Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Weren't there also plastic cases with plastic tab locks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Vagabundo posted:

+20 chaos, multiple discs in opaque bags so you have no idea what disc you've got.

You mean the Chinatown Special?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I don't mind snappers too much. I am very nice to my collection so I've never had one get damaged. I own (walks to other room to count them...) 47 of them in my collection.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The biggest relic of the early DVD era was the Goodfellas DVD which you had to flip over half way through the movie that came in a snapper case. Every time I watch the movie and it gets to the scene where Karen has the gun in Henry's face I think "Time to flip the disc.".

Nihonniboku posted:

Weren't there also plastic cases with plastic tab locks?

Yes and I loving hated them. I always ripped those tabs right the gently caress off. Some blu-ray cases have a tab thing but you can actually fold it inside and never have to deal with it again.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 20, 2020

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CPL593H posted:

The biggest relic of the early DVD era was the Goodfellas DVD which you had to flip over half way through the movie that came in a snapper case. Every time I watch the movie and it gets to the scene where Karen has the gun in Henry's face I think "Time to flip the disc.".

"Flippers" were fairly common before dual layered discs became the norm.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I sorta liked the flippers in the days when they still had wide screen and full frame. Both on the same disc so you didn't have your mom deciding that because you still had an old TV, that you'd rather have full frame.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Iron Crowned posted:

I sorta liked the flippers in the days when they still had wide screen and full frame. Both on the same disc so you didn't have your mom deciding that because you still had an old TV, that you'd rather have full frame.

Except they were inconsistent with how they were labeled. Sometimes the side that said wide screen needed to face up to play wide screen. But sometimes it needed to face down to play wide screen, and you never knew on a new DVD until you started to play the movie for the first time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

"Flippers" were fairly common before dual layered discs became the norm.

Were they, apart from the full-screen/wide-screen versions? Goodfellas is the only one I'm familiar with where it worked like a laserdisc.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Were they, apart from the full-screen/wide-screen versions? Goodfellas is the only one I'm familiar with where it worked like a laserdisc.

The first versions of Seven, Ben-Hur, and Amadeus were like that for sure too.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Maybe "common" is a slight exaggeration, but they were definitely out there in the earliest days of the format. I had a few unfortunate encounters with them. Se7en was one I owned.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ben-Hur and Amadeus at least make sense because of just how long those films are.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Stargate was a flipper. It was one of the DVDs that you received from submitting a form w proof of purchase whenever we got our first DVD players. 99, I think cause I’m pretty sure I got DK64 that same Christmas.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I got curious about what were the first movies to be released on DVD, and at least in the United States this seems to be the titles in March 1997.

A Time to Kill
Blade Runner
Eraser
Goodfellas
Interview with the Vampire
The Road Warrior
Se7en
The Birdcage
The Bridges of Madison County
The Fugitive
The Mask
The Wizard of Oz
Twister
Unforgiven
Woodstock

Good selection. Lots of variety.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

Stargate was a flipper. It was one of the DVDs that you received from submitting a form w proof of purchase whenever we got our first DVD players. 99, I think cause I’m pretty sure I got DK64 that same Christmas.

You got a 4 pack, The Stepmother and Lost in Space '98 were two of the others, can't recall what number 4 was, but I don't think we ever actually watched any of them

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Iron Crowned posted:

You got a 4 pack, The Stepmother and Lost in Space '98 were two of the others, can't recall what number 4 was, but I don't think we ever actually watched any of them

I don't think it was in the 4 pack but Hoosiers was an early pack in with some DVD players/drives.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ditto with ‘Das Boot’.

Liar Lyre posted:

I got curious about what were the first movies to be released on DVD, and at least in the United States this seems to be the titles in March 1997.

A Time to Kill
Blade Runner
Eraser
Goodfellas
Interview with the Vampire
The Road Warrior
Se7en
The Birdcage
The Bridges of Madison County
The Fugitive
The Mask
The Wizard of Oz
Twister
Unforgiven
Woodstock

Good selection. Lots of variety.

I’m pretty sure Twister was the first movie released on DVD.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

LMAO, YES! I was gonna mention Lost in Space 98! And I absolutely know Stepmother was one as well. Just did some googling and I’m pretty our 4th was Lethal Weapon 4.

I’m pretty sure a big part of our early adoption was The Third Man. My dad is a sucker for that film. We actually got to see it at a theater last year. I think I was the youngest person there by a mile.

RE: launch chat, I’m pretty sure Chicken Little was a Blu-Ray launch title.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can’t find a better pic online, but one of the first dvds we ever bought was a copy of Fargo that came in this bizarre tray case thing. The black tab pushed in and slid the tray out and the whole thing was slimmer and taller than a standard dvd case.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Lost in Space was the first DVD my family owned. We got a free copy with the Sony Vaio desktop PC my dad purchased. We all got around the computer screen and watched that as the DVD player in the desktop was our only player.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah but Goodfellas had to be flipped over for you to be able to watch the rest of the movie. Also a lot of early DVD era "widescreen" DVDs were actually just the fullscreen version of the movie slightly cropped. When you watched some movies poo poo would be cut off at the top of the picture. Now it's gone the other way and people are pissbabies about old TV shows being presented in the correct 4:3 ratio. When widescreen TVs came along I thought we'd finally be done with this.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can’t find a better pic online, but one of the first dvds we ever bought was a copy of Fargo that came in this bizarre tray case thing. The black tab pushed in and slid the tray out and the whole thing was slimmer and taller than a standard dvd case.

