Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Electric Phantasm posted:

Have they even confirmed that mounting is back in?

If they kept it in World and Iceborne with the Clutch Claw, why wouldn't they here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The thing I've always disliked about IG is that they start you off with a slow, stubby buzzer instead of a zippy bugfriend. IG is only fun once you can tell your bug to get extracts and it actually does it.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I think they've been vague in regards to mounting in rise when asked about it. And in all the gameplay footage they've shown they haven't mounted once despite doing several aerial attacks. So I'd think that they revamped mounting somehow. I don't think it's gone though as it's not an unpopular addition (like underwater combat was rip gobul)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Triarii posted:

They nerfed its aerial attacks' mounting values, but their damage has always been crap, even in 4U. Top-level play with IG has always involved ignoring the aerial aspects of the weapon.

Obviously no one is obligated to care about what top-level play involves, but it sucks that with IG you have to choose between "fun and flashy" and "optimal" when the games are pretty good about letting you have both with most weapons. (Also definitely not calling myself any kind of top-level player, but I like to imagine that I'm getting better over time, and I hate the feeling of "getting better with this weapon is going to involve it becoming less fun".)

I actually think IG vaulting is already in a good place. it's an incredible defensive move no other weapon gets and it has situational use as an attack on parts out of reach you want to break or during a time you otherwise wouldn't be able to safely attack. it's so imprecise that I think it would feel bad and get stale quickly if spamming it was the best DPS. it's a situational tool to dodge and optionally attack at the same time, which is how it should be, even if it isn't used by the top 0.0001% speedrunners because they don't care about specific part breaks for materials and avoid half of the monster's attacks by standing in the correct pixel where they don't have to dodge with any weapon anyway.

https://i.imgur.com/ue5ytLq.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/495dDcP.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/6jAlZ1R.mp4

alr
May 14, 2009

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I think they've been vague in regards to mounting in rise when asked about it. And in all the gameplay footage they've shown they haven't mounted once despite doing several aerial attacks. So I'd think that they revamped mounting somehow. I don't think it's gone though as it's not an unpopular addition (like underwater combat was rip gobul)

3U was my first MH game, and I was really surprised when 4th gen stripped out something as huge as underwater combat and replaced it with mounting. I miss it, and have never liked how mounting feels like a glorified QTE so I hope if it's in, it's at least reworked to be more rewarding with regards to actual hands-on gameplay.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Haha eat stickies, alatreon. I couldn't beat the normal version with silver rath gear so I'm working on safi armor, but took fatalis armor and hbg and felyne insurance and just restocked ammo on the 3 novas I died to. Woop woop

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I actually think IG vaulting is already in a good place. it's an incredible defensive move no other weapon gets and it has situational use as an attack on parts out of reach you want to break or during a time you otherwise wouldn't be able to safely attack. it's so imprecise that I think it would feel bad and get stale quickly if spamming it was the best DPS. it's a situational tool to dodge and optionally attack at the same time, which is how it should be, even if it isn't used by the top 0.0001% speedrunners because they don't care about specific part breaks for materials and avoid half of the monster's attacks by standing in the correct pixel where they don't have to dodge with any weapon anyway.

Yeah, I agree about the vaulting. It doesn't need to be the best damage option because it's such an incredible defensive option and lets you reach hard to reach parts really easily. And the IG's ground combos are fun and fluid (as long as you have red extract) so I don't really have any complaints about how the weapon feels.

My issues with it are that I think buff maintenance is unnecessary busywork and starting you off with super slow kinsects is a real drag.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Every now and then this game makes me feel mean.

https://i.imgur.com/3Btbqjj.mp4

e: but then it makes me feel cool.

https://i.imgur.com/FIfXWzA.mp4

e2: Guard up :swoon:

https://i.imgur.com/rOVfTP3.mp4

I love this game.

Shine fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 19, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

alr posted:

3U was my first MH game, and I was really surprised when 4th gen stripped out something as huge as underwater combat and replaced it with mounting.

I was glad that underwater combat was gone once 4th gen rolled around, but I've been playing GenU recently and I instinctually ran to the edge of the water in D. Island and surprised myself by how sad I was when I remembered it was gone.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

alr posted:

3U was my first MH game, and I was really surprised when 4th gen stripped out something as huge as underwater combat and replaced it with mounting. I miss it, and have never liked how mounting feels like a glorified QTE so I hope if it's in, it's at least reworked to be more rewarding with regards to actual hands-on gameplay.

3U was also my first and mounting is cool and good.

Underwater combat, however, can stay dead, and I will piss on its grave.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I've been tempted to hunt down a copy of 3U just to try out underwater combat.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Well, I have a consensus among the friends I play MHW. The Tigrexes loving suck and are just plain unfun to fight.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Electric Phantasm posted:

I've been tempted to hunt down a copy of 3U just to try out underwater combat.

Just watch someone play it on YT. It sucks hard and not even a fun novelty.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

Well, I have a consensus among the friends I play MHW. The Tigrexes loving suck and are just plain unfun to fight.

fight brute tigrex with lance and just counter all his roars

normal tigrex still sucks though

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I like the Tigrexes.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Centzon Totochtin posted:

fight brute tigrex with lance and just counter all his roars

Yeah, Lance is a hard counter (hoho!) to Brute Tigrex, and it's hilarious to join SOS sessions and just demolish him.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

you and your friends are wrong.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]
The Switch Axe preview just went live on the site, and the blurb at the top of the page says, "Phial effects activated by the sword persist in axe form," which is an interesting concept.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
CB also owns the Tigrexes. they're the only fights in iceworld where the CB feels as good as it does in vanilla.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kokoro Wish posted:

It's a common sentiment, that event recently had us fight a tigrex because it's the least-hunted monster overal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JackGeneric posted:

The Switch Axe preview just went live on the site, and the blurb at the top of the page says, "Phial effects activated by the sword persist in axe form," which is an interesting concept.

