Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So Disney bought Marvel, and made a bunch of blockbuster movies, and then they made their own streaming service called Disney+ and now they're making MCU shows for it.

:siren: Spoiler tags are in effect for 48 hours after release on D+ (ie, giving people Friday and Saturday to watch and catch up). :siren:

Coming on Disney+ starting from January 2021, this covers Phase 4:

WandaVision - starts January 15th, 2021

Despite Vision being dead, he and Wanda 'Scarlet Witch' Maximoff find themselves in a weird sitcom-style suburbia trying to hide their superpowers from their neighbours. Decades pass, and things just get weirder and weirder. Starring Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj9J2ecsSpo

The Falcon and the Winter Solder - starts March 19th, 2021

Picking up from the end of Avengers: Endgame, Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes work together as Sam starts to take on the mantle of Captain America. Antony Mackie and Sebastian Stan star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkBfGvb7NzM

Loki - coming June 9th, 2021

In the middle of Avengers: Endgame, Loki vanished briefly. This is the story of what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4JuopziR3Q

WHAT IF...? - August 11th, 2021

An animated series based on the comics of the same name, which explore different versions of the Marvel universe where things took a alternative path to what we know. Voiced by the original MCU actors, this series shows us unfamiliar territory with a lot of recognisable faces. Jeffrey Wright is the voice of the Watcher, Uatu, and yes, that's Chadwick Boseman in his last performance as T'Challa. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iLVoEg9aLk

Hawkeye - 24th November, 2021

Jeremy Renner returns as Clint Barton AKA the Avengers' resident archer Hawkeye, and brings with him his protégé Kate Bishop (played by Hailee Steinfeld), who he's training to replace him. Currently filming, set pictures have revealed the presence of the real star of the show, Pizza Dog. Said to be based heavily on the Matt Fraction run of the comics from a few years back.

Moon Knight - 30th March, 2022

Oscar Isaac stars as Moon Knight, the avatar of the Egyptian moon god Khonshu (maybe, maybe not).

Ms. Marvel - June 8th, 2022

Based on the more recent incarnation of Ms Marvel, Kamala Khan, a teenager with shape-shifting powers. Kamala has been an incredibly popular character in the comics since her introduction, and her initiation into the MCU was only a matter of time. Starring Iman Vellani.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRNI9TtBM5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9EX0f6V11Y

She-Hulk - 2022

Tatiana Maslany stars as Jennifer Walters, cousin of Bruce Banner, who receives a blood transfusion from him, and oh no! Marc Ruffalo and Tim Roth are both set to return as Banner and the Abomination respectively.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Future series - no release date yet

Secret Invasion - 2022?

Samuel L. Jackson is back as Nick Fury and Ben Mendelsohn from Captain Marvel returns as the Skrull Talos.

Ironheart - 2022?

Dominique Thorne is genius inventor Riri Williams in Ironheart, an Original Series about the creator of the most advanced suit of armor since Iron Man. Guaranteed to make chuds froth at the mouth.

Armor Wars - 2022?

Don Cheadle returns as James Rhodes aka War Machine in Armor Wars. A classic Marvel story about Tony Stark’s worst fear coming true: what happens when his tech falls into the wrong hands?

The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special - 2022

James Gunn is back to write and direct.

I Am Groot - ????

Everyone’s favorite little tree, Baby Groot, will star in a series of shorts on Disney+ featuring several new and unusual characters.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 11, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So honestly, it looks like Disney+ plans to continuously air a Marvel show week on week for all of next year. Going by the dates, it seems as if WandaVision will finish, and then F&WS starts up the following week, then the same with Loki.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

The_Doctor posted:

So honestly, it looks like Disney+ plans to continuously air a Marvel show week on week for all of next year. Going by the dates, it seems as if WandaVision will finish, and then F&WS starts up the following week, then the same with Loki.

