Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
thats a good name for a band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Spec Voice gud

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvkHKfiuSVk

https://spidvich.bandcamp.com/album/deaths-head

Came across this band, raw, punky, russian black metal. The dude on the cover is Aimo Koivunen, who was a Finnish soldier in WWII who was the first documented case of a soldier overdosing on methamphetamine during combat. While on a long retreat, it was really cold and he struggled to take a single pill out of his bottle of army issued meth. He decided it was a good idea to take the whole bottle.

He then skied 250 miles to where he was found, 94 pounds, heart beating at 200 bpm. Somehow he survived, and this album is dedicated to him.

No clue what's going on in this album but it's pretty good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

No clue what's going on in this album but it's pretty good.

Despite the Axis soldier on the cover and the name being a combo of "AIDS" and "HIV" in Russian, the lyrics look pretty benign. Just a bunch of war-related gore and people=poo poo lyrics mostly.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Finnish Crystal Meth Rambo is metal as gently caress.

Seriously, Finns are goddamn crazy forest people.

quote:

Koivunen had trouble pulling out a single pill, so he emptied the entire bottle of thirty capsules into his hand and took them all.

He had a short burst of energy, but then entered into a state of delirium, and lost consciousness. Koivunen remembered waking up the following morning, separated from his patrol and having no supplies. In the following days, he escaped Soviet forces once again, was injured by a land mine, and laid in a ditch for a week waiting for help. After skiing more than 400 km (250 miles) he was found and admitted to a nearby hospital, where his heart rate was measured at 200 beats per minute, triple the average human heartbeat, and weighing only 43 kg (94 pounds). In the week Koivunen was gone, he subsisted only on pine buds and a single Siberian jay that he caught and ate raw. He ended up surviving and died peacefully at the age of 71.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Wachter posted:

Tired: AOTY lists
Wired: cool poo poo you might have missed lists

Continuing in this vein, CVLT Nation have started putting out their AOTY lists which always include dozens of bands I've never heard of

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Wachter posted:

Continuing in this vein, CVLT Nation have started putting out their AOTY lists which always include dozens of bands I've never heard of

Thanks, these are great. Always glad to find albums I haven't heard on people's best of lists to check out.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Ooo genre seperated lists, that's very nice. I have like 10 tabs open from them now.

Also Contrastic decided to drop a new album after 20 years, a few tracks in it's still weird deathgrind but admittedly less weird than they were 20 years ago.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Somehow missed that T.O.O.H. put out a new album this year:

https://tooh1.bandcamp.com/

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nazzadan posted:

Ooo genre seperated lists, that's very nice. I have like 10 tabs open from them now.

Also Contrastic decided to drop a new album after 20 years, a few tracks in it's still weird deathgrind but admittedly less weird than they were 20 years ago.

yeah this rules, i got so much new poo poo on my bandcamp wishlists

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I wanna know what was in the water in the Czech Republic around the early 2000s that gave birth to Contrastic, !T.O.O.H.!, and Lykathea Aflame.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i have never heard of contrastic before but this is extremely my poo poo

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Their debut is an absolute grind classic, and sports probably the best album art ever.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Nazzadan posted:

Their debut is an absolute grind classic, and sports probably the best album art ever.

kinda wish i did reaction videos because i'm sure the look on my face as i pulled this up and pressed play was absolutely loving priceless

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Fleshgod Apocalypse dropped a new song outta nowhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP2zn00NBVo

Although there seems to be a short Britney Spears moment near the end?

henpod fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 18, 2020

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

henpod posted:

...what the gently caress is that bit about?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
sold out

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Internal Rot's "Grieving Birth" is definitely my aoty. It's nearly flawless in that every single song flows together perfectly and the only sound sample they use is like 6 seconds long and literally the last thing in the album.

No bass, no intro, just right in to the blasting

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Parachute posted:

Internal Rot's "Grieving Birth" is definitely my aoty. It's nearly flawless in that every single song flows together perfectly and the only sound sample they use is like 6 seconds long and literally the last thing in the album.

