Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh man those are both fantastic! I've had to very deliberately slow my roll with the house and move coming up.

Placed one last order of tobacco that should last the year. Bittersweet, doing the last of something, but new horizons are always ahead!

Anyone find anything good seasonally? Davidoff have released their new Chinese zodiac smoke. I had one year of the rat and wasn't impressed, but I'll try anything once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

Oh man those are both fantastic! I've had to very deliberately slow my roll with the house and move coming up.

Placed one last order of tobacco that should last the year. Bittersweet, doing the last of something, but new horizons are always ahead!

Anyone find anything good seasonally? Davidoff have released their new Chinese zodiac smoke. I had one year of the rat and wasn't impressed, but I'll try anything once.

Hurts when you gotta make that last order for a while but it's for a good cause!

Nothing seasonal but I managed to snag:
CAO Visions(Limited release) as I enjoy Cameroon wrappers
Aladino Corojo Reserva No. 4(limited release)
S&R Lanceros(Limited release)
HVC Black Friday(Limited release)
Viaje Skull & Bones Mystery(limited release)
Another Box of the Menelik by Foundation

I might not smoke cigars much at all right, I use to smoke 2 a day everyday, but I still try to grab things now and then. My ghettodor is full so I send out bombs pretty regularly to get things knocked back down.

Pre-Covid I was setting up a Cigar/Scotch night to get people into the hobby. I was going to supply pretty much everything the first few meets just to get it going......and BAM! Shut down. Oh well.

edit: oh here's a pic of my upcoming cigars since it did not load on the app properly
https://imgur.com/a/q9Ng8aQ

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I went to one of those local hipster barbershops where they have pipe and cigar stuff and they had a tin of Mac Baren Plumcake Navy Blend and it is exquisite. They also had a brand called "Mr. B" which I see is made by Sutliff. Anyway I got a pouch of their BC Cavendish and that is also nice. I think Latakia and Cavendish are two of my fave tobacco aromas. Also I don't know what's going on but here in Canada all the pictures on tins and pouches of tobacco have been replaced with a flat grey background with boring text. It's really insane, the bureaucrats obviously don't have anything productive to do.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Eh, plain packaging laws. They're supposed to make tobacco less appealing to kids.

I'll have to check out more Mac Baren, that plum cake sounds delicious.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a Fernando Leon Family Reserve which was nice. Smoking an Alec Bradley 1600 which appears to be a Famous Smoke exclusive and it’s pretty good, pepper, espresso, leather, pretty tasty.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Someone doesn't want me to get any RASS. my ihavanas order was lost and a FoH order just had to be re-shipped.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Shame about the RASS, they are my favorite cuban. For a number a years I always kept 2 boxes aging and one to smoke.

Got my fancy Kiribi Takara lighter in brass
http://imgur.com/a/VcL3b64

After trying the Savinelli Janus yesterday, I had to grab the whole family today
http://imgur.com/a/xrxJPxD

While my palate is kinda lovely for Pipe tobacco currently, vs when I have a Scotch, this is what I got

--Opening the tin, it has a nice presentation. Well pressed together and easily flakes apart. No drying needed
--On the nose, pre light, reminded me of green apples, grassy notes and funk. Not too much like a good Jamaican rum funk but still unique. Almost musty. Unique and....strangely enticing
--Palate, grassy sweet notes with a spice sensation. The sweet note comes and goes. I felt like I was chasing the sweetness in waves.

From my 1st half bowl to my 3rd of the day I really enjoyed it.
Retrohaling helped open it up more for me.

Snuck in a quick half bowl of the Jupiter and REALLY liked it. It struck me as good to read to or whatever as it isn't one you have to constantly pay attention to for nuisances but once you retrohale it gets sooooo much better.
I'll right thoughts when I can enjoy a full bowl later today.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
CigarBid's special today is 10 La Aurora Corojo that have been aged for ten years, the initial bid (which most of the specials go for) is only $25. I believe these are a NewFateMike favorite?

Edit: Actually if these are aged 10 years then this probably the original La Aurora Corojo as opposed to the 1962 but no idea honestly.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 7, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Guess I’m double posting to say La Barba Purple was very good. Also my new patio heater should be here within the next week or so and I’m very excited. I’m currently wearing snow pants, jacket, hat, and gloves when I go out and it isn’t even that cold yet.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
Patio heater crew!

I plan on smoking tonight after a successful hunting season. I think I’m going with a Bolivar German regional lonsdale under the heater. It’s supposed to be in the mid 30s so hopefully we don’t get too much wind.

