Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Story is offset by Trevor Bauer also using that picture to get ready before his starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants signed another bargain bin RP, John Brebbia. Looks like he was pretty good with the Cardinals before having TJS last summer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1341131570220974080

Sure whatever I guess.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Hail Duff Man

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticMLB/status/1341183856267948032

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Sadly that is not true. The English and Japanese wiki article are full of errors. He only pitched in 3 NPB level games. From what I found Ni-Gun (NPB minor league) didn't keep many surviving records and newspapers didn't cover all the games. The following is the best known info....

1955 - Joined the Giants' Ni-Gun team. Because he was already over 2 meters tall, newspapers took note and we know he pitched in 2 games, went 0-0 in 6.2 innings and allowed 2 runs. He was 17.

1956 - Records show the Giants Ni-Gun team played 33 games and Baba pitched in 7 games mixed relief and starting and went 2-1 over those games. There may have been more but there is no more know records. (18 yo)

1957 - Newspapers confirm 41 games for the Ni-Gun team, but they likely played 20-30 more than that. Records show he pitched in 12 games and went 4 - 2. But he did well enough to get called up to the NPB team in August. So he must of done very well in the minors as the leap from the Ni-Gun team to the Pro team was long one at the time.

He was called up for three games. His first was a scoreless relief inning in August. Then he didn't get a second game until another scoreless relief inning in October. Then he got a start on October 23. He thew 5 inning with one run given up.

He went 1 - 1 1.29 ERA 0.71 WHIP 3 ks in his 7 innings pitched in pro ball. Immediately after his game on October 23rd he started to have vision trouble. After the season in December he went in for dangerous brain cancer surgery and was discharged a week later after a successful operation. (19 yo)

1958 - This was his best year in the minors. The records show he threw in at least 8 games and went 7 - 2 . Though again records are spotty and some are contradictory. We know he had a great stretch in the summer. From August 15 to September 14, he pitched in 7 games out of 13 games. He threw 28 innings with 5 wins and 0 losses and had a ERA of 1.89. (20 yo)

1959 - This was his last year playing ball. He played in at least 14 games with the Ni-Gun team and went 2 - 4 , in 45 innings , 21 ks 29 BBs, and a 6.00 ERA.

Pitching Mechanics in Slow Motion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRipMcrVBOI

They are burying the lead tho...

Shohei Baba aka Giant Baba was a literal giant on the Yomiuri Giants. The dude was 6'10'' . And he went on to have long career in pro wrestling. He founded the fantastic All Japan Pro Wrestling

Andre The Giant & Giant Baba & Dory Funk Jr. vs. Kawada & Kobashi & Kikuchi (March 4, 1992)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALGoiK_ydCU

He had a absurdly high leg kick in his delivery sometimes. This became his signature move in pro wrestling, The big Boot

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 22, 2020

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah I was gonna say. 2 meters tall in 1950s Japan would have been massive.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
A bunch of NBA teams handed out yuge rookie extensions today

MLB: *crickets*

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
So what, NBA is a cap league lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

nothing to worry about i'm sure elite young athletes trying to choose between sports will take that into consideration

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Agreed would hate to see the NBA whither and die due to athletes intelligently choosing the uncapped league

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

GalacticAcid posted:

If the NBA can afford to dole out a poo poo ton of money on one day, what's MLB's excuse?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

because MLB revenues are so much lower! The NBA made 8.3 billion to the MLB's tiny 3 billion!

In fact, MLB has claimed that even in a regular season they'd have lost money this season. How? Well, when you account for the fact that somehow; despite increasing revenues year after year, MLB has claimed that, magically, at most, over the last like 5 or 6 years the most profit the league has made is around 250 million more than they spend. How? well, when you define what is baseball revenue and have accountants who can turn 4 million in profit into 2 million in loses, and don't have to open the books to the players union, well, it's not hard.

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 22, 2020

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

to go into more detail, some of MLB's favorite tricks are including things like "stadium depreciation" as loses, even when they don't actually own the stadium they play in, or including all costs of owning minor league teams in their numbers, but somehow or another not including any of the revenue that those teams make.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bawfuls posted:

nothing to worry about i'm sure elite young athletes trying to choose between sports will take that into consideration

Yeah... a first round MLB pick decided he would rather get CTE than take his chances with baseball, I wouldn't be so dismissive of that calculus going forward because of stingy owners.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Spoeank posted:

Yeah... a first round MLB pick decided he would rather get CTE than take his chances with baseball, I wouldn't be so dismissive of that calculus going forward because of stingy owners.

