Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I still can't believe Angemon only showed up for the first two minutes of the episode he debuted in and then the focus immediately switches to Metal Greymon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We have our preview for Break the Chain, the new insert song, and it's just as good as the ones before. Adventure: does a lot wrong, but man, it does not miss when it comes to battle songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYI8Eq8o8cc

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

We have our preview for Break the Chain, the new insert song, and it's just as good as the ones before. Adventure: does a lot wrong, but man, it does not miss when it comes to battle songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYI8Eq8o8cc

Merchandise is where the money is and music is definitely a key component for merch.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah but at the end of the day no one's going to want your merch if they don't like the show

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Has the general consensus about this show really reversed that much? I mean don’t get me wrong; I have the same complaints about the lack of focus on the other kids but I’m still enjoying it a lot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Going off some of the other places I lurk around it seems a lot of people at this point are mostly watching for the following reasons;

1) the introduction of new Digimon and forms

2) obscure favorites making their anime debuts(or at least first appearances in years or even decades in some cases)

3) a vague sense of obligation cause no one wants the dark periods the franchise had between Savers and Xros Wars or Xros Wars and Appmon to happen again

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Maybe I’m just easy to please. I’ve definitely been enjoying it more than 02, Frontier, and Xros Wars so far. It’s kinda on the level of early Adventure for me, maybe? Or early Savers. It’s nothing revolutionary and there isn’t as much downtime or character development, but the action is generally pretty good, the characters are still fun and I’m interested in where the plot is headed. It’s kind of like comfort food I guess. It’s kind of been spinning it’s wheels recently, but I’m assuming things will pick up now that Hikari’s more involved.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Adventure: isn't terrible. It's still better than Frontier, Hunters or Tri. It's just not great in general, the characters have little to no characterization, they aren't allowed to interact with each other and change, there's heavy focus on only a few, and every episode for a while has felt like filler but not even good filler that would focus on character development, instead the series feels this weird need to have a battle every episode even when it can't animate them.

It still has really good animation when it can have it, including fight scenes that are amongst the best of the franchise. But it pretty much only has that - from the get-go it was more spectacle than anything, and at this point the spectacle has grown very thin.

It's nowhere near as annoying to watch as the second half of Frontier and the characters are still slightly better than Hunters', not to mention it doesn't feel like an insult to the audience and the franchise in general like Tri and Last Evolution, but it's not great. At this point I'm not willing to even call it better than 02, because 02 had actually pretty good character writing for three out of five characters (the returnees were worthless most of the time and Daisuke was terrible, but Ken is still one of the best characters in the entire franchise and Miyako and Iori were pretty good).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If the show could stop loving exploding every couple of minutes, it'd be in a better place. Let the characters sit around and talk, let them be characterful. Constant non stop action is exhausting.

Though I'm sure some 8 year old kid is marking out about it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
My favorite part is when they added half-step Perfects that we'll probably never see again because its Mega time. Its like they can't make an episode where something's not Digivolving into something brand new.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Bee posted:

My favorite part is when they added half-step Perfects that we'll probably never see again because its Mega time. Its like they can't make an episode where something's not Digivolving into something brand new.

And they didn't even give them to the whole team, because Yamato and Taichi have to be special.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

At this point Adventure 20 is a little bit disappointing.

It flew onto the scene with a lot of pomp and circumstance, it had and still has excellent action chops, there are some fun nods to the longtime fans, and I am still interested in seeing where it goes, but it has absolutely worn thin.

My take is that the series has started to lean far too heavily on the existence and reputation of the original. There is some vague sense to me that the show feels that it doesn't need to really do character work because adventure 99 happened and they did that character work already, and that's frustrating and wrong. First out of the gate that's bad writing, even if this is a remake of the popular series if you aren't going to do the character work you're dropping the ball. Secondly because in the early parts of the show one of the interesting bits was how these AREN'T exactly the same characters as the original 99 cast. They have similar characterization, yes, and you recognize these are supposed to be basically the same people, but Koushirou was introduced as a different and more modern take on a computer geek, Yamato is much further away from Takeru both literally and figuratively, and while Mimi is still Mimi her grandfather and his business and their influence on Mimi create a new perspective on the character.

