Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

remusclaw posted:

Presumably, the jokes that would have been made in that portion of the riff.

Valid, but I'm just reminded of the extended cabbie sequence in Time Chasers and the new bits reveal not only did he have a bad New York accent he was also terribly racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Valid, but I'm just reminded of the extended cabbie sequence in Time Chasers and the new bits reveal not only did he have a bad New York accent he was also terribly racist.

I remember the crew talking bout how they kind of felt bad riffing it after the Time Chaser people sent them their movie, but this makes up for it some. They could have easily gone harder on them and with no earned guilt on their part if they had wanted to.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dawgstar posted:

What do people think they're losing out on in, for example, A Talking Cat!?

They didn't actually trim anything out of A Talking Cat!?! They riffed the whole drat thing, even the credits.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They didn't actually trim anything out of A Talking Cat!?! They riffed the whole drat thing, even the credits.

Gosh! How could anyone not want the same treatment for their other films?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I've updated my guide to holiday-based RiffTrax movies and shorts.

The new Snowman cartoon they just released is absolutely worth your dollar.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Gavok posted:

I've updated my guide to holiday-based RiffTrax movies and shorts.

The new Snowman cartoon they just released is absolutely worth your dollar.

Good to hear! I watched Fun in Balloon Land last night and I'd completely forgotten the ratio of balloon adventure to parade footage. I kept thinking there was more wandering around in weird, echoing warehouses, but no. Right to the parade footage! Yay, yay!

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
The stuff they edited out of It's a Wonderful Life was stuff that wasn't technically in public domain, I guess. https://www.rifftrax.com/its-a-wonderful-life

quote:

As some of you know, It’s a Wonderful Life was in the public domain for decades, then back out again — it’s a complicated history. The main copyrighted stuff comes down to 1) material from the short story "The Greatest Gift" that part of the film was based on, and 2) some musical rights for background songs.

Well, since we wanted to offer this Christmas treat to you as a video on demand, we have meticulously excised all such parts. Which leaves... quite a bit, as it turns out! One hour and forty-six minutes worth, in fact.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah but the extended bicycle chase that wasn't in the MST3K episode is incredible. I remember getting that and Space Mutiny on a DVD set and being baffled they couldn't work the bike chase into the episode. It's so good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ixnay posted:

The stuff they edited out of It's a Wonderful Life was stuff that wasn't technically in public domain, I guess. https://www.rifftrax.com/its-a-wonderful-life

That's is in fact a perfectly good reason for cutting so much of the movie. I'll add this to the list that includes the "naked Mario Lopez sex scene" excised from The Journey: Absolution. And no, I do not care that the scene contains a naked Jamie Pressly.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 19, 2020

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ixnay posted:

We watched it last night - its a very weird heel face turn without the What-If sequence. I forgot, or didn't realize as a kid, how terrible George is.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Dienes posted:

We watched it last night - its a very weird heel face turn without the What-If sequence. I forgot, or didn't realize as a kid, how terrible George is.

What was missing?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Action Jacktion posted:

What was missing?

The entire sequence where the angel shows him what the world would be like if he didn't exist. So George rescues the angel, angel says, "I'm your angel," and George is skeptical...cut to George running down the street MERRY CHRISTMAS MOVIE HOUSE. It kinda reads like he went "My life could be worse, I could be a delusional homeless man who thinks he's an angel."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny that they had to cut out the one thing most people remember from the movie. Although really that entire sequence just goes on for so long and just belabors the point. Also it just goes over the top with some of the changes like Uncle Billy in the asylum or Mary ending up alone.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It really is odd not having that part of the film, but the riff was fine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah but the extended bicycle chase that wasn't in the MST3K episode is incredible. I remember getting that and Space Mutiny on a DVD set and being baffled they couldn't work the bike chase into the episode. It's so good.

That leaves an interesting question of what you leave in that I'm sure they always wrestled with. Like you want to keep everything in Bob Evil's officemezzanine so the bike chase has to go, I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New Bridget and Mary Jo short, https://www.rifftrax.com/the-blessed-midnight.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I have watched a lot of Christmas shorts in the past few days and every Castle Films joke makes me laugh.

