Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

double negative posted:

after all that build up, cgi-face luke picking up happy meal toy grogu made me burst into laughter

CGI Moff Tarkin was the worst part of Rogue One. Disney has so much money and Star Wars has so many fans that they just couldn’t be bothered to get a near lookalike and give them good make-up.

The Leia scenes in The Rise of Skywalker further cements that edit jobs suck rear end and I’d be willing to have a 90% lookalike actor/actress do the part. Screw the nerds. I know we lost Carrie but Abrams cannot edit himself out of a paper bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The CGI poo poo bothered me the most about all that. But yeah, I’m getting weird feelings that they want to make Mando part of THE BIG PICTURE instead of just a space dad trying to do his job.

Disney is doing like 8 other shows. I am okay with more Jedi shows if they give other kinds of characters their own show. If the Rogue Squadron movie ends up having a character be force-sensitive, I am just going to tap out.

Bad news about the source material

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i still think that an obi-wan show/movie about him being a space samurai ronin on tatooine would have been really good with ewan mcgregor and a decent script but there are way too many star wars and i'm not going to watch the mandalorian even with them trying to entice me with space raylan givens

honestly, The Last Jedi is probably the greatest gift disney could have asked for, a tremendously divisive movie that enraged a huge chunk of the fanbase that they can now appease with whatever nonsense they're doing in the tv shows that have people falling over themselves thanking a corporation for making their star wars great again. no one is concerned about the artistic quality of the tv/movies, it's all about making the characters say and do the Correct things so people can get in on that vapor nostalgia

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Dec 20, 2020

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I want more Anderson Dawes, where is jarred harris

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

double negative posted:

after all that build up, cgi-face luke picking up happy meal toy grogu made me burst into laughter

gently caress I should not have clicked this

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Terror Sweat posted:

i thought he was filming the Culture series amazon was doing but I guess that got canned so your question stands.

he really killed it in season one, such a great character

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Disney releases a Rise of Skywalker Director’s Cut but instead of tweaking any of the plot or pacing, the bigfuck ships battle will have cuts of each of your favorite characters. Mando. Watto. Glup Shitto. Everyone is in this together.

As much as I disliked it, I enjoyed seeing Old Man Wedge. Ahhh you tricked me again, Disney.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Honestly I would have been fine with (Mandalorian S2 finale spoilers) Luke showing up and being loving badass because it reminded me of the Clone Wars shows of seeing Anakin being cool and having the dramatic irony of knowing he will tragically fall from grace in the future. But holy poo poo did the CGI ruin that.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Dreylad posted:

i still think that an obi-wan show/movie about him being a space samurai ronin on tatooine would have been really good with ewan mcgregor and a decent script but there are way too many star wars and i'm not going to watch the mandalorian even with them trying to entice me with space raylan givens

One of the worst things the prequels did was change the Jedi from mystic space ronin to just a bunch of cops with swords who were everywhere all the time

It's extremely stupid in The Mandolorian when everyone is like "who are these mysterious 'Jedi'? I've never heard of them" and it's like buddy these dudes were pulling you over for speeding tickets thirty years ago, how do you not know them?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

One of the worst things the prequels did was change the Jedi from mystic space ronin to just a bunch of cops with swords who were everywhere all the time

It's extremely stupid in The Mandolorian when everyone is like "who are these mysterious 'Jedi'? I've never heard of them" and it's like buddy these dudes were pulling you over for speeding tickets thirty years ago, how do you not know them?

My friend there are people that doubt a genocide happened 80 years ago on this very planet

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Terror Sweat posted:

My friend there are people that doubt a genocide happened 80 years ago on this very planet

That's a good point, where are the Alderaan truthers in Star Wars?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'd imagine that the people want to actively forget an organization tied to the government that actively took and groomed young children into their order.

e:

The more serious answer is probably the empire ruthlessly hunted down the jedi in episode 3, and i'd guess they'd go after anyone who'd openly talk about it. Leading them to be a vague rumor in the galaxy.

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Dec 20, 2020

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Dreylad posted:

i thought he was filming the Culture series amazon was doing but I guess that got canned so your question stands.

its foundation for apple tv and they resumed filming in october

Serf
May 5, 2011

if they're so devoted to bringing back the ot characters they should just bite the loving bullet and recast them. the cgi zombie tech isn't there yet, so just knock it off and bring in some new actors to play the old characters

e: also there were like 10k jedi in a galaxy with trillions of people. to most people they would be semi-mythical. the problem is that despite these numbers we're drowning in force users in the stories we actually see. this is because space magic and swordfights are cool, but its a case of trying to have your cake and eat it too

Serf has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Dec 20, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Bro Dad posted:

its foundation for apple tv and they resumed filming in october

im a confused old man

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

gonna be posting this one at takes on twitter a lot!

"Jesus Christ. That’s really how you go through life, isn’t it?"

Please give me more Fred Johnson being dumbfounded by Holden's actions

Terror Sweat posted:

YES

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
how'd i not know Jarred was playing Hari Seldon? huh

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
new Mandalorian is ok i guess, but smol yoda eating those eggs is supremely hosed up

also lmao at two old fatass x-wing pilots

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Anyone pointed out yet that, released in 2018, the American film Alpha probably began preproduction as soon as various academic journals started publishing articles about how the original conception of alpha males and pack structure was a myth, but vitally important to Americans' mythology around themselves and the justification for their "destroy everything and everyone for they are weak" attitudes?

