them

DIY Discord: Coasters! Laser some poo poo on top!

Me: Hey I have all that stuff!

Prepping

LASER BEAMS

All etched, a couple of practice pieces on the left

After finishing and corking the bottoms

Glad you like them. I had no idea what I was going to make you until these precut pieces and bunch of good ideas from y'all showed up.

I reused the box that TooMuchAbstraction sent my gift, so Lamia has good taste.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
is that suppose to be an end grain butcherblock floor?....is that a thing?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

JEEVES420 posted:

i like it. wonder if scratches will “heal” themselves over time.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

JEEVES420 posted:

It's a thing. Apparently it was used a lot in industrial buildings because they're easy on the feet.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

there wolf posted:

It's a thing. Apparently it was used a lot in industrial buildings because they're easy on the feet.

that's awesome.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

there wolf posted:

Used to be used for street paving too, but I think the right way to do it is with 3" long chunks that are laid in grout/mortar, not glue tiny slices to plywood and to make your own 'engineered' flooring and hope they don't move around too much.

Makes some neat coasters though!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Used to be used for street paving too, but I think the right way to do it is with 3" long chunks that are laid in grout/mortar, not glue tiny slices to plywood and to make your own 'engineered' flooring and hope they don't move around too much.

Makes some neat coasters though!

you're probably right but most residential flooring is never going to be subjected to the kind of use that a street or factory floor would

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it was supposed to be flooring at some project my brother was managing. Obviously they didn't do it quite right.

There's a museum in town that has one huge room that's about 100ft x 100ft of true dimension 2x4 end grain flooring and it's totally awesome.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It's on my list of things I will do if I ever build a house instead of buying one. I'm already set on <1000sqft so expensive, longlasting features like that are going everywhere.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

This thread is fun because whenever a santee posts we get a behind the scenes making-of post from the santa :kimchi:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Two steps forward, one step back on my santee's main gift. Recoverable, but each unforced error means I have to make it a tiny bit smaller, since I've got no do-overs on the material.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Two steps forward, one step back on my santee's main gift. Recoverable, but each unforced error means I have to make it a tiny bit smaller, since I've got no do-overs on the material.

It'll sure save you on shipping though!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It'll sure save you on shipping though!

End up posting it in a kinder egg pod.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The first part of my Concealed Cernnunos has arrived!

My army grows stronger. Legit, excited about the protractor on the long one. Usually you only get 45oand 60o and I want more variety in my triangles!

Thank you, Jaded and I'm looking forward to the other half in the new year, kinder egg or not.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:woop:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Whatever could this be?!

I wonder why it suddenly got colder the day this arrived....it must have brought some chill with it.

Did it ever bring some chill! It's the BYOB hammock kitty, incredibly beautifully rendered in embroidery!

Thank you Bingo Bango. How Wonderful! of a gift!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i got a package today too! i assume it’s from this thread, because i can’t imagine it coming from elsewhere.

model planes and a paint set! thanks mysterious australian friend (i assume you don’t want your real name broadcast lol)!!
these are cool and i’ve never done anything like this so if anyone has tips, i’m open. should be a good january activity.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Whatever could this be?!

I wonder why it suddenly got colder the day this arrived....it must have brought some chill with it.

Did it ever bring some chill! It's the BYOB hammock kitty, incredibly beautifully rendered in embroidery!

Oh, that's lovely!

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Whatever could this be?!

I'm so happy USPS didn't mangle it! I hope it fills your days (and nights) with chill vibes.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I came across that hammock kitty somewhere else recently... I think it might be one of the gifs in Microsoft Teams chat?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

mediaphage posted:

i got a package today too! i assume it’s from this thread, because i can’t imagine it coming from elsewhere.

model planes and a paint set! thanks mysterious australian friend (i assume you don’t want your real name broadcast lol)!!
these are cool and i’ve never done anything like this so if anyone has tips, i’m open. should be a good january activity.

No worries mate!

We have a Scale modeling thread here, and Scalemates is the encyclopedia.

