Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
All the space jam 2 stuff coming out confirms that the Looney Tunes will be 2d hand drawn rather than cg, which is cool

This video sums up everything known about the plot and presumably all the official character designs for the movie: https://youtu.be/Pe8fZbjgKUU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah it's weird, there are 2d cleanup animators working on the film so there's definitely 2d involved, but ILM also has a full crew of CG character animators working on it. I dunno what they're doing, maybe some characters are CG or they're dealing with all the digi-double work that will happen due to live action people interacting with cartoons.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They're animating the basketballs in 3D come on guys use your noggins

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ccs posted:

Yeah it's weird, there are 2d cleanup animators working on the film so there's definitely 2d involved
Cel-shaded 3D characters to handle lighting and enviro dynamics, with 2D artists doing clean up and touch up like on Spiderverse?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The Gym in the original was a 3D set!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

whose and which limb will they stretch in 3d this time

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

My pitch for a Space Jam 2 that unfortunately can never happen due to licensing issues would be 'Looney Tunes Vs Muppets'. Both groups are depicted as washed up and irrelevant, playing for a prize that amounts to the opportunity to revive their dying franchises (offered by aliens so the 'space' part makes sense). Both teams get their own sports star. The idea is that both have movies where they interact with real people and both have genuinely declined in relevancy with modern children.

It might also work if they played a multi-sport competition best of three. Keep basketball, maybe add soccer since it is the most popular sport globally, and some third sport that is as different as possible from the other two. Ideally a team sport to include as many characters as possible but doubles tennis might be good to hone in on a few characters. Bugs and Lola vs Kermit and Miss Piggy. Or maybe the looney tunes mixed doubles team could be Daffy Duck and cross dressing Bugs for greater comedy value.

Also allows for more sports stars. Two for each sport. Not much time spent with them but that works for people who can't act. Just say that they are involved because they have happy childhood memories of whatever team they are on.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It would end up as Buzz Bunny vs. Walter in a skateboarding competition.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

You obviously can't have one team beat the other as it would upset fans. Instead you have each team win one of the first two games, which you would have to do anyway for the final act to have any stakes. But by the third they have bonded (show some fun inter-franchise pairings): both realise separately that it is wrong to be so hungry for fame that they are willing to destroy the other's chance so decide to draw the final game. Tension remains as either could betray the other and go for the last minute win (including individual more devious or greedy characters betraying the deal the rest of their team supports). Maybe keep the rest of the game exciting by making it about each team trying to convince their potential betrayers not to at the same time as they are feigning that they are still competing (with some putting on a good performance and others being very obvious).

Both are denied the prize, but find renewed relevance with a new generation of children who watched their competition, getting meta with it as the movie achieves the same goal.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
who smooches

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Pick posted:

who smooches

Gonzo and foghorn leghorn.

-edit: Granny is seen on a date with both Statler and Waldorf, who continually flip between being flattered and blushing and heckling her romantic/flirting style, but she cannot hear this due to forgetting her "hearing aids" (revealed to be an ear horn). Towards the end of the movie Statler and Waldorf admit that their years of heckling has been motivated by being unable to face the vulnerability of admitting their true feelings and in a quick cut all three are seen departing in a vintage era car with 'just married' sign and decorations on the back.

Moon Atari fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 17, 2020

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This honestly sounds like a pretty solid premise. You can make trite jokes about fanfiction all you want but it's a much more interesting idea than what you see in a lot of big name stuff.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Fanfic rules. Also with how focused grouped stuff is, probably one of the most likely places you're going into something that surprises you, narratively. Spiderverse was very much a fanfic kind of premise imho

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

The Saddest Rhino posted:

whose and which limb will they stretch in 3d this time

In the final scene, after the credits, Michael Jordan appears dramatically. LeBron holds a basketball and asks Jordan to sign it.

Jordan stretches his arm across the court excruciatingly slowly, takes the ball, signs it, then stretches his arm slowly across the court again. He looks directly into the camera at the audience the whole time. The scene is played out in complete silence in an unbroken long take and goes on for ten minutes.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

paradoxGentleman posted:

This honestly sounds like a pretty solid premise. You can make trite jokes about fanfiction all you want but it's a much more interesting idea than what you see in a lot of big name stuff.

Yeah. Is it fanficcy? It is. But its also a really cool idea, and I can already envision the kind of bits it'd have.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Animal and Penelope Cat

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Moon Atari posted:

My pitch for a Space Jam 2
Who Fouled Roger Rabbit?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I forgot to mention the most important part is that I am there and both the muppet and loony tune teams think I'm cool and Lola and Miss Piggy fight for my affection, but out of respect for their partners I refuse their advances in favour of whatever female sports star is featured.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Moon Atari posted:

I forgot to mention the most important part is that I am there and both the muppet and loony tune teams think I'm cool and Lola and Miss Piggy fight for my affection, but out of respect for their partners I refuse their advances in favour of whatever female sports star is featured.

Bill Murray?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That said, if Lola comes back for this I kind of hope she's more Looney Tunes Show Lola and less Space Jam Lola (or perhaps some kind of fusion of the two).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Larryb posted:

That said, if Lola comes back for this I kind of hope she's more Looney Tunes Show Lola and less Space Jam Lola (or perhaps some kind of fusion of the two).

Lola's definitely coming back for this one. Maybe also bring back Daffy's love interest who knows he's a wreck but loves him anyway.

