Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That price is straight up bonkers. It should be in line with the sony flagship 1000s with maybe a $30 apple tax on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

I mean Schiit sells an $850 amp for headphones that doesn't include any headphones. The ceiling for audio equipment is sky high and Apple isn't targeting folks who buy their headphones at Walmart. There's always a price shock when a new Apple product is announced. I remember folks saying the original AirPods were too expensive to sell in mass market.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah but are they better than Sony wh-1000xm4's which sell for half the price?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Zero One posted:

Yeah but are they better than Sony wh-1000xm4's which sell for half the price?
I think it's more instructive to compare it to high-end Sennheiser which is absolute luxury tier. It's a luxury brand, and the high price is going to lead many to think it's better than other products on that account alone.

Hell if I'll ever buy one, but as a long-time Sennheiser user, I'm desensitized to this kind of pricing. Hell, my headphones which are probably a decade old by now probably still cost around the same now as they did back then.

I do hope this kills "audiophile", though, god I hate that word.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Endless Mike posted:

This is an HDMI-CEC thing. eARC is the updated version of ARC that allows uncompressed sound to be sent over the ARC connection, and requires HDMI 2.1 which your AppleTV does not have.
I see! And lol, just realized my previous TV does the exact same thing and I never knew it. I guess with a soundbar in the mix I never spent much time with the included TV remote.

Old TV is gonna have a good second life in the bedroom (still equipped with an Apple TV), so better I discover this now then never! Guess I just got real lucky with HDMI-CEC, since I'm always hearing how flakey it is.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ufarn posted:

This was probably the teased announcement:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1336303431452151812

Direct link: https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/8/21438042/apple-max-studio-noise-canceling-headphones-price-date

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Violator posted:

I mean Schiit sells an $850 amp for headphones that doesn't include any headphones. The ceiling for audio equipment is sky high and Apple isn't targeting folks who buy their headphones at Walmart. There's always a price shock when a new Apple product is announced. I remember folks saying the original AirPods were too expensive to sell in mass market.

Why would the Jontunheim come with headphones?

I’m just sad I can’t use the AirPods Max’s with my fav little amp. But I am tempted.

Apple will sell a ton of these to people who had or wanted beats X number of years ago.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Well my Apple TV HD lives to see another day. Won’t upgrade until a new unit is released.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
What the gently caress is this Fitness app?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's for the Fitness+ service if you have an Apple Watch.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does it work on the TV if you don’t have a watch? It seems like Apple should be willing to take your money just for the workouts.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From memory the iphone/ipad app works standalone but the Apple TV needs a watch to sync up. I think they'll be making adjustments down the line on this kind of stuff, as I know you can't AirPlay it from the phone to a non-Apple device currently.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/free-apple-fitness-for-2-months-new-subscribers-only/ if you have a regular best buy account you can get an extra month for free too.

e: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/12/14/apple-fitness-plus-iphone-ipad-no-watch/ yeah looks like my memory worked for a change.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Is anyone else having trouble with the TV app since the latest update? I keep finding the TV app’s “up next” section blank, and finding that I need to sign back in to my iTunes Store account.

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
Having problems with iTunes Match on my Apple TV HD - it will play matched songs from playlists but not from album view or recently added view. Anyone else have this problem?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any way to “hand-off” Apple Music from your phone to the TV? I can Airplay but I can’t use the TV screen to control it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

smackfu posted:

Is there any way to “hand-off” Apple Music from your phone to the TV? I can Airplay but I can’t use the TV screen to control it.

In Apple Music, push the button that looks like 2 concentric blue circles with an arrow under them and select your ATV.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
There’s two ways that I’ve found. Jokes outlined one, you can also say “Hey Siri, play this on (apple tv’s name) and it will stream it through the Apple TV but the phone remains the “playing” device.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is it just me I can't seem to connect 3 xbox one controllers to my ATV-4K. I can connect any 2 of the 3 I have but if 2 are connected the 3rd won't.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Is it just me I can't seem to connect 3 xbox one controllers to my ATV-4K. I can connect any 2 of the 3 I have but if 2 are connected the 3rd won't.

Maybe a dumb question, but does the third controller have Bluetooth? Older Xbone controllers don't.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but does the third controller have Bluetooth? Older Xbone controllers don't.

Yeah the first gen ones without the headphone Jack on the bottom don’t have BT.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Vince MechMahon posted:

All 3 are the newer type. They all have the headphone jack too. I'm able to connect all of them one at a time just not all 3 at the same time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

jokes posted:

In Apple Music, push the button that looks like 2 concentric blue circles with an arrow under them and select your ATV.

Wow, don’t know why I didn’t realize that Airplay to the Apple TV was so different than Airplay to speakers. Thanks!

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Shaocaholica posted:

All 3 are the newer type. They all have the headphone jack too. I'm able to connect all of them one at a time just not all 3 at the same time.

Pretty sure the Apple TV had 3 Bluetooth channels only, and one is used by the remote. So maybe if you can disconnect the remote and use an IR you could get 3?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Everything I read said 4 controllers should work and at the very least it has 4 channels

Remote
Keyboard
2 controllers

Tbh it should be working though

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

You can try updating the controller firmware if you haven't already.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Inept posted:

You can try updating the controller firmware if you haven't already.

