Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Android Blues posted:

Like I say, I was perfectly happy to, but you can't call someone a child rape enthusiast and then get mad that they showed up to say you're full of it.

They didn't call you that. They said that some unknown idiot was stupid enough to have defended it in the past and left it at that, and then you boldly charged into the thread to let everyone know that yes, you are that idiot. You could have just not done that and nobody would have been the wiser. You have only yourself to blame for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lol, and there's the rape joke avatar. Please, continue your cerebral discussion of how awful it was of the webcomic man to trivialise the suffering of rape survivors while also not being even moderately critical of whoever bought this.

Fister Roboto posted:

They didn't call you that. They said that some unknown idiot was stupid enough to have defended it in the past and left it at that, and then you boldly charged into the thread to let everyone know that yes, you are that idiot. You could have just not done that and nobody would have been the wiser. You have only yourself to blame for this.

Yes, they did.

Invisible Clergy posted:

I know who you're talking about, but won't mention the name since they seems like the kind of insufferable shitmouth who namesearches.

Kavak posted:
Blue something I think. I was put off the original mock thread for about a year because they made things insufferable.

Yeah, even muting them didn't help at all since they forced all the thread discussion to be about how much they loved child rape. Bad times. I'm glad they're not in this thread.

You're clearly being wilfully ignorant because this is your guy and you enjoy the trenchant commentary on a middle-aged man's mediocre webcomic they provide, but yes, that's what they did.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, good job proving them right I guess.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

this thread has certainly taken a turn

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I genuinely don't remember most things I posted years ago and I don't think I started reading until the desert arc, and I can't say more because I don't remember specific conversations and posts, but it's safe to assume I was an rear end in a top hat regardless of what I said and didn't say. I had my own experiences I was still coping with in mixed ways at that time but that does not justify or excuse any of it impacting other people. I'm sorry that I contributed to that environment.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 20, 2020

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Android Blues posted:

At the time I was a teenager who had recently been raped myself! When I said I thought this storyline was not that bad

quote:

recently been raped

quote:

storyline was not that bad

:thunk:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

MiracleFlare posted:

I genuinely don't remember most things I posted years ago and I don't think I started reading until the desert arc, and I can't say more because I don't remember specific conversations and posts, but it's safe to assume I was an rear end in a top hat regardless of what I said and didn't say. I had my own experiences I was still coping with in mixed ways at that time but that does not justify or excuse any of it impacting other people. I'm sorry that I contributed to that environment.

Thank you. Genuinely, I really appreciate that. I was kind of a dipshit back then, I was a kid, but I was also trying to process my own sexual assault and a thread full of people making rapehands edits (in an era of the internet before "rape jokes" had been de-mainstreamed) just set me off horribly.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

DamnitGannet posted:

this thread has certainly taken a turn

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
No matter what happened in that thread in the past, there's no need at all to make fun of a rape survivor now. Maybe the posts were bad, maybe they weren't, but this conversation is done and whoever bought Android Blues that avatar should feel ashamed of themselves. Trauma is really complicated, recovery is really complicated, and sometimes it involves being a difficult person. The mature and kind thing to do would be to let it lie and certainly not to continue prodding the survivor about it. So please be mature and kind about this and move on to talking about something else.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus christ, buying a rape victim that av isn't the sick burn you seem to think it is. Whoever did it, get over yourself.

Telarra fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 20, 2020

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

MiracleFlare posted:

I mostly remember people doing a bunch of goofy edits, but those posts were almost 14 years ago.

How Wonderful! posted:

No matter what happened in that thread in the past, there's no need at all to make fun of a rape survivor now. Maybe the posts were bad, maybe they weren't, but this conversation is done and whoever bought Android Blues that avatar should feel ashamed of themselves. Trauma is really complicated, recovery is really complicated, and sometimes it involves being a difficult person. The mature and kind thing to do would be to let it lie and certainly not to continue prodding the survivor about it. So please be mature and kind about this and move on to talking about something else.

Yeah.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I agree, let's get back to talking about what a lovely comic this is and how it's directly responsible for an even shittier comic today.

Last night I realized that the Tails Gets Trolled comic is still going on and as lovely as that comic is, I would much rather read it than DD without commentary any day. TLD's commentary is literally the only thing that is getting me to read this poo poo and half the time my eyes just skim the panels of near identical pointy snout faces and I rely on the commentary to explain what the gently caress I'm looking at.

My wife's computer is in the same room as mine and she will hear me groaning and sighing with exasperation sometimes and ask me why I insist on torturing myself with this god awful comic and I can't even answer honestly because I've read all this poo poo before in the other threads and I know exactly how much worse it gets and yet I can't stop myself.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

How Wonderful! posted:

It'd be nice if people could stop using the just-offscreen rape panel as a loss.jpg substitute or referring to it with silly demeaning terms like "jazzhands" too tbh.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll stop referring to it that way, yeah.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

e: quote is not edit

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Can we just gas this awful thread where people climb over each other to make the most bombastic declaration of how bad Dominic Deegan is and then pat each other on the back at how virtuous we all are

This thread is exactly as lovely as the old mock thread and a reminder of why we stopped doing mock threads.

The fact that the exchange and avatar bullshit that just happened, happened, should be all the proof you need. There is nothing to be salvaged here.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Maxwell Lord posted:

Taking a brief look at other elements in the story-

He doesn't have to have Dominic go "Well this isn't my issue, yay! Day off!" That's dumb and makes him look callous. You could just say "Well, there's nothing I can do about this right now. I'm going to just sight tight and see what develops."

For a character who's always right about everything and meant to have no flaws, Dominic loves to make a martyr of himself.

Rereading this strip, I thought it was our entry into the Mindbreak arc that leads into the year-long travelogue honeymoon thing, but no. It's a separate, unrelated storyline about even Dominic himself not wanting to get involved with the plot of this comic.

Thanks for the update, The Little Death. You're making my quarantine much more bearable.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

Rereading this strip, I thought it was our entry into the Mindbreak arc that leads into the year-long travelogue honeymoon thing, but no. It's a separate, unrelated storyline about even Dominic himself not wanting to get involved with the plot of this comic.

Thanks for the update, The Little Death. You're making my quarantine much more bearable.

You mean there was a gap between mindbreak and the cruise? How much of this lovely comic did I block out?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

super sweet best pal posted:

You mean there was a gap between mindbreak and the cruise? How much of this lovely comic did I block out?

I think so. After the end of some arc, Dominic is feeling similarly frustrated with having to Do Things, and as a result has sinister nightmares that do "Poltergeist" stuff and move his furniture around the bedroom or something. Luna investigates by reading some books and asks Miranda for advice, and Miranda explains Dominic is getting dangerously close to mindbreak, where seers get so resentful of having to do stuff that they go nuts and begin killing sprees. Apparently this is a well-known enough phenomenon that it has its own name. Miranda says Luna and the other supporting characters must conspire to make Dominic's already charmed life more pleasant. She also specifies they must keep this information secret from him, the all-powerful self-insert with limitless oracular powers, or it won't count. Luna and his grad students raise money to take him on the honeymoon. As mentioned earlier, one of his students sells calendars with sexy photos of herself and donates the money to this cause so Dominic, her professor, will not snap and kill them all.

As you might imagine, none of this is dwelt upon. They get X amount of Mookie dollars and then do the (comparatively) inoffensive honeymoon arc for a while. While it's all just filler, it is notable for having the one good strip of Dominic Deegan, where a dwarf punches him in the balls.

I may well be forgetting some stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing what inane nonsense I forgot in between these story beats as well.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm curious to see how much worse it can get from here on, I guess. I joined the original mock threads right at the beginning of the Desert of Eldariat To Die and I think shortly after that was when the final battle against King Dave and Shuma-Gorath happened.

Now that I think about it, didn't Dominic Deegan sort of do the same thing CAD did? I know CAD just kind of ended out of loving nowhere with no indication it was ending, and I feel like Mookie was talking about all his plans for the future of the comic and then it was the final battle and everything wrapped up.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I'm still enjoying doing the readthrough, and it's actually helping me go through some fairly terrible stuff that recently happened.

So I would ask that yeah, people lay off Android Blues, and we move on rather than bringing up the past.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Now that I think about it, didn't Dominic Deegan sort of do the same thing CAD did? I know CAD just kind of ended out of loving nowhere with no indication it was ending, and I feel like Mookie was talking about all his plans for the future of the comic and then it was the final battle and everything wrapped up.

