Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getoutnow
Aug 12, 2007
Seriously.
VR arriving on the "Twenty-tooth".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Imma barf so hard

i am kiss u now posted:

Are you using the working title mod? If so, just enter a new origin on the ground and it clears the flight plan out.

No it's a vanilla plane. I'll look for the mod, thanks for the tip

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I just installed the Working Title CJ4 mod and it's so much loving better. I understand what the plane is whoing now on its displays, the oral messages make much more sense, the autopilot is smoother (a bit), so muc more buttons and menus are working (and quicker too), and best of all, you can now make the plane put on the seat belt lights and give passengers the flight briefing. This is a 100% improvement!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Working Title Garmin (G1000 and G3000) mods are also great. Tons of little improvements and it's super nice having certain settings saved between sessions/planes.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Did you know that revalidating files in Steam causes the game to instantly nuke your 200 gigs or whatever that the content manager downloads? Boy cause I sure didn't!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
On the download screen in-game, you can select a custom folder. Do that, one outside of the game install folder, to avoid this poo poo the next time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Less Fat Luke posted:

Did you know that revalidating files in Steam causes the game to instantly nuke your 200 gigs or whatever that the content manager downloads? Boy cause I sure didn't!
Oh that's what did it. Mine just stopped booting without revalidating and by the time I got in I needed to redownload. I thought I just deleted the content folder to make room for Dirt Rally 2.

Combat Pretzel posted:

On the download screen in-game, you can select a custom folder. Do that, one outside of the game install folder, to avoid this poo poo the next time.
But mine was outside the folder so either I did manually delete it or there's more to it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

All that does is make a symlink, so it didn't/wouldn't make a difference.

As a rule, any game that uses its own launcher instead of Steam to download the game is not going to play well with Steam's file validation tool.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Less Fat Luke posted:

I also learned this the hard way!

I have MSFS, its content, and the rolling cache on a Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVME inside a USBC enclosure. This actually works darn good considering I'm running this game on a laptop that was never meant for gaming.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Helter Skelter posted:

As a rule, any game that uses its own launcher instead of Steam to download the game is not going to play well with Steam's file validation tool.

Especially if it's from another developer with their own platform, like EA or Ubisoft.

My worst experience was with The Division. It would just sit at the orange connecting screen until I found some weird thing with how Steam looks at the game online and the whole file validation thing.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nah it was already completely outside the folder. Also helpfully after the initial base install by the content manager you still have to go into the marketplace, sort by Owned and manually queue the downloads for everything you already have (like the premium pack). Goddamn that part of the interface is still such hot garbage.

Edit: Also after the fact I found the content manager list format has a download all that might have saved some effort but seems to say I have 16EiB to download.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 20, 2020

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Saturday December 26, 2020 @ 2000Z

At around 0400 this morning, the Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser USS Chosin was attacked by three unknown guided missile frigates. After fierce fighting, the Chosin sank one hostile ship and forced the other ships to retreat. However, the Chosin suffered damage to her fire control systems during the battle, and she is currently withdrawing to the West. US KEYHOLE satellites have tracked the hostile warships as originating from the Syrian port of Tartus, and they are currently heading to base for repairs.

After an emergency meeting with the Joint Chiefs, POTUS has authorized a military response. The USS Abraham Lincoln and her air wing have been tasked with covering the Chosin as she conducts repairs, and with locating and sinking the two hostile warships. USAF F-16's from Incirlik AB have been ordered to conduct a surgical strike against the port of Tartus targeting deep water ship repair facilities.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=0

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The menus look pretty jank in VR and launching the game via VR seems... odd. Can't wait though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sigher posted:

The menus look pretty jank in VR and launching the game via VR seems... odd. Can't wait though.

I used to have a Vive Pro, sold it to get a Reverb G2. The Vive was a slightly higher quality piece of hardware, better build quality, etc, but Microsoft has really nailed the WMR front end. The software works flawlessly out of the box with just a simple calibration the first time, and virtual desktop is actually pleasant to use.

...Which is good, since your mouse cursor basically won’t work in anything if you don’t launch it through the WMR portal.

What I’m saying is the Vive was always just very slightly janky. Occasional tracking problems, initialization problems, etc. Had to swap USB ports on the regular. The G2 has none of those issues, it Just Works.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
Getting licenses in vatsim through vatstar is so very slow and painful but aligns with how I enjoy flightsims. Do recommend.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

So the rudder bug on xbox controllers is still a thing.

After 4 months. On the company's own proprietary controller.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

FYI there's a sale in the MSFS2020 store. Might get the Mooney. Or maybe an airport close to home. Or nicer scenery for Singapore or Tokyo.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Lord Stimperor posted:

FYI there's a sale in the MSFS2020 store. Might get the Mooney. Or maybe an airport close to home. Or nicer scenery for Singapore or Tokyo.

I'm trying to resist temptation to pick up both the Ovation and Seminole.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's the 22nd, where's my VR update?

Less Fat Luke posted:

Nah it was already completely outside the folder. Also helpfully after the initial base install by the content manager you still have to go into the marketplace, sort by Owned and manually queue the downloads for everything you already have (like the premium pack). Goddamn that part of the interface is still such hot garbage.
Hmm, interesting. I looked into my content folder, and even the premium content is in there.

You using the Steam or Windows Store version? Nevermind, dumb question.

Helter Skelter posted:

:confused:

My C:\FlightSimulatorData is a bonafide directory. --edit: And there aren't any symlinks from the install directory to that data directory.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 22, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No VR update yet, I was hoping to get to play with it before work.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea I wish they'd release it already. It's not just the Steam update itself, but the inevitable 30GB asset update that's gonna ruin my day.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yea I wish they'd release it already. It's not just the Steam update itself, but the inevitable 30GB asset update that's gonna ruin my day.

