Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I finally got around to reading Last Stand of The Tin Can Sailors (it owns, BTW), and how on earth has it not been made into a movie or miniseries yet?

Is it because it'd mean depicting Halsey as a fuckup if you wanted to be historically accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The lone squiggle out west seems to be the California Central Railroad, incorporated April 21 1857, completed October 31 1861 between Folsom and Lincoln.

Not to be confused with the California Central Railway of southern California.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cessna posted:

The Union did do cavalry raids. The Chambersburg/Chickahominy raid of 1862, or Grierson's Raid (part of Vicksburg) for examples. But, yes, they weren't as common, or as into rounding up innocent people and forcing them into slavery.

For another unpleasant fact, in the pre-war South mounted patrols of slave catchers were relatively common, giving southerners another way of practicing their cavalry skills.

Yeah sorry, didn't mean to discount them. What I meant was that for the North cavalry raids were generally an activity in conjunction with a larger army campaign for the purpose of supporting the success of that campaign, whereas in the South raiding was a strategic task in itself (to take the fight to Northern soil and impact war support).

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Alchenar posted:

Yeah sorry, didn't mean to discount them. What I meant was that for the North cavalry raids were generally an activity in conjunction with a larger army campaign for the purpose of supporting the success of that campaign, whereas in the South raiding was a strategic task in itself (to take the fight to Northern soil and impact war support).

Agreed, well said.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Not steel yet, as the Bessemer process had been proven but not operationalized. But there were improvements in metallurgy and processes with cast and wrought iron.

The Confederates had a hard time building certain kinds of guns, particularly rifled guns, due to limitations in technology.

The Confederates managed to produce a number of knock off Parrott rifles. The basic tech behind them isn't complex from a metallurgy perspective but they are a bit more complex than a bronze gun. The basic idea is you surround the breach with wrought iron which is stronger than cast. Since that is where most of the pressure pushing on the barrel is, by strengthening just that area it's less prone to explode in a way the crew wouldn't like. By all accounts, the Southern knock offs were more prone to barrels bursting. But the upside to them is that they were pretty cheap to make. Union producers were making them for around $180 a gun vs the $600 a 12 pounder cost. You get better accuracy with the Parrott but it's canister is less effective.

Where the South really struggled was trying to make knock offs of the 3 inch Ordnance gun. One of the big issues with using wrought iron is that when you use a hammer to form it, you don't get uniform strength. So the weak bits eventually crack. Sometimes violently. So with the 3 inch Ordnance gun, what Griffen figured out, and what Reeves improved was, that if you take a core of wrought iron and then wrap bars (later sheets) around it, you can then reheat the whole thing and weld it together. That gets a much more uniform strength. The part the South struggled with was the next bit. Where you basically drill out the center. And all of the wrought iron core were drilled out. The north struggled with it as well. The original Griffen guns only had one good barrel for every three attempts. They got it up to 60% but it was Reeve's variation that got much high production results.

The accounts I've read seem to indicate that the Parrott rifles were considered slightly more accurate but the 3 inch Ordnance guns were much more desirable because they didn't blow up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bob Stockon’s failure to replicate a built‐up gun killed two cabinet secretaries in 1844.

It’s a shame that John Ericsson, who built the good gun that Stockton ineptly aped, caught flak for the incident. He would later go on to design the Monitor.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I finally got around to reading Last Stand of The Tin Can Sailors (it owns, BTW), and how on earth has it not been made into a movie or miniseries yet?

Is it because it'd mean depicting Halsey as a fuckup if you wanted to be historically accurate?

You'd have to depict the Americans making the mistakes that exposed Taffy 3 to attack in the first place.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Morholt posted:

Why did Warspite have casemate guns? I thought those were obsolete post Dreadnought. Were they used at all in bombardments?