It's rough, because even if Kyler Murray ended up being MVP caliber (which, iirc he wasn't projected to be, I think he was projected as like a 2ish WAR major leaguer) he wouldn't be in the big leagues yet. So he'd be on the bus hoping he'd get paid in 4 or 5 years in arbitration, where the NFL was gonna pay him Change Your Life money right out of school. I don't know how the MLB or baseball in general gets around that problem.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If the NBA can afford to dole out a poo poo ton of money on one day, what's MLB's excuse?

The amount the NBA owners pay out is fixed based on a percentage of revenue. Which individual players get what portion of that is immaterial. The fact that it’s done in a fell swoop is a consequence of their being nothing really at stake in individual contract negotiations

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

more falafel please posted:

It's rough, because even if Kyler Murray ended up being MVP caliber (which, iirc he wasn't projected to be, I think he was projected as like a 2ish WAR major leaguer) he wouldn't be in the big leagues yet. So he'd be on the bus hoping he'd get paid in 4 or 5 years in arbitration, where the NFL was gonna pay him Change Your Life money right out of school. I don't know how the MLB or baseball in general gets around that problem.

Yeah Kyler already signed a fully four year guaranteed contract that he'd have to be one of the top players in MLB to reach in value through year 5 (not even counting time in the minors), and the way he's playing he'll probably be making more than Trout 2 years from now

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder posted:

Yeah Kyler already signed a fully four year guaranteed contract that he'd have to be one of the top players in MLB to reach in value through year 5 (not even counting time in the minors), and the way he's playing he'll probably be making more than Trout 2 years from now

Right, so from a baseball fan perspective I'd love it if he had stayed with the A's but odds are he would have been, like, Daniel Descalso. From a player advocate perspective I'd rather he plays in the NFL for a few years and hopefully keeps his blood-brain barrier intact and retires with gently caress You Money.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A radical proposal I've seen is to have teams pay half their revenue into a common salary pool, and players get base pay + massive bonuses for producing WAR. This would put all the focus on player development and smart drafting rather than allowing rich teams to outbid poor teams. Unfortunately, the owners would almost certainly object to paying players what they're worth, and the lack of guaranteed money could be an issue for players.

A less radical proposal is to ensure pro baseball players, major and minor, get enough pay and a pension so that anyone who signs can avoid becoming destitute because they tried to play baseball for a living. But that might slightly cut into the salaries of top talent, so the players' union probably would never go for it.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

honestly baseball could go so far by just like, paying all minor leaguers like, 40 grand a year or something vaguely resembling enough to pay for rent and not dying at the lower minor league levels instead of like, 20 bucks a day, 2 peanut butter sandwiches and a host family so they don't loving starve in A ball or w/e but somehow even that is too much for owners to bear.

Or, more accurately, if they did that they couldn't lowball latin american talent into taking vastly below value deals like eugenio suarez or ozzie albies took because life changing money doesn't equal the money they should be making

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 22, 2020

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Chamale posted:

A radical proposal I've seen is to have teams pay half their revenue into a common salary pool, and players get base pay + massive bonuses for producing WAR. This would put all the focus on player development and smart drafting rather than allowing rich teams to outbid poor teams. Unfortunately, the owners would almost certainly object to paying players what they're worth, and the lack of guaranteed money could be an issue for players.

A less radical proposal is to ensure pro baseball players, major and minor, get enough pay and a pension so that anyone who signs can avoid becoming destitute because they tried to play baseball for a living. But that might slightly cut into the salaries of top talent, so the players' union probably would never go for it.

Even that pool system creates a $/WAR price point that would be leveraged against veterans, so the PA wouldn't go for it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Even that pool system creates a $/WAR price point that would be leveraged against veterans, so the PA wouldn't go for it

Throw in a service time component? I'm not the most knowledgeable about player salary structure outside of "rear end in a top hat owners quit hogging profits and pay the people who make the money."

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ScottyJSno posted:

Sadly that is not true. The English and Japanese wiki article are full of errors. He only pitched in 3 NPB level games. From what I found Ni-Gun (NPB minor league) didn't keep many surviving records and newspapers didn't cover all the games. The following is the best known info....

1955 - Joined the Giants' Ni-Gun team. Because he was already over 2 meters tall, newspapers took note and we know he pitched in 2 games, went 0-0 in 6.2 innings and allowed 2 runs. He was 17.

1956 - Records show the Giants Ni-Gun team played 33 games and Baba pitched in 7 games mixed relief and starting and went 2-1 over those games. There may have been more but there is no more know records. (18 yo)

1957 - Newspapers confirm 41 games for the Ni-Gun team, but they likely played 20-30 more than that. Records show he pitched in 12 games and went 4 - 2. But he did well enough to get called up to the NPB team in August. So he must of done very well in the minors as the leap from the Ni-Gun team to the Pro team was long one at the time.