But we haven't gotten that recently because the show has more or less given up on character writing entirely. In the last couple of episodes at best we've gotten confirmation that yes, these people still exist, but it's not much more than that. The decision to run the show as essentially action wall-to-wall is a bad one because eventually it becomes exhausting and because it wears through the characters. One of the tricks to doing action writing is to make people connect with the main cast and become invested in them. Adventure 20 right now seems to be coasting on previously accumulated goodwill for these characters, and that doesn't last forever. This cast could not maintain goodwill all the way through 02, much less Tri and DALEK. Adventure 20 has so far not offended me like those last two have, but even a Digimon lifer like me has a limit.

I'm still watching the show and I'm still interested in seeing where it goes and what they're going to do with the remaining 37 episodes, but I have cooled on it. I thought and indeed still think that some of the earliest portions of the show were excellent, and I appreciate that they are trying new things, but right now it feels like the show peaked at the Orochimon episode. My sneaking suspicion is that the show is eventually going to have a peak and valley kind of construction, numerous unexciting filler episodes of action in between big action set pieces. I suspect the next episode with WarGreymon is going to be pretty exceptional, but I worry the episodes immediately after it won't be in a mirror to the DanDevimon episode and then the last few that followed it. Just like coasting on goodwill, there are only so many times you can pull a trick like that and have it work.

What the show desperately needs to do is pull the drag chute and do some really serious character work for a couple of episodes before going back in on the hardcore balls to the wall action. Digimon used to actually be good at this, even in the bad parts of Frontier you still had some genuine, honest to god effort to do some character writing before the heroes lost to the Royal Knights again. Hell, Adventure 20 was doing that back when everyone first evolved to Perfect, I will gladly take another episode like the one where they're trying to cross the desert or the one where that Guardromon crushes on Mimi. Those episodes were at least functionally about one of the characters doing a thing or engaging with the thing and we learn something about them.

Related to that point Adventure 20 also needs to figure out what it wants to do with the entire cast. I point out that when Adventure 99 split the party we had numerous important episodes about the individual characters doing things separately, all the attention was not on Taichi and Yamato. When the group split during the Dark Masters arc it was noteworthy that the show spent an episode or two on Jyou and Mimi and did character work with them and gave them something to do separate from the main party. Adventure 20 has struggled with this, only once in the previous arc did it feel like the two groups were separately working towards the same goal (that would be the fight with Neo Devimon). We are not yet as badly done up as late period Frontier, but I'm now genuinely concerned in a way I wasn't even five or six episodes ago.

The tl;dr is that the show is poorly paced. Action alone does not substitute for storytelling and characterization. Spectacle can only stand on its own for so long, at some point you need scenes of people talking and thinking and feeling and emoting. Digimon at its best got this, and so I'm increasingly concerned that Adventure 20 is dropping the ball here. I want to really like this show because I'd love to watch a Digimon series with really great action and spectacle, but the show needs to meet me halfway here. This show really should be better than how it's been shaking out to be.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah but at the end of the day no one's going to want your merch if they don't like the show

The principal audience for this is nominally still children, just reused with the Adventure cast for nostalgia bucks (and allows them to reuse some old assets for merch that they might've had lying around). It definitely doesn't breathe enough, but I can see how it'd keep an 8 year old boy entertained long enough from week to week to make them want toys or pencil cases or w/e of the stuff they saw.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The bits of Digimon I best remember from my childhood are character moments, especially when they end up back in the real world and have to do things like navigate the Tokyo subway, or are in a car ride with strangers, or are celebrating Christmas or discussing the connection between digimon and old folktales.

As for the battles.... lol it was all recycled animation. I remembered action beats but there wasn't much spectacle to actually see. Just some nice music and character design.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ccs posted:

The bits of Digimon I best remember from my childhood are character moments, especially when they end up back in the real world and have to do things like navigate the Tokyo subway, or are in a car ride with strangers, or are celebrating Christmas or discussing the connection between digimon and old folktales.

As for the battles.... lol it was all recycled animation. I remembered action beats but there wasn't much spectacle to actually see. Just some nice music and character design.

