Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

vortmax posted:

I think that's the feeling of the Tether printer going brrrrrrrrrr

Or it's the gorilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I kinda wonder how the people buying drugs feel. Like, on the one hand they've gotta put in a bit more USD now because the transfer fees cost more in terms of USD, but then again if they have any leftover BTC it's worth more USD (and thus, more drugs) for future purchases.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

LanceHunter posted:

I kinda wonder how the people buying drugs feel. Like, on the one hand they've gotta put in a bit more USD now because the transfer fees cost more in terms of USD, but then again if they have any leftover BTC it's worth more USD (and thus, more drugs) for future purchases.

Today. Another crash is coming soon and then all that $$ is gone.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
In theory, drug users should buy no drugs now cause if number goes up, they could buy more drugs tomorrow

But the same would be true tomorrow, and the next day, and......

Hmm maybe this isn't a very good currency after all!

Bitcoin accidentally solves drug abuse by replacing it with chasing a different dragon

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
nah, if we are talking in the context of drug abuse/addicts then it either

At loss, Makes them lose or not have access to all their money, so they need to get dangerous to get a fix
At neutral, Provides them easy access to drugs so they abuse harder.
At profit, Makes them make a bunch of money, so they get ultra hosed up.

In the drug context, Bitcoin was only ever useful for bespoke artisanal recreational drug use. Hard to find local or generally rare items and bulk stock of regular ones. It still provided a complete history of every transaction and led to a bunch of people getting busted. I'm sure you can use Tor to make contacts and get the same thing with regular funds.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 18, 2020

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

the darknet markets are switching to Monero as preferred currency anyway.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Soap Scum posted:

the darknet markets are switching to Monero as preferred currency anyway.

all cryptocurrencies are more or less dependent on bitcoin’s value changes so the same questions still apply

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Anyone say buttcoin yet?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Anyone say buttcoin yet?

not that i know of. is there such a word? it seems implausible.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1340588909974200321

BITCOIN IS CRASHING SELL SELL SELL

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ironically if btc had stayed at a static ~$10 a piece it would probably be a fairly usable and accessible alternative currency at this point. in the universe where all goons DID buy bitcoin, instead of making fun of it, it can be used to buy cheetos and mtnDEW wholesale from the manufacturer.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
if btc had stayed at $10 a piece a lot of places that no longer accept it still would, and a lot more places might accept it than currently do without the intermediary fakeness

rip meze grill

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
But guys this way it can break capitalism and usher in a new age! The value will increase forever because I know how numbers work! All good currencies have a transaction rate limit that you can count on two hands!

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Rectal Death Adept posted:

nah, if we are talking in the context of drug abuse/addicts then it either

At loss, Makes them lose or not have access to all their money, so they need to get dangerous to get a fix
At neutral, Provides them easy access to drugs so they abuse harder.
At profit, Makes them make a bunch of money, so they get ultra hosed up.

In the drug context, Bitcoin was only ever useful for bespoke artisanal recreational drug use. Hard to find local or generally rare items and bulk stock of regular ones. It still provided a complete history of every transaction and led to a bunch of people getting busted. I'm sure you can use Tor to make contacts and get the same thing with regular funds.

im super curious what you are basing most of this on, apart from the transactions being recorded on the blockchain and people getting busted?

ComeOnInGoons
Dec 21, 2020

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuevUmShv0Q

One thing I don't get is if Price Go Up = Intrinsic Value then how can true believers ignore something like penny stocks. The ONLY argument anyone ever has for the majesty of bitcoins is that they are worth more money than they used to be. They have proven to be useless when the blockchain tries to actually process their trades, requiring exchanges to bypass it completely to allow for the actual high speed gambling that drives the price, and they are used to buy illegal goods in extremely traceable ways which is inferior to cash.
Bitcoin isn't just about money. It's about creating a less violent, less authoritarian world.

Also, I made a discord: https://discord.gg/BfRuutn2cJ

ComeOnInGoons fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 21, 2020

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ComeOnInGoons posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuevUmShv0Q

Bitcoin isn't just about money. It's about creating a less violent, less authoritarian world.

