Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Leavemywife posted:

Avatar is a good movie and I don't get why people poo poo on it. Is it just because of all the money it made and how big it was for a while?

It’s because it’s a good movie. With all the resources pumped into it, it’s neither great nor bad. Outside the novelty of its existence, they didn’t do anything bold or risky.

People are like “lol ferngully”, but Ferngully had, like, Robin Williams playing an enormous cybernetically-enhanced bat. Literally a bat. Sometimes your whole film boils down to one insane move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hey now, it also had Tim Curry voicing a demon with an absurdly sexy song.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hey now, it also had Tim Curry voicing a demon with an absurdly sexy song.

Why even cast Tim Curry if he's not doing a sexy song.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/fullHDTrailer1/status/1326545808032870400?s=20https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0dsmIeLmIM
Gabe Newell went in the complete opposite direction

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 20, 2020

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I watched Avatar again recently because it’s on Disney+ and yeah it still holds up. It looks fantastic, it’s got Sigourney Weaver and Giovanni Ribisi, the music is absolutely on point, Sam Worthington isn’t completely terrible, and it has those kick rear end mech suits that lead to giant blue cat vs mech knife fight. Like how do people not enjoy that?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

It feels like he was in half the 90s kids cartoons, including personal favourite The Mighty Ducks. I don't think he gets a song, but he gets lots of hammy villainous dialogue.

Neither a sequel to Life nor a stealth New Gods movie, tsk.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I see a trailer where Bruce Willis smiling and laughing, and although a little sleepy seems to be putting in a performance in this shlocky movie. But then I know that the trailer is probably all the parts that contain Bruce Willis, or at least him giving even a shot at trying.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Ralph recently did a video about lovely Bruce Willis movies and someone claiming to have worked on one of them contacted him saying Bruce didn't read the script, he had an earpiece for someone to feed him lines. He probably ends up making like 100k for every hour he's on set and doesn't have to memorize dialogue, it's a pretty good gig.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't like Avatar because it's terribly unimaginative compared to his other movies. Not in a technological sense but a design one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stink Billyums posted:

Ralph recently did a video about lovely Bruce Willis movies and someone claiming to have worked on one of them contacted him saying Bruce didn't read the script, he had an earpiece for someone to feed him lines. He probably ends up making like 100k for every hour he's on set and doesn't have to memorize dialogue, it's a pretty good gig.

I liked the video he did on Seagal movies, especially the part where he showed that Seagal's body double was just standing around in the background of a shot while wearing the same outfit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole deep sea bioluminescence look was pretty original, but they really only focus on the space horse, space tiger, space pterodactyl and bigger space pterodactyl.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't like Avatar because it's terribly unimaginative compared to his other movies. Not in a technological sense but a design one.

It's worse because it was designed to be his most imaginative movie originally to the point of everything being unrecognizably alien, but he paired it down to lowest common denominator reaching himself, on purpose, just to be sure that every demographic worldwide would like it to some degree instead of being at all inaccessible.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
IT MADE OVER 2 BILLION DOLLARS!!!

I think that’s been used to end any debate about Avatar.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

That's one of them he's filmed in shithole Georgia. I think he filmed another this year.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gatts posted:

IT MADE OVER 2 BILLION DOLLARS!!!

I think that’s been used to end any debate about Avatar.

I still think it's a boring, bad movie. I haven't liked any Cameron since Terminator 2 which is when he crawled up his own rear end and never came out, and just makes bland garbage now. Like if the stuff he made was as interesting as he thinks it is I wouldn't have an issue with it, but when I watch Avatar I see what everyone else in this forum sees when they talk about Marvel stuff: a paint by numbers movie made by a committee with the explicit intent of making as much money as possible with as little actual art behind it as possible. It's soulless.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I still think it's a boring, bad movie. I haven't liked any Cameron since Terminator 2 which is when he crawled up his own rear end and never came out, and just makes bland garbage now. Like if the stuff he made was as interesting as he thinks it is I wouldn't have an issue with it, but when I watch Avatar I see what everyone else in this forum sees when they talk about Marvel stuff: a paint by numbers movie made by a committee with the explicit intent of making as much money as possible with as little actual art behind it as possible. It's soulless.

IDK, True Lies is still pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKMSYuzDp5E

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 20, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alhazred posted:

The one thing missing from It (1990) imo

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I dislike Avatar because he's doing that instead of important things like getting me The Abyss in 4k or at least blu-ray.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d rather pay 500 bucks to go to avatar world than see the movie again.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

PeterCat posted:

IDK, True Lies is still pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKMSYuzDp5E

True Lies is streaming on Amazon, and that might be my favorite Arnie movie, even counting Terminator 1 and 2 and Predator. It's such a perfect mix of comedy and action, almost veering into parody, but barely staying outside of it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I've been to Disney World plenty of times and Universal Studios too.

