Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CommonShore posted:

He already announced that he's resigning "retiring" in 2021

He did? Can I please see some proof of this? Mostly because all I can find when I google Pallister and 2021 is articles about how he was talking about how 2021 would be better than 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
pallister hasnt officially announced retirement yet but the rumour was he called an early election so he could retire a year in and leave us with 3 more years of a new pc leader instead of retiring right before the scheduled election

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/union-cra-cerb-wrong-information-1.5848462

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
"Don't worry we won't send you to prison. We literally don't have enough space! So instead we will bleed you in any way possible for as long as possible. Carbon Credits? lol not for you! Merry Christmas, vote liberal"

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I wish there was a clean way to determine how much expense all the means testing bullshit around the CERB adds to the overall cost.

The cost to administer and support a program that convoluted has to be astronomical. Especially when the rules kept changing week to week and government websites/call centres kept giving out outdated information.

Sure seems a lot simpler to make programs universal, but Libs gotta lib I guess. :shrug:

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I get the impression that a lot of CRA stuff is pretty automated. I screwed up and forgot to file GST for my company (I'm a freelancer, but for the past couple years worked for U.S. companies and so didn't charge GST / HST), and didn't notice the assessments and late charges piling up on my account. I filed a $0 claim 2 years late, and within like an hour my balance mostly disappeared.

gently caress means testing anyway, but the extent of this enforcement is probably a computer somewhere sending a letter every few months.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

BGrifter posted:

I wish there was a clean way to determine how much expense all the means testing bullshit around the CERB adds to the overall cost.

The cost to administer and support a program that convoluted has to be astronomical. Especially when the rules kept changing week to week and government websites/call centres kept giving out outdated information.

Sure seems a lot simpler to make programs universal, but Libs gotta lib I guess. :shrug:

I just hope they extend the T4 slip and then regular personal T1 return deadlines this year, because it's going to be murder on us at work. The firm I work for does the T4 filing for a good number of our clients, and having to do all of the extra work wrt. breaking down pay earned in each CERB period we've been reading about is not going to be fun.

Universal with higher tax brackets, or clawback or whatever after-the-fact probably would've been a lot easier on us.

enki42 posted:

I get the impression that a lot of CRA stuff is pretty automated. I screwed up and forgot to file GST for my company (I'm a freelancer, but for the past couple years worked for U.S. companies and so didn't charge GST / HST), and didn't notice the assessments and late charges piling up on my account. I filed a $0 claim 2 years late, and within like an hour my balance mostly disappeared.

gently caress means testing anyway, but the extent of this enforcement is probably a computer somewhere sending a letter every few months.

From what I've been told, yeah, a lot of it is. Thankfully they've also been migrating more and more online, which helps my job immensely because getting through to an agent even on their corporate line is sometimes annoying.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

got my stimulus package from the manitoba government, merry christmas yall

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ontario lockdown Thursday at midnight

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:toot:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Terror Sweat posted:

Merry xmas Worst Case Ontario. Welcome to the club.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Terror Sweat posted:

last time they did a lockdown it was like 1/10th the number of cases we have now. should have locked down mid September once it became obvious the schools were spreading the plague

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Oh boy work is giving us a $100-$250 (depending on average hours) bonus mid jan for all the "hard work we've done".

They cancelled the $3/hour front line wage bonus like 4 months ago. Wow thanks, glad i can be in a situation where I'm exponentially more likely to get covid now, while earning less money.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

So does lockdown mean they are closing the provincial borders? Stopping people from gathering on xmas?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Boxing Day operating at 50% capacity

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Reality Protester posted:

Boxing Day operating at 50% capacity

Boxing Day shopping is an essential service

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
it's important to vaguely preannounce your lockdown plans, leak some of those plans to the media a day early, then announce a lockdown with several days' notice. maximum confusion is the best pandemic solution

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

love to give people juuust enough time to go around super spreading in a panic

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

yellowcar posted:

love to give people juuust enough time to go around super spreading in a panic

restaurants were packed last weekend in alberta as everyone made sure to get in one last trip to fuckin Boston Pizza with their grandma before the lockdown went into effect.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

restaurants were packed last weekend in alberta as everyone made sure to get in one last trip to fuckin Boston Pizza with their grandma before the lockdown went into effect.

god may take the breath from my body but he cannot take away the fine christmas tradition of a trip to red lobster

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BC friends don't forget to apply for the BC Recovery Benefit. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/economic-recovery/recovery-benefit.

quote:

Families and single parents
*$1,000 for eligible families and single parents with a net income of up to $125,000
*Reduced benefit amount for eligible families and single parents with a net income of up to $175,000

The benefit defines a family as an individual and their spouse or common-law partner, unless they are separated. Both people must be residents of B.C. on December 18, 2020.

The benefit defines a single parent as an individual who is the principal caregiver to at least one child.