In addition to what was previously said about casemates specifically, Dreadnought's revolution is less about casemates than about large-caliber secondary guns. Dreadnought herself eschewed the mixed battery but retained a number of small weapons to deter torpedo boats. As torpedo boats (and destroyers) rapidly grew in size and torpedoes in range, battleships required larger guns with heavier shells and greater ranges to keep the torpedo threat at bay.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Yvonmukluk posted:

I've thought about this on and off for a long time, and I think it comes down to the simple fact it'd be a hard film to write and even harder to film. Not impossible, but difficult enough that it would deter all but the most dedicated screenwriter, and (to date) all directors and production companies.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've thought about this on and off for a long time, and I think it comes down to the simple fact it'd be a hard film to write and even harder to film. Not impossible, but difficult enough that it would deter all but the most dedicated screenwriter, and (to date) all directors and production companies.
Also, there's no real demonstrated market demand for WWII naval movies. MIDWAY and GREYHOUND didn't exactly do gangbuster business.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Did Greyhound even released in theaters before covid shut it all down? I don't think you can measure anything by it. And Midway just sucked.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Can’t imagine Halsey is a big enough name to the average person that they’d be upset if he was portrayed poorly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yvonmukluk posted:

THE WORLD WONDERS

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone for the incredible detail about ACW era cannons, that was way more than I expected.

Followup question: How did gunners track their own shots to check accuracy? Were they using telescopes or naked eye?

I was comparing landmarks to the map and I doubt I could see a shot land more than 1000yds out. I'd blame the light fog but probably gettin old.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

I'm not a big ASL fan,* but I'd be happy to go against you in any number of other hex-and-counter wargames.

* (Edit: There's just too much stuff. I played back in the day, but had to sell off what I had when I was in the service due to the space it took up. Now I have the space, but there's just so much stuff - the price of entry at the level I'd want to get into it in would be a lot.)

*Stares at his pdf collection of scenarios and VASSAL-engine platform module*

Yeah...

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Thanks everyone for the incredible detail about ACW era cannons, that was way more than I expected.

Followup question: How did gunners track their own shots to check accuracy? Were they using telescopes or naked eye?

I was comparing landmarks to the map and I doubt I could see a shot land more than 1000yds out. I'd blame the light fog but probably gettin old.
The kinetic energy contained in a 12lb cannonball with a muzzle velocity of 1500 fps is crazy. Rough napkin math says an average .30-06 has ~3,000ft/lbs of muzzle energy. A 12lb Napoleon has ~420,000ft/lb of muzzle energy (~140x as much). Unless it's real muddy and real foggy, you're gonna notice when it hits something. There are anecdotes I recall from the Napoleonic era (with somewhat lower muzzle velocities vs ACW per Cessna) of a glancing hit from round shot that had already bounced once or twice still tearing an arm or leg completely off.

E: hopefully corrected bad math

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 23, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There are anecdotes I recall from the Napoleonic era (with somewhat lower muzzle velocities vs ACW per Cessna) of a glancing hit from round shot that had already bounced once or twice still tearing an arm or leg completely off.

And of course the stories of soldiers seeing a bouncing cannonball "slowly" making its way toward their line, so they stick a foot out to stop it...

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Are there any reenactments that fire actual shot and not just powder charges? I really want to see this now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Are there any reenactments that fire actual shot and not just powder charges? I really want to see this now.

Hyneman and Savage et al. demonstrated it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

This video is great. I think they are firing round shot, but somehow it still looks like explosions. Also that noise.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL1DkrYL70s

E: Also pretty impressive accuracy-they're clearly at several hundred yards and directly hit the target APC plenty of times. And it appears to be a smoothbore gun? Definitely not a Parrot or Ordnance Rifle.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 23, 2020

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And of course the stories of soldiers seeing a bouncing cannonball "slowly" making its way toward their line, so they stick a foot out to stop it...

This'd be either the best or worst World Cup.

Also this post and your av saying "Hubris" is a great combo.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How much KE as rotation does a cannonball end up with?

Did land artillery volley-fire at a common elevation and orientation like naval guns so they could see where their shot landed, or did each gun fire as fast as it could and choose their elevation etc as they felt best?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 23, 2020

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iy7fSxFpAA

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Judging by the recoil in this vs. the video I linked above, it seems like they must be using pretty light charges in this video? Or maybe there is something different in the guns/carriages?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What about in person demonstrations? I've seen plenty of videos of cannons but I want the sound/feeling of a black powder cannon.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FMguru posted:

Also, there's no real demonstrated market demand for WWII naval movies. MIDWAY and GREYHOUND didn't exactly do gangbuster business.