Also, I made a discord: https://discord.gg/BfRuutn2cJ

Bicoin, famously brought into the mainstream by Ross 'Peace and Love' Ulbricht ordering a hit with them :allears:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
was 6 discords not enough?

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Bicoin, famously brought into the mainstream by Ross 'Peace and Love' Ulbricht ordering a hit with them :allears:

also see Bruce "Pure Unconditional Non-judgmental Love Man" Wagner, who strangely had the exact same kind of age of consent issues Seraph did

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Somfin posted:

But guys this way it can break capitalism and usher in a new age! The value will increase forever because I know how numbers work! All good currencies have a transaction rate limit that you can count on two hands!

Capitalism is, like, only in our brains, man. To break capitalism we just need to break our brains.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ComeOnInGoons posted:

Then why do you spend so much time bragging about your fake wealth and so little of that wealth helping others

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Crime on a Dime posted:

im super curious what you are basing most of this on, apart from the transactions being recorded on the blockchain and people getting busted?

what am i basing the behavior of drug addicts on?

the way they act when they want drugs?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://markets.businessinsider.com/currencies/news/bitcoin-price-volatile-after-record-breaking-surge-ledger-hack-2020-12-1029911258

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it's a bit early for that. Once it goes below 10k again, maybe. I mean, it's still higher than it was just a few days ago.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If it does another 6% plunge tomorrow then it's time to really put some velocity on that coaster, because then idiots who jumped in will start thinking they got taken for a ride (they are).

Unironically, smarter brains are predicting a drop of 20-30% or more around end of December/early January based on how quick the price rose, it's overbought, so it's overvalued severely. If idiots who jumped in get panicky then it can oversell and then plunge off a cliff where it suddenly loses 60% of its "value", and then the popcorn comes out.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 22, 2020

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The SEC has sued Ripple Labs, XRP is in the toilet, and exchanges are already delisting it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

This is good for bitcoin because

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Also, paypal and cashapp both tried to sell me buttcoins today when I unlocked my phone to check my text messages. I can't wait for butts to crash hard so that stops.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

orange juche posted:

The government has decided it is a security, thus your money is secure in it. duh. wrap it up nocoiners

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Ripple was always one of my favorite cryptocurrencies.

See Ripple is a company with plenty of bank partnerships. Bank Of America, American express among others. These partnerships were because of the company developing technology for digital money transfers between banks.

Ripple, the cryptocurrency distributed by this company, has literally nothing to do with any of that. Yet it's price continued to skyrocket every time the company announced a new development with the actual work it was doing that was completely unrelated to the useless cryptocurrency it also distributed.

Everyone flooding into XRP and turning into true believers where they defend it against all criticism while extolling it's virtues simply because they assumed the cryptocurrency=the company were a barometer for the overall stupidity of the cryptocurrency true believer demographic and the forces they exert on the market. If they are stupid enough to turn this into a top 5 cryptocurrency, with supposedly a fifty to one hundred billion dollar market cap for no reason then they are definitely going to put upward pressure on the price of something equally as useless as bitcoins.

This is also one of the cases where buying stock in the company would make more sense. Stock would at least be related to the actual company activities and advances. With the cryptocurrency you may as well be buying the CEO's discarded trash bags. Yeah it's technically something the company is putting out, so if the company does well then the discarded trash must be doing better. Therefore one bag of trash = $10,000 so the market cap of the CEO's trash is fifty trillion dollars.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 24, 2020

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
it's even better than that - they didn't have those products originally. They only had the XRP. The entire thing of selling a few million dollars' software to banks was a promotional scheme for XRP. This is detailed in the SEC complaint.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Ripple was always one of my favorite cryptocurrencies.

See Ripple is a company with plenty of bank partnerships. Bank Of America, American express among others. These partnerships were because of the company developing technology for digital money transfers between banks.

Ripple, the cryptocurrency distributed by this company, has literally nothing to do with any of that. Yet it's price continued to skyrocket every time the company announced a new development with the actual work it was doing that was completely unrelated to the useless cryptocurrency it also distributed.

Everyone flooding into XRP and turning into true believers where they defend it against all criticism while extolling it's virtues simply because they assumed the cryptocurrency=the company were a barometer for the overall stupidity of the cryptocurrency true believer demographic and the forces they exert on the market. If they are stupid enough to turn this into a top 5 cryptocurrency, with supposedly a fifty to one hundred billion dollar market cap for no reason then they are definitely going to put upward pressure on the price of something equally as useless as bitcoins.