Yeah, basically. Digimon has never been a good battle anime. Some are better than others, but in most cases battles are either recycled animation, one hit kills, or both (Appmon especially has some incredibly bad battles that absolutely fall under the "both" category there, I think the only good battles there were Charismon and Leviathan). What Digimon has always excelled at (with Hunters as the very sad exception) is extremely good character writing, with the children never treated as a means to an end (the end being showing the toys) but as genuine people that grow and change, become closer to each other and their partners, learn more about themselves and the world, and end the series very differently from how they started it. Failures have always existed (Hikari and Daisuke come to mind) and the Digimon rarely get the same love (Tamers being a very notable exception, especially with Impmon) but overall Diigmon's strength is, undeniably, character writing, which makes Adventure: all the more frustrating, where the focus seems to be in having epic battles (as much as the budget allows...) instead of characterization.

Someone pointed out that Adventure: seems to expect you to be familiar with the original show and therefore feels no need to focus on the characters, and I think that's 100% correct. Every character lacks the flaws they had originally and feels like they already finished their development, so they have nowhere to go. They don't even interact with each other and feel more like coworkers than friends (something that stings even more because in Adventure they all were friends to begin with and even there they had significantly better dynamics that kept changing as the series went on and the children themselves grew). The big winner here is Mimi: losing her brattiness but keeping her princess-like, ditzy behaviour has made her a lot more enjoyable than she was at the beginning of Adventure while at the same time getting really drat good moments and feeling far more unique than the rest of the, sadly, very bland cast.

The more surprising winner is Takeru really, whose character was changed completely between Adventure and Adventure: and he went from a character I actively disliked (though not in 02, goddamn 02 Takeru is amazing...for all the two episodes he gets to have a personality in) to a character I enjoy the hell out of. That kid has no sense of self-preservation and it's a goddamn wonder he's still alive.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Limited animation doesn't happen because of budget, it happens because of animator availability. Ryo Onishi, Naoki Tate, Atsushi Nikado, and others are why the show looks as good as it does when it can, and all of those animators also work on One Piece, Dragon Quest Adventure of Dai, and Pretty Cure so they can't really be spread too thin.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blockhouse posted:

Limited animation doesn't happen because of budget, it happens because of animator availability. Ryo Onishi, Naoki Tate, Atsushi Nikado, and others are why the show looks as good as it does when it can, and all of those animators also work on One Piece, Dragon Quest Adventure of Dai, and Pretty Cure so they can't really be spread too thin.

I use budget as shorthand but you're right, it's not right and it should not be used that way.

On the topic Dai no Daibouken has been goddamn beautiful so far. You can see where Toei's focusing their best animators.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Yeah I've felt from pretty early on that all the kids had their growth from the original series transplanted into Adventure: and while it does remove the annoying parts of the kids it also gives them nowhere to go with character development here in the current series and that's just a big let down to me.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I agree with the posts here, especially how the show seriously needs to slow down from time to time and focus on the character development and interactions. I'm still liking Adventure: but I can totally see its flaws.

So as not to be completely negative about it, the show does do some things right. The kids don't just stand around during battles and they get to help out occasionally. The Digimons also have more of a personality than they did in the original (see: Agumon not going on about food at all.) There's way less jobbing this time around so everyone gets to contribute in some manner. The stakes are also clearer this time, since we see how Digimons who steal data from the real world can seriously gently caress things up for humans. And all the music so far have been really great, especially how Champion/Ultimate/Mega forms have their own songs.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A youtuber named Billiam made a second video about the Digimon movie yesterday that covers the original shorts and how they were manhandled into a feature film. All 3 of the short films have some fantastic character work in their original forms, especially the ones Hosoda directed. And they actually had the budget for animation that looks amazing, so it's really the best Digimon has or will ever be. It sorta justifies why I rented the VHS so much as a child despite how badly the english version butchered the source material.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Our War Game is a great standalone short anime film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wish they would acknowledge why the kids can take so much punishment in the new series. It wouldn't be difficult- the Digivolution energy they share with their partner shields them- but its one of those glaring things that makes me laugh every time we see them get hit by something that should obliterate them.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alright Hollywood, live action Pokemon was a success. You know what to do.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyWakefiel/status/1341547394941509635

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1341491521959424000?s=20

loving nerds

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Hell yeah

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I'm rewatching 02 with some friends after we finished with Adventure a little while ago. Oh 02, so much potential, just enough good moments and characters to keep you hanging in there, but then it just misses out entirely on what should have been an easy score and shows you a boring piece of filler instead.

