Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I like how the actor who played Bobba Fett also got fat. I cracked up when I first saw him wearing the armor.

Has anyone said "Bobba Fatt" yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1QudBeGwxI

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 21, 2020

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

there's a really good movie in the hobbit trilogy. i liked the first one a lot. the second one was mostly good. the third one was not very good.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i thought the first one felt like padding: the movie, i can't imagine how much worse the rest were

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the second one was definitely worse, and the third was oh-my-god-why-is-it-still-going-jesus

mystes
May 31, 2006

I hated the first but honestly I didn't really like the LOTR movies either.

Peter Jackson's King Kong was a million times worse though.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
midwest af

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

it is explicitly explained in the tales of the bounty hunters anthology that the sarlacc, which is sentient, absorbs you into its intestinal wall and merges your circulatory and nervous systems with its own. this allows it to keep you alive for hundreds of years, throughout which it communicates with you. you are not strictly digested, as the sarlacc considers conscious beings too valuable to simply consume as food. instead you are gradually absorbed into the sarlacc's consciousness, joining thousands of other minds from eons ago.

god

i read this book and remember exactly 0 things from it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
all the hobbit movies are heavily padded, by the end they’re mostly fanfic

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

infernal machines posted:

i thought the first one felt like padding: the movie, i can't imagine how much worse the rest were

yeah i probably would have like the hobbit a lot more if it was just one film

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i read this book and remember exactly 0 things from it

oh man i remember all of em

ig-88 takes over a droid factory and makes many copies of himself and gets installed into the death star computer core, then exploded

zuckuss and 4-LOM just hang out and do nothing and talk to each other; zuckuss is probably force sensitive and the droid doesn't understand it; eventually they join the rebellion because zuckuss needs a healthcare plan

bossk is only hunting han solo because he eats wookiees and wants to eat the most famous wookiee in the galaxy, but he gets foiled by a different wookiee and his plucky human ladyfriend

dengar is a big loser who keeps getting owned by everyone, culminating with boba fett tying him up and leaving him in the desert, but he is also force sensitive and contacts his girlfriend like luke calling leia and she saves him

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Improbable Lobster posted:

there were a number of good bits in it, and there was a lot of tedious stretching the plot because clearly they couldn't do too much in the first movie. it felt like it could have been a good movie though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

haveblue posted:

all the hobbit movies are heavily padded, by the end they’re mostly fanfic

it’s been a long time since i read it, but in the book doesn’t bilbo get knocked out and wake up near the end of the battle of the five armies?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh yeah and in the boba fett story jabba sends leia to him as a sex slave but he's actually a good guy/volcel so they just have a chat.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

haveblue posted:

the accurate barbie movie: barbie goes shopping, rides a horse for a while, suddenly g.i. joe shows up and rips off barbie's head

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Improbable Lobster posted:

like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_JMOPCo31M

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

oh man i remember all of em

ig-88 takes over a droid factory and makes many copies of himself and gets installed into the death star computer core, then exploded

zuckuss and 4-LOM just hang out and do nothing and talk to each other; zuckuss is probably force sensitive and the droid doesn't understand it; eventually they join the rebellion because zuckuss needs a healthcare plan

bossk is only hunting han solo because he eats wookiees and wants to eat the most famous wookiee in the galaxy, but he gets foiled by a different wookiee and his plucky human ladyfriend

dengar is a big loser who keeps getting owned by everyone, culminating with boba fett tying him up and leaving him in the desert, but he is also force sensitive and contacts his girlfriend like luke calling leia and she saves him

does zuckuss drive a prius

does dengar drive a dump truck

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

this movie is still great. i loved that sting and glowing bottle when i was a kid

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Xaris posted:

this movie is still great. i loved that sting and glowing bottle when i was a kid
despite the fact that it was made for a shoestring budget for cbs tv, and is only 72 minutes long, it manages to do everything right that the jackson trilogy did wrong

in that 72 minutes they manage to fit in the whole plot of the book (except for beorn) and even find time for a bunch of 70s folk music interludes

a lot of the work was farmed out to the japanese animation studio topcraft - many employees of which would go on to found studio ghibli after topcraft went bankrupt

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the hobbit movies were great as long as you remembered to get up for a sandwich every time legolas or the elf girl was on screen

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

this is the best hobbit movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91zUQxAQRHA

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Truman Peyote posted:

does zuckuss drive a prius

does dengar drive a dump truck

Man I was gonna make the reference too but I didn't think anyone else would get it.

PUT BOSSK ON A SEGWAY
PUT HIM ON A GOD drat SEGWAY

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
all the story beats in the hobbit are off because it was designed for 2 movies and then stretched into 3 so they had to make it work somehow

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
My hobbit story is from when one of my wife's office mates in grad school invited us over to watch the first to prep for release of the second, and as a LotR fan it sounded like a good time, and I fell asleep on her couch for most of it. I just remember being in and out of sleep for the action scenes that ran way too long and lacked any dramatic weight. Never gonna watch the rest based on that experience.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the problem with the hobbit is too many dwarves. 5 or 6 of them literally don't do anything. the one with the axe in his head, what does he add to the story? do you even remember his name?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
have to one-up snow white somehow

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sweevo posted:

the problem with the hobbit is too many dwarves. 5 or 6 of them literally don't do anything. the one with the axe in his head, what does he add to the story? do you even remember his name?
https://twitter.com/kennethlogins/status/761572921349398528?s=21

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

they names are from Völuspá!!!!!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol there's a Jemsin book on the Kindle cheap deal today

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T4SW594

Lets take a look at the low-score reviews

quote:

Broadly to be a good character in this novel you must be more than one of: LGBTQ++; ethnic minority; female; foreign; left-wing. In general the following are bad or very bad: NYPD and other authority figures; white people; men; people or boroughs voting Republican (adios Staten Island!);

But it's basically a racist rant. Every villain is white, and worse if male. There's no character development beyond pure identity politics, on every drat page.

Every single non-white character is cool, every single white character is racist, narrow-minded, prejudiced and even outright evil. The monster is white (this is repeated so many times that it almost gets nailed to your brain). The only borough that sides with the monster (and whose avatar is all of the above plus feeble-minded) is… well, white again.

Exceedingly mad.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm going to risk this being declared 'not anime'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H48GPv4BZI

if i lose the bet, we all still win and i'll be back later today

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Exceedingly mad.

lol all the movie user reviews for new things on the internet is the same way, complaining about making "diversity-driven" movies and shoving the 2slgbtq+ communities or PoC in your face instead of just putting them in movies you wouldn't watch

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
lgbtq++: gender is an object

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

haveblue posted:

lgbtq++: gender is a monad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
invalid lvalue in gender expression

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Exceedingly mad.
reading one-star amazon reviews of acknowledged classics is always good for a laugh

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm going to risk this being declared 'not anime'

if i lose the bet, we all still win and i'll be back later today

i didnt need to watch a 10 minute retelling of eva

but im glad i did lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1341090052609351680

this poo poo sucks

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dang that does suck. I've never seen final destination and don't plan on it but that's very dumb

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
they cut out the joke about him getting hanged, but left in him getting hanged? wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

if you read the article it's 100% conjecture, they made up something to be mad about to drive clicks