Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

/GEET ven/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Some day I will watch more older action movies that I haven't seen instead of brand new action movies that are no good, but that is not this day. Others I watched with the action tag that I didn't think were actually action movies were Echo Boomers (0.5/5), Train to Busan (2/5), and Breach (1/5).

Archenemy (2020) - 2/5
It's a unique movie, but it tried to go too many directions and I was not that interested in the premise to begin with. Archenemy seems like a movie that some people will love and others won't care for, and that's fine. It wasn't exactly for me but I still saw some positives.

The performances of the main four actors (Manganiello, Griggs, Brooks, Howerton) were all very good. Decent action, though not as much of it as I would have wanted.

It does take a little while to get going, which is a drawback when the movie only runs around 84 minutes. I don't know, I'm having trouble thinking of more to say about it. If you can spare that short running time, you might as well check it out for yourself.

12 Rounds 2: Reloaded (2013) - 2/5, Starz
"The Randy One" Randal Keith Orton is a beast, but this is beat-for-beat the same movie as the first one, only with a way lower budget. No reason for it to even exist.

It's weird that Orton is not a cop in this, but that detail does make it a little more interesting. And you get to see him backdrop a cop onto the hood of a cop car.

Army of One (2020) - 1/5
It took three people working together, including the star of the film, to turn in maybe the most atrocious script I've ever seen in a movie. Abysmal depiction of "hillbilly family running a town," to the point that they KEEP SLAVES. Irredeemable, really. And all of the performances by the supporting cast are unwatchable.

About 10 minutes of decent material near the end, to the point that I'd believe they said "let's do the 'get revenge by killing a house full of thugs'" premise and worked backward from there. Highlight was about 2 minutes of single shot action that made me wonder why the whole movie wasn't just that.

Ellen Hollman has some level of charisma and aptitude for action, but go ahead and wait for her to be in a real movie and don't bother with this.

The Intergalactic Adventures of Max Cloud (2020) - 1/5
What if you took Ready Player One, something that is already truly awful, and made it without any of the licensed references?

You get Max Cloud, one of the worst movies of the year. This is a comedy movie without jokes. References aren't jokes. Nostalgia isn't jokes. Where are the jokes?

Also wins the award for "worst use of Scott Adkins," because they put him in this to draw people like me and then gave him approximately 100 seconds of action. Those 100 seconds were really cool. What if that was the whole movie?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
drat that's disappointing, I hate when Adkins gets misused. On the other hand, he probably got a pretty nice payday for it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm watching The Matrix Reloaded because I'd never seen it before. It has made me think about wire work in action films and how I'm not sure I've ever seen it look good. I understand why it gets used but it always looks way too floaty or the wires are too fixed. Like in the first Matrix in the lobby where Neo cartwheels and you can tell he's rotating round a fixed point.

*edit also did Trinity never download any marksmanship training because holy poo poo, girl.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 20, 2020

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I thought that cartwheel looked great. It didn't look real, but it looked cool.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Plenty of wire work looks good, you just don’t notice it. Obvious wire work can also look good when it’s heavily stylized in something like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Rick Geteven is a bad motherfucker and a smooth operator and country singer

E: Imagine a black tanktop vanity project Expendables with Tommy Wiseau, Rick Geteven, and Neil Breen. Who else gets to go?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 20, 2020

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Firstborn posted:

E: Imagine a black tanktop vanity project Expendables with Tommy Wiseau, Rick Geteven, and Neil Breen. Who else gets to go?

Y.K. Kim.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I ended up watching Jiu Jitsu with Nicolas Cage and Tony Ja . It was about what you would expect but it did have some I thought really well done fight scenes and its worth checking out for Nicolas Cage's character alone.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

It's not quite as good, but check out Headshot. Same director, starring Iko Uwais.

Oh hey, I watched this and it wasn't bad. Thanks for the rec. I think I'm going to be checking out the rest of director Timo Tjahjanto's work now, since I've liked the two films of his I've watched this month and I according to Wikipedia he did some of the ABC of Death shorts that I remember being good.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Firstborn posted:

Len K.

Actually that's a bit unfair, at least he has some action talent and isn't just a sideshow exhibit like the previous mentions.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

He doesn't meet up to the standards of the pantheon of WEIRD MEN unless he's not good at anything but believes and invests with an inscrutable amount of money into the idea that he is great in everything

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
I am about to start a Jet li binge. What are some of his movies I should do watch?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

jase1 posted:

I am about to start a Jet li binge. What are some of his movies I should do watch?

The One, obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w9eQ5FABko

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

jase1 posted:

Once Upon a Time in China 1, 3, and maybe 3

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

I knew what scene that was even before I clicked the link

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

jase1 posted:

The Once Upon a Time In China films, as noted
Fist of Legend
Fearless
Hero
His early Shaolin trilogy is not bad either

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

jase1 posted:

For films in a modern setting, check out Kiss of the Dragon and Danny the Dog/Unleashed. Avoid any of his English speaking films made in America. Also, Endless Ocean if you are interested in a drama with zero martial arts.