Mookie seems to plan things day-by-day and I'd be surprised if he knew where the plot was going in anything but the broadest end terms. He's written like that at least since after the Stonewater arc, if not after the Storm of Souls.

That said, there were a couple of plot hooks he teased that never came out, but he said he decided to drop them a long while before the end of the comic started. You could tell Mookie was ready to try something else and was prepping for Star Power, but DD was in a state where it could really end whenever Mookie wanted. Because it'd always end in a stiff DBZ fight like the prior dozen boss fights had. The "real" DD people had been attached to ended a long time ago by that point and closing things out was just a matter of formality.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Nuns with Guns posted:

Mookie seems to plan things day-by-day and I'd be surprised if he knew where the plot was going in anything but the broadest end terms. He's written like that at least since after the Stonewater arc, if not after the Storm of Souls.

That said, there were a couple of plot hooks he teased that never came out, but he said he decided to drop them a long while before the end of the comic started. You could tell Mookie was ready to try something else and was prepping for Star Power, but DD was in a state where it could really end whenever Mookie wanted. Because it'd always end in a stiff DBZ fight like the prior dozen boss fights had. The "real" DD people had been attached to ended a long time ago by that point and closing things out was just a matter of formality.
This is true.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm curious to see how much worse it can get from here on, I guess. I joined the original mock threads right at the beginning of the Desert of Eldariat To Die and I think shortly after that was when the final battle against King Dave and Shuma-Gorath happened.

I think the fencing tournament and art auction arc ("don't be so clothes-minded," the cattlebasters, and the last time we see Celesto) was right after Eldariat to Die and was unbelievably the first time King Dave is actually introduced and we're arbitrarily told he's the final boss.

It did indeed just kind of stop after his dbz fight with King Dave with little denouement because he was so excited to go do Star Power. Look how that worked out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey everyone, sorry I took things too far. For what it's worth I didn't buy Android's av, and I hope I haven't given anyone a reason to not believe me.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Despite my misgivings with her I didn't do it either.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Can we move on and talk about how utterly convenient that despite being physically weak this is never actually a detriment to Dominic because nearly all of his conflicts take place in "mental realms"? It's been said over and over but Mookie only ever includes flaws that never actually inconvenience the characters except for gags and goofs.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 20, 2020

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Can we move on and talk about how utterly convenient that despite being physically weak this is never actually a detriment to Dominic because nearly all of his conflicts take place in "mental realms"? It's been said over and over but Mookie only ever includes flaws that never actually inconvenience the characters except for gags and goofs.

"He's not a Gary Stu, he's super weak!"

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

The contrived rape was so awful that it distracted us from the important questions like how did Melna recognize Stonewater when she hasn't seem him since she was a child? Why was her first reaction to hug him?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Mookie was going for an anime "childhood friends" angle but hosed it up, and also forgot he hosed it up. They treat each other like they knew one another for years even though as far as the reader knows they didn't even exchange words before the ownership duel.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 20, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Who What Now posted:

And within the mindscape, he will immediately physically beat his enemies down with brute force/dbz laser beams. Mookie inexplicably pats himself on the back for having his character be an intellectual and not a filthy jock.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mookie was going for an anime "childhood friends" angle but hosed it up, and also forgot he hosed it up. They treat each other like they knew one another for years even though as far as the reader knows they didn't even exchange words before the ownership duel.

All true. Aside from the content, one of the annoying things about the War in Hell arc is that it introduces a completely new cast of identical characters who act like we're supposed to know who they are and what their relationships with one another are.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
You know, one thing that gets me, when Mookie decides to bring up sexual assault (intentionally as a dramatic moment, so not counting stuff where we go 'wait, isn't that super non-consensual' but he obviously never thought of that, or when he plays it for laughs) it's not just that I feel his handling of the subject is incredibly poorly, tastelessly done, but then the context and background makes it way worse. Like, Bumper (Bumper? And Stout? I keep on wanting to say Bumper and Snout, but that's just me thinking literally anything would give Legacy the kick it needs to not be boring as poo poo), that's also where it's definitely, 100% established that he's Black, and that was obviously intentional to a degree, though I'm not sure if Mookie thought he'd established that fact well enough or not. Either way, it was a surprise to most people, and gave the event weird and super uncomfortable layers to it. Then with this, we have the orcs obviously heavily inspired by Native American cultures, who have been consistently given 'noble savage' traits, which to my mind at least puts another gross layer on top of the whole thing. I don't think that's what he intended, but as others have pointed out, critical thinking does not appear to be one of his strong points, and as such he keeps falling head-first into traps of his own making.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Bumper's friend is named "Stunt.". Good points all. I don't think Mookie was trying to make any commentary about real-life American Indian tribes, he just gave the orcs those superficial trappings since that's how they're portrayed in world of warcraft.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