One fun thing though is that some people in the group have been watching the dub and some the sub. The episode where Daisuke sees Tortomon taking a massive piss was great to explain.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

That beetle is like :shrug:

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
This sure is a choice they made for the english release.

https://twitter.com/translationmon/status/1341986850106294272

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sleeping Sigma posted:

This sure is a choice they made for the english release.

https://twitter.com/translationmon/status/1341986850106294272

What was its Japanese name?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Larryb posted:

What was its Japanese name?

BabyDmon

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
why would you ever do this willingly

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Although I guess in Japanese if you read it phonetically it is Bebidomon.

It's like what happened with Sukamon. They meant scum but whoever was translating I guess didn't pick up on that.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That looks like a straight machine translation to me. Unfortunate.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Seems like from the unboxings I've seen that the card counts are pretty slanted, too. So ten points to everyone who predicted that the localization would again be an absolute disaster.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

womb with a view posted:

Although I guess in Japanese if you read it phonetically it is Bebidomon.

It's like what happened with Sukamon. They meant scum but whoever was translating I guess didn't pick up on that.

Ah, that makes sense. I've seen it written as BabyD for so long that I never thought about what the original phonetic pronunciation was. I think it would have looked better with the "i" instead of the "y", though.

PMush Perfect posted:

Seems like from the unboxings I've seen that the card counts are pretty slanted, too.

Does this mean that the first release has more cards from set 1 than 2 or 3?

If so, that makes a bit of sense since there is going to be a Special Booster 1.5 coming out in February that I assume would have the rest.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Does this mean that the first release has more cards from set 1 than 2 or 3?

https://twitter.com/translationmon/status/1341987584478613505/photo/1

Slightly.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PMush Perfect posted:

Seems like from the unboxings I've seen that the card counts are pretty slanted, too. So ten points to everyone who predicted that the localization would again be an absolute disaster.

Some people have been speculating that Bandai had no intention on doing long term support for the game outside of Japan and were just treating this as pretty much everything else Digimon related to get released outside of Japan the last couple of years has been with them trying to fleece as much money out of the Western fandom for as little investment or effort on their part as possible

Which has also been their strategy for basically every other franchise of theirs

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen anything about what stores you can buy the English release from come the end of January.

I can pop into the local Walmart or Meijer and get Pokemon/Yu-gi-oh/Magic or whatever, but I'm not sure if they'll have Digimon. Surely the cards won't be limited to those specialty shops from the pre-sale right?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen anything about what stores you can buy the English release from come the end of January.

I can pop into the local Walmart or Meijer and get Pokemon/Yu-gi-oh/Magic or whatever, but I'm not sure if they'll have Digimon. Surely the cards won't be limited to those specialty shops from the pre-sale right?

I don't know much about these things, especially in terms of US retail, but aren't most TCGs smaller than those 3 only stocked in specialist game shops anyway? When the Digimon Card Game's on general release it'll be possible to get it online, at leaat, so it'll be more accessible than in the pre-sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
I suppose so. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to pay for shipping on Digimon stuff for once.

In other news, Bandai has decided to give us Vital Bracelet specs for Christmas: https://withthewill.net/threads/vital-bracelet-faq-includes-various-info-for-tech-app-requirements-etc.25036/

Mildly worrying. I'm not sure what not being drip-proof means, but it seems weird to have an exercise band not be water resistant. Woe be to heavy sweaters.

Also the Dim cards will lock to your device so no sharing. Unused Black Roar cards are gonna be even more expensive. If there ever is an English release you'd have to re-buy all your Dim cards, too.

To use the app you need a BandaiNamco ID which seems easy enough to register for.