Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a Milwaukee one like that I carry aid for opening boxes and bags of flour/sugar at work.

I switched to using the serreted blades I used to go through about a blade a week before they got dull. Now I can go a month or more before having to switch it out.

I had a husky branded one before that that lasted about 8 years before it got so sloppy it wouldn't lock open.

E:Cat pic for new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wrar posted:

Knife chat: I used to carry a pocket knife but 90% if the time I'm cutting tape or packaging. So I carry one of these instead of beating up a nice thing: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-11-Blade-Folding-Utility-Knife/50109012

I used to use that exact cutter.

I use these now. Work always has boxes full of them (though if you go through more than a few a year they look at you a little funny), and they supply new blades for free. (the part about the metal guard never bending is a loving lie, I have to bend mine back at least once a week.. generally change the blade twice a week, not counting flipping it).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a bunch of Ryobi branded knives my dad and wife picked up for me. They do the job.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I have never ever had the need to "daily carry" a knife or whatever

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fridge corn posted:

I never felt the need to either, until I started. They're remarkably handy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fridge corn posted:

I work in a place where I need to cut things all the time. They only supply us with snap off utility knives so I carry my own. I also keep one in the truck.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Well yeah, I've got one of those foldable knives that use replaceable razor blades for at work and a retractable box cutter thing at home somewhere but i dont like take it with me wherever I go, that would be weird

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

STR posted:

You have Publix out there, right? Looks like they carry a good selection of Nespresso pods to get you by for now. There's always reusable pods too, though you have to know if you have the original or Vertuo line.

My store only carries two shelves of Nespresso pods. :sad: K-Cups for days of everything you can think of, but K-Cups aren't easily recyclable.. and I'm told the Nespresso machines make a better cup of coffee anyway.

Yeah Publix has the "aftermarket" pods, but I've never had a problem getting Nespresso pods until now. Next time I'll get some as a back up.

Also you can't really compare K cups (regular coffee) to Nespresso (espresso), if you want espresso regular coffee just doesn't cut it but I drink all kinds of coffee. Cold brew is awesome as well.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Well yeah, I've got one of those foldable knives that use replaceable razor blades for at work and a retractable box cutter thing at home somewhere but i dont like take it with me wherever I go, that would be weird

Mine sits next to my wallet and other stuff so it gets scooped up and chucked in my pockets when I get dressed. Otherwise I'm liable to lose it or forget it and then be stuck opening boxes at work with a mini screwdriver. :v:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Tonight I started trying to strip down some K-jet Saab parts in order to bypass them on my car (I am going to 3d print an adaptor so I can remove the metering plate and fuel distributor and keep the stock air box and plumbing).

Got thwarted by all the screws being rusted and gave up and sat and watched some youtube.

Saw the last couple of Ratarossa videos and realised that his V12 ferarri project car has K-jet, but because of the large engine it has a duel K-jet setup with a system for each bank. That fucker is never going to run properly again :lol:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Tomarse posted:

Tonight I started trying to strip down some K-jet Saab parts in order to bypass them on my car (I am going to 3d print an adaptor so I can remove the metering plate and fuel distributor and keep the stock air box and plumbing).

Got thwarted by all the screws being rusted and gave up and sat and watched some youtube.

Saw the last couple of Ratarossa videos and realised that his V12 ferarri project car has K-jet, but because of the large engine it has a duel K-jet setup with a system for each bank. That fucker is never going to run properly again :lol:

They dont run very well even when set up properly!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

rdb posted:

No. Fully loaded the truck and trailer are about 23,000lbs. If you go over 26k you need a cdl.

Shiat. Here you can only do 3500kg on a normal license. There's an intermediate level, though, before CDL, which allows for 7000kg.

fridge corn posted:

I have a box cutter in my comically large coffee-cup-of-pens at work, and a Stanley style knife in my handy pants for around the house. I'd go insane without them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Testarossas run that? Ugh geez....Is that why the 512 is better?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah the 512 TR is efi and it's like a completely different car

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Yeah the 512 TR is efi and it's like a completely different car

Cool, I know which one to get now if I win the lottery :v:

I remember you telling me about the 512 and I had no idea it existed, god I love those cars :swoon:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

80s cars only seemed good because the late 70s were so bad.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

bolind posted:

Shiat. Here you can only do 3500kg on a normal license. There's an intermediate level, though, before CDL, which allows for 7000kg.

