Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Snowy posted:

I’m watching phantom menace now (I’m on a taco break) and he’s believable as a kid but the writing doesn’t sound like a child at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxcKNs8R9AE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

alexandriao posted:

The last movie really isn't worth time talking about. There are some interesting plot threads but I'm not going to dig through that pile of dung.

I don't know which MST3k it is, but there's a riff that goes something like:

"This isn't a real movie, it's more of a movie loaf."
"Yeah, it's made from real movie parts, chunked and formed."

That's pretty much how I view ROS and I at least enjoyed myself while observing it.

Much like how I enjoy meatloaf.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

They send her in a open casket funeral boat over a the waterfall in Theed City on Naboo and that thing was like 4x the size of Niagara Falls. So if she wasn't dead before that, she definitely was by the time she hit the water blow.

They chopped Maul in half, I find your lack of star wars logic disturbing

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cage Kicker posted:

Boba Fett - cloned son of Jango Fett who was easily dismembered and decapitated failing to understand the 21 foot rule, and of the same stock as the clone troopers who were mowed down as blades of grass - was sent to his doom in the belly of a Sarlacc by a flailing blind man, and was then relentlessly retconned forever into finally becoming a badass 40 years later.

Anything goes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd say take a look at compressed air guns. Several Star Wars blasters already use them as a base. Many barely would need modification to look like a blaster.

Another option would be competition sport-shooting weapons for funky/high tech looking ones. I believe some of the Naboo blasters were based on these. This Hammerli 280 already looks perfect as a blaster if you don't mind the funky super-ergo grip.

One of the most ubiquitos blasters in the star wars universe, the DL-18, is based on an air pistol form the 70s. The Panther R0 72.

I think almost all of those have already been used in Star Wars for real.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah thats the sport pistol I was referring to. The guard captain... Panaka? used a different air pistol.

The Naboo Guard were also armed with dressed up Calico Pistol/Carbines :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cage Kicker posted:

For what it's worth, in the Vader comics, one of Padme's lookalike handmaidens shows up to gaslight Vader into thinking Padme's still alive because she found out he was Anakin Skywalker and was out for revenge for what he did to her old boss.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Anything in Star Wars based on the Mateba? I always thought it would make a good blaster, it’s so chunky. Might be a bit costly to turn into a prop though

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

For what it's worth, in the Vader comics, one of Padme's lookalike handmaidens shows up to gaslight Vader into thinking Padme's still alive because she found out he was Anakin Skywalker and was out for revenge for what he did to her old boss.

wait which run? ive only read the 2017 marvel one

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

chitoryu12 posted:

I think almost all of those have already been used in Star Wars for real.

I love this hand cannon design so much and it’s partly because I was one of those scumbags who used it exclusively while playing Officer in BF2. That thing could snipe people halfway across the map.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kanine posted:

wait which run? ive only read the 2017 marvel one

The Darth Vader 2020 series by Greg Pak.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skasion posted:

Anything in Star Wars based on the Mateba? I always thought it would make a good blaster, it’s so chunky. Might be a bit costly to turn into a prop though

Not sure off hand, but this would be the place to check out.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Star_Wars

It’s so weird seeing AR variants in Star Wars movies, but eh the designs have been pretty cool for the most part. Hell you’d never realize there is a Deagle in TFA. Rogue One, beyond ARs, also has M60s and even a FN5.7 in there, along with good old WWII stuff.

Honestly one of the weirdest things about Star Wars is the stagnant technology...Especially when you look at how the old republic and the clone war era republic seem pretty much the same. But unlike 40K the difference seems that people can keep making stuff, nothing new seems to occur (new stuff used), but nothing that screams thousands of years of technology.

It’s so weird and also it kind of makes playing the old republic (though fun) a little frustrating in the sense that for story reasons it’s set super far away from the movies, but still kind of look like the prequel movies.

Such a shame I never really got a chance to play galaxies since It was set in the OT.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

euphronius posted:

Lucas was purposefully not aiming for naturalistic in those movies

He wasn’t trying for it all except a few highly emotional moments

That goes to the whole thing where he’d have the actors get flatter and flatter especially Padme and other Republic and Jedi representatives

Sidious of course cackles with evil joy

It’s quite effective

Effective at being a piece of poo poo.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I kind of find that part of the interesting thing about the SW universe: they reached peak technology thousands of years ago. That's why things are so pedestrian and therefore lived in. They figured out hyperspace travel and that's as fast as possible. They have FTL communication across star systems and it may be a little janky looking but hey you can still have a video chat with somebody tens of thousands of light years away. At the same time, you look at official maps and there is STILL a massive part of the galaxy that is completely unexplored.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Not sure off hand, but this would be the place to check out.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Star_Wars

It’s so weird seeing AR variants in Star Wars movies, but eh the designs have been pretty cool for the most part. Hell you’d never realize there is a Deagle in TFA. Rogue One, beyond ARs, also has M60s and even a FN5.7 in there, along with good old WWII stuff.