That honestly sounds like a great idea. I'm really excited about all these series but I'm looking forward to how they do US Agent

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Diabetic posted:

That honestly sounds like a great idea. I'm really excited about all these series but I'm looking forward to how they do US Agent

My memory (from very long ago) was that he was kind of an rear end in a top hat version of Cap with no powers? That and he had a black version of his costume.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
drat, between these shows and the next slate of movies, it looks like there's basically two main themes:

Passing of the Torch:
With ones like Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Hawkeye, Moonknight, She-Hulk, IronHeart, etc... we get a new set of heroes filling the same/similar slots the Phase 1-3 guys did.

Time and Dimensional Shenanigans:
Wandavisnion, Loki, What If...?, and the casting rumors and confirmations for Spider-Man 3 and Dr.Strange 2, we're going to see some (hopefully) cool time and multiverse poo poo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If having the TVA in Loki brings up Death’s Head, I’m going to have to lie down (due to no blood being in the top half of my body).

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Woah

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1337198946138075137?s=20

So she will be in tv show and movie

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Heh, that’s what Agents of Shield was originally planned to be like.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can't get over how bad the animation is in What If...? Just truly embarrassing art direction.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The_Doctor posted:

Ironheart - 2022?

Dominique Thorne is genius inventor Riri Williams in Ironheart, an Original Series about the creator of the most advanced suit of armor since Iron Man. Guaranteed to make chuds froth at the mouth.

There must be a little chud in me, because I'm not sure how to feel about Ironheart. Specifically, I'm torn on the fact Tony Stark had several possible successors already present in the MCU between Pepper, Morgan, Rhodey, Harley Keener and Peter Parker, yet it's someone completely unconnected and not seen before in that MCU that's going to be the next MCU Iron armour user. It kind of has to be though, I suppose. Pepper was never interested in it, as cool as I think the Rescue armor and the idea of a suit that's not focused on offense at all is (though the Rescue armor in Endgame doesn't show this off regardless), Morgan is way too young to be doing it for another 10 years or more in the MCU without some time shenanigans, which I'd prefer they avoid anyway, Rhodey isn't an engineer and already is getting focus in the "Armor Wars" show and Peter is only Tony's successor in a spiritual sense, and was never going to be another armor user. Which leaves Harley. Who, I enjoyed in "Iron-Man 3", but I'm not sure how other people felt about him and doesn't have anything major going for him regardless. I'm quite happy to see him as someone Tony inspired in general, rather than to be a hero specifically. It's also not like the next armor user has to be connected to him personally anyway, and not just someone his life inspired by proxy, rather than direct contact.

I'd probably be more torn on this if Rhodey wasn't getting focus, honestly. As is though, I can't wait for "Armor Wars" and I just hope that the writing uses the fact Rhodey is crippled outside of the armor in some fashion. I don't even mind him getting a spine implant or maybe bionic legs or something, but I hope there's some scenes of him dealing with the fact he needs those things or maybe losing them for a short while at his lowest point so that he has to struggle without them near the climax or something.

That aside, the one I'm probably most looking forward to is "She-Hulk", which I'm really hoping leans in to comedy of the character and the 4th wall breaking aspect John Byrne made a large part of his run, as well as the weird law cases that she generally got involved in between that run and Sloth's run of the comics. I know Deadpool generally has a lock on the 4th wall stuff these days in the comics, but I always enjoyed the silliness of that in the She-Hulk comics too, like Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg & Holliway having long boxes full of past issues of Marvel comics as evidence for various trials she was involved in. I did like her as a Bounty Hunter with Jazinda (a Skrull) too, in a more action oriented run from what little I saw of it since I was starting to drop out of comics by that point, but it sounds like the run will focus mostly on her as a lawyer and I'm really excited for that.

On the other hand, "Secret Wars" is probably the one show I'm not looking forward to, just because I detest the idea of a story whose core premise is "You know these characters we've spent years building up? Yea, some of them are just fakes, and we're going to have them be spies for something else that was barely relevant until now, so we can retcon the characters". It's possible that the show will do the story justice, or that it won't even use that and will only have Skrulls replace a handful of characters recently or something, but it's definitely not a story or show I'm looking forward to regardless.