This is also one of the cases where buying stock in the company would make more sense. Stock would at least be related to the actual company activities and advances. With the cryptocurrency you may as well be buying the CEO's discarded trash bags. Yeah it's technically something the company is putting out, so if the company does well then the discarded trash must be doing better. Therefore one bag of trash = $10,000 so the market cap of the CEO's trash is fifty trillion dollars.

This is basically Tesla stonks right now as well. They've sold a miniscule amount of cars, have some known quality and teething issues, but are, on market capitalisation, ThE bIgGeSt CaR cOmPaNy In ThE wOrLd!!!

All you have to do is convince white people to invest.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The End posted:

This is basically Tesla stonks right now as well. They've sold a miniscule amount of cars, have some known quality and teething issues, but are, on market capitalisation, ThE bIgGeSt CaR cOmPaNy In ThE wOrLd!!!

I like how in the new Teslas it is impossible to open the back doors if the power fails. The earlier models had hidden cables or levers to open them, but the new ones don't even have a Rube Goldberg emergency exit option.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The End posted:

Well, duh. We have all the money!

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Tesla's P/E ratio is 1,311

lol

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

The End posted:

Ingredients for getting white people investments:
  • A white frontman who can talk coherently and has a background in whatever the last big thing was.
  • Local politicians begging to give away as much as possible to these ventures in the name of being able to claim to be "job creators."
  • A slick looking product, doesn't actually need to be an improvement in any tangible way as long as it looks nice.
  • A corporate apparatus that is not above winking and turning their collective heads away from despicable practices by contractors.
  • Being tough on unions (i.e. shuttering shops rather than letting the workers have a say in anything ever).

I miss anything?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

John_A_Tallon posted:

Ingredients for getting white people investments:
  • A white frontman who can talk coherently and has a background in whatever the last big thing was.
  • Local politicians begging to give away as much as possible to these ventures in the name of being able to claim to be "job creators."
  • A slick looking product, doesn't actually need to be an improvement in any tangible way as long as it looks nice.
  • A corporate apparatus that is not above winking and turning their collective heads away from despicable practices by contractors.
  • Being tough on unions (i.e. shuttering shops rather than letting the workers have a say in anything ever).

I miss anything?

A nebulous evil enemy that you can claim is behind any and every attack on you (the fossil fuel industry for Tesla, the (((bankers))) for bitcoin).

Pussy Pounder 9000
Dec 25, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

It's good for Bitcoin because parasatical shitcoins getting sniped off by the SEC pushes more crypto wealth toward the financial singularity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqcLjcSloXs

If they are stupid enough to turn this into a top 5 cryptocurrency, with supposedly a fifty to one hundred billion dollar market cap for no reason then they are definitely going to put upward pressure on the price of something equally as useless as bitcoins.
Imagine thinking this centralized scamcoin is anything like Bitcoin. This post reveals tremendous ignorance about what Bitcoin is - and what scamcoins can never be.

Merry Christmas goons!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the only difference in bitcoin and ripple is that bitcoin has the brand recognition of being the first useless cryptocurrency. All of the idiot wealth being gambled with picks bitcoin 95% of the time because it's the one they have heard of which makes it the most expensive.

If any cryptocurrency ever actually has a use it will immediately replace bitcoins as the top coin.

Pussy Pounder 9000
Dec 25, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

the only difference in bitcoin and ripple is that bitcoin has the brand recognition of being the first useless cryptocurrency.
:wrong:

You really have no clue what you're talking about, not even a little bit. Ripple is literally a scamcoin, with central points of failure.

Now those central points have been attacked, and are, suprise! failing.

If any cryptocurrency ever actually has a use it will immediately replace bitcoins as the top coin.
I'll take "things that will never happen" for $500, Alex.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
you realize the technical semantics about ripple being centralized and bitcoin being de-centralized don't mean anything when both of them are identically useless?

Nobody gives a poo poo that bitcoin is de-centralized, they care that it is "The Cryptocurrency."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

"That wooden nickel is a scam, but this wooden nickel is legit!"