Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah it's just hard to motivate myself to upgrade from my current old TV unless I wanna get a legitimately good one, which will be annoyingly expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Martman posted:

Yeah it's just hard to motivate myself to upgrade from my current old TV unless I wanna get a legitimately good one, which will be annoyingly expensive

If ever get the motivation people here are pretty knowledgeable and can work within what you want to spend. https://rtings.com is also an excellent resource for TVs and has categories including best TVs for Xbox or whatever niche you might want a TV for.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Now that I have a Series S I'm just gonna be a stubborn cheap gamer for a while, but some day I will set up my gamerzone to the utmost

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

I don't think it's possible to buy a non-4K tv these days.

For 40" and larger sets it's getting a lot harder and definitely something you have to go out of your way to get (I think it's largely older models still on shelves that might be a bit cheaper). Smaller sets there are still 1080p and even 720p screens being made.

I said come in! posted:

When I bought my Xbox Series X, my wife recommended I give the Xbox One X to her dad. I figured her parents would appreciate it as a 4K blu-ray player. But turns out too her dad wants to play video games on it. :kiddo: He is baby boomer age and never showed any interest in gaming at all until now. So trying to find some games to gift him. I got him Forza Motorsport 7 Ultimate Edition as a digital code from Microsoft because its $28 right now and he really likes cars, and the game has tons of accessibility features that make it perfect for anyone. Trying to think of other games that fall into that category.

Xbox made a legit-nice video along these lines yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFpJjbll2VU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I still have my 1080p plasma and I will upgrade when it dies and not a day sooner

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

jabro posted:

If ever get the motivation people here are pretty knowledgeable and can work within what you want to spend. https://rtings.com is also an excellent resource for TVs and has categories including best TVs for Xbox or whatever niche you might want a TV for.
Yeah, when my last set died (RIP Panasonic plasma) I used our tv thread and RTings as a resource to find a 4K TCL that was 13 inches bigger, did everything I wanted with great response time, and only cost $350 on sale. Couldn't have been happier.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Console games have been using something very similar to DLSS for quite awhile now. Although it could be that it's just simply not as good for performance, you're probably right. Nvidia really does consistently blow AMD out of the water in this area, so I was disappointed that the new consoles don't use Nvidia.

how would they use nvidia what are they going to do put a freaking tegra in the consoles. no one else makes APUs at any kind of level close to amd theyre by far the best at it, theres no other option really unless you just want a smartphone chip.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

univbee posted:

I like this.

It’d be $61 For a full year of gamepass ultimate and live. It has forza 7 and horizon 4 on there, plus all the other games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I said come in! posted:

When I bought my Xbox Series X, my wife recommended I give the Xbox One X to her dad. I figured her parents would appreciate it as a 4K blu-ray player. But turns out too her dad wants to play video games on it. :kiddo: He is baby boomer age and never showed any interest in gaming at all until now. So trying to find some games to gift him. I got him Forza Motorsport 7 Ultimate Edition as a digital code from Microsoft because its $28 right now and he really likes cars, and the game has tons of accessibility features that make it perfect for anyone. Trying to think of other games that fall into that category.

I strongly predict that he's going to get a Series X when Flight Simulator comes out. Just you wait.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

univbee posted:

That’s a pretty good video, gaming with your kids rules. I have a nice Minecraft server with my boy that I plan on keeping up forever and we’ve played a lot of halo since getting a fancy new Xbox.

For all the poo poo minecraft gets, it is an excellent learning tool. Both the game itself and all the poo poo you can do with it. My son is really excited about making mods for it but I’m not giving him unfettered access to the internet anytime soon so I put together my old gaming PC and threw Debian on it so he has a one to mess around and learn Java with. He’s both pissed off and intrigued by Linux. Lol

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Stux posted:

how would they use nvidia what are they going to do put a freaking tegra in the consoles. no one else makes APUs at any kind of level close to amd theyre by far the best at it, theres no other option really unless you just want a smartphone chip.

Switch 2 will have DLSS before consoles get an AMD equivalent lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I strongly predict that he's going to get a Series X when Flight Simulator comes out. Just you wait.

You are not wrong. Next time he comes over im gonna have him play it in VR on my pc.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
I didn't know there was an xbox 360 version of the pimp my ride game

microsoft should add backwards-compatibility support so I can ghost ride the whip in 4k 120 fps

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Barudak posted:

I still have my 1080p plasma and I will upgrade when it dies and not a day sooner

A day sooner would be the logical choice if you think about it. No downtime.

