Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Final score wasn't super close but Iowa shot about as badly from three and from the foul line as they will all year and still hung in there with by far the best team in the country aside from one really bad stretch at the end of the first half so honestly don't feel too bad about it. And Garza was still completely unstoppable against a team with a bunch of solid bigs to throw at him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
i hate byu

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ha, this just reminded me of the Jimmer Fredette year and I can't imagine anything more frustrating than BYU plus that ridiculousness.

Looking him up he actually played in the NBA in 2019 for a few games? Christ, Suns.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Kentucky's start is their worst since 1926-27, which began 1-8.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Ha, this just reminded me of the Jimmer Fredette year and I can't imagine anything more frustrating than BYU plus that ridiculousness.

Looking him up he actually played in the NBA in 2019 for a few games? Christ, Suns.

We lost three games all year. To UConn in the tournament and BYU twice.

I hate them so much

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Man this Rutgers team. They got punched in the mouth in the first half and still beat a REALLY good team. Legit A F.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

holy poo poo, northwestern takes down #5 michigan state

last time they took down a top 5 team, they beat Magic Johnson

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

boo loving buie

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
11 in the country. Wow.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Missouri up to 14 after a COVID-cancelled game again Prairie View, we love to see it

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Dropped out of the rankings completely, wow

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee has outscored their last two opponents 205-115.

Those teams are a combined 0-13 :v:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I know it's nice to have some easy non-conference home games to tune up for the tough stuff but I'm not sure what Baylor learns from a game against Arkansas Pine Bluff where they were up 55-12 at halftime.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/byNathanKing/status/1341202039431442432
:sickos:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
ah poo poo we open with Purdue in conference play? They always bury us under like 700 threes. Hopefully this is one of the years where they get completely short circuited by a press

Crazy Ted posted:

I know it's nice to have some easy non-conference home games to tune up for the tough stuff but I'm not sure what Baylor learns from a game against Arkansas Pine Bluff where they were up 55-12 at halftime.

I mean baylor also tried to play Gonzaga so they don't seem like a team to knock for scheduling. Almost everyone plays at least a game or two against someone in the 300s on KenPom, Baylor just happens to be maybe the best team in the country.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MourningView posted:

Hopefully this is one of the years where they get completely short circuited by a press

Ah, you're speaking of every year except 2018-19 then

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Poque posted:

Ah, you're speaking of every year except 2018-19 then

I dunno it didn't work last year either.

I think every Iowa win over Purdue since Fran has been here is like fall behind by 20 -> start pressing in the second half out of desperation -> make gigantic comeback because Purdue keeps running right into a corner and getting trapped. If that doesn't work then we just get buried in 3s and lose by 30, even in years where Purdue can't really shoot.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
the Matt Painter strategy is always
1) get large lead through lucky three point shooting
2) exclusively inbound in the corner to terrible freshmen incapable of dribbling

It's honestly amazing, at this point it has to be some kind of intentional "survival of the fittest" strategy designed to improve ball-handling by the time senior year rolls around, but so far it has only worked on Ryan Cline

This doesn't even include his strategy of always having a 7'2" or larger teen that can't dunk and always dribbles after being passed the ball in the paint

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

MourningView posted:

I dunno it didn't work last year either.

I think every Iowa win over Purdue since Fran has been here is like fall behind by 20 -> start pressing in the second half out of desperation -> make gigantic comeback because Purdue keeps running right into a corner and getting trapped. If that doesn't work then we just get buried in 3s and lose by 30, even in years where Purdue can't really shoot.

I'm pretty sure that only happened once but it was infuriating to watch as a Purdue fan.

The jury is still out on this year's team, but they've handled the press better the last couple of years. We're still going to get run out of the gym tonight though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ColdBlooded posted:

I'm pretty sure that only happened once but it was infuriating to watch as a Purdue fan.

The jury is still out on this year's team, but they've handled the press better the last couple of years. We're still going to get run out of the gym tonight though.

i'm almost positive it happened twice in one of the uthoff years but I could be wrong who knows

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Welp I think we all suspected this might have been the problem but it's official now:

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1341542774395559936

e: well officially reported I should say, no one other than that one paper has picked it up yet other than to refer to their report as far as I can tell.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 23, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MourningView posted:

ah poo poo we open with Purdue in conference play? They always bury us under like 700 threes. Hopefully this is one of the years where they get completely short circuited by a press.

This wasn't a huge deal because Purdue's offense was awful in general but yeah they are still really bad at it lol

Felt like Iowa played like poo poo and they still won by 15 against a pretty good team. Please start Joe Toussaint. I love Bohannon but he's not the same guy after the hip injury, and the difference when Toussaint is in is huge.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Glad to see SDSU bounce back and run St. Marys off the court.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Good for them, all it took for someone to consider player safety was being the literal worst team in the entire country

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1341840331214626823?s=19

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

They had no OOC's left after cancelling their last one against Iowa State so they already got paid. No reason to go on with conference play.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rutgers/OSU. Weird to just expect to win a game like this.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Peanut President posted:

They had no OOC's left after cancelling their last one against Iowa State so they already got paid. No reason to go on with conference play.

sad they had to cancel the most winnable one though

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

MourningView posted:

sad they had to cancel the most winnable one though

they lost to Eastern Illinois

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

mcmagic posted:

Rutgers/OSU. Weird to just expect to win a game like this.

You probably shouldn't have.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Peanut President posted:

they lost to Eastern Illinois

okay so tied for most winnable

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The officiating was pro-OSU tonight, but I thought we were fortunate a bit there on Sunday against Illinois. The issue is the refs are not robots, and they will usually favor the home team even if there's no crowd.

More broadly, team depth is pretty bad right now with Cliffy hurt. If you knock Myles Johnson out of the game, we're utterly hosed, and you saw it tonight. We still probably win if Young doesn't get hurt, and I think we're the better team overall.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

The officiating was pro-OSU tonight, but I thought we were fortunate a bit there on Sunday against Illinois. The issue is the refs are not robots, and they will usually favor the home team even if there's no crowd.

More broadly, team depth is pretty bad right now with Cliffy hurt. If you knock Myles Johnson out of the game, we're utterly hosed, and you saw it tonight. We still probably win if Young doesn't get hurt, and I think we're the better team overall.

Yeah they were super short handed that game and they completely fell apart once they had those like 4 terrible calls in a row go against them. If Young is out a while along with Cliff that isn't great.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Dropping in to say WVU is very good, but not great this year. Also our game versus Buffalo has been canceled and we replaced them with *checks notes* Northeastern.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Yeah they were super short handed that game and they completely fell apart once they had those like 4 terrible calls in a row go against them. If Young is out a while along with Cliff that isn't great.

Young's ok, but Omoruyi might still be out a few more weeks.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Duke's women's team called quits on the season. The men's team, of course, will continue playing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

northwestern beats ohio state, remains undefeated in first place in the Big Ten, i have no idea what the gently caress is happening

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

R.D. Mangles posted:

northwestern beats ohio state, remains undefeated in first place in the Big Ten, i have no idea what the gently caress is happening

Incredible

joshsboringlife
Apr 21, 2011

All I did was offer to kill your dog and the next thing I know I am being judged.
Just finished watching the replay, thrilling win by Northwestern. gently caress Ohio State!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

Kentucky lost again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Laughing at how quickly Coach Cal has gone from "Of course our early season is rough, we have a rough schedule!" to "Yeah, I guess we suck."