catlord posted:

You know, one thing that gets me, when Mookie decides to bring up sexual assault (intentionally as a dramatic moment, so not counting stuff where we go 'wait, isn't that super non-consensual' but he obviously never thought of that, or when he plays it for laughs) it's not just that I feel his handling of the subject is incredibly poorly, tastelessly done, but then the context and background makes it way worse. Like, Bumper (Bumper? And Stout? I keep on wanting to say Bumper and Snout, but that's just me thinking literally anything would give Legacy the kick it needs to not be boring as poo poo), that's also where it's definitely, 100% established that he's Black, and that was obviously intentional to a degree, though I'm not sure if Mookie thought he'd established that fact well enough or not. Either way, it was a surprise to most people, and gave the event weird and super uncomfortable layers to it. Then with this, we have the orcs obviously heavily inspired by Native American cultures, who have been consistently given 'noble savage' traits, which to my mind at least puts another gross layer on top of the whole thing. I don't think that's what he intended, but as others have pointed out, critical thinking does not appear to be one of his strong points, and as such he keeps falling head-first into traps of his own making.

This is actually what fascinates me about Mookie, that I saw in star power and inspired me to come back and look at DD. The space elves are anothe example of this, where the parallels to Palestine in particular are impossible to ignore. Mookie weaves these extremely problematic allusions to the real world everywhere in his work.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Bumper's friend is named "Stunt.". Good points all. I don't think Mookie was trying to make any commentary about real-life American Indian tribes, he just gave the orcs those superficial trappings since that's how they're portrayed in world of warcraft.

Right, but the choice to make the orcs incredibly backwards with regards to gender (something that is part of the general American prejudice to any culture they perceive as "backwards") was his. Just like Szark's whole sexuality and everything in Erossus was at once cliche and also deeply weird and problematic, because Mookie worked in his weird perspective/fetishes into it.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 20, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The Little Death posted:

Right, but the choice to make the orcs incredibly backwards with regards to gender (something that is part of the general American prejudice to any culture they perceive as "backwards") was his. Just like Szark's whole sexuality and everything in Erossus was at once cliche and also deeply weird and problematic, because Mookie worked in his weird perspective/fetishes into it.

Yeah, I phrased it badly. You're right and I agree with you.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

The Little Death posted:

I mean, especially in a D&D world, why would any culture consider women 'worthless'? Even if you accept that women are at a physical disadvantage compared to men (not always true in the world the real world, and totally false in the D&D one - where women and men have identical attribute adjustments) any society that devalues women is cutting themselves off from one half of their potential reality-warping, army-killing superhumans. Nothing exists to indicate that magic is sexist, presumably there is an equal number of magic users of both sexes.

Like... doesn't every other orc tribe have twice the number of airbenders that the Doma Clan has? Wouldn't their 'hidebound' traditions have fallen by the wayside as soon as they started getting stomped by groups who managed to figure out math?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

You make good points, but for that to happen, Mookie would need to give women agency in the comic, and that never happens. The closest we get is Miranda, and even then, everything she does is to abuse her positions of power and influence to make Dominic's life easier or remove obstacles on his behalf, so I don't think it really counts.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I thought Mookie was a teenager when he wrote that horrid poo poo so I thought, "Well, we were all shitheads as teens, so maybe he'll learn from it." Then I learned he was in his 20s and I was like what the gently caress

what the poo poo does "ilka tuk tak" mean

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Generic swearing noises.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

It means "help me, I'm stuck in a terrible comic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

As far anything on panel shows, the rape was literally the only interaction between the two in their lives.