He was called up for three games. His first was a scoreless relief inning in August. Then he didn't get a second game until another scoreless relief inning in October. Then he got a start on October 23. He thew 5 inning with one run given up.

He went 1 - 1 1.29 ERA 0.71 WHIP 3 ks in his 7 innings pitched in pro ball. Immediately after his game on October 23rd he started to have vision trouble. After the season in December he went in for dangerous brain cancer surgery and was discharged a week later after a successful operation. (19 yo)

1958 - This was his best year in the minors. The records show he threw in at least 8 games and went 7 - 2 . Though again records are spotty and some are contradictory. We know he had a great stretch in the summer. From August 15 to September 14, he pitched in 7 games out of 13 games. He threw 28 innings with 5 wins and 0 losses and had a ERA of 1.89. (20 yo)

1959 - This was his last year playing ball. He played in at least 14 games with the Ni-Gun team and went 2 - 4 , in 45 innings , 21 ks 29 BBs, and a 6.00 ERA.

Pitching Mechanics in Slow Motion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRipMcrVBOI

They are burying the lead tho...

Shohei Baba aka Giant Baba was a literal giant on the Yomiuri Giants. The dude was 6'10'' . And he went on to have long career in pro wrestling. He founded the fantastic All Japan Pro Wrestling

Andre The Giant & Giant Baba & Dory Funk Jr. vs. Kawada & Kobashi & Kikuchi (March 4, 1992)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALGoiK_ydCU

He had a absurdly high leg kick in his delivery sometimes. This became his signature move in pro wrestling, The big Boot

I'm really curious how this level of mis-information happens. Suppose it was written by some Japanese wrestling superfan who is ESL.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

TheFlyingLlama posted:

because MLB revenues are so much lower! The NBA made 8.3 billion to the MLB's tiny 3 billion!

In fact, MLB has claimed that even in a regular season they'd have lost money this season. How? Well, when you account for the fact that somehow; despite increasing revenues year after year, MLB has claimed that, magically, at most, over the last like 5 or 6 years the most profit the league has made is around 250 million more than they spend. How? well, when you define what is baseball revenue and have accountants who can turn 4 million in profit into 2 million in loses, and don't have to open the books to the players union, well, it's not hard.

I thought the NBA didn't make that much money and thats why they have a salary cap and that stupid rear end salary structure they have. Man the players got hosed in their cba

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Nodoze posted:

I thought the NBA didn't make that much money and thats why they have a salary cap and that stupid rear end salary structure they have. Man the players got hosed in their cba
A season mostly out of the pandemic vs a season entirely in the pandemic

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jsalisburynbcs/status/1341457492707045379?s=21

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Did nobody actually want the job and they had to promote internally?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t imagine what a gM for Dombrowksi would even do

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Apparently Fuld was "runner-up" to Cora with the Red Sox, by which I assume he was the last name drawn out of the hat when it came to make the list of guys they were presenting as evidence that they didn't want Cora the whole way.

edit: Also this seems relevant https://elitesportsny.com/2019/10/14/new-york-mets-manager-job-sam-fuld-declines-to-interview-report/

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 22, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Popete posted:

Did nobody actually want the job and they had to promote internally?
Probably not

It’s pretty clear that they are going to be cutting and I’m sure nobody wanted to come there for that

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

I can’t imagine what a gM for Dombrowksi would even do

He's always been president. I think he didn't rehire a GM after Hazen left Boston and promoted Wren and another special assistant to agms?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Spring Break My Heart posted:

A season mostly out of the pandemic vs a season entirely in the pandemic

I meant in general

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/anthonydicomo/status/1341474395164958721?s=21

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

Probably not

It’s pretty clear that they are going to be cutting and I’m sure nobody wanted to come there for that

Dombrowski isn't a cutter, it just seems like the GM title is going to be more than a little perfunctory under him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Phillies “opened” tons of payroll by just letting contracts expire like arrieta

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm really curious how this level of mis-information happens. Suppose it was written by some Japanese wrestling superfan who is ESL.

The English article is a poor translation (edited Google translation) of the Japanese site. The Japanese site has no notations or irrelevant notations. So probably a Japanese super fan.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Dombo's Yes Man seems like a good gig until you get canned to save face

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

TheFlyingLlama posted:

It's the same accounting tricks LucasFilm pulled on the stars of A New Hope. A couple of them had percentage of profits in their contracts.

The film has not been profitable, if you listen to the accountants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Beginning to feel like this offseason is going to make last year's look like a speedy one

The year's almost over and only a couple of lower-tier FAs have signed