Huh you can do this how?

e: Oh I need an xbox or PC.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok I updated my 3 xbox one controllers on a PC over USB. They were all version 3.x firmware and the latest was 4.x. The PC software seemed like it wasn't coded correctly to handshake during the FW update. I thought I bricked it when it failed before 100%. Then when I plugged it back in it said the controller wasn't working and needed to be firmware updated immediately. But after running the FW update again it said again the FW update wasn't successful but when I plugged back in the 2nd time it was detected and on a newer FW. I assume the xbox update experience is better.

And I was able to get all 3 paired with my ATV-4K. The first 2 paired quickly but the 3rd took a long time to show up under bluetooth devices and failed the first attempt at pairing but succeeded on the 3rd. Not sure if the FW update on the controllers did anything maybe I just wasn't trying hard enough the first time but it definitely wasn't the smoothest experience. Never the less all 3 controllers were verified working in a multiplayer game.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you put the Apple Music app in the top row, it shows an interface to start playing music video playlists. But the quality of the videos is garbage, they don’t even seem widescreen. Anyone else see this? Might need an Apple Music subscription.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

smackfu posted:

If you put the Apple Music app in the top row, it shows an interface to start playing music video playlists. But the quality of the videos is garbage, they don’t even seem widescreen. Anyone else see this? Might need an Apple Music subscription.

Just tried and they are fullscreen for me. TV says it's getting 4K video (though I suppose it's possible the ATV is up-resing). I do have Apple Music.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks for looking. Yeah, it’s working fine for me now too. Must have been a temporary bandwidth issue on my end.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just tried the new physics based puzzle game “Spire Blast” on appleTV, it’s an arcade game and great fun on my XS.

Woof it rans horribly on my ATV, it’s the non 4K version. Really needs a cpu bump!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Apple really needs to update the Apple TV. 4K works well, but it’s been out over 2 years so I don’t exactly want to update my other Apple TV to it at this point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it wasn’t for stupid tech site clickbait rumors based on nothing, nobody would be clamoring for a new version. The only thing it’s missing is the new hdmi standard, which isn’t exactly considered working and reliable right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

If it wasn’t for stupid tech site clickbait rumors based on nothing, nobody would be clamoring for a new version. The only thing it’s missing is the new hdmi standard, which isn’t exactly considered working and reliable right now.

priznat posted:

Just tried the new physics based puzzle game “Spire Blast” on appleTV, it’s an arcade game and great fun on my XS.

Woof it rans horribly on my ATV, it’s the non 4K version. Really needs a cpu bump!

:hmmyes:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That's the non4K version, which came out 5 years ago. If you want a CPU bump then uhh.... buy the 4K that's been out for 3 years?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
*using my 2015 MacBook Pro and it's kinda slow sometimes*

drat they really need to come out with a faster MacBook!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I think if apple keeps pushing Arcade they definitely need the ATV rev. Arcade is actually a really good solution for gaming with kids, with a bunch of really fun family friendly games.

It has displaced the switch for us which never was that good for kids, apart from mario kart there aren’t a lot of games that younger kids can play. Even that 2d super mario where they can be nabbit is a stretch.

Sneaky Sasquatch, butter royale and the lego brawl are all fun for kids though. Getting arcade as a freebie in the One plan is basically a bonus.

Violator
May 15, 2003

priznat posted:

It has displaced the switch for us which never was that good for kids, apart from mario kart there aren’t a lot of games that younger kids can play. Even that 2d super mario where they can be nabbit is a stretch.

Sneaky Sasquatch, butter royale and the lego brawl are all fun for kids though. Getting arcade as a freebie in the One plan is basically a bonus.

Wow, I’m surprised. I’m guessing your kids use a controller? I can’t imagine little hands swiping through games very well using the Siri controller.

Yeah, the non-4K is smashed dog poo poo now. The UI hiccups so much in Plex and other apps that it can be a crappy experience. The 4K is worth it just for the smoother UX experience.

Edit: Not to be a weirdo, but when did your kids start playing video games? My little dude is only a few months old but he’s noticing screens and is obsessed with touching my Apple Watch during breakfast. I’m not against screen usage, especially now since we don’t leave the house very much, but he’s got a while to go before he gets any sort of coordination.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Violator posted:

Wow, I’m surprised. I’m guessing your kids use a controller? I can’t imagine little hands swiping through games very well using the Siri controller.

Yeah, the non-4K is smashed dog poo poo now. The UI hiccups so much in Plex and other apps that it can be a crappy experience. The 4K is worth it just for the smoother UX experience.

Edit: Not to be a weirdo, but when did your kids start playing video games? My little dude is only a few months old but he’s noticing screens and is obsessed with touching my Apple Watch during breakfast. I’m not against screen usage, especially now since we don’t leave the house very much, but he’s got a while to go before he gets any sort of coordination.

Yeah, the HD is really old but the 4K is getting long in the tooth too so I’m not super keen on getting one with a cpu 3-4 years old. I haven’t noticed too many Plex hiccups thankfully, and video playback is fine.

Screens are like magnets for kids, mine got scary adept at using an ipad by like, 2. Now the 8 year old can operate the appletv pretty well. The trickiest thing is moderating the screen use because it is such a crutch to get some drat peace and quiet :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Has anyone else has issues with the Apple Music app on the ATV lately? When I play an album, even though the track list is correct with no duplicates, it repeats a song or two on every album.