Well switch axe has my attention now

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Anyone else notice some weird stutter in these videos whenever a weapon connects with a monster? It's much better/worse depending on the video - the hammer and switch axe videos seem to be particularly bad when it comes to this. Incidentally, that's the same stutter I was asking about in this thread re: MHW on PC a few months ago. Is my brain broken?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Badly Jester posted:

Anyone else notice some weird stutter in these videos whenever a weapon connects with a monster? It's much better/worse depending on the video - the hammer and switch axe videos seem to be particularly bad when it comes to this. Incidentally, that's the same stutter I was asking about in this thread re: MHW on PC a few months ago. Is my brain broken?

It's not stuttering--it's really aggressive hit pause. The game is briefly freezing animations to add to the feeling of your weapon impacting the monster. Almost every action game does this to some degree, but I think you're noticing it because Monster Hunter lays it on thick so that every time you hit a monster it feels really weighty and powerful.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
You know, I had considered that it might have something to do with that, but the only Monster Hunter title I've put some real time into is MHGU on Switch, and the effect doesn't seem to be nearly as pronounced there. The only attack that comes to mind is the charge attack on the CB. Anyway, that's a :psyduck: design decision which I guess I'll just have to deal with because Rise looks awesome so far. Knowing that it's actually intentional may or may not help with this :v: Thanks for learning me a thing.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Watching the Great Sword video makes me wonder how easy / automated the positioning stuff is going to be. These clips all have weird changes of direction at the last second to land the hit and I'm interested in finding out if the "payment" of a wirebug charge means the game does it for you or if you have to remember to like "sometimes drag the stick right and sometimes drag it down-left" each time you do a fancy move.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Impermanent posted:

CB also owns the Tigrexes. they're the only fights in iceworld where the CB feels as good as it does in vanilla.

How come? I've always struggled with tigrex with cb, does guard pointing him stop him ?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

How come? I've always struggled with tigrex with cb, does guard pointing him stop him ?

yeah, guard pointing, esp with a charged shield, makes the fight a ton easier and you'll build up a good amount of KO damage on his head that way.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Switch Axe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp5SeAtWSkU

Great Sword
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ke51YCyQl4

I'm glad they took the weapon criticisms to heart cause the weapons they've been showing off looks so cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Except insect glaive :negative:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Boco_T posted:

Watching the Great Sword video makes me wonder how easy / automated the positioning stuff is going to be. These clips all have weird changes of direction at the last second to land the hit and I'm interested in finding out if the "payment" of a wirebug charge means the game does it for you or if you have to remember to like "sometimes drag the stick right and sometimes drag it down-left" each time you do a fancy move.

you're gonna have to do all of that yourself and youll rarely look as cool as these clips...but sometimes you do and it owns.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Were there criticisms of switch axe? By far my favorite in world

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it looks dope and may have new phial mechanics to boot. im probably gonna use it a bunch

Iverron
May 13, 2012

SA and Lance are on my “play until I love it” list for Rise after I max out the GOAT SnS.

Is the SA video confirmation of mounting or just a SA specific thing?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Iverron posted:

SA and Lance are on my “play until I love it” list for Rise after I max out the GOAT SnS.

Is the SA video confirmation of mounting or just a SA specific thing?

thats the zero sum discharge from World, its a SA specific thing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I also loved swaxe, and all I really remember is that at the very top end of optimizing it could end up being a bit one note where you focused exclusively on sword because axe was weak (in world) or powered up axe because they juiced the hell out of it (in iceborne), but that was really just kinda pushing the margins of the weapon and wouldn't impact how 99% of people play it. I guess maybe also non-power phials were a bit too weak?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

SA definitely had some problems in base World, some of which were addressed in IB. Power axe mode gave you a reason to use the axe, its great to use against monsters like tigrex that you can easily trip. They buffed ZSD to make it worth using, and I believe gave you a level in earplugs to help not get knocked off during roars. They included another fade slash.

Basically they made all of its moves worthwhile, instead of just spamming sword mode slashes. Sword mode still is the best dps most cases and has terrible mobility and the sidestep dodge in pretty bad. So you'll need some evasion skills.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
rip the DS can opener if mounting is gone

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The can opener is still in as a silkbind move, I believe.

I did get spoiled on the HH video by youtube and it looks like Gravios is back in by the horn design. Not sure what the greatsword is from but the swaxe makes me think neopteran. Maybe the spider?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GenU is $15 on Switch if you absolutely cannot wait for Rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

switch axe never really had any problems unless you were looking to 100% minmax your damage or whatever the gently caress. i'm not saying there weren't criticisms to be had about how certain paths would basically lead to doing the same thing repeatedly but ultimately you really didn't have to care about that stuff if you didn't care about squeezing every ounce out of it in the shortest amount of time. it's a great weapon and more people should try it out. it's not some knockoff charge blade like some people seem to think it is.