Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

You forgot the part where he sues the person who told him to spend less money on booze.

While wearing 16 scarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Shia is well-documented as and is self-admittedly an abrasive rear end in a top hat and alcoholic, "anger issues" (not really a meaningful term) aside. I guess the difference is that when you're a white dude in Hollywood you can make a movie about it and get away with being a walking disaster pretty much forever, even if you lose parts over it.

All this stuff with twigs happened after Honey Boy was filmed, so that movie must have just been an easy cover for him.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/shia-labeouf-fka-twigs-sexual-battery-abusive-relationship-lawsuit-1234851796/

This article has the PDF of the lawsuit at the bottom. gently caress the dude.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think we all figured 'actual cannibal' had about a 50% chance to be true all along.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kangra posted:

I think we all figured 'actual cannibal' had about a 50% chance to be true all along.

Shia's come across as damaged as gently caress for years. It obviously doesn't excuse anything. He has the resources to seek help, instead he's used it as some kind of lever to get artistic credibility.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I found a very funny article that proposes maybe child stars don’t have to turn out hosed up and shia is in the very first sentence of the piece.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/27/movies/is-child-stardom-no-longer-a-life-sentence.html?referringSource=articleShare

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

inferis posted:

I found a very funny article that proposes maybe child stars don’t have to turn out hosed up and shia is in the very first sentence of the piece.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/27/movies/is-child-stardom-no-longer-a-life-sentence.html?referringSource=articleShare

It keeps going

quote:

"You're not necessarily going to end up being arrested for petty crime anymore," said Dan Schneider, the executive producer of Nickelodeon shows

quote:

Mr. Schneider noted that it seems Amanda Bynes, a star on Nickelodeon, has not had the same success as Ms. Lohan and Ms. Duff because she hasn't sexualized her image in the same way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't that almost certainly pedophile Dan Schneider

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

pentyne posted:

It keeps going

successful as lohan

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

inferis posted:

This article is so wrong about everything it reads like an parody article from the past intentionally written to be wrong.

It's like something The Onion would write for Our Dumb Century: https://www.theonion.com/c/our-dumb-century

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

inferis posted:

Holy poo poo this article.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't that almost certainly pedophile Dan Schneider

Yeah, it's the Dan Schneider who;
Held a contest on his shows for preteen girls to send him pictures of their feet.
Is heavily rumored to be the father of Jamie Lynn Spears baby.
Has been all but named by Amanda Bynes as the producer that raped her, the inciting incident for her heavy drug abuse and psychotic break.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also didn't he personally oversee Nickelodeon going from animation to a heavy focus on tween sitcoms

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also didn't he personally oversee Nickelodeon going from animation to a heavy focus on tween sitcoms

My understanding from animation podcasts I listen to is one day in 2007 they had a Nicktoons marathon which nobody watched and the next day they had a just Spongebob marathon which got millions of viewers at all times so the executives just said "gently caress it don't show anything except Spongebob from now on", apart from a few new ones they get from time to time like Loud House

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, it's the Dan Schneider who;
Held a contest on his shows for preteen girls to send him pictures of their feet.
Is heavily rumored to be the father of Jamie Lynn Spears baby.
Has been all but named by Amanda Bynes as the producer that raped her, the inciting incident for her heavy drug abuse and psychotic break.

There's tons of clips from the 2000s and 2010s era from the live action shows that had a gently caress ton of weird feet moments, including some show/webisodes with young Arianna Grande in character sticking her feet in her mouth and sucking her own toes.

There isn't a single show he was involved with that didn't have multiple extremely questionable things around the sexualization of young girls much less all his obvious foot fetish stuff.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 16, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

He's been a creep since Better Off Dead

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Dan “If you want a show, those socks got to go” Schneider

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Alan Smithee posted:

He's been a creep since Better Off Dead

Always trying to put his testicles all over everyone.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This thread had a weird Dan Schneider defender for a bit, which is probably the strangest thing that's happened here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snowman_McK posted:

This thread had a weird Dan Schneider defender for a bit, which is probably the strangest thing that's happened here.

