Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the universality of this experience makes me wonder what other deep psychological damage is being done by schooling. you know, the sort of thing we'll look back on 100 years later like "wait, they used to do WHAT to those poor kids?"

i think it's more that school is an important part of american adolescence and so it's a common setting for insecurities that arise from that. if, like, you grew up in a culture where instead of a diploma you had to do a solo hunt and bring down a moose, your dreams would be about not really killing the moose and now the village will find out and everyone will know that you're not a Real Adult.

same anxiety, same fear of failure, same coming-of-age milestone

like, there's a lot wrong with american education, but you're overthinking the importance of the dreams imo. unless the dreams are about a school shooter coming in, that is a uniquely american and tremendously hosed up thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Achmed Jones posted:

i think it's more that school is an important part of american adolescence and so it's a common setting for insecurities that arise from that. if, like, you grew up in a culture where instead of a diploma you had to do a solo hunt and bring down a moose, your dreams would be about not really killing the moose and now the village will find out and everyone will know that you're not a Real Adult.

like, there's a lot wrong with american education, but you're overthinking the importance of the dreams imo. unless the dreams are about a school shooter coming in, that is a uniquely american and tremendously hosed up thing

it's not just american

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I occasionally have the pantsless in public dream but mostly I'm just upset because I lost a cute pair of pants

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

i hope you're all gonna get and take some magnesium and come back with some trip reports

melatonin does the weird dream thing for me and those are some of the most exciting dreams ive had in years. the plots are strange but very coherent feeling, and the settings are very thorough and cohesive

i was taking 10mg regularly for a while and those were like small novels. 1.5 still had the effect but made waking less groggy. after the high dosage I've been able to ease down to none and now get regular sleep with a routine established during use, as well as dreaming consistently. for about 6 years i remembered no dreams and sleep felt hollow

as for diploma dreams i actually was almost a credit short on graduating in four years and had to run around cross-checking requirements since i dropped an elective once. those dreams are very real to me and i too wake up unsure despite also having a masters

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Achmed Jones posted:

i was a grown rear end adult with a wife and a kid. what are you saying about me?????!

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i had dreams where i was being chased and ultimately murdered from about age 17 to age 24 and it loving sucked and i had a constant, existential dread about falling asleep and never waking up

then they stopped who even knows why the human subconscious is weird

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there’s probably huge volumes of research around dreams and sleep and i’d be surprised if vivid dreams weren’t correlated with better sleep.

i imagine they’re a emergent phenomenon of good sleep

melatonin yeah does seem to be good for this. i don’t know much about supplementing melatonin as far as it reducing your endogenous supply or whatever but it’s over the counter in america and it’s by far the best “sleeping pill”. it’s prescription only in new zealand 😓

should take it with magnesium of course ;)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
see, my dreams are really vivid but I’d say I don’t sleep well. might be because of meds tho, so there’s a factor right there.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i'll never take melatonin again even though it helped me get to sleep whenever i took it

those were the only times i've ever experienced sleep paralysis and they were utterly terrifying

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Progesteroné makes your dreams super weird but it's worth it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol there’s my theories outta the water

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Progesteroné makes your dreams super weird but it's worth it.

🤔

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i had a super weird dream last night that i think had a lot of symbolism, but i won't describe it too much cause dreams are boring to read about. it was me at my parents' house with the people i work with, my boss gave me some broken eggs that each contained two yolks, i planted a very small cherry tree, and there was a large open field

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Roosevelt posted:

i had a super weird dream last night that i think had a lot of symbolism, but i won't describe it too much cause dreams are boring to read about. it was me at my parents' house with the people i work with, my boss gave me some broken eggs that each contained two yolks, i planted a very small cherry tree, and there was a large open field
imo 99% of dreams are brain/cognition degaussing

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

going off SSRIs a little too fast gave me gory splatter nightmares. but the brain zaps were even worse.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Myself is hurting me.

you're posts are hurting me

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

echinopsis posted:

there’s probably huge volumes of research around dreams and sleep and i’d be surprised if vivid dreams weren’t correlated with better sleep.

i imagine they’re a emergent phenomenon of good sleep

melatonin yeah does seem to be good for this. i don’t know much about supplementing melatonin as far as it reducing your endogenous supply or whatever but it’s over the counter in america and it’s by far the best “sleeping pill”. it’s prescription only in new zealand 😓

should take it with magnesium of course ;)

my new job that i'm starting next month is in sleep research so i'll probably be able to answer a lot of questions in a year or so