Ukraine is like that too. My truck was too heavy unladen to drive on the standard license there. Nevermind the import duties of nearly 100k.

Some states in west require an endorsement for towing more than 5 tons(4500kg).

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

fridge corn posted:

Based on my 4 cyl k-jet Saab experiences that is no surprise. I think he said that the one has has there has sat for 15 years? :lol:

Do they have dual warm up regulators too? or does the k-jet control pressure system link both the fuel distributors together into a single circuit?

While I am Dremeling/Drilling out all the fittings in the saab air box/fuel distributor tomorrow just so I can remove the last traces of the K-jet from my vehicle, the knowledge that I am not the man dealing with that 35 year old ferrari will improve my mood substantially.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm not an expert on ferraris but it is a 35 y/o 512 that he has just bought on the ratarossa channel and it is K-jet...

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 19, 2020

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Did the quick Covid test this morning, Negative. Thank goodness. Now I can get packages mailed without worrying about infecting anyone.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My wife's scheduled to get vaccinated on Tuesday! I'm super excited for her.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

The only time I've ever had an issue was going into a US Air Force museum. They had a 2.5" limit for carried blades, and mine was 3", so I had to drop it off back in the car. :shrug:
Yeah, the problem here is that while you're not forbidden from carrying a normal knife, it's down to a very subjective "having a good reason to carry it".

So it's not really worth the potential hassle.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I carry a Leatherman Rebar, use it several times a day every day.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I generally carry either a Leatherman Wave or a CRKT Squid depending on what I'm doing. The former seems to be seen as a tool instead of a knife and the latter has such a small blade no one cares about it. If I'm out hiking established trails I carry a CRKT M4-02W.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

LobsterboyX posted:

what is this? im sure its total legal :v:

Microtech UTX-70. 2.4” blade.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I've never been a knife guy but I'd needed a box knife enough earlier this year that I bought that little Gerber EAB lite knife that holds a standard box knife blade and folds up to about the size of the blade. Then I moved. I used that thing non stop, now I carry it everywhere. I'll probably lose it due to forgetting it's in my pocket the next time I fly.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The season finale of The Mandalorian blew my mind. Just put Favreau in charge of starting all nerd franchises.

Agreed. Just thoroughly enjoyable and well done. There's also an after credits scene, did you catch that?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Knife chat: I don’t like bulk in my pockets, so whatever I carry has to be slim. Since I work in technology (desktop support, including hands on) I found a few small multi tools with pliers I can use and don’t bug me in my pocket. Currently, that’s the Gerber Dime, or a Gerber Vise, that replaced my Gerber Clutch that the pliers broke on. I was using a Leatherman Squirt P24 and Ps4 but they’re a little too small, and I liked the tool arrangement on the Gerbers better. The Dime I actually bought used from eBay, after breaking my Clutch, but before I sent it in for warranty on the Clutch, and managed to snap the file on it (being a caveman and using it for prying...) but Gerbers are lifetime warranty, period. The Dime even has a handy hooked blade designed for opening boxes. Somehow I have two Dimes, now. I think I bought the second after discovering the all-black version, and had to have it.
For an actual knife, I sometimes carry a little 2” SOG. The SOG and the Dime together fit in the coin pocket of most jeans.
I do have bigger low-mid tier clip knives I can carry if I actually expect to be doing something where I will need one. I have two fo those folding box knives out in the tool box, as well. Hell, I still have my original Boy Scout knife from the late ‘70s, and several varieties of Swiss Army knife, but they mostly stay in the bedside drawer. I ended up with an Ozark Trail (cheap Walmart brand from China) 3-1/2” lockback folder somehow, and I’ll be danged if it isn’t a decent sturdy knife.

Rings: my wife and I replaced our original gold rings with tungsten carbide, this time with carbon fiber inlays, for cheap from Amazon. I take no off pretty often to work in the garage (I have no desire to experience degloving...) and forget to put it back on for days, so I just ordered a 6 pack of silicone rings from Ali Express for $4 to daily.