Look into merino wool base layers for outside smoking.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah double post, I'm guilty of it all over this thread.

I'm dying to get into the new place! Everything is kinda on hold purchasing wise until we get in there, same for my projects :(

E: I have recently been appreciating the everloving poo poo outta the Presbyterian mixture and Gold Block pipe tobaccos. I think I'm finally able to discern a lot better with pipe tobaccos now. Exciting!!

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 10, 2020

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Have you tried Nightcap? Very strong pipe tobacco.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh yeah, I'm a big fan. Haven't gotten a tin of it in a month or so, but I should really circle back to that and Ashton Artisans' Blend

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I smoked a bolivar German regional from 2009 last night (the especiales no 2 7.5”x38)

Goddamn that was a fantastic smoke. I remember buying a few boxes of them with my cousin back in 2010 and I think he still has some left. Gonna have to see if I can get him to come off another one.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
My B&M put the Opus X out today just as an FYI. I’ve never had one so I grabbed a couple.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Nice! They're really good. Don't make the most sense price wise, but definitely worth it every once in a while.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked one tonight. It was good but I don't get the hype. I bought three so I could smoke one tonight, smoke one after a couple of weeks, and hold onto one for a while so I'll report back later.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Lyon posted:

I smoked one tonight. It was good but I don't get the hype. I bought three so I could smoke one tonight, smoke one after a couple of weeks, and hold onto one for a while so I'll report back later.

I also don't get the hype.

Are they good? Sure, if that's your flavor profile.
Would I rather get something else, especially at that price point? Absolutely.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Had an unusual amount of work to do today, so I pulled one of my few remaining Tatuaje Havana VI Verocru petite coronas, and golly am I glad I did.

It's really enlightening to see the enormous difference between my humidor before active humidification and after.

These are great. Lots of dark chocolate with red fruit like cherries on a nice, woody backbone.

Really excited to get that humidor restocked!!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Santa Claus, pipe smoker:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/the-history-santa-claus-pipe-smoker

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I was testing out a CNC post processor and whaddya know, I accidentally a pipe rest

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That is an amazing pipe.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thank you! I think it's my favorite pipe so far :kimchi:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Whoever recommended the Curivari Cafe Noir to me, you are awesome and I appreciate you

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Dramatika posted:

Whoever recommended the Curivari Cafe Noir to me, you are awesome and I appreciate you

I’ve thrown that out there a few times, so I’ll take the credit.

Also check out the Achilles.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

ThatOneGuy posted:

I’ve thrown that out there a few times, so I’ll take the credit.

Also check out the Achilles.

I may do that! Thinking of picking up a box of the Cafe Noir 54 to keep around, as well as a couple Gloria de Leon's - might as well throw an Achilles on there too.

Speaking of boxes, I treated myself to an early self Christmas gift earlier this month, and am extremely excited.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Is Atlantic Cigars any good? And does anyone have any discount codes for them? They have a Curivari and a Warped sampler that I’m debating about getting myself for Christmas.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I order from them regularly - make an account because their prices are usually much lower when logged in.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

I order from them regularly - make an account because their prices are usually much lower when logged in.

Any discount codes floating around in your email? I will definitely make an account. All this Curivari talk made me want to try their stuff and I’ve been eyeing some Warped stuff but I saw Atlantic has a good sampler for both so I figure I’ll go that route.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I want to fire up the pipe again. I have some tobacco that's a few years old. dump it and start fresh or revive what I have by giving it a little spritz of water?

my buddy gave me a pipe with some casey jones last ride and captain black. I assume I should just start over with a fresh tin of something.

I don't really know what I like though. had some nightcap and q1 (I think) a while back but happy to hear suggestions on where I should start.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lyon posted:

Any discount codes floating around in your email? I will definitely make an account. All this Curivari talk made me want to try their stuff and I’ve been eyeing some Warped stuff but I saw Atlantic has a good sampler for both so I figure I’ll go that route.

None that I've got - I never subscribe to newsletters, unfortunately.

Planet X posted:

I want to fire up the pipe again. I have some tobacco that's a few years old. dump it and start fresh or revive what I have by giving it a little spritz of water?

my buddy gave me a pipe with some casey jones last ride and captain black. I assume I should just start over with a fresh tin of something.

I don't really know what I like though. had some nightcap and q1 (I think) a while back but happy to hear suggestions on where I should start.

I've never had much luck reviving pipe tobacco, and it's cheap enough that you might as well get some fresh.