Also, for some reason I immediately picture a conversation between Daffy and Kermit ending with Daffy crying on his shoulder while Kermit gives an understanding nod.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Space Jam 2, here’s a promo of sorts:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DBGKJV6E_QQ

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Space Jam 2, here’s a promo of sorts:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DBGKJV6E_QQ

https://twitter.com/Gargamelsh/status/1338602682336997376

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
i'm nothing but a hot drat FOOL

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Here's a better animated movie idea: A talking chicken sandwich from a world of such sandwiches crosses over into what he calls the "real world," emerging from a manhole in times square in new york city, and is horrified to see the people of earth eating chicken sandwiches and tenders and the like. However, he has never seen and does not understand what a chicken is, and becomes angered still upon being taken to a farm until he can no longer understand his old reality. He is taken BACK to his old reality, where he claims they come from creatures called "chickens," and is taken to an insane asylum and beaten and tortured until he is returned to reason. Then, walking across the same bridge he travels every night, he finds a robed human being, the same man who had taken him in the first place. The man reveals himself the be the Caliph, says the whole this was all a game, and grants the chicken sandwich a place in his court.

Million Dollars, day one!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

r u ready to WALK posted:

https://i.imgur.com/coTI1yN.mp4

Wolfwalkers is an incredibly beautiful movie, and a great champion for hand drawn animation.
The ending feels bitter sweet though, since humans did eventually colonise and hunted the wolf to exctinction on the british isles.

I saw James Baxter under "Additional Animation" in the credits and I bet I can name the one stunt effects sequence they brought him in for

That guy is some kind of sorcerer I swear

e: as to the ending — I'm sure it's no accident the movie's saying the same thing about pagan Irish culture in the face of English protestantism or anything

This studio is absolutely kicking everybody's faces in

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Early reviews of Soul are coming out, WaPo gave it 2.5/5 stars.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Seems best animated movie at the Oscars will be between Soul and Wolfwalkers (which won best animated feature at the NYFCC). Normally I’d assume Pixar takes it, but I think Wolfwalkers has a real shot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If this is the case for Soul, then yeah. Which is kind of a shame because Wolfwalkers is... fine, but it suffers from the same thing their movies always do. Kind of thin plots and animation sequences that are too reminiscent of sequences from other films.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pick posted:

Early reviews of Soul are coming out, WaPo gave it 2.5/5 stars.

WaPo uses a 4 star scale

Reviews have been out for over a week month and it’s sitting on 99% on RT

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like, the trouble with Wolfwalkers is that despite having a paperthin plot, it's also held up only by the fact that people who have plenty of time to talk to each other choose not to, even when they have sometimes multiple opportunities, quietly crying and saying the other person doesn't understand when in a single sentence they could actually tell them the thing that they wanted to get across. A simple plot is fine, but if it's a simple plot, it needs to be worked out far more solidly in its basic steps or it becomes far too conspicuous that 10 minutes of stuff is happening built out by an hour of not telling other people what's happening.

Not to mention, oh, hello, yesterday I almost went into a room that I'm not supposed to with no real consequences. Today, right now, I'm in the middle of a ton of danger. If I decided to wait for like an hour I can get back in that room again like I needed to, in the easy and safe way, but instead I'm gonna do it in a far more dangerous way where it doesn't really make sense why am approaching in this manner. Then I'm not going to tell the person what I learned, where they too could also, as we later see, enter the room similarly to accomplish the same thing, simultaneously not putting me at any personal risk whatsoever.

Ultimately, characters acting stupid is fine if it's to a particular ends, but the story is not complicated enough to justify why people are making it more difficult for themselves outside of sheer runtime.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like I'm pretty sure that half of the lines in the film are, "[character name]! Nooo!"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm very interested in Soul, less so for the parts where he is a soul, but for the parts where he's alive because those look REALLY good. I know the movie is directed by Pete Doctor, a white guy, but I watched a little behind the scenes thing and there's a black co-director, the composer is black (the parts of the movie that take place in the real world anyway), and it looks like general they didn't just have the white director tell a story about a black character with zero black consulting. It looks like they made an effort to try and represent the community they are trying to portray

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I first saw Worthikids' Pepe Silvia scene animation some years ago, but I just realised they have an entire channel recently. I can't believe they did all this in Blender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4EuDkPD5x8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJBCuRsrqUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyCagepF_T4

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 20, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pick posted:

Like I'm pretty sure that half of the lines in the film are, "[character name]! Nooo!"

Or “you have to help me! You promised!”

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

Or “you have to help me! You promised!”

that's the other half.

Anyway! Let's enjoy a genuine feel-good animation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=citTQLOWiVo

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

The MSJ posted:

I first saw Worthikids' Pepe Silvia scene animation some years ago, but I just realised they have an entire channel recently. I can't believe they did all this in Blender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4EuDkPD5x8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJBCuRsrqUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyCagepF_T4
He’s a goddamn wizard, get on his Patreon right tf now

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/MercuryFalcon/status/1340801045715365888?s=19

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Misdirection and sleight of hand are the best kind of magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i watched wolfwalkers over the weekend and quite liked it! it's no breadwinner, sure, but tomm moore's movies continue to improve in both animation and writing

I'm not really bothered by the poor communication in the movie because that's like, one of the main themes? nobody listens to anybody, not just robyn, and in her distress she tries to start emulating someone who she does see as powerful, her pop, only to realize that's causing even more problems. i also felt some genuine tension toward the climax because even though obviously nothing was going to happen to the kids, i was not nearly so confident about the mortality of the parents. my biggest quibble with the movie was just that cartoon saloon's requisite musical scenes are a lot better when the song isn't in english. and also that apple tv+ kinda sucks but that's not the movie's fault