Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also everyone should want to be a wolf, frankly you're an absolute fool if you don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The stylization was absolutely next level though. All that