Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jeremor posted:

Really tempted to grab this on 50% off... is it a really good chill out game, even when you don't have like hours at a time to devote to it? That's my main concern right now. I might only have like 30 mins or an hour a night to really dive into it.

It's chill but some of the cutscenes are really long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am tempted to double dip on the PC version even though I need to go back to PS4 and finish the platinum.....ugh

I don't want to do the hard deliveries

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Romes128 posted:

It's chill but some of the cutscenes are really long.

Yeah it's the perfect time to chill and watch a rad cutscene :mad:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
PC only... :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

edgar_ posted:

They also added new gameplay features through giving Sam the ability to hack. Seems pretty cool, might be time for a replay :getin:

lmao what

night slime
May 14, 2014
The short-circuit odradek looks OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=009JGdpWmg8 Wonder if it has a cooldown, otherwise you're basically God lol.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ah okay apparently there’s a Kojima cameo in Cyberpunk 2077 so it’s not as far out of left field as it initially seemed.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Midjack posted:

Ah okay apparently there’s a Kojima cameo in Cyberpunk 2077 so it’s not as far out of left field as it initially seemed.

There's a BB hidden in it too!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

wish they'd made it a FLC so i could opt out of the 34 gig download for some features i don't really care about

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I don't own DS. How is its multiplayer content on PC (specifically PC not consoles)? Still going strong? Like, I understand that stuff other people build appears in your world, but, it also decays. So if most people quit playing the game is the world barren and not as fun as it was at release because other people's stuff doesn't show up often?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I got the game in the last 50% sale a couple of weeks ago and I still see loads of other players' stuff

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The items aren't perfectly synchronous, you could be getting a new object from 6 months ago and never know. There's some kind of fudging and manipulation going on but it's hard to track. It just works and works well and feels good.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

There's some kind of fudging and manipulation going on but it's hard to track.

Ah, I did wonder if there was some shenanigans going on. Are likes fudged too? I built a bridge between the highway and the Engineer which has ~11k likes so I figured there must be a lot of people still playing but I also see really pointless bridges with stupid numbers of likes all the time so I'm starting to wonder.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Jeremor posted:

Really tempted to grab this on 50% off... is it a really good chill out game, even when you don't have like hours at a time to devote to it? That's my main concern right now. I might only have like 30 mins or an hour a night to really dive into it.

In between the story parts yes, but once you start advancing the story the cutscenes can be very long.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Ah, I did wonder if there was some shenanigans going on. Are likes fudged too? I built a bridge between the highway and the Engineer which has ~11k likes so I figured there must be a lot of people still playing but I also see really pointless bridges with stupid numbers of likes all the time so I'm starting to wonder.

IIRC bridges get some auto-likes when you cross over them so they get boosted up way easier than other things.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

IIRC bridges get some auto-likes when you cross over them so they get boosted up way easier than other things.

It's just one auto like and I have a hard time believing some of the bridges I've seen have been crossed tens or hundreds of thousands of times

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

It's just one auto like and I have a hard time believing some of the bridges I've seen have been crossed tens or hundreds of thousands of times

Some of them are likely in places where you get dragged across them on the way to a BT boss fight if you get pulled into the tar but yeah, I encountered a bunch of nonsensical ones on my play through as well.

night slime
May 14, 2014
You can mash like and give like ~700 likes

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

yeah but who's mashing 700 likes on a bridge over two rocks in the middle of a flat field nowhere near any boss fights

also out of the ~400k total likes i've received only ~8k have been manually awarded so it doesn't look like many people do this even on actually useful structures

night slime
May 14, 2014

Wafflecopper posted:

yeah but who's mashing 700 likes on a bridge over two rocks in the middle of a flat field nowhere near any boss fights

Me literally all the time. im insane

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I would usually blast as many likes as I could at a structure I used.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I usually avoid giving likes for useful structures while giving as many likes as I can to ones that have no business being there. The reasoning was I always imagined the useful structure players seeing their stuff getting squat while a bridge going across a stream with no obstacles getting a lot of more likes than theirs and flipping out. I am glad I am getting confirmation all that wasn't for naught.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Rebinding my right trigger to 'like' so I can just hold it down while stumbling sideways off a bridge to give props

I still remember when I was a lad getting really stoned listening to radiohead and trying to design an RPG system where the only currency or levelling system was 'props' and tbh I'm glad Kojima managed to pull it off

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

night slime posted:

Me literally all the time. im insane

Hello, fellow nut-job.

After coming back now, from the first month the game was out, I've noticed a lot of things in impossible places. You got that truck up there?! Shine on you, crazy diamond.

"Hey Sam, it's Deadman. Did you know diamonds are the result of coa-"
"SHUT THE gently caress UP! I'm liking someone's beautiful disaster."

What is your method for giving the most likes?
I hold the controller with my thumbnail over the touch pad and bounce it between the thumb and fingers. IIRC, I can get up to the high 600's.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I don't own the game (yet), but my understanding is that this game relies on "likes" from other players for you to gain power/wealth and generally make progress. And that you can "like" other players' stuff, too, if you run into their stuff.