Several years back I saw a copy of Groundhog Day that was in a jewel case but it was the size they use for CDs. That's the only time I ever saw that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone get the best but rambo steel book set? Thoughts

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is like a weird CED style

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

CPL593H posted:

Also a lot of early DVD era "widescreen" DVDs were actually just the fullscreen version of the movie slightly cropped. When you watched some movies poo poo would be cut off at the top of the picture.

Are you referring to open matte films? Or something else? I don't recall pan&scan copies getting cropped being a thing, but there are definitely a lot of open matte films - though it's usually more appropriate to consider the 4x3 versions as "opened up", sometimes revealing boom mics and other things viewers weren't supposed to see.

roffels fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 21, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

roffels posted:

Are you referring to open matte films? Or something else? I don't recall pan&scan copies getting cropped being a thing, but there are definitely a lot of open matte films - though it's usually more appropriate to consider the 4x3 versions as "opened up", often revealing boom mics and other things viewers weren't supposed to see.

Something else. It's possible that they were open matte transfers that were just poorly cropped to make it widescreen. I definitely had movies where stuff was cut off at the top. I never saw a pan and scan movie like this though. It probably comes down to the OAR too. One of the more noteworthy examples was the old Yellow Submarine DVD because the movie was originally in the 1.66:1 ratio but the "widescreen" DVD was in the 1.85:1 ratio so the top of the picture was cut off and becomes evident in several scenes. MGM eventually faced a lawsuit over this fuckery with the aspect ratios on their DVDs in ye olden days. I'm sure many will recall this on the back of their old releases:

It wasn't always an accurate representation of what you were getting and this movie was hardly the only one with that problem. I'll check later if I have any old MGM DVDs because I remember noticing this years back and checking a bunch of movies because I wondered if this was a wide spread problem. Early DVDs were plagued with all kinds of problems.

I no longer have the YS DVD or I would put up some screen caps. IMDB lists the movie as 1.85:1 but that's incorrect. The blu-ray is in the 1.66:1 ratio which was common in the 60s.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 21, 2020

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CPL593H posted:

Several years back I saw a copy of Groundhog Day that was in a jewel case but it was the size they use for CDs. That's the only time I ever saw that.

I have a Das Boot DVD that came in a bog-standard CD jewel case. From looking it up I think they were both distributed by Columbia so it must have been something they briefly did.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

david_a posted:

I have a Das Boot DVD that came in a bog-standard CD jewel case. From looking it up I think they were both distributed by Columbia so it must have been something they briefly did.
I think the cases were a prestige thing. No one wanted people thinking their films were just, like, CDs or someshit.

Plus the VHS Box Art dimensions probably carried over better.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Wild Bunch was another you had to flip halfway through.

I've got a Special Edition of First Blood that's two disc: Disc 1 is Widescreen, Disc 2 is Full Screen.

Talking about weird early DVDs, I had a copy of The Road Warrior, that when you selected "Scene Select", it would only give you the option of jumping to every third scene. The menu screen was also just a generic Warner Brothers logo.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 21, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was shocked to find that the extended LoTR 4K editions were still on 2 discs. I never owned them on Blu-ray so I just expected them to fit on one disc.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CPL593H posted:

Something else. It's possible that they were open matte transfers that were just poorly cropped to make it widescreen. I definitely had movies where stuff was cut off at the top. I never saw a pan and scan movie like this though. It probably comes down to the OAR too. One of the more noteworthy examples was the old Yellow Submarine DVD because the movie was originally in the 1.66:1 ratio but the "widescreen" DVD was in the 1.85:1 ratio so the top of the picture was cut off and becomes evident in several scenes. MGM eventually faced a lawsuit over this fuckery with the aspect ratios on their DVDs in ye olden days. I'm sure many will recall this on the back of their old releases:

It wasn't always an accurate representation of what you were getting and this movie was hardly the only one with that problem. I'll check later if I have any old MGM DVDs because I remember noticing this years back and checking a bunch of movies because I wondered if this was a wide spread problem. Early DVDs were plagued with all kinds of problems.

I no longer have the YS DVD or I would put up some screen caps. IMDB lists the movie as 1.85:1 but that's incorrect. The blu-ray is in the 1.66:1 ratio which was common in the 60s.

I think more movies should have an option that removes John Lennon from them.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Davros1 posted:

Talking about weird early DVDs, I had a copy of The Road Warrior, that when you selected "Scene Select", it would only give you the option of jumping to every third scene. The menu screen was also just a generic Warner Brothers logo.