Night Cap and Lane Ltd 1-Q are both fantastic, Sutliff Burma Road is also a great Latakia heavy blend that comes in bulk.

I like BCA Cavendish to mix with 1-Q and Stokkebye PS24 Nougat to add some depth as well.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Planet X posted:

If it's been stored well it's probably very well aged and is amazing. Don't just dump it willy nilly.

If it is extremely dry, give it a spritz and a toss and try it. Nothing to lose.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I ordered the warped and curivari samplers off Atlantic which are two of the smaller brands I’ve been wanting to try. I have smoked a few La Barba cigars recently and enjoyed them quite a bit, the ricochet and the purple in particular.

The patio heater got here and it’s pretty nice. I’ll have to see how it holds up when it gets really cold though. I’m not sure it’s worth $500 though, some design flaws that may get remedied in future iterations could make it a bit nicer. But it’s been nice to sit on my patio with a little pellet stove in just normal clothes instead of all bundled up.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I hope y'all have a delightful Christmas season! I believe Chanukah has ended, Kwanzaa starts this weekend, and Saturnalia is always a great time.

Regardless of what you celebrate or smoke, I'm pleased to have y'all in the thread ♥️

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Anyone smoking anything of note for Christmas day? I'm having some edibles and a Davidoff Mundano. I don't really go in for Davidoff, but this is quite lovely.

Pre light was all sweet grass and hay with some cocoa. The first inch or so has been effervescent earth and hay, really reminds me of the smell after rain.

The draw is, of course, perfect. It really feels like a super classic blend, aiming at a medium body woody profile. The San Andreas binder is really adding a lovely cocoa and sweet undertone. Really subtle, well built, and a great time.

If you like less intense cigars than I normally recommend, but still enjoy a full bodied experience go check it out. I have no idea what pricing is like since it was part of a promotion, so hopefully under $20, otherwise the field gets a little more filled out, even accounting for the Davidoff premium.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

They've got it listed as a Rhodesian, here's the original listing:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Rattrays/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=393190

Glad you like it! I love it myself.

This is, basically, back in stock as I'm torn between this, another Nording pipe or another Peterson

Either this Nording https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Nording/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=406821
This Peterson
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=404195

Or a pipe maker I don't know. As long as it's slightly bent, I'm interested lol

I need something to go with my handy dandy 7 pipe rack from my kids. 1 for each day of the week(not counting cobs)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

NewFatMike posted:

Anyone smoking anything of note for Christmas day? I'm having some edibles and a Davidoff Mundano. I don't really go in for Davidoff, but this is quite lovely.

I was looking forward to having a really nice cigar with my buddies today, but at the end of November I got a really bad case of necrotizing gingivitis, and it's been such a struggle to get my insurance in order to finally get it taken care of. I had a round of antibiotics that knocked the worst of it back, but I'm finally scheduled for some tests and stuff to see what it is that's still hanging around. I haven't had a cigar in like 6 weeks. I'm hoping to celebrate with something nice probably in January once I get my health stuff figured out.

I hope y'all are having a good Christmas! Light up something nice for me over the next week.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Have you had a P-Lip before?

I'm not a fan.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I was going to smoke a bolivar China regional on Xmas eve but we had 60mph gusts of wind that put a damper on that.

I’m off until at least Jan 4 (maybe the 11th if I decide to take a week off) so I’ll smoke it between now and then weather permitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Tiny Chalupa posted:

This is, basically, back in stock as I'm torn between this, another Nording pipe or another Peterson

Either this Nording https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Nording/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=406821
This Peterson
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=404195

Or a pipe maker I don't know. As long as it's slightly bent, I'm interested lol

I need something to go with my handy dandy 7 pipe rack from my kids. 1 for each day of the week(not counting cobs)

I do not envy needing to choose one, but at least you can't make a bad choice!

Kenning posted:

I was looking forward to having a really nice cigar with my buddies today, but at the end of November I got a really bad case of necrotizing gingivitis, and it's been such a struggle to get my insurance in order to finally get it taken care of. I had a round of antibiotics that knocked the worst of it back, but I'm finally scheduled for some tests and stuff to see what it is that's still hanging around. I haven't had a cigar in like 6 weeks. I'm hoping to celebrate with something nice probably in January once I get my health stuff figured out.

I hope y'all are having a good Christmas! Light up something nice for me over the next week.

Ouch! I hope it's not too discomforting yeesh. I hope it gets cleared up soon if not for smoking then to get something necrotizing out of your mouth!