Edit: or is it called Ocean Heaven? It's something with Ocean in the title.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

quote:

According to Li, once, as a child, when the Chinese National Wushu Team went to perform for President Richard Nixon in the United States, he was asked by Nixon to be his personal bodyguard. Li replied, "I don't want to protect any individual. When I grow up, I want to defend my one billion Chinese countrymen!"[8]

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I recently rewatched Kiss of the Dragon and didn't finish it because it was just way to misogynistic for me. Shocking that a movie written by Luc Besson would be like that I know.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I really liked The Enforcer, i think it's also called My Father, the Hero. The Black Mask was the first movie I saw him in, it was a lot of fun, though pretty goofy.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Narzack posted:

I really liked The Enforcer, i think it's also called My Father, the Hero. The Black Mask was the first movie I saw him in, it was a lot of fun, though pretty goofy.

I remember enjoying My Father, the Hero. It has a ridiculous scene where Li is under a truck and keeps himself from getting run over by rolling really fast to outrun the tires.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Unleashed / Danny the Dog needs to be in there as upper middle-tier Li

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

poonchasta posted:

I remember enjoying My Father, the Hero. It has a ridiculous scene where Li is under a truck and keeps himself from getting run over by rolling really fast to outrun the tires.

His fight scene with Gerard Depardieu is good as well. I also remember seeing Romeo must Die like a thousand times in theaters but haven't done a rewatch recently.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Was Romeo must die where they did the X-ray of a dudes bones being broke in the final fight? It reminded me of those sniper games.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

jase1 posted:

Was Romeo must die where they did the X-ray of a dudes bones being broke in the final fight? It reminded me of those sniper games.

I remember that was definitely in the first fight scene when he is hanging upside down from the ceiling. Also this movie has the worst CGI football ever.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

jase1 posted:

Was Romeo must die where they did the X-ray of a dudes bones being broke in the final fight?

i have to watch streetfighter again, that movie rules so hard.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Found it.

I’m not sure how to embed it but here is the link.

https://imgur.com/gallery/QcyzaQi

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

dokmo posted:

i have to watch streetfighter again, that movie rules so hard.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

poonchasta posted:

For films in a modern setting, check out Kiss of the Dragon and Danny the Dog/Unleashed. Avoid any of his English speaking films made in America. Also, Endless Ocean if you are interested in a drama with zero martial arts.

Edit: or is it called Ocean Heaven? It's something with Ocean in the title.

unironically Lethal Weapon 4, he's loving great at that

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 22, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Shageletic posted:

unironically Lethal Weapon 4, he's loving great at that

Yeah I don't know what it is about Jet Li but ive never enjoyed a movie where he's the lead. The two I like most with him are LW4 and Hero (one of my all time favorite movies )

Vvvvv exactly what I was thinking of. Greatest introduction of a foreign actor to america

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 22, 2020

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D1CqVrGXdo This loving rules

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah I don't know what it is about Jet Li but ive never enjoyed a movie where he's the lead. The two I like most with him are LW4 and Hero (one of my all time favorite movies )

Vvvvv exactly what I was thinking of. Greatest introduction of a foreign actor to america

So much better than Donnie Yen's. Although I do have a soft spot for The Replacement Killers which is I think Chow Yun-Fat's first american movie and it rules.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Would you consider Highlander or Blade 2 his intro?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Narzack posted:

Would you consider Highlander or Blade 2 his intro?

Highlander. I mean I might have been the only one in the entire country to see it so maybe Blade 2 should count

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

B-Rock452 posted:

So much better than Donnie Yen's. Although I do have a soft spot for The Replacement Killers which is I think Chow Yun-Fat's first american movie and it rules.

Whatever happened to Chow Yun-Fat? There was a time where he rode his Hong Kong fame into America, but it seemed to have swept him away, just as fast. Did he just give up and head back to HK? Leave showbiz, entirely?

And agreed -- Replacement Killers is pretty stylish for a B-movie. Apparently Mira Sorvino (sp?) was rotten to him, on set

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

null_pointer posted:

Whatever happened to Chow Yun-Fat? There was a time where he rode his Hong Kong fame into America, but it seemed to have swept him away, just as fast. Did he just give up and head back to HK? Leave showbiz, entirely?

And agreed -- Replacement Killers is pretty stylish for a B-movie. Apparently Mira Sorvino (sp?) was rotten to him, on set

I think part of it was that he didn't make it to Hollywood until he was over 40, so within a few years he was pushing 50 and getting past leading man age. He's in his mid-60s today.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
No love for Bodyguard From Beijing?

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

brocked posted:

No love for Bodyguard From Beijing?

I love that one! I just couldn't remember the name. Isn't the bad guy the same actor from My Father, the Hero? That guy is awesome and I think he was also Seraph on the Matrix sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

null_pointer posted:

Tried to find anything on that and found this instead

quote:

You’d never know it, but Mira Sorvino speaks five – count 'em, five languages, including Mandarin Chinese. By contrast, Chow Yun-Fat’s native tongue is Cantonese, although he also speaks Mandarin to a lesser degree.

This dynamic helped Sorvino translate English for Chow Yun-Fat, allowing him to adapt to the script at a time when he was just beginning to pick up English as another language. Is that convenient, or what?

BLAME IT ON QUENTIN

At the time, Sorvino was dating Hollywood director extraordinaire Quentin Tarantino, and it was he who convinced her to take on the role of Meg Coburn. His reason? She had to work with an Asian action legend like Chow Yun-Fat.

Tarantino’s admiration of the actor, and Asian cinema as a whole was passionate enough to convince Sorvino to agree. We owe him one, there. Sorvino turned out one excellent performance.