Did anybody see Greyhound? I wanted to watch it, but I don't have Apple plus or whatever it is that would let me actually see it.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

I saw it and quite enjoyed it, although at this point I basically just remember Tom Hanks yelling HARD TO PORT for an hour and a half. I've been told by people in the Navy that it's a pretty accurate depiction of what it's like to be on the bridge of a surface combatant in a combat situation.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

What about in person demonstrations? I've seen plenty of videos of cannons but I want the sound/feeling of a black powder cannon.

Firing Napoleonic artillery should be an Olympic sport. Add horses and time to move, unlimber, deploy, fire, hit the target, reload and fire 3 times, relimber and get back to the start line.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 23, 2020

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Did anybody see Greyhound? I wanted to watch it, but I don't have Apple plus or whatever it is that would let me actually see it.

I've heard good things from people who are both into WWII navy stuff and people who aren't, but I haven't watched it myself cause I'm not gonna get a whole new streaming service for one movie that I don't even think I'd like. (As in personally like because it's not my preferred genre, not that I think it's bad. My interest in milhist movies starts to fade after the 18th century and then just craters post-WWI, but that's not a condemnation or nothing, just my own specific taste.)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Comstar posted:

Firing Napoleonic artillery should be an Olympic sport. Add horses and time to move, unlimber, deploy, fire, hit the target, reload and fire 3 times, relimber and get back to the start line.

Sadly there's no shooting but yeah. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lhx6Q3WuvU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Arrinien posted:

I saw it and quite enjoyed it, although at this point I basically just remember Tom Hanks yelling HARD TO PORT for an hour and a half. I've been told by people in the Navy that it's a pretty accurate depiction of what it's like to be on the bridge of a surface combatant in a combat situation.
It was an incredibly straightforward movie. All but about four minutes were this destroyer, the convoy it was trying to protect, and the perilous crossing of the mid-atlantic gap between US/UK air cover. No side plots, no love interests (Elzabeth Shue shows up in one scene at the very start, and that's it), no character arcs, no narrative twists - just trying to get those ships across safely. Stripped-down and very to the point, in a way that's extremely rare these days.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I've been around them several times. They're much louder than you expect them to be. A 2-pounder firing a quarter charge was enough to make it feel like an ice pick was jammed in my ear when I didn't cover it while standing 20 yards away.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

With black powder cannons having that much energy... how modern a tank would you need to be able to shrug off a direct hit from a black powder cannon - say a Napoleonic one?

Obviously a modern tank would ignore it, but would a T-34? A sherman? A Renault FT?

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 23, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The hundred‐tonne guns could smoke a Maus.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The major issue you're going to get is spalling, right? When did spall liners become a significant thing?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Platystemon posted:

The hundred‐tonne guns could smoke a Maus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKmi0PN7LxM

"Oh hey royal navy buy my big guns"
"No"
"Okay I sold them to the Italian navy and now they have bigger guns than you"
"poo poo"
"So now you will buy my guns?"
"Of course, have a peerage and some medals too old chap"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Join a reenacting group and hope you are one of the ones that live fires once or twice a year. i've done it; it's cool. the most interesting thing was the smacking noise of canister hitting tree branches. Low flat "someone is hitting these branches" noises.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 23, 2020

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comstar posted:

Unlimbering and getting into line is much more complex than you probably assume.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

I've been around them several times. They're much louder than you expect them to be. A 2-pounder firing a quarter charge was enough to make it feel like an ice pick was jammed in my ear when I didn't cover it while standing 20 yards away.
if the people who were doing it were anything similar to the people I was with 20 years ago they would have told the spectators to cover their ears and open their mouths. were you not listening?

if they didn't tell you that's their fault. There are a lot of reenactors who have just awful safety.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I had this tab open from the other day when we were discussing advances in metallurgy applicable to cannons, and it’s a good look at one such advancement.

Cool your castings from the inside and they’ll be stronger.