Edit: I haven't read any of the comics in more than 10 years at this point, and it seems like the TVA is a new thing there. Is it supposed to evoke the Living Tribunal in general, or am I just imagining that based on vague recollections of older material? Also, is Sam actually confirmed to be inheriting the shield and becoming a new Cap at some point? I assume the show is about that, but it seems strange that he spends the entire trailer solely as The Falcon, and there's not even a promotional shot of him with a redesigned outfit wearing the shield or anything that I can recall.

Just looking at this again, it seems strange that Kamala has a poster of Carol on her wall and is presumably directly inspired by her in the story too, just like in the comics and yet Carol will barely have been visible to anyone on Earth in the MCU by the point the show airs. I wonder how they'll make her relevant to Kamala in the show. Are they just gonna imply she's been active a lot more on Earth at some point than we've seen or something? Also, watching the trailer for it again, there's a good bit more of the adaptation in it than I had remembered from a few days ago. I'm looking forward to a trailer for it in a few months, and seeing how they adapt her origins. Will they go with terragenesis, or ignore the Inhumans now that they have the X-Men again?

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 13, 2020

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1338846284015226881?s=20

So... a clip show? Maybe not as terrible as it sounds if it's a way for those who haven't watched the previous films to get caught up without having to watch 20 something 2 hour plus movies.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Given recent reports that WandaVision is less than 8 episodes, I think there will be a couple of off-weeks between the shows, some of which will get Legends recaps to prep for the next show. But it looks like D+ has decided to fight churn by always having a marquee show running, and along with their SW and NatGeo announcements, one per tab.

Kamala's probably going to be inspired by Carol being the biggest, flashiest hero active during the Blip. We saw how the Hulk has kid fans in Endgame, seeing as she doesn't have his baggage and is probably more immediately visible cleaning up the crisis of the early days post-blip, it would make sense for her to be well-known and beloved.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's weird how the casting of Tatiana Maslany as She-Hulk started as a leak from some random source, then months later she came out and said herself that it was just some weird rumor and she had nothing to do with it, and now they've officially announced her. Was she just being cagey, or did they not have the role cast yet and then pursued her after fan support of the rumor? Either way I'm really happy for her getting a role that big, I'm still amazed she managed to play like 15 distinct characters on Orphan Black.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The only disappointment about Tatiana Maslany as She-Hulk is that it means Stephanie Beatriz isn't playing her, but she dropped out of contention before that anyway, due to filming Brooklyn 99 when She-Hulk would be filming so that's more than understandable. On the other hand, it means that she's now rumored to be up for consideration in a female adaptation of Ghost Rider, and that sounds amazing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Stephanie Beatriz would have been an interesting choice as She-Hulk, although I’ve not seen her do drama.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

sticklefifer posted:

It's weird how the casting of Tatiana Maslany as She-Hulk started as a leak from some random source, then months later she came out and said herself that it was just some weird rumor and she had nothing to do with it, and now they've officially announced her. Was she just being cagey, or did they not have the role cast yet and then pursued her after fan support of the rumor? Either way I'm really happy for her getting a role that big, I'm still amazed she managed to play like 15 distinct characters on Orphan Black.

Her denying having the part was almost certainly a case of the contract not being officially signed and/or her being cagey because Marvel wanted to make the official announcement at the investor call. I don't remember which of the Hollywood trades broke the story originally, but the Deadline/THR/Variety troika generally doesn't make poo poo up the way the cottage industry of superhero clickbait sites do. They have actual sources, like agents and studio executives. So it's possible her agent wanted to get the news out to show off how good they are, or whatever, just Hollywood politics as usual.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The_Doctor posted:

Stephanie Beatriz would have been an interesting choice as She-Hulk, although I’ve not seen her do drama.