I really hate this about Flight Sim, I don't understand why the updates cant just come directly through Steam. The in-game updater is so annoying. It doesn't help too that Flight Sim has horrible load times even on SSDs.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

I said come in! posted:

I really hate this about Flight Sim, I don't understand why the updates cant just come directly through Steam. The in-game updater is so annoying. It doesn't help too that Flight Sim has horrible load times even on SSDs.
It's cause they're selling it on multiple storefronts so they don't want to write integrations with each. I agree it sucks

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Less Fat Luke posted:

It's cause they're selling it on multiple storefronts so they don't want to write integrations with each. I agree it sucks

It's only two storefronts, and then eventually Xbox.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Here we go, updating on Steam.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Here we go, updating on Steam.

I wont be able to play until later today, but i'm very interested in hearing about your impressions with regards to performance in VR.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Gonna take a while, 15GB assets to download. Around 2.5 hours with my lovely internet.

I'm not expecting much from VR, given the current framerates. My only concern would be in regards to reprojection, hoping the sim renders wide enough to prevent flickering at the fringe for the most part, when rotating my head too quickly.

Change log has tons of airliner fixes. Still doesn't mention fixing the APU shutting down on the 787 when enabling the left side fuel pumps. :|

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

I said come in! posted:

It's only two storefronts, and then eventually Xbox.
Yeah that's three storefronts. Like I said it sucks but I get it from a development standpoint. I think also Windows Store DLC files are encrypted which meant that you'd want a bunch of external files anyways for mod-ability.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah that's three storefronts. Like I said it sucks but I get it from a development standpoint. I think also Windows Store DLC files are encrypted which meant that you'd want a bunch of external files anyways for mod-ability.

lol small first time indie devs release games on twice as many storefronts as this. I don't think this is the issue for Microsoft.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
So VR mode won't let me change it's key bindings unless I'm in VR.. and it won't initialize VR until I hit the unbound key for centering the VR view lol.

I said come in! posted:

lol small first time indie devs release games on twice as many storefronts as this. I don't think this is the issue for Microsoft.
I mean maybe, I'm not dying on a hill I'm just telling you what their excuse was.

Edit: Oh okay you can edit the binding in the controls screen, my bad

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Ok so I've been really looking forward to the VR mode and for me, I am not disappointed. I never really liked x-plane's use of hand controls because my yoke, desk, monitor etc always got in the way of the controls anyway so I ended up using the mouse there and the mouse implementation here is similar. Performance when I first started was pretty rough but I was able to tweak it to be acceptable and mostly smooth. I'll go over my gear here to see if any of this is helpful.

I have a 9900k (overclocked to 5.0ghz) and a 2080 (non TI, non super, overclocked +125mhz with the memory clock +500mhz). An AIO water cooler for the CPU, standard cooling on the GPU. Using an Oculus Quest 2 with a 3rd party USB 3.0 cable as a link cable. I have the render resolution turned up in the Oculus application to 1.2x (3920x1984) at 90hz.

I left all the graphics settings in MSFS at default except resolution scale which defaults to 80. I bumped it up to 100 because the instruments were a bit blurry. Everything was still really choppy at that point so I started up oculus tray tool and made a profile for MSFS that forces ASW (Oculus motion smoothing called Asynchronous Space Warp) to 30hz. This locks the framerate at 30FPS and it interpolates the in-between frames to make it smooth in the headset. This was the key that unlocked the good stuff. On the ground you will still get some hitches but a couple thousand feet up and everything is nice and smooth. I haven't played with any of the pop-out windows like ATC or the map yet but I'm super impressed and happy with this.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 22, 2020

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
The menus look and work great in an Index. Going from menu to simulation seems to crash my game or entire computer but I found if I switch to VR mode after getting into the sim it works. Performance is not great - I set it to the Medium preset to try things (7700k w/ 3090) and FPS hovers around 40. It's a little barf inducing but I made a ten minute flight and don't feel too bad afterwards. I think with some tweaking of the settings it's gonna be solid.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Also it looks like DCS has all of it's content free for two weeks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XelADRnkn6Q

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

A32NX update status:
https://twitter.com/FlybywireSim/status/1341448836091432960

For me it's CTD shortly after loading onto a runway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

VR works OK I guess. I get the feeling like spatial data (head rotation and translation) is subsampled and makes things janky. Could be the game getting confused by messing with various SteamVR settings during runtime.

Motion smoothing is definitely a no-go for this game.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CTD on activating VR from menu or sim. Bah.

Because it was my first time up since I got the new 34" monitor, I went up over Tucson to check out the airplane graveyard, which is suitably impressive. I managed a really nice landing too, so other than VR not working it was... 17 minutes of air time for 90 minutes troubleshooting.

Thread title still checks out.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I wont be able to play until later today, but i'm very interested in hearing about your impressions with regards to performance in VR.

Honestly, I might have just not dropped my settings enough, but I have quite possibly the most powerful PC it is possible to buy at the mo (3090 and 5950x) and the juddering/performance was *horrible* at default settings. Full red in my index performance window, etc.

I'm going to try dropping a few more settings and playing around a bit, but ouch.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Where's the loving live snow and ice coverage

I installed the update and went to Ottawa with live weather set and it still looks like August. ugh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay I got to play with VR in Flight Sim, I left the settings on default, which was mostly low / medium because I just have a RTX 2070. Holy poo poo, even then it looked amazing, and basically I can no longer go back to 2D for this game. VR is too much of a game changer to go back. Lower settings be damned, VR cancels that out by a significant margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Seeing as how TrackIr changed my life, I can inagine VR is ridiculous