Individuals
*$500 for eligible individuals with a net income of up to $62,500
*Reduced benefit amount for eligible individuals with a net income of up to $87,500

LOL you aren't a family unless you got a spouse. Lady with 3 kids? Not a family.

e: Sorry half the kids in BC raised by a single parent, you have no family.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

:banjo:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

:discourse:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Facebook Aunt posted:

BC friends don't forget to apply for the BC Recovery Benefit. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/economic-recovery/recovery-benefit.

LOL you aren't a family unless you got a spouse. Lady with 3 kids? Not a family.

it says “single parent” as well right at the top there. it’s obviously defining it for the purposes of family income, ie the income combination of spouses.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Andrew Scheer with no blood on his hands. What a leader!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Fried Watermelon posted:

So does lockdown mean they are closing the provincial borders? Stopping people from gathering on xmas?

Bad news about airports though

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Having enough money to get around the covid restrictions has been a part of this pandemic since day 1.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I did a walmart grocery pickup at deerfoot mall and watched at least 20 people go into the IHOP across the street

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

It looks like they've really messed-up. I think they've tried to stop scammers by adding a bunch of hoops but instead it has just put low-income ppl who were relying on the money the government told them they'd have before Christmas in a horrible situation.

https://twitter.com/lisa_steacy/status/1340937257159540738?s=19

https://twitter.com/DaynaB18/status/1340956669904207874?s=19

https://twitter.com/Kham55/status/1340960563581468675?s=19

https://twitter.com/shannonburnham/status/1340974122675814400?s=19

Note the last one. Unless your billing cycle is between December 19th and 31st, there's no way to have bills that include December 18th before January.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Goosed it. posted:

It looks like they've really messed-up. I think they've tried to stop scammers by adding a bunch of hoops but instead it has just put low-income ppl who were relying on the money the government told them they'd have before Christmas in a horrible situation.

Note the last one. Unless your billing cycle is between December 19th and 31st, there's no way to have bills that include December 18th before January.

After calling an unnecessary election in a pandemic because it was politically convenient, he doesn't give a gently caress about you anymore. Surprise.

Great job everyone in this thread who voted for him anyway. You da real mvp.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
has anyone said send everyone the money and then tax it back from those who didn't need it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no, i think that's a wholly unique idea.

i mean, for sure, no one in any level of government has said that

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

one of the coolest things conservatives and liberals have ingrained into people is that government is slowing, plodding, indecisive and inefficient. despite the fact the government ties your income to a number and uses that to come after you for not paying enough taxes we cant use that number to automatically enrol people in helpful programs that apply to them because of ??????????? horgan is a loving embarrassment and its fine if you voted for him because he was the least evil or whatever but you are a lovely person if you ever tried to put him on a pedestal

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
they want the praise for introducing the program but i think they hope some people won't apply because they don't know they have to

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

one of the coolest things conservatives and liberals have ingrained into people is that government is slowing, plodding, indecisive and inefficient. despite the fact the government ties your income to a number and uses that to come after you for not paying enough taxes we cant use that number to automatically enrol people in helpful programs that apply to them because of ??????????? horgan is a loving embarrassment and its fine if you voted for him because he was the least evil or whatever but you are a lovely person if you ever tried to put him on a pedestal

Especially since this is what the BC government did this spring with expanded tax credits...and how they administered MSP until this year....

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Lol gently caress Steven McNeil

Dozens of hospital employees across Nova Scotia lose jobs to American-owned company just before the holidays

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Goosed it. posted:

I filled it out last night and I didn’t have to submit any scanned docs at all. :confused:

I guess if the gov’t comes knocking I’ll have to produce them?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Goosed it. posted:

There is definitely some inconsistency. While the website said I'd need all those things, the application never asked me for them. It asked me for my SIN, driver's licence #, bank account, address, and a particular line from my 2019 tax return. That's it. I don't have a driver's licence so I clicked the no got 'em box, assuming it would ask more for something else instead, but nope. Easy peasy.

It could be because I'm already getting money from provincial disability. So my SIN, tax return, bank info, address, and the fact that I don't have a driver's licence matches the information they already have on file for me. And of course as a goon I am very comfortable using my desktop PC to fill out online forms.

My mom is not comfortable filling out online forms, so I totally didn't commit fraud and fill out the form for her. It asked her for the same things it had asked me, not the laundry list of things it could have requested. Which is great, because she's been staying with me since March and none of the utility bills are in her name. While she's getting senior citizen money now, she does still get the $55 a month BC transportation supplement from when she was on disability, so again all her info is on file with the government.

So I guess if you don't have all that stuff try filling out the application anyway, maybe you'll get lucky. :shrug: If you know some old or muddled people who don't have online access or aren't comfortable with online forms, maybe offer to help them out so they don't have to try to navigate phone tree hell.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That's awful. Not just for contracting out, but for contracting out to america where our privacy laws do not apply, and some of their privacy laws don't apply to foreigners. That american company will happily hand over records to the NSA or CIA or whoever. Contracting out confidential records to a foreign country is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

prom candy posted:

has anyone said send everyone the money and then tax it back from those who didn't need it?

tax the rich? what country do you think we're living in?