Honestly one of the weirdest things about Star Wars is the stagnant technology...Especially when you look at how the old republic and the clone war era republic seem pretty much the same. But unlike 40K the difference seems that people can keep making stuff, nothing new seems to occur (new stuff used), but nothing that screams thousands of years of technology.

It’s so weird and also it kind of makes playing the old republic (though fun) a little frustrating in the sense that for story reasons it’s set super far away from the movies, but still kind of look like the prequel movies.

Such a shame I never really got a chance to play galaxies since It was set in the OT.

There's an old website, stardestroyer.net, by an engineer who analyzes Star Wars and Star Trek using scientific principles to determine exactly what their capabilities are. He makes a credible argument that the Star Wars galaxy has probably developed about as far as they can go without getting into seriously wacky poo poo like time travel or dimension hopping (minus hyperspace). Particle beam weapons are so cheap that even the poor have them, traveling across an entire galaxy in days is as normal as international travel is to us, and the galactic galaxy can repeatedly make planet-destroying superweapons the size of moons. The power level of the setting is immense and we just don't really acknowledge it because it's so average from the characters' perspective.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kanine posted:

im doing another round of star wars blaster collage/photobash designs.

id love suggestions on real life guns that you think would make bases for cool blasters?

Someone already said the FN FAL which would be cool. I’ll throw out the similar HK G3, as those two would give you a variety of barrels and stocks and whatnot to try. The FG42 could probably work, as the various versions of which already looked kinda crazy. Another option would be the classic Thompson, which was the base for the infamous M41A pulse rifle from Aliens.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think the obvious go-to would be the Whitney Wolverine, especially for your slick, well-to-do troublemaker types. Really, all it needs is a slightly extended barrel and an unnecessary (and chrome-plated) scope.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Started watching the Clone Wards cartoon.... there's like a TON of episodes here. This is gonna take a long time to get through...

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Started watching the Clone Wards cartoon.... there's like a TON of episodes here. This is gonna take a long time to get through...

If I remember it’s pretty rough for a while...I can’t recall when it gets better, but it does from what I’ve seen. Animation certainly does.

Also the final season Disney did, the animation in the last few episodes is phenomenal.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Seasons 6 and 7 both look really good. Before that the quality improves fairly steadily from 1-5, but there’s a big jump in budget (I assume) after they got canned

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Google up a curated episode list for your own sanity. A lot of the stuff in seasons 1-3 can be skipped.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Cartoon Man posted:

Google up a curated episode list for your own sanity. A lot of the stuff in seasons 1-3 can be skipped.

Does this look like a good one?

https://sciencefiction.com/2020/02/11/disney-curated-a-listed-of-essential-clone-wars-episodes/

Cutting it all the way down to 20 seems drastic but if that’s all I really need to see I’d be happy to cut out a lot of crap.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I thought about using a guide, but the ones I’ve seen had you jumping to random seasons between each batch of episodes. That sounded kinda annoying to do so I stick with just watching them in order. I’m like 15 into season 1 now... if there’s a better list that goes in season order I wouldn’t be opposed to following it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There’s just no way I’m watching 133 episodes of clone wars so I’m glad to hear someone figured out what to skip.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I thought about using a guide, but the ones I’ve seen had you jumping to random seasons between each batch of episodes. That sounded kinda annoying to do so I stick with just watching them in order. I’m like 15 into season 1 now... if there’s a better list that goes in season order I wouldn’t be opposed to following it

The show was released out of chronological order for production reasons. E.g. Domino Squad gets trashed in season 1, but you don’t see where they came from until season 3. Some guides recommend putting everything back in chronological order but I wouldn’t. The out-of-orderness is never so bad that it doesn’t make sense.

This is the guide I used the first time I watched the show. Everything highlighted or footnoted on here is more or less watchable, plus all of seasons 6 and 7.

skasion fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 23, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

skasion posted:

The out-of-orderness is never so bad that it doesn’t make sense.
The only time I think it matters is for the S1 finale (Hostage Crisis).

In release order it's the first Cad Bane episode and introduces him in the middle of a high-stakes scheme on Coruscant that isn't set up or resolved until S3.

Then the first S2 episodes have an actual introduction to Bane while he is undertaking a completely different scheme.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The only thing that I found that was really improved in the Special Editions was adding all the windows to the Cloud City. It really was impressive.