I remember a lot of the early budget Warner Bros discs had that generic menu. I think some of the early discs from Republic Pictures like Freeway and Highlander had generic menus too. They had those same brown boxes with WIDESCREEN written vertically and were all "THX Mastered." I'm pretty sure they were just laserdiscs transferred to DVD though, because I remember Highlander having a photo slideshow that would just zip by at a million miles an hour when the frame-by-frame function from a laserdisc seemed like the intended purpose there. Those early days were super weird.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Anyone get the best but rambo steel book set? Thoughts

I think it commits the sin of overpackaging, same as the Batman set. Why not have one or two amazing steel cases instead of what...5? But at least it has both 4K and Blu-Ray. I don’t own it but I love me a Steelbook.

I have to wonder what Best Buy has seen for numbers of those sold. Like, it’s probably 50 cents to produce and we’re jumping over ourselves to throw an extra $5 on top of the other margin.

Ghost in the Shell 4K looked great. And I’m glad I got the Steelbook, that looks great too.

Running through Mad Men and this collection is insane. The discs are difficult as poo poo to get out. Also, the second season, every episode has the DTS-HD roll, so it’s cool to have a random 5 second clip that’s like 5 dB louder than the episode.

Edit: not my cup of tea, but Gattaca 4K announced. A friendly reminder there is no The Abyss Blu-Ray and now there’s a 4K of Gattaca.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 22, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

Reject modernity, embrace tradition

Ugh, that's the fullscreen edition that prompted WB to issue a proper 16x9 widescreen version (and henceforth separate fullscreen and widescreen editions for many films).

Snappers could be kind of neat. The original DVD single for Don Hertzfeldt's Rejected was in a snapper and had all sorts of wacky custom art.

FrumpleOrz posted:

While Amadeus was a flipper due to being such an early release before dual layer, Warner Bros. loved to use DVD-18s and DVD-14s instead of separate discs due to their snapper cases. Also, the Ultimate Edition of Terminator 2 was initially available in a thick chunky case (used by Fox and Disney, as well as criterion) with two DVD-9s while the second printing was a plain amaray case with a DVD-18.

CPL593H posted:

MGM actually got sued over this because the fullscreen versions were usually open matte. Though, it's sort of accurate for Yellow Submarine as they had to zoom in a bit since there's a lot of unfinished cels and background edges visible on the fullscreen laserdisc and VHS.

One thing that's interesting is that while Warner released a lot of open matte DVDs, they never released a fullscreen-only DVD of a scope film. Always was a flipper or widescreen-only. Paramount only released one or two open matte discs (both requested by the filmmaker) while they stuck to widescreen.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boywhiz88 posted:

I think it commits the sin of overpackaging, same as the Batman set. Why not have one or two amazing steel cases instead of what...5? But at least it has both 4K and Blu-Ray. I don’t own it but I love me a Steelbook.

I have to wonder what Best Buy has seen for numbers of those sold. Like, it’s probably 50 cents to produce and we’re jumping over ourselves to throw an extra $5 on top of the other margin.

Ghost in the Shell 4K looked great. And I’m glad I got the Steelbook, that looks great too.

Running through Mad Men and this collection is insane. The discs are difficult as poo poo to get out. Also, the second season, every episode has the DTS-HD roll, so it’s cool to have a random 5 second clip that’s like 5 dB louder than the episode.

Edit: not my cup of tea, but Gattaca 4K announced. A friendly reminder there is no The Abyss Blu-Ray and now there’s a 4K of Gattaca.

Aw that's a shame. I might skip out on it then. I've only seen Rambo 1 so I figured it'd be a good way to watch the rest

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Oh wow. It’s the only collection of those on 4K. I’ve only seen, and own, the first. I would expect if you give it a few months, there’ll probably be a collection for like $60.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I'll probably just wait. I'm confident in saying first blood is top 5 movies all time to me, just never watched any of the sequela

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Gattaca is such a beautifully shot film I am super stoked for this 4k release, steelbook only I think?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It’s probably just a first run thing. I remember when the first couple of Pokémon movies came to Blu they were steelbook only for a while too.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Gattaca is such a beautifully shot film I am super stoked for this 4k release, steelbook only I think?

I’ll admit I haven’t seen it but the one time years back, and I was probably drunk or hungover.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

BTW if your Akira 4K arrived today like mine did, oops, they forgot to put HDR on it. Similar to the Friday the 13th issues, they're letting you get a disc in February with HDR on it for free with no returns. Gotta fill this out - https://www.funimation.com/blog/2020/12/22/akira-4k-hdr-disc-replacement-how-to-limited-edition/?sf134722990=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

BTW if your Akira 4K arrived today like mine did, oops, they forgot to put HDR on it. Similar to the Friday the 13th issues, they're letting you get a disc in February with HDR on it for free with no returns. Gotta fill this out - https://www.funimation.com/blog/2020/12/22/akira-4k-hdr-disc-replacement-how-to-limited-edition/?sf134722990=1

God drat it.