Also here's some painting inspiration for the Albatros (and why I picked it)

The only parts that aren't original are the repairs to the undercarriage made by the Royal Flying Corps in 1918 (it made a rough landing rather than crashed, the pilot survived). The collection at AWM is truly astonishing.

There's another package coming... at some point.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 15, 2020

shrimpwhiskers
Jan 9, 2019

tasty
I have recieved the best kind of mail, squishy mail! (Once removed from the box that is.)

Beauty shot of the yarn hand dyed by my Santa!

Bonus box shots:

Thank you so much Hungry Medusa! The roving is SO soft and I love the colorway of the merino you dyed :3 It’ll be perfect for an amigurumi I have planned! The spindles are so beautiful too! I can’t wait to learn how to use them. Thank you again!!!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I got a package! And it's so absolutely lovely, thank you peanut!!!

Apart from now beeing some kind of millionaire apparently, I got an absolutely awesome christmas tree ornament, and a new years door decoration. I googled a bit, is it a Shimekazari (welcomes gods of good fortune, drives out all the bad stuff)?

But there also is a huge stack of origami paper (the picture doesn't show how beautiful glittery-gold they are). I'll try myself on my first crane next week at christmas and will post the results here (if my fingers aren't tied into a knot).

Also a lovely handwritten card!

Thank you, peanut! Well setup our christmas tree this sunday, and the ornament will get a special spot!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hey everyone! Just to prevent future confusion if you send out a thank you card or gift to your santa that's fine but please make it clear that it's a thank you and not the main gift! Both me and tuo's santa just had a bit of a panic making sure wires weren't crossed.

:ohdearsass:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Huh? Did I do something wrong? I'm confused...

(did I doxx my santee? I can't read kanji....)

e: I'm currently working through some crane folding instructions and I fear my fingers fall off...

tuo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 18, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

tuo posted:

Huh? Did I do something wrong? I'm confused...

(did I doxx my santee? I can't read kanji....)

e: I'm currently working through some crane folding instructions and I fear my fingers fall off...

You’re fine! I just got a message from your Santa whose gift hasn’t arrived yet wondering if you got assigned two Santas somehow!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Oh my god, now I kinda feel like an idiot :/

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

corgski posted:

You’re fine! I just got a message from your Santa whose gift hasn’t arrived yet wondering if you got assigned two Santas somehow!

peanut is absolutely unstoppable, if she gets her hands on your address you're getting STUFF FROM JAPAN, what a menace! :peanut: :peanut: :peanut:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Truly shameful abdication of duty to not have posted this yet. This phenomenal gift from Mjan inspired me to put a lot more effort into my gift (which may now arrive after Christmas, sorry).

Anyhow, take a look at this hand forged Drawknife that Mjan made! It is currently living on the tool rack above my bench, and I'm looking forward to my next chair project so I can put it to use!

Thank you so much Mjan!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GEMorris posted:

Anyhow, take a look at this hand forged Drawknife that Mjan made! It is currently living on the tool rack above my bench, and I'm looking forward to my next chair project so I can put it to use!

Thank you so much Mjan!

:eyepop:
That is amazing

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Holy cow, that's a gorgeous tool.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

tuo posted:

I got a package! And it's so absolutely lovely, thank you peanut!!!

Yes, this is a thank you gift!!! Sorry for the confusion. Please send Tuo hella gifts.

My Santee will also be getting a similar 2nd package because the DIY stuff wasn't ready for the 1st.

mjan
Jan 30, 2007

Glad it arrived safe and sound, I had a ton of fun putting it together! Abbreviated build log follows:

1. Starting out with ~14" of 1084:

2. Forging the first arm. Should I ever do this again, I'd build a jig instead of freehanding it:

3. Both arms forged out, some rough profiling, and makers mark:

4. Adding the clay (technically, furnace cement) to the areas that I don't want hardened. For folks unfamiliar with this, you harden this particular type of tool steel by heating it up to what's known as the "critical temperature" (~1350F) and then rapidly cooling it. If it cools quickly enough, it solidifies in a hard, brittle form known as martensite. The clay provides a layer of insulation that prevents this rapid cooling, causing it to instead transform into softer, more malleable forms like pearlite:

5. Post-quench. For this, I used canola oil heated to ~100F. Notice that the clay applied above has bubbled up, this is both good and bad. Good because the additional volume and voids provide great insulation, bad because it's extremely fragile and if I accidentally bump it against anything it immediately disintegrates. Luckily, I didn't have anything break off until the actual quench. Personally, I find that this is the hardest part of making a knife:

6. Post-quench, post-temper cleanup. The initial hardened steel is very brittle, so it needs to be softened up a bit so that it doesn't crack under usage. For this knife, I did so by baking it at 410F for about three hours. What you see on the blade now might look like a "hamon" (the demarcation line between the harder martensite and softer steel), but is actually just a difference in oxidation. Which is a little bit of a shame, because it's super dramatic:

7. Initial polishing. You can see a shadow of the actual hamon here:

8. Handle attachment and etch. In order to both provide a little corrosion protection as well as highlight the hamon, the blade was etched with dilute ferric chloride. This oxidizes the surface of the steel and affects the hardened and soft areas in different ways, bringing out the contrast:

Super excited to see what you make with it, GEMorris!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I have no idea what you'd use that for in woodworking so I'm just gonna imagine it's a tool for a hitman who's tired of a boring old garrote and wants to do something more exciting with necks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

I have no idea what you'd use that for in woodworking so I'm just gonna imagine it's a tool for a hitman who's tired of a boring old garrote and wants to do something more exciting with necks.

Basically they're good at quickly peeling slices out of a piece of wood. They're good debarking tools. You can also use them for freehand chamfering stock or putting a taper on it, though you'd probably want to use a more precise tool to get to exact dimensions.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Shame Boy posted:

Working spindles for chairmaking mostly, but they have other uses as well. You hold the piece in a clamp (preferably a shavehorse) and "draw" the knife toward you, shaping the spindles and tennons.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

mjan posted:

Glad it arrived safe and sound, I had a ton of fun putting it together! Abbreviated build log follows:

1. Starting out with ~14" of 1084:

2. Forging the first arm. Should I ever do this again, I'd build a jig instead of freehanding it:

3. Both arms forged out, some rough profiling, and makers mark:

4. Adding the clay (technically, furnace cement) to the areas that I don't want hardened. For folks unfamiliar with this, you harden this particular type of tool steel by heating it up to what's known as the "critical temperature" (~1350F) and then rapidly cooling it. If it cools quickly enough, it solidifies in a hard, brittle form known as martensite. The clay provides a layer of insulation that prevents this rapid cooling, causing it to instead transform into softer, more malleable forms like pearlite:

5. Post-quench. For this, I used canola oil heated to ~100F. Notice that the clay applied above has bubbled up, this is both good and bad. Good because the additional volume and voids provide great insulation, bad because it's extremely fragile and if I accidentally bump it against anything it immediately disintegrates. Luckily, I didn't have anything break off until the actual quench. Personally, I find that this is the hardest part of making a knife:

6. Post-quench, post-temper cleanup. The initial hardened steel is very brittle, so it needs to be softened up a bit so that it doesn't crack under usage. For this knife, I did so by baking it at 410F for about three hours. What you see on the blade now might look like a "hamon" (the demarcation line between the harder martensite and softer steel), but is actually just a difference in oxidation. Which is a little bit of a shame, because it's super dramatic:

7. Initial polishing. You can see a shadow of the actual hamon here:

8. Handle attachment and etch. In order to both provide a little corrosion protection as well as highlight the hamon, the blade was etched with dilute ferric chloride. This oxidizes the surface of the steel and affects the hardened and soft areas in different ways, bringing out the contrast:

Super excited to see what you make with it, GEMorris!

This is super awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
This awesome helping hands with integrated magnifier and telescoping magnet wand arrived last week!

Both super practical, useful tools. I've already used the magnet wand twice because I've been soldering boards with through-hole parts, and when I trim the excess bits off of their pins they sometimes like to go flying across the room.

Thanks, shrimpwhiskers!