Also a friend of mine and I are convinced that the relationship with Anakin and Padme works if you go by the theory that Anakin was subconsciously using the Force to manipulate Padme to love him. His desires and fears were being used to manifest the relationship. This was part of his slide into the Dark Side. Without this, Padme would have never been in a relationship with Anakin beyond "Oh he was such a nice kid and now he's a Jedi. How nice for him!".

Basically Padme was raped.

Maybe? I'm not sure how you really plumb the degrees of influence within that relationship - especially if you're talking about subconscious mind control.

So, starting out, Pod-racing and instant star-ship flying aside, this is a time where the Force was asleep. Basically if you wanted to do mind control or telekinesis or what-have-you, somebody needed to teach you how to do it. Which means Anakin doesn't put any kind of whammy on Padme when he's 9 and she's 14 when they first meet.

However, we know, or at least can infer that they stay in contact while she's a Senator/Queen and he's training as a Jedi over the next ten years.

And I kind of get that because figure during that time Anakin is probably one of the very few beings that doesn't want something from her. Help in a dispute. Political support. Money. That little kid-eventual teenager-eventual adult human male is one of the few people who cares about Padme as Padme and not as Senator/Queen Amidala.

Of course Queen Amidala is an important political ally of the Jedi Council so they're okay if she's taken a friendly interest in one of their trainees. And if someone were to speak against it, well, Chancellor Palpatine would defend the Queen's right to keep in touch with her young friend.

So right when he's just right for "puppy love to teenage attraction to adult lust/love" Padme is right there in front of Anakin at all times.

It's a deeply hosed up situation that anyone with a cursory understanding of human nature would see as extremely problematic, but when it comes to that, the Jedi Council is dumber than a sack of lightsabers so of course they let it continue.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its a shame Cad Bane is dead, he would've been interesting to have show up in The Mandalorian.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
The "essential episode" guy tips his hands when he includes the Ahsoka cheesecake episode as an absolute "must see".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its a shame Cad Bane is dead, he would've been interesting to have show up in The Mandalorian.

Is he dead in canon?

Wouldn't be shocked to see Aurra Sing back either since her death would be easy to retcon or explain.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
To provide another option, the guide someone mentioned in a previous thread, which I've been using myself the last few weeks to rewatch the show, is this one which puts the episodes in mostly chronological order and cuts it down to about 55 episodes from the 108 of the first 5 seasons. There is a bit of skipping back and forth between seasons early on, but it's mainly to keep some of the plot threads in order, such as the aforementioned stuff with Domino Squad (Their training episode is 3-1, but their first assignment is 1-5, they show up in a few other episodes after, and then 3-2 has them as vets getting promoted) and a few others (Like the very first episode actually being 2-16). Note the guide is a few years old, so it doesn't include season 7, but the general view I've seen expressed is you can pretty much watch all of both seasons 6 and 7 as they are good and all sequential. And while it's easy to find, for the lazy, here's the full chronological order listing.

How much the chronological order matters may vary to person to person. I know one of the first times I tried to watch the show, after it's original run ended, it kinda threw me off a little going in broadcast order, as I tend to prefer the sequential order. Ultimately, the show is good, so go with whatever viewing order or system you think will work best for your habits.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

VinylonUnderground posted:

The "essential episode" guy tips his hands when he includes the Ahsoka cheesecake episode as an absolute "must see".

which episode was this? I need to know to avoid watching it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

VinylonUnderground posted:

lol whats this?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
beaten.... but also still very curious.,.. for personal reasons.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Smythe posted:

beaten.... but also still very curious.,.. for personal reasons.

Kadavo arc i'm pretty sure

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is he dead in canon?

Wouldn't be shocked to see Aurra Sing back either since her death would be easy to retcon or explain.

Dethaw him from carbinonite and he hasn't aged a day. :p

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of Carbonite I’m kind of confused in empire they make Carbonite seem like a dangerous non-standard procedure, well for organic beings. The Mandalorian and other cartoon stuff it seems like it’s just a normal method of transport.

So I’m kind of confused on which it is. Granted Empire can be hand waved by saying it was a non-standard way of doing it, not the Carbonite concept itself.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
That’s exactly it, the Cloud City facilities are crude and not made for that kind of freezing.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Speaking of Carbonite I’m kind of confused in empire they make Carbonite seem like a dangerous non-standard procedure, well for organic beings. The Mandalorian and other cartoon stuff it seems like it’s just a normal method of transport.

So I’m kind of confused on which it is. Granted Empire can be hand waved by saying it was a non-standard way of doing it, not the Carbonite concept itself.

Bespin might not have the best safety regulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay cool that explains things.