Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that guy is a badass and we could all be more like him

At my new job I’m working CST hours, which is +3 from me. I’m hoping that being done with work at 2-3pm local time will result in me being able to spend more time in the mountains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

The solar winds hack is going to make my job hell for the foreseeable future. Post nature pics, we're gonna need em

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/timolindman/status/1329616016951947264

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not exactly wandering off into the woods but over them probably counts? it feels like it does.

can't beat the level of social distancing either

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
that's a flight simulator render, you're not fooling me

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush get back in the airplane

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

okay but only for you

the plastic was already broken

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
i tried to take a science of flight class in university and all the imperial unit math broke me lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wont lie bro that looks amazing and im totally envious

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

getting a pilot's license costs somewhere between a good used car and a cheap new car, depending on where you live. i decided that i would much rather have a pilot's license than a 2018 corolla. you should do it.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
doesn't it also cost used car money to rent a plane, fuel it, etc? it's not like you get the pilot's license and you're done. no, that's just your initiation fee, you are now permitted to spend even more money

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

doesn't it also cost used car money to rent a plane, fuel it, etc? it's not like you get the pilot's license and you're done. no, that's just your initiation fee, you are now permitted to spend even more money

you have to buy avgas, which is tremendously expensive, and every time you want to fly your little puddlejumper it has to be mechanically inspected and certified safe to fly

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

hobbies are expensive, but it's ok because poor people have no time for hobbies due to working all the time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nah you rent planes "wet," meaning including fuel and oil and maintenance and everything. you pay a fixed rate per hour the engine is running (perhaps $120 or so).

it's gonna cost you way more than a commercial flight if you wanna go to the opposite coast, sure, but flying to lake tahoe for the weekend is like 1.5 hours each way so about $360. not really that bad in the grand scheme and almost a bargain split 4 ways

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

not really that bad in the grand scheme and almost a bargain split 4 ways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dffFZom1Mac

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you would have to pay me a lot more than $360 to fly to tahoe in a cessna

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

you would have to pay me a lot more than $360 to fly to tahoe in a cessna

how much for a Beechcraft Bonanza

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

being scared of flying in a small plane is like being scared of eating sushi. live a little, lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the sushi chef can't decide to take me out with himself to get away from alimony payments

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

the sushi chef can't decide to take me out with himself to get away from alimony payments

why not? he's got some pretty sharp knives

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

being scared of flying in a small plane is like being scared of eating sushi. live a little, lol

I've been on several small plane flights which is why I don't like them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hmm. i admit it might be freakier if you aren't at the controls and aware of what's going on. i've had a few comments that landing in a plane, from the perspective of a non-pilot in the front seat, looks like you're heading straight for the ground (which you are, but like...it's fine, you know). i will try to be more empathetic in the future.

anyway this is off topic for this thread. today is the first saturday i've had off since september so i think i am going to leave zoom behind and ride my motorcycle into the woods

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

back from a nice morning of skiing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

getting a pilot's license costs somewhere between a good used car and a cheap new car, depending on where you live. i decided that i would much rather have a pilot's license than a 2018 corolla. you should do it.

appreciate the sentiment but there is no way i'll be able to afford anything like this ever

I was hoping one day to spend 4k on an old toyota mr2 as a midlife crisis thing but looks like by the time i've paid off post-marriage debt combined with how poo poo I am with money it'll be able age 61 when I can consider upgrading my 2001 honda fit let alone spending money making my real life enjoyable

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

echinopsis posted:

appreciate the sentiment but there is no way i'll be able to afford anything like this ever

I was hoping one day to spend 4k on an old toyota mr2 as a midlife crisis thing but looks like by the time i've paid off post-marriage debt combined with how poo poo I am with money it'll be able age 61 when I can consider upgrading my 2001 honda fit let alone spending money making my real life enjoyable

toyota mr2 is my dream midlife crisis car too but regular car reviews made me fear them a little bit because of that snap oversteer

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

never buy a mid engine car

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

toyota mr2 is my dream midlife crisis car too but regular car reviews made me fear them a little bit because of that snap oversteer

we can bask in our unlived dreams together friend

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

anyway this is off topic for this thread. today is the first saturday i've had off since september so i think i am going to leave zoom behind and ride my motorcycle into the woods

saturday is a weekend tho arent you like a college professor or something don’t work on Saturday that is for sleeping in

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Corla Plankun posted:

friend of mine got a 1993 MR2 turbo a while ago take a look:

gotta say it looks like he is living his best life be and we’d all be fools to not have one.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
if I'm getting an mr2 it's gotta be first gen

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just make sure that they always pronounce it "mister two"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Señor Dos

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mustang maché

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Chris Knight posted:

the square ones are good but finding one worth owning is v hard these days

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

I want to hike the mountains again, instead of being stucked in work for christmas and new years eve

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

yes

and supercharged maybe?

idk why but I love superchargers even tho turbos make so much more sense

or

why not both?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

friend of mine got a 1993 MR2 turbo a while ago take a look:

gotta say it looks like he is living his best life be and we’d all be fools to not have one.

hell yeah

although im mad they didn't include those sick side scoops in the pic

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah what if my sushi chef already set fire to his ex wifes house that morning and he plans to crash us into the IRS building

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
used to work with a guy who one day, completely out of nowhere, told me the IRS guy that died in that plane crash had it coming because he was an "agent of tyranny". also really hated abe lincoln and sincerely believed drunk driving should be legal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

should be illegal to drive if you've ever had a drink imo. you have to pick one