No bass, no intro, just right in to the blasting

This is at the least in my top 5, incredible album

Grindcore ASMR
Nov 28, 2015

Grieving Birth was great grind. I also thought that Meth Leppard- Woke had that quality of songs being perfect, riff after riff, and just flowing throughout.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Greiving Birth is a great album, to think I only checked them out because it’s the drummer from faceless burial

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
On the topic of interesting best of the year lists:

https://machinemusic.net/2020/12/01/machine-music-presents-the-best-metal-of-2020/

Very wacky category titles such as BEST ALBUMS FOR DROPPING ACID ALONE IN A DARK FOREST CLEARING ONLY YOU DROPPED IT TOO SOON AND NOW YOU'RE JUST STUCK IN TRAFFIC AND FREAKING OUT, etc.

I combed through the list and found a bunch of bands I've never heard of.

They have a top 50 list at the bottom.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

henpod posted:

Fleshgod Apocalypse dropped a new song outta nowhere:

Fleshgod feat. dril, haha that's hilarious. Veronica is way more diverse a singer than what she does in fleshgod and I've heard her soundcheck with that britney song so that makes sense.

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
truth be told best song for me this year is "A Lament" by the band "The Body" -- there's nothing I really liked this year, both in metal and otherwise :P

Grindcore ASMR
Nov 28, 2015

Any other notable grindcore releases this year?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

there's grinding involved, at least

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The_dude_abides posted:

Caustic Wound - Death Posture

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

silvergoose posted:

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityOfMetalDesigners/

For anyone else interested in this. COMD do competitions for metal logo designers to redraw and rebrand famous logos. It’s fantastic.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

The_dude_abides posted:

Wake - Devouring Ruin (didn't realize they're from my hometown of Calgary, but more of a black/death/grindcore hybrid now but were once classified as grindcore)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf_a1TafB5Q

Sulaco - The Privilege
Skam - Sounds of a Disease
Pharmacist - Medical Renditions of Grinding Decomposition
Miasmatic Necrosis - Apex Profane
Napalm Death obviously
Meth Leppard - Woke
Mass Extinction - Never-Ending Holocaust
Kandar - Cluster Headache
Grid - Livsleda
Fluids had 2 releases
Feastem - Graveyard Earth
Collision - The Final Kill
Chepang - Chatta

Grindcore ASMR
Nov 28, 2015

Thanks! Lots for me to check out that I missed.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

silvergoose posted:

Psh, in Philly we have an actual coffee shop with a metal logo (Grindcore House, it rules)

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Psh, in Philly we have an actual coffee shop with a metal logo (Grindcore House, it rules)

That place rules. I used to live literally around the corner and ate breakfast there just about every day.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Do they play any grindcore? I was disappointed to go to the metal burger place in Gothenburg and find that they played corny rock. The burgers were yummy though.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Nazzadan posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a name I haven't heard in a really long time.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
This is good, reminds me of Soulside Journey and more so the demos. But kinda like Darkthrone Cromlech demo era had already heard their A Blaze...album. And Ted being on a Scream Bloody Gore bender.

https://dodskvad.bandcamp.com/releases

Halloween Liker fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 21, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I am certainly digging it, the SBG meets early Darkthrone description is apt.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Everyone's got their top 10s out, but what are some of the most overlooked metal albums this year?

I think a lot of people slept on this because it came out the week pandemic lockdown started and everyone was in a panic, but Irist's Order of the Mind is a really solid debut. They're South American (Brazil/Argentina/Chile) but based in Atlanta now, and they get a lot of Gojira and early Mastodon comparisons. I'm looking forward to hearing more from them.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i think incremate didn't get nearly as much love as they deserved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zju4d7M_rZw

this album is easily in my top 10, but also criminally overlooked

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just learned about Timeghoul, who made some great death metal demos back in 92-94

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrgVbI_8g3o

Then I was looking up Ossuarium because I love them, and I saw someone say that the closest comparison they could make was Ceremonium. After looking them up I realized why that sounded familiar, I used to hang out with a couple of those guys in the mid 90s or so but completely forgot that their band was really good :) in my defense I mostly knew them from another band they were in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2_xdJZ-7J0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
While this feels like low-hanging fruit at this point...

Merry Christmas Metal Thread!!!