Tubgoat has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Dec 21, 2020

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

grate deceiver posted:

new Mandalorian is ok i guess, but smol yoda eating those eggs is supremely hosed up

also lmao at two old fatass x-wing pilots

I laughed at the eggs. Reminded me of Nibbler from Futurama

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

look, yoda eating those eggs is funny as gently caress

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

Anyone pointed out yet that, released in 2018, the American film Alpha probably began preproduction as soon as various academic journals started publishing articles about how the original conception of alpha males and pack structure was a myth, but vitally important to Americans' mythology around themselves and the justification for their "destroy everything and everyone for they are weak" attitudes?

The Omegaverse is a CIA psyop

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Baby yoda caused a genocide

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Tiberius Christ posted:

Baby yoda caused a genocide

My father loving loves Disney/Star Wars and when my mum and I convinced him that Good Morning America really did run a "news" segment about people putting baby yodas on their trees instead of stars or angels, he loving joker laughed. Even thinking about it makes me giggle.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Something I'm amazed at with Disney's handling of Star Wars is just kind of how cheap they've been on certain things, that for some reason people surebut upset about. Like the comics continually stealing fan art or that the ISD 1 (from Rogue One) model seems to be the only new digital model they've created so it just gets put into everything, from then just putting a laser under it in Rise of Skywalker, to it being the Star Destroyer in Star Wars Squadrons, even though it should be an ISD II at that point. Maybe that's just the fanboy in me but I think that's far more deserving of ctiticism than anything in the Last Jedi

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Something I'm amazed at with Disney's handling of Star Wars is just kind of how cheap they've been on certain things, that for some reason people surebut upset about. Like the comics continually stealing fan art or that the ISD 1 (from Rogue One) model seems to be the only new digital model they've created so it just gets put into everything, from then just putting a laser under it in Rise of Skywalker, to it being the Star Destroyer in Star Wars Squadrons, even though it should be an ISD II at that point. Maybe that's just the fanboy in me but I think that's far more deserving of ctiticism than anything in the Last Jedi

This kinda stuff just makes things like them doubling the budget of Solo with reshoots because Kasdan was mad the directors were changing his lovely dialogue even funnier

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

OctoberCountry posted:

This kinda stuff just makes things like them doubling the budget of Solo with reshoots because Kasdan was mad the directors were changing his lovely dialogue even funnier

That is absolutely insane.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

OctoberCountry posted:

gently caress the original Episode IX with Trevorrow. I want Solo with Lord and Miller not being pushed off the helm.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The alfred Hitchcock directed Foreign Correspondent (1940) is a very good movie.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

The alfred Hitchcock directed Foreign Correspondent (1940) is a very good movie.

hey, I was just watching this too! the male lead is hilariously creepy when he meets the female lead. 30+ notes sent to her table with messages like "how about breakfast" and "what do you think about big families". the original sliding into DMs

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

KomradeX posted:

The way big 2 comics are run seems so ridiculous to me. They essentially operate as ways to beta test new storylines and characters for Disney and Warner Bros. brands, but they are also still tied to a monthly release schedules and expected to turn a profit. It's not far removed from a movie studio expecting their storyboard artists to be profitable in their own right at this point.

The actual writers and artists seem to know the industry better. Lots of creator owned comics are just pitches to turn the IP into TV shows and movies. Even though there are less resources behind those products, they are still often higher quality than big 2 comics. The creators know that a better pitch will make it a little more likely to be picked up for adaptation.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/okjKuhT.mp4

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Star wars without the space wizard stuff might as well just not be star wars- there's no need to be a star wars property if you want to make science fiction or just tell non-SF stories. Unfortunately, we're in the age of subtextless nerd poo poo so welcome to hell.

solo suffered from being the han solo show, because it had to do all the han solo things instead of just kinda going where it made more sense plot-wise

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Aglet56 posted:

hey, I was just watching this too! the male lead is hilariously creepy when he meets the female lead. 30+ notes sent to her table with messages like "how about breakfast" and "what do you think about big families". the original sliding into DMs

Agreed! Watching a lot of old 30s, 40s and 50s movies and the creepy misogyny is all over and changes in weird ways. The ending to the movie was great and unexpected.

Check out the 1934 original "the man who knew too much". I need to check out the 1954 remake, but the OG has an insane 20 minute finale.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Star wars without the space wizard stuff might as well just not be star wars- there's no need to be a star wars property if you want to make science fiction or just tell non-SF stories. Unfortunately, we're in the age of subtextless nerd poo poo so welcome to hell.

solo suffered from being the han solo show, because it had to do all the han solo things instead of just kinda going where it made more sense plot-wise

the way franchises exist today, with expanded universes and tightly controlled brand "canons," really seem to restrict storytelling possibilities. it's a great way to sell media products until the audience burns out, but it sucks for the audience.

Stan Lee's real innovation in media was the commercial expanded universe. I know that going back to at least Dickens, commercial media has used serialized stories to keep consumers buying their product. Stan Lee is the first person I know who consistently advertised, with spinoffs and crossovers, that readers needed to also buy other serialized stories to know the whole story. I know groups of writers like Lovecraft's circle or the Inklings had referenced each others works before, implying a shared universe, but they didn't have footnotes saying to buy their friends' book to know the context.

The real surprising thing is that Stan Lee introduced the strategy in the 1960s, and it took until the 2010s for movie studios to implement.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
holy gently caress new episode of The Expanse just starts immediately at 100 on the intensity scale, good loving lord

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

holy gently caress new episode of The Expanse just starts immediately at 100 on the intensity scale, good loving lord

good time to not be the General Secretary!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

that was a great episode of the expanse, politifact called it a game changer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006