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s cool as

dreams raise some interesting things about consciousness, about how consciousness is utterly empty except for what’s put into it, and one of those things is critical thinking or analysis, and during dreaming that kind of stuff is turned off. consciousness itself doesn’t have a problem with disjointed experience at all

i don’t lucid dream much but i’ve done it enough that it’s not novel, but it is interesting because you basically do engage that thinking part of your brain. just a shame memories of dreams fade so quickly.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

one time i dreamed that i was eating a giant marshmallow and when i woke up my pillow was gone. :shrug:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The daddest joke imaginable

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i don’t deny it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Blinkz0rz posted:

i'll never take melatonin again even though it helped me get to sleep whenever i took it

those were the only times i've ever experienced sleep paralysis and they were utterly terrifying

as an idiot teen i induced sleep paralysis in myself trying to astral project. followed all the steps i could find to make yourself astral project and eventually it “worked” and it was terrifying. ever since then i occasionally get sleep paralysis by accident, especially when im super exhausted. i can feel it coming on sometimes and try to wiggle my toes to snap out of it before it gets too bad and that usually works

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

where did you project to?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I IRL totally forgot about a final exam for one of my classes until after finals period was half over. I think I had assumed it didn't have one, only to remember that it actually did?

but luckily it was scheduled late in the period, after I had remembered its existence, so I didn't end up missing it

I had dreams about that incident for like a decade

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

prefect posted:

it's not just american

how many doctorates did this mf have

mystes
May 31, 2006

President Beep posted:

one time i dreamed that i was eating a giant marshmallow and when i woke up my pillow was gone. :shrug:
Mike Lindell begs to differ.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i turned in my portfolio for a creative writing class the day after it was due because i got the date wrong. the professor was like "don't worry about it" and it was fine. i got lucky there i guess

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

where did you project to?

i projected to a dark void several inches above my body, unable to move as dozens of evil beings were watching and waiting at the edges of my "vision"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

fart simpson posted:

i projected to a dark void several inches above my body, unable to move as dozens of evil beings were watching and waiting at the edges of my "vision"

lol sleep paralysis hallucinations are hosed up

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
if i was astrally projecting it would be to the scratch and win lotto ticket factory

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Progressive JPEG posted:

I IRL totally forgot about a final exam for one of my classes until after finals period was half over. I think I had assumed it didn't have one, only to remember that it actually did?

but luckily it was scheduled late in the period, after I had remembered its existence, so I didn't end up missing it

I had dreams about that incident for like a decade

i sat outside a final for twenty minutes not knowing the class was inside, that prof was a turd and it didnt surprise me he decided to shift the class early since everything else he did was terrible

it was an american art history course where he, no joke, stated his adoration of thomas kinkade and i have never felt so vindicated in my reaction of disgust and loathing for someone

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i took an online class called international relations in my final semester of college because i needed one more social studies class to graduate. but after i came back from spring break i somehow totally forgot i was in the class and didnt remember until it showed up on my final exam schedule and i freaked out. i crammed hard for the final and managed to barely pass and get my credit.

i havent ever had a dream about it tho

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I dropped out of university so I don't have to deal with those bad dreams :smugmrgw:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Agile Vector posted:

i sat outside a final for twenty minutes not knowing the class was inside, that prof was a turd and it didnt surprise me he decided to shift the class early since everything else he did was terrible

it was an american art history course where he, no joke, stated his adoration of thomas kinkade and i have never felt so vindicated in my reaction of disgust and loathing for someone

don't kinkadeshame

e: i googled the guy and seems like it's great outsider art

ee: "Kinkade died of "acute intoxication" from alcohol and diazepam at the age of 54." a true artiste, I bet he would've also had consumption were it not for the fact that he lived in the USA, the country with the best healthcare in the world.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 21, 2020

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I wake up with the sun most days and it feels really good. Nice and toasty under the sheets & a wool blanket in a cold house, dog laying by my feet keeping them warm too.

Last night’s dream has faded but it involved something about being in the drug business and earning the respect of Avon Barksdale, or maybe the actor Wood Harris? I get maybe one nightmare a year or so and they always involve me committing acts of extreme violence against vague personifications of things I hate and I wake up feeling awful and angry.

My back aches a bit at the end of active days but that’s because I’m fat with a big ol’ gut to carry around. I rejoined my favorite gym... right in march lol

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

don't kinkadeshame
gently caress you, make me stop

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

gently caress you, make me stop

Please.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i mostly have bad dreams about sharks biting me or scaring me in other ways

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rotor posted:

i mostly have bad dreams about sharks biting me or scaring me in other ways

that's real life, this is a dream. you were bitten by a shark (again) and the shark bite venom put you to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the most best dream i ever had was a dream where i was old and dying and my son was there (he hadn't been born yet) and he held my hand and everything seemed ok and I was ready to die and then i died.