“Castle Films, pouring boiling oil into the eyes of their viewers for over 30 years!”

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Lumbermouth posted:

I have watched a lot of Christmas shorts in the past few days and every Castle Films joke makes me laugh.

“Castle Films, pouring boiling oil into the eyes of their viewers for over 30 years!”

Golden Corral's newest slogan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

That leaves an interesting question of what you leave in that I'm sure they always wrestled with. Like you want to keep everything in Bob Evil's officemezzanine so the bike chase has to go, I guess.

I'm sure you could find the time but it's a perfect episode so it's better they didn't. I can just imagine the meeting where they figured out what to cut and how agonizing it was to take out the bike chase. Might have caused a fist fight.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
The guy who does the rifftrax cover art is teasing on twitter that they're gonna do Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders

https://twitter.com/TheJasonMartian/status/1339674876680916992

https://twitter.com/TheJasonMartian/status/1341466284995702785

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That first one is clearly just Bill Corbett. He's not shaved or gotten a haircut since the pandemic started.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Merlin's shop is one of my favorite MST3k episodes so this is a great christmas present.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So the monkey story apparently has a much darker end where everyone dies but I'm not sure if that made it into the Merlin version.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

muscles like this! posted:

So the monkey story apparently has a much darker end where everyone dies but I'm not sure if that made it into the Merlin version.

It did not.

Uh on! I farted!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You're welcome!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yay yay! With Fun in Balloonland tonight, we've watched all of the xmas Rifftrax in our collection (which I'm pretty sure is all of them) except for the Yule Log we'll probably put on while opening gifts tomorrow.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I watched It’s A Wonderful Life then watched the half of the Riff version I didn’t manage to earlier due to being busy. In that context for me the cut itself was hilarious.

I guess god realized direct payment really does solve most problems!

I am actually surprised how much stuff is still in the film. There were some other minor cuts but it pretty much is one act. Albeit the most pivotal one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder to check your spam folders as it is time for the annual Rifftrax $10 gift card.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

A fool and his money will soon be parted

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
Lol I guess throw some more copyright trolls on the pile I guess :rolleyes:

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Hey folks, which are the best Bridget and Mary Jo riffs? Don't usually try the guest riffers but I have this voucher burning a hole in my pocket now

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Angels Revenge is great, and I keep coming back to the shorts: Home of the Future, Boy who didn't listen, world of tupperware, Prom it's a Pleasure

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Also all the Teen Agers movies are loving wild. I think the first two are free on Tubi if you want to check them out.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Kojiro posted:

Hey folks, which are the best Bridget and Mary Jo riffs? Don't usually try the guest riffers but I have this voucher burning a hole in my pocket now

Honestly, almost anything they do is gold. ("Let's Talk Turkey," is, pun intended, kinda dry.) I second "Home of the Future" and "Prom - it's a Pleasure" but other solid shorts are "Oh Boy, Babies!", "The Maturing Woman," and "The Babysitter"

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Their holiday collections are some of my favorites.

And if you haven't seen them, I recommend Conor and Sean's two shorts: Bicycle Safety School and the Kids Guide to the Internet.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Naked Man Punch posted:

Honestly, almost anything they do is gold. ("Let's Talk Turkey," is, pun intended, kinda dry.) I second "Home of the Future" and "Prom - it's a Pleasure" but other solid shorts are "Oh Boy, Babies!", "The Maturing Woman," and "The Babysitter"

'The Maturing Woman' is probably my favorite, starting with "Oh, Mary Jo, this'll be good for you!" but they're all choice.

'Rescue Me' is a good full-length flick riff. They have a lot of fun with it being very 90's and starring a young Stephen Dorff.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope sean and conner do a 90s tv movie next, like the one about the cropduster plane that gets lost on Christmas and has to be saved by Air New Zealand

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You pretty much can't go wrong with a Bridget and Mary Jo riff but yeah, the Teen Agers movies are fun.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
All these B&MJ shorts being listed and no one mentions Word To The Wives?

Continuous Ice Circles, people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Paper Kaiju posted:

All these B&MJ shorts being listed and no one mentions Word To The Wives?

Continuous Ice Circles, people!

suck it, loser :smug: