Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Beachcomber posted:

If it worked that way, hyperspace would have been weaponized already.

No one thought of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
In episode 2F09 when Itchy plays Scratchy’s skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic xylophone or something?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Kamikaze tactics are generally not employed on a whim

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

And, historically, they're not very effective.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The Empire built a huge gently caress-off WMD and put its pilots into death traps with guns strapped to them, they absolutely would have sent volunteers to hyperdrive ram poo poo out of the sky.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Had that become a tactic used by both sides, they could do that poo poo to planets and moons with autopiloted ships and there’d be nothing left of the galaxy after all the mutually assured destruction.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maxwell Lord posted:

This one was.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

The Empire built a huge gently caress-off WMD and put its pilots into death traps with guns strapped to them, they absolutely would have sent volunteers to hyperdrive ram poo poo out of the sky.

Ah but why would they since they were always winning, up until the point where they weren't

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Ah but why would they since they were always winning, up until the point where they weren't

Because it's fun?

Like Sheev wouldn't go "Hahaha look my Moffs, that rebel cruiser got cut in half!"

edit: like, poo poo just replace the stupid fleet in RoS with Lightspeed Ram TIEs. Sheev can call them his little deat stars.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 21, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/CinemaboxT/status/1340077985546854401?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5DMMTuwQhs

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

They’d just use slaves, I mean, droids.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

Lol why even volunteers, just use a droid.

^^efb

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 21, 2020

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

My bad, I should have put volunteers in airquotes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Droids cost money.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

GlassEye-Boy posted:

^^efb

clone wars cartoon had an episode where separatists hijack a republic cruiser and send it on a suicide mission loaded with space-uranium to blow up a whole republic fleet - if you start nitpicking then you'd definetely wonder why the whole war wasn't fought this way especially since one side had an advantage in the number of disposable troops
but a lot of stuff in star wars falls apart this way because it is just WW2 with lasers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

fatherboxx posted:

clone wars cartoon had an episode where separatists hijack a republic cruiser and send it on a suicide mission loaded with space-uranium to blow up a whole republic fleet - if you start nitpicking then you'd definetely wonder why the whole war wasn't fought this way especially since one side had an advantage in the number of disposable troops
but a lot of stuff in star wars falls apart this way because it is just WW2 with lasers

Suicide bomb ships have real world precedent at least.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
It looked radical and film is ultimately a visual medium

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Lid posted:

Was watching a video on youtube and a trailer started autoplaying, usually I'd skip but for some reason I got serious MOON vibes from the start and watching it and... it looks pretty good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdiI9WbuC2k

Anyone know anything more on this?

Amazon has it for free if you have Prime. The writer/director was the visual effects supervisor for Moon, which is why it's got a similar look. The sci-fi ideas its working with are very familiar, and Theo James is no Sam Rockwell, but it's an alright enough little movie.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

fatherboxx posted:

iirc the clone wars also had an episode where a ship was destroyed by reprogramming its navigation system to force it to jump to hyperspace with a planet directly in its path

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Avatar has good politics but is very ok at best and True Lies has pretty lovely politics but is a blast.

Naw, True Lies is completely brought to its knees by the interrogation and hotel room scenes. They play like a Lars von Trier reel spliced right into the middle of what is otherwise a fine action romp.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Eggnogium posted:

Naw, True Lies is completely brought to its knees by the interrogation and hotel room scenes. They play like a Lars von Trier reel spliced right into the middle of what is otherwise a fine action romp.

For me "Take off your nylons" is up there with "I'll be back", "Who is your daddy and what does he do?" or "The pump is as satisfying to me as cumming is, you know, as in having sex with a woman and cumming"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

aware of dog posted:

iirc the clone wars also had an episode where a ship was destroyed by reprogramming its navigation system to force it to jump to hyperspace with a planet directly in its path

What happens to the inhabitants of that planet?

Extinction level event?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Failed Imagineer posted:

For me "Take off your nylons" is up there with "I'll be back", "Who is your daddy and what does he do?" or "The pump is as satisfying to me as cumming is, you know, as in having sex with a woman and cumming"

I was saying "Do it doucement" for years after it came out.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
"You're fired" outside of the Trump context is a special one for me; there was a True Lies SNES game (which was actually pretty decent), and at the end, when you kill Aziz, there's a very nice digitized shot of him soaring through the air, attached to the missile.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

"You're fired" outside of the Trump context is a special one for me; there was a True Lies SNES game (which was actually pretty decent), and at the end, when you kill Aziz, there's a very nice digitized shot of him soaring through the air, attached to the missile.

Now I wonder if Trump got the idea of saying that from watching True Lies.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

GlassEye-Boy posted:

^^efb

R2-D2 seems to be the only competent droid.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/blueammon/status/1338203920477220865?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wait the Michael Bay pandemic movie is out already?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
My favorite part about bad Michael Bay productions is it doesnt matter who actually wrote or directed it, theyll still blame Bay and the writer and directors will get off scott free because no one actually remembers any other names associated with it.

Ive had to inform more than a handful of people over the years that Michael Bay did not direct the new TMNT movies.

Even his money has a bad reputation.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/thewrap/status/1341160139349516289?s=21
Welcome to the Disney family, Mr Bond

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

AccountSupervisor posted:

My favorite part about bad Michael Bay productions is it doesnt matter who actually wrote or directed it, theyll still blame Bay and the writer and directors will get off scott free because no one actually remembers any other names associated with it.

Ive had to inform more than a handful of people over the years that Michael Bay did not direct the new TMNT movies.

Even his money has a bad reputation.

I mean, his movies make a lot of money and are occasionally really good. It's just a special subpopulation of nerds who hate Bay because he doesn't cater to their nostalgia in just the way they want it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

I mean this would be sad but MGM's basically a shell of itself anyway. (I'd actually expect Sony to be the buyer since they've got a big stake in them already.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blumhouse is working on another Exorcist film

https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1341168826407407617?s=20

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean this would be sad but MGM's basically a shell of itself anyway. (I'd actually expect Sony to be the buyer since they've got a big stake in them already.)

yea sad to hear but MGM's been limping along for a bit, and yea I'd assume Sony would be the one to swallow them up from the inside like one of those nasty rear end wasp parasites.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
It says a lot about the industry that getting gobbled up by Sony is the least-bad option at this point, but gently caress I do not want to see Disney owning Bond.

Though at least Disney might be a bit reluctant to pursue any multi-billion dollar deals for a while with the way the pandemics been hitting them.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Just had the horrific thought of the Bond franchise being reduced into a fast food chain. Octopussy burgers served with Goldfinger fries, topped off with a creamy Maxshake

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Is AT&T/WarnerMedia still buying up stuff? Reboot Stargate on HBO Max.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Give Stargate to Ridley Scott.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Taintrunner posted:

Just had the horrific thought of the Bond franchise being reduced into a fast food chain. Octopussy burgers served with Goldfinger fries, topped off with a creamy Maxshake

You don’t want to visit James Bond world at Disney and take a ride with 007?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Give Stargate to Ridley Scott Neil Blomkamp.