Wait, really, Jesus gently caress. It's hosed up when people do it actors or directors who created important works of cinema, but I kinda get it, Chinatown is one of the best movies ever made. But if Drake and Josh is that important to you, maybe just stick to stanning Drake Bell

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Wait, really, Jesus gently caress. It's hosed up when people do it actors or directors who created important works of cinema, but I kinda get it, Chinatown is one of the best movies ever made. But if Drake and Josh is that important to you, maybe just stick to stanning Drake Bell

I have no idea where it is in this thread but it was someone who was very vocal about how unfair it was that Schneider hadn't been convicted and we were all so sure. It was the weirdest thing in this thread full of weird reactions to things

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I think in the case of Schneider it's not that people stan him, but that a lot of the anti-Schneider discourse is coming from 4chan weirdos. Some people feel the need to believe the opposite of whatever the trolls/paranoiacs believe/claim to believe. This is misguided, of course; there's some pretty strong circumstantial evidence that Schneider is a creep.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I dont remember that, but there's always a Jared Leto one when you post about him in other threads

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alan Smithee posted:

I dont remember that, but there's always a Jared Leto one when you post about him in other threads

I've decided I'm firmly on team "Jared Leto is a CIA op."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe they feel really strongly about Dennis Blunden.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

I have no idea where it is in this thread but it was someone who was very vocal about how unfair it was that Schneider hadn't been convicted and we were all so sure. It was the weirdest thing in this thread full of weird reactions to things

Perhaps this one:

21 Muns posted:

This literally has nothing to do with sexual assault; dude's just done working with Nickelodeon. Good for him; hope he enjoys his retirement (or whatever other project he's moving onto!). Please don't conflate cases where we have actual accusers and details of incidents with cases that are just salacious internet mobs driven by hate. If Dan Schneider were a creep, we would have found out about it a long time ago; he's an extremely important media figure. Nickelodeon isn't stupid, and Paramount is no Weinstein company. That said, if anything actually bad comes out about Dan I will eat my words on this. (It's not going to; he's fine.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

You might be thinking of me. I heard, so many times, in different places, that Leto was just about to get done for MeToo, for several years. In the lead up to Suicide Squad, while it was released and afterwards too.

I actually do not doubt that he's a creep, and when stuff comes out I will not be surprised. It was just the same post over and over, sure that it was just about to happen, that ended up creating a strange pavlovian response. I'm sorry for that.

Zogo posted:

Perhaps this one:

That is the one and that guy is permabanned now, which is...not terribly surprising.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

That is the one and that guy is permabanned now, which is...not terribly surprising.
but also, read the post that got him perma'd :stare:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gotta love the people who believe everything is a conspiracy except actual conspiracies.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gotta love the people who believe everything is a conspiracy except actual conspiracies.

Or they completely dismiss something reasonably plausible (Schenider constantly tweeted, from his OWN ACCOUNT, underage foot fetish poo poo) then 100% agree with some infowars/Drudge report/Project Veritas poo poo because the targets are people they don't like.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
AKA the Glenn Greenwald approach.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It came out that Redskins/WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM owner Dan Snyder had a 1.6 million sexual misconduct settlement against him made in secret in 2009.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/daniel-snyder-sexual-misconduct-settlement/2020/12/22/f81131d8-4339-11eb-a277-49a6d1f9dff1_story.html

The lawsuit has not been fully publicized and Snyder is fighting tooth and nail to keep it private while making up stories about why they actually fired the woman.

40 women have made sexual harassment claims while working with the team and it appears at this point to be centered around trying to use the cheerleading squad as prostitutes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/sports/redskins-cheerleaders-nfl.html

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm very confused by the FKA Twigs/LaBeof thing. I know 100% Shia is a giant piece of poo poo manchild with obvious addiction/maturity issues. He has proven that dozens of times over the years. But why is this a lawsuit? Shouldn't Twigs be reporting his actions to the police if he sexual battered her? Why just make him pay some cash if he hurt her like that? He should be in jail if he is sexually abusing her!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

coronavirus posted:

I'm very confused by the FKA Twigs/LaBeof thing. I know 100% Shia is a giant piece of poo poo manchild with obvious addiction/maturity issues. He has proven that dozens of times over the years. But why is this a lawsuit? Shouldn't Twigs be reporting his actions to the police if he sexual battered her? Why just make him pay some cash if he hurt her like that? He should be in jail if he is sexually abusing her!