On PC, is the player population small enough now that it harms the "likes" system? Or is there some "auto-like" or "auto-item" system so it wouldn't matter if only a handful of actual humans are still playing on PC?

I ask because I think of games like Dark Souls and how it was impossible to matchmake in many areas a long time after the game launched.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I haven't really encountered any actual value in the likes apart from nice brain chemicals being released. I might be wrong. I'm also pretty sure it doesn't have to have any players actually playing at that moment to do what it does with their structures iirc

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I haven't really encountered any actual value in the likes apart from nice brain chemicals being released. I might be wrong. I'm also pretty sure it doesn't have to have any players actually playing at that moment to do what it does with their structures iirc

Not sure I understand. Aren’t you supposed to see / use structures other players build? If there are no other players how will you see stuff supposedly made by other players?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pmchem posted:

Not sure I understand. Aren’t you supposed to see / use structures other players build? If there are no other players how will you see stuff supposedly made by other players?

It would be straightforward to use the data collected in the first few months of the game to simulate it for new players in perpetuity.

KojiPro appears to keep a database of everything that’s ever been placed and pulls from that to populate a player’s world, so you can get structures from people who built them a year ago and haven’t played the game since. Likes can also be faked, earlier this year I got about 3/4 of my likes from individual players and the rest from “Bridges.” Similarly the dropped boxes and stuff in mailboxes could be simulated with a random player’s name attached to a randomly generated delivery.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I don't actually know how it works but I was under the impression you share structures with a certain number of players. They don't have to be active in the game at all. The game pulls their structures where appropriate regardless of if they are online right that second. I haven't seen another players structure come down unless I remove it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The fifty or so "piss here ' signs placed around my 'no pissing' sign outside capital knot is enough proof to me that it still works

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i feel like turing just shifted in his grave a little

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

pmchem posted:

I don't own the game (yet), but my understanding is that this game relies on "likes" from other players for you to gain power/wealth and generally make progress. And that you can "like" other players' stuff, too, if you run into their stuff.

On PC, is the player population small enough now that it harms the "likes" system? Or is there some "auto-like" or "auto-item" system so it wouldn't matter if only a handful of actual humans are still playing on PC?

I ask because I think of games like Dark Souls and how it was impossible to matchmake in many areas a long time after the game launched.

Nothing in the first paragraph is true. Likes have nothing to do with progression or gatekeep you from anything.

You can think of other players structures as quality of life features. You come to a mountain you need to get to the top of and a cliff is the quickest way unless you want to walk to the other side of the mountain. poo poo, you forgot a ladder so you either have to hoof it back to a storage to get one or walk forever to the other side. Wait a minute! Someone already traversed the cliff and left their ladder for someone else to use. Here’s a hundred likes, awesome person.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

pmchem posted:

Structures aren't fully shared in realtime between players. Like anytime a structure first gets loaded into your world it will have 100% durability, regardless of how decayed it is in the creator's world, and then the durability will only decay in your world while you have the game actually running. This is why you'll find fully functional vehicles ditched in the middle of the wasteland, it was probably near destroyed when the original person left it there.
Basically when you build a structure the servers make a record that X Structure was built in Y location by Z player, and then chooses other players to connect it to and produces a duplicate of it. Upgrading/Customizing/Liking will send an update to the server for those details of it, but destruction and active p2p connection don't matter for the sake of making sure everyone's world gets populated.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

If I understand correctly, likes do have some influence on your progression - they boost your bridge links stat which in turn makes more of other players’ stuff show up in your game. I found this to be the fastest stat to level up so it’s not an issue at all

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There's also a section buried in the menus to "link" yourself with other players which makes their structures more likely to appear in your world. The limit of how many players you can link with increases over time. I went with the people with the most likes since I figured they were more likely to put stuff in places that were actually useful, but I never checked who put what structure where.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bridge Contracts never seemed to make much of a difference for me but I wasn’t paying a bunch of attention to who made stuff. No names jumped out at me as frequent repeats.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Anyone have any ideas why the game won't let me change difficulty? I played through the game on normal and want to bump it up to hard for the achievement to do a bunch of contracts on hard, but it's greyed out in the menu. I have no active contracts and am just chilling out in a Distro Centre.

e: never mind, changing my google search terms found me the answer. have to go into settings through the cufflink menu instead of using the escape key for some stupid reason

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 21, 2020

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

The fifty or so "piss here ' signs placed around my 'no pissing' sign outside capital knot is enough proof to me that it still works

lmao

night slime
May 14, 2014

pmchem posted:

I don't think a real problem could happen until there's like 15 players remaining, and I imagine it's got something in the code to account for that, since it's basically a passive system, rather than requiring active connections like a shooting game. After all the players go away, the Patriots AI will give out the likes, causing a deceptive dopamine rush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Just finished the junk collector BT fetch mission and have a question. I assume that you could 100% stealth through that area and not kill the boss guy but is there any reason to? I missed a grenade throw while sneaking through and said gently caress it but if you need to be stealthy to 100% the game I'll go back and do it.