I thought I wanted to do stuff today, but so far that means Internet and video games.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

meatpimp posted:

I never felt the need to either, until I started. They're remarkably handy.

Flashlight, folding knife and some kind of basic multitool on my keyring is what I have on me anytime I leave the house. The flashlight in particular is ridiculously useful, even if all of us have one built into our phones now.

Flashlight specifics don't matter, as long as it's reasonably bright and runs on a AAA battery. I want to be able to buy a new battery anywhere and just pop it in.

For knives, I prefer old-fashioned "grandpa knives", the Victorinox Excelsior is probably my all-time favorite. They're less dangerous looking, since we have laws that basically say that the cops have a subjective call whether you have a reasonable purpose to be carrying a knife. It stays at home if I'm going to a concert or similar event.

For multitools, I just want something that can act as a mini pry bar, open beer bottles easily and turn a screw in a pinch. A Gerber Shard is cheap, does the job and isn't huge on a keyring.

Also, I'm 35 now and celebrating with my girlfriend, some Wray & Nephew white overproof rum and Queen's Gambit :toot:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 20, 2020

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Leathermans warranty is legit too- I managed to severely munt up the Charge Ti through pure abuse (broke the pliers, snapped a knife blade, snapped the file in half, twisted a handle, broke the mini screwdriver off flush and jammed it in its holder) and they replaced the entire AU$380 knife without even questioning it. I just sent mine off, said that it wasn’t sentimental, and a week later a brand new in box knife turned up at my house!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Mandalorian was great. One thing I’d like to shout out is the score, the main theme is great and so are the character themes too, particularly Moff Gideon and the Dark Troopers.

Had to look up what our max towing laws are, 6000kgs max total mass between towing vehicle, trailer and load on a class 1 car licence. Then class 2 up to 12,000kg, class 3 12-25,000kg, class 4 18,000+ and class 5 25,000kg+. The last 3 are basically large truck/semi classes so various nuances between them. Class 1 also includes various tractor/agricultural implements up to about 18k kg but limited speed on road.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

fridge corn posted:

I did when I was a theater audio tech - always carried a fine-point sharpie (that I had to import from the US), spike tape, flashlight and a Leatherman Charge Ti. Mostly used the serrated knife and sometimes pliers but the real MVP was the tiny screwdriver which was perfect for adjusting the input levels on wireless microphones

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey sometimes you just want to fantasize about stabbing someone in the neck and having a knife in your pocket makes that fantasy a little more real.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Ferremit posted:

Leathermans warranty is legit too- I managed to severely munt up the Charge Ti through pure abuse (broke the pliers, snapped a knife blade, snapped the file in half, twisted a handle, broke the mini screwdriver off flush and jammed it in its holder) and they replaced the entire AU$380 knife without even questioning it. I just sent mine off, said that it wasn’t sentimental, and a week later a brand new in box knife turned up at my house!

Sadly they aren't able to repair my discontinued Sideclip, they've offered to replace it, but it was my grandad's and I didn't want to trade it in.

I have a tendency to lose Rebars, I've bought three, currently have my first one which I lost two years ago and found again after purchasing and losing two more. Not sure where the other two are, but either they'll turn up one day or not I guess. vOv

Best multitool I've ever owned, as a sat tv installer it replaces a large part of the toolkit.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

Hey sometimes you just want to fantasize about stabbing someone in the neck and having a knife in your pocket makes that fantasy a little more real.

this kind of attitude is why the rest of us have to keep justifying why we carry knives as tools

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raluek posted:

this kind of attitude is why the rest of us have to keep justifying why we carry knives as tools

You can murder someone with a screwdriver or a hammer if your heart is in it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

You can murder someone with a screwdriver or a hammer if your heart is in it.

sure. and i fantasize about doing none of that

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

Seriously Rhyno, what the gently caress?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh like you haven't seen anything maskers crying about their rights

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, sometimes you just get the call of the void and it feels like you should swerve into oncoming traffic...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

This really wasnt a great thing to post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

:siren::siren::siren: One day left to get your entries into the Sheep Game, everyone! We currently stand at 49 entries so far, I'd love to see at least thirteen more by day's end. Let's have a strong finish and make this the best Sheep Game ever!

Click here to play today!