She-Hulk will hopefully be mostly a comedy show anyway. She-Hulk's best comics have all been pretty comedic in nature, and several entire runs of them have leaned in that direction, so it wouldn't be unusual for them to adapt it to be comedy show rather than a drama show. They've already stated it'll be about her as a lawyer trying cases, and implied it'll probably be guest starring a bevy of other MCU characters for the trials in each episode; so the implication is certainly it'll go in that direction. I would be surprised if you didn't have minor or more comic villains like Justin Hammer appearing, or Jen trying to get Ant-man's charges dropped or something. There'll probably be at least one case involving a cosmic force or dimensional being of some kind too, if the comics are any indication; though they may leave that till a second season. It might be more of a dramedy I guess, but it's not like Stephanie Beatriz hasn't done some dramatic acting on Brooklyn 99 despite it being primarily a comedy show.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 19, 2020

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Her denying having the part was almost certainly a case of the contract not being officially signed and/or her being cagey because Marvel wanted to make the official announcement at the investor call. I don't remember which of the Hollywood trades broke the story originally, but the Deadline/THR/Variety troika generally doesn't make poo poo up the way the cottage industry of superhero clickbait sites do. They have actual sources, like agents and studio executives. So it's possible her agent wanted to get the news out to show off how good they are, or whatever, just Hollywood politics as usual.

It's probably the draconian Disney NDA, and her agent being scared that if they didn't deny it, it could be seen as tacitly confirming and then whoops, big ol' lawsuit.

And I'm super hype for WandaVision because it looks bonkers in a way that the movies haven't really done and that Falcon & WS clearly isn't. (I think F&WS being originally scheduled to air first was them being nervous about getting too weird too fast, and wanting what seems to basically just be Cap 4)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

New little WandaVision spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0xUKZhom1Y

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Are they going to do a Reverse House of M and have her wishing more people like her into existence, thus bringing X-Men into the MCU?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

GigaPeon posted:

Are they going to do a Reverse House of M and have her wishing more people like her into existence, thus bringing X-Men into the MCU?

"No, more mutants!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GigaPeon posted:

Unless they're going for a surprise reveal probably not because they've announced their slate of upcoming projects and there's nothing mutant related on the schedule.

Although The Mandalorian just did that and they might not want to do it again so close.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 19, 2020

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Most likely the big 'surprise' is a Cumberbatch cameo in the last episode as Strange is revealed as the guy on the outside, to set up Olsen being in that movie.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
one of my big questions, which I’m not sure will be answered anytime soon, is whether anything had to change in post-production or rewrites due to COVID-related film delays. I.e. FATWS was originally supposed to premiere three months after Black Widow but is now supposed to premiere two months before it, and it was rumored that it would follow up on certain elements of BW. Loki also seems like it would have been a fairly natural place for Eternals characters to show up had the original release calendar stayed intact, though that was never reported anywhere that I know of.

The_Doctor posted:

pretty sure it won’t be quite *every* week in 2021, there are at least a few weeks in between WandaVision and FATWS for instance, but from the Dec. 10 announcements, it’s pretty clear that their goal is to have a release cadence of new Marvel Studios and/or Star Wars content almost every week in 2022, if not by the end of 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Barry Convex posted:

pretty sure it won’t be quite *every* week in 2021, there are at least a few weeks in between WandaVision and FATWS for instance, but from the Dec. 10 announcements, it’s pretty clear that their goal is to have a release cadence of new Marvel Studios and/or Star Wars content almost every week in 2022, if not by the end of 2021
I'm glad a streaming service finally remembered why weekly appointment television was so successful for so long. Season dumps are fine when I'm ready for it, but the sheer volume of them means I'll always have a backlog of shows I want to check out but never get around to. If someone tells me there's a new episode of something on Wednesday, I'm much more likely to watch it than I am if someone told me to set aside 10-13 hours for a season binge. It's also smarter for keeping people subscribing long-term instead of just canceling after they're done with a show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

one of my big questions, which I’m not sure will be answered anytime soon, is whether anything had to change in post-production or rewrites due to COVID-related film delays. I.e. FATWS was originally supposed to premiere three months after Black Widow but is now supposed to premiere two months before it, and it was rumored that it would follow up on certain elements of BW. Loki also seems like it would have been a fairly natural place for Eternals characters to show up had the original release calendar stayed intact, though that was never reported anywhere that I know of.

They're probably crossing their fingers and hoping vaccination is far enough along that Black Widow can be out in like April.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

WandaVision will have 6 episodes, premiering weekly from Jan 15th, which takes it up to Feb 19th. Then a month later Falcon and Winter Soldier premieres on March 19th, again for 6 episodes (April 23rd). Loki is coming out in May (the 21st would probably be a good bet).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

What?!? But what about all those twitter accounts and youtube channels that swore Larson had been fired because everyone hates her!?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

What?!? But what about all those twitter accounts and youtube channels that swore Larson had been fired because everyone hates her!?

No, see this is Disney compromising with the SJWs by putting all the pandering 'diversity' into one movie, probably because that stuck-up bitch Larson made her agent threaten poor Feige with a lawsuit if they fired her.

...I feel dirty writing that even as a joke.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

No, see this is Disney compromising with the SJWs by putting all the pandering 'diversity' into one movie, probably because that stuck-up bitch Larson made her agent threaten poor Feige with a lawsuit if they fired her.

Heh heh heh

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

That's probably verbatim what someone like Overlord DVD said.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

The_Doctor posted:

WandaVision will have 6 episodes, premiering weekly from Jan 15th, which takes it up to Feb 19th. Then a month later Falcon and Winter Soldier premieres on March 19th, again for 6 episodes (April 23rd). Loki is coming out in May (the 21st would probably be a good bet).

they haven't announced anything specific for What If, Ms. Marvel, and Hawkeye, but July, September, and November seem like good guesses. so a cadence of one Marvel Studios premiere on Disney+ roughly every 2-3 months seems to be what they're going for,

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Has Ms Marvel even started shooting? (I think we can be sure She-Hulk hasn't if only because Ruffalo would've let it slip by now)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Gaz-L posted:

Has Ms Marvel even started shooting? (I think we can be sure She-Hulk hasn't if only because Ruffalo would've let it slip by now)

It has, they showed footage in the trailer for it. (And they’ve been seen filming if that was even a question of being real)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

There's some footage spliced in amongst the segments of the actress being told she got the part, the crew talking about why they love the character etc. in the brief trailer they aired during the investor meeting so it's definitely been in filming. You get brief shots of her and a boy looking at what seems to be a costume, the two of them on a roof talking, her lying on a bed with a poster of Carol on the wall and her interacting with her father at the kitchen table as she's getting ready to head out from what I recall. There's only ever a second or two of footage at a time, but it's there. It and Hawkeye are the two shows we've known are coming for a while that don't have a full on trailer yet, but we got some snippets of footage for Ms. Marvel, so that's presumably further along in production and will probably come before Hawkeye.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Fair enough, though I'm not sure it's so clear cut it'd air before Hawkeye. Hawkeye probably has less effects work to do in post, given Kamala's powers are gonna require a ton of CG, where as exploding arrows and such can be done practically.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GQ9mH5Zzr0

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I have to assume the concept designers of the MCU made Wanda's powers look similar to the Aether on purpose, because they seem to be leaning into her as basically a lesser Reality Stone. I'm kind of surprised they never went all out and connected it to her in the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

sticklefifer posted:

I have to assume the concept designers of the MCU made Wanda's powers look similar to the Aether on purpose, because they seem to be leaning into her as basically a lesser Reality Stone. I'm kind of surprised they never went all out and connected it to her in the movies.

Considering reality warping is her whole thing in the comics, that would make sense. Although it might also be a bit of serendipity.