Legal standards of proof are lower in a civil action, plus it's up to the prosecutor to bring criminal charges, not FKA Twigs.

It's also worth noting that while LaBeouf says some of the actions he's accused of are untrue he admits to being abusive in his past relationships.

https://nyti.ms/37Q2lXg

quote:

“I’m not in any position to tell anyone how my behavior made them feel,” he said in an email to The New York Times. “I have no excuses for my alcoholism or aggression, only rationalizations. I have been abusive to myself and everyone around me for years. I have a history of hurting the people closest to me. I’m ashamed of that history and am sorry to those I hurt. There is nothing else I can really say.”

quote:

Presented with a detailed account of the claims that the women made against him, in interviews and subsequently in the lawsuit, Mr. LaBeouf, responding in a separate email, wrote that “many of these allegations are not true.” But, he continued, he owed the women “the opportunity to air their statements publicly and accept accountability for those things I have done.”

He added that he was “a sober member of a 12-step program” and in therapy. “I am not cured of my PTSD and alcoholism," he wrote, “but I am committed to doing what I need to do to recover, and I will forever be sorry to the people that I may have harmed along the way.”

Double edit: I'm not positive but it also looks like the statute of limitations would be expired for criminal accusations of sexual assault, but not civil suits. There's no statute of limitations in California for rape but her accusations don't include rape.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 22, 2020

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Legal standards of proof are lower in a civil action, plus it's up to the prosecutor to bring criminal charges, not FKA Twigs.

It's also worth noting that while LaBeouf says some of the actions he's accused of are untrue he admits to being abusive in his past relationships.

https://nyti.ms/37Q2lXg

Double edit: I'm not positive but it also looks like the statute of limitations would be expired for criminal accusations of sexual assault, but not civil suits. There's no statute of limitations in California for rape but her accusations don't include rape.

Theres no way she wouldnt be able to file and press charges for domestic violence and sexual assault if this happened in the past few years. I believe in particular DV in CA has a 5 year reporting window. I don't doubt at all that he did all of this vile things based on his track record, but I don't understand just going after him financially. Why not put him in jail?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

coronavirus posted:

Theres no way she wouldnt be able to file and press charges for domestic violence and sexual assault if this happened in the past few years. I believe in particular DV in CA has a 5 year reporting window. I don't doubt at all that he did all of this vile things based on his track record, but I don't understand just going after him financially. Why not put him in jail?

You'd have to convince the state to press charges and that can be a lot tougher.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Double checking, statute of limitations in California is now eight years for criminal charges based on domestic violence, but when the alleged offense happened it was only three years and because of how laws work it's not retroactive to events that happened before the law was changed.

So criminal charges aren't possible regarding Shia Lebeouf's alleged treatment of FKA Twigs.

And again, even if they were

Skwirl posted:

A civil suit is literally her only option aside from pretending it didn't happen.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Double checking, statute of limitations in California is now eight years for criminal charges based on domestic violence, but when the alleged offense happened it was only three years and because of how laws work it's not retroactive to events that happened before the law was changed.

So criminal charges aren't possible regarding Shia Lebeouf's alleged treatment of FKA Twigs.

And again, even if they were

A civil suit is literally her only option aside from pretending it didn't happen.

If its a 3 year window, and it happened in 2019, she could report it. Maybe she already did and they told her to pound sand.But if she didn't report it to police, how are they going to decide whether to proceed with charges or not? I just would rather see him in jail. He has a ton of money. This wont affect him much.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The legal standard for proof is much higher in a criminal case, so there's also a greater risk that he wouldn't be convicted. This way she's more likely to get a judge to say he did do all these things, even if the money isn't of great concern to her. It's similar to Heard & Depp in that way.

Of course none of us know exactly why she's taken it to a civil suit rather than criminal, but these are all possible reasons that make it an easier and more effective route to take.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1342198260757368843?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m assuming this is just a veiled shot at his victims.