Unto the end is possibly the hardest game I’ve ever played, has anyone else tried it. Do I just have poo poo old man reactions?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Crafty posted:

Unto the end is possibly the hardest game I’ve ever played, has anyone else tried it. Do I just have poo poo old man reactions?

No, yes.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Barudak posted:

A man of culture :hai:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I bought Cyberpunk on the store just to get the 6,000 points reward and instantly refunded it before it had even downloaded.

Great game, 10/10.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I bought Cyberpunk on the store just to get the 6,000 points reward and instantly refunded it before it had even downloaded.

Great game, 10/10.

Lol I’m gonna do this.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
cdpr really letting us live our cyberpunk fantasies

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Great game, 10/10.

I did this too but at least went through the game intro to see how bad it was and haha, really bad on xbox one s

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Omg i just got the deep rock galactica joke

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Great game, 10/10.

This is genius but I’m terrified I’m going to get in trouble if I do it myself

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I know somebody who refunded and had the points removed so ymmv.

Though I myself refunded Watch Dogs and got to keep the points so... ymmv?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zachack posted:

Apparently an expansion or something for Gears 5 (hivebuster?) just came out and is supposed to be really visually impressive.

I heard this looks great even on Series S, interested in checking it out even though I am very much not a Gears Guy gameplay wise

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Forza does seem like a good old people game because its like infinitely customizable when it comes to how difficult it is to play and/or beat the computer.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Forza has a old people’s/kiddies setting where it will brake for you and drag your car back on the racing line and you don’t lose any money over it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hatty posted:

Switch 2 will have DLSS before consoles get an AMD equivalent lol

yeah and itll be on a mobile soc or something used for running software in a car. if you want a real combined chip the only option is amd. gets even more amd weighted when you go for performance to power ratios bcos the new consoles both have insanely low power draw for what theyre achieving.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Switch 2 is gonna use Apple Silicon :sickos:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Barudak posted:

This was me with a dlp, but just moving houses was the trigger to just leave it behind.

TVs are so cheap now I just considered it a moving expense.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Ah I think they’ve just removed the 6,000 points but left the punchcard as completed, I can’t be bothered to do the sums but I’m roughly 5,200 points worse off today - maybe they’ve left the points on for the purchase? I dunno.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Check your email accounts for a marketing email from Xbox titled "Gifts for gamers made easy". If you click the trophy down at the bottom of the email, you'll get a five dollar gift card added to your account.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Is there a list of "must plays" on Game Pass? I just got a SeXbox after skipping a generation and signed up for 38 months of Game Pass Ultimate, and I grabbed some that I recognized the names of, but really there's a lot there and I don't want to check reviews on 100s of games.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

RodShaft posted:

Is there a list of "must plays" on Game Pass? I just got a SeXbox after skipping a generation and signed up for 38 months of Game Pass Ultimate, and I grabbed some that I recognized the names of, but really there's a lot there and I don't want to check reviews on 100s of games.

This will vary by taste, but Outer Wilds is up there for sure among the best games on game pass.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

RodShaft posted:

Forza Horizon 4
Halo MCC (it's good now)
Ace Combat 7
Gears 5
Control
Doom Eternal
Ori (both)
Outer Wilds
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RodShaft posted:

To avoid just skimming the AAA games,

- Frostpunk is a really good colony sim about keeping a colony alive in a word slowly freezing to death
- Outer Wilds (NOT Outer Worlds, which is an unplayably boring game) is a fun freeform mystery game about trying to figure out why your universe keeps exploding every 20 minutes.
- Subnautica is a survival game that takes place entirely underwater.
- Hypnospace Outlaw is a clever game by the guy that made Dropsy about being an internet cop on late 90s software.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I would really like to try Subnautica but that 30fps cap and with the terrible draw distance puts me off trying.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Thom12255 posted:

I would really like to try Subnautica but that 30fps cap and with the terrible draw distance puts me off trying.

I mean you're literally swimming through murky water. If you surface you can see for miles.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean you're literally swimming through murky water. If you surface you can see for miles.

From the videos I've seen there is a huge amount of pop-in just a few ft in front of you under the ocean.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whats on the horizon for the series X are there some next gen patches coming for last gen games we know about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

whats on the horizon for the series X are there some next gen patches coming for last gen games we know about

Fallout 4 is getting a 60fps patch sometime.