Universal Studios has better rides but Disney has better atmosphere. The Avatar World is pretty awesome as is the main ride. Disney World is worth a visit but go offseason and spend on fast pass. Waiting 3-4 hours in sweltering summer heat and lines is not the way.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
True Lies kicks rear end

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That Anti-life movie looks like they spent less money than the average episode of Farscape

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Leavemywife posted:

True Lies is streaming on Amazon, and that might be my favorite Arnie movie, even counting Terminator 1 and 2 and Predator.

True Lies is cool but I can't gently caress with this

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Darko posted:

Its ridiculously stupid even on its face, because most things that cause people to "remember" things in movies is because they stay in the public eye due to things like cartoons and sequels. Avatar just sat on its own as a singular movie with very little tie ins, so of course you're going to forget stuff about it. It's not the MCU where two movies that reference the other movies get released a year or whatever.

It's interesting that Cameron chose to keep it as low key as he did, because you know any number of people would have jumped to create an immediately Avatar extended universe or whatever.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

It's interesting that Cameron chose to keep it as low key as he did, because you know any number of people would have jumped to create an immediately Avatar extended universe or whatever.

Can't say I blame him after what happened to the Terminator franchise.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My favorite part of Avatar is that Wayne Barlowe did a lot of the Pandora designs and he reused a lot of his alien biome work for his kick-rear end book Expedition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedition_(book)

Grendels Dad posted:

Unrelated, I get that people don't like Avatar for being super generic. But it's still incredibly well-made on pretty much every level that counts, and people acting like its footprint is worthless when the Star Wars sequels are standing right there is pretty funny. Those movies are generic as gently caress, badly put together and not even impressive on a technological level. Their only legacy will be that they are parts of a bigger franchise, but as movies I'm pretty sure everybody will have forgotten about them in five years.

I generally agree with you on the Star Wars sequels, with one exception - I think liking/disliking The Last Jedi is going to remain as a general empty signifier of internet culture wars for a while.

I re-watched all the Star Wars films with my girlfriend recently and I truly think Rise of Skywalker is worse than any of the prequels. TFA and TLJ are on the prequels' level.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

My problem with James Cameron's Avatar is that it is a by the numbers White Savior narrative with heavy Noble Savage elements as well.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

MH Knights posted:

My problem with James Cameron's Avatar is that it is a by the numbers White Savior narrative with heavy Noble Savage elements as well.

Thank you.

I found the story cliche, boring, and exhausting. I enjoyed the 3D before it eventually gave me motion sickness and a migraine, and the cinematography was great. But the poo poo was trite as hell. I hate this idea that because something is popular and made over a billion dollars, it must mean if someone dislikes it, they're just being contrarian.

I think Grown Ups 1 & 2 were lovely, unfunny movies. But, combined, the films raked in $500 million.

You cannot deny that Avatar had a large cultural impact based on how often it was referenced, how many people went and saw it in theatres, the impact on 3d movies, etc. How much that carries forward into the sequels is questionable. And a million billion dollars doesn't automatically make it a good movie for everyone.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think the MAIN problem with avatar is that it makes budda into a celebrity/superhero.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Was watching a video on youtube and a trailer started autoplaying, usually I'd skip but for some reason I got serious MOON vibes from the start and watching it and... it looks pretty good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdiI9WbuC2k

Anyone know anything more on this?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Chairman Capone posted:

I generally agree with you on the Star Wars sequels, with one exception - I think liking/disliking The Last Jedi is going to remain as a general empty signifier of internet culture wars for a while.

We were in Disney around the release (her mom lives in Orlando), and our bartender mentioned that a lot of people were ranting about it angrily or they absolutely loved it.

We told him that we had definitely seen a Star Wars movie and that was about it.

It gets a lot better on rewatch, but the hyperspace suicide run will bother me forever because that's not how it works.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

We were in Disney around the release (her mom lives in Orlando), and our bartender mentioned that a lot of people were ranting about it angrily or they absolutely loved it.

We told him that we had definitely seen a Star Wars movie and that was about it.

It gets a lot better on rewatch, but the hyperspace suicide run will bother me forever because that's not how it works.

I mean, Hyperspace isn't really defined very well in any of the films prior to that. It's the thing where the stars turn into lines and later there's sort of a Doctor Who/2001 tunnel thingy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean, Hyperspace isn't really defined very well in any of the films prior to that. It's the thing where the stars turn into lines and later there's sort of a Doctor Who/2001 tunnel thingy.

Space combat with anything larger than a fighter has also never been consistent or sensible, and the films are better for it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Maxwell Lord posted:

If it worked that way, hyperspace would have been weaponized already.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like the Avatar. it revolves around losing your life and fighting America as an alien abomination

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Maxwell Lord posted:

Apparently, flying through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
:siren:LOGICAL INCONSISTENCY DETECTED:siren:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Beachcomber posted:

If it worked that way, hyperspace would have been weaponized already.

There's a million reasons you could come up with for why it worked in this case, and it wouldn't work in other cases, because hyperspace is not real and is made up.

"It looked and sounded really cool," is the real answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

well why not posted:

I like the Avatar. it revolves around losing your life and fighting America as an alien abomination

Avatar has good politics but is very ok at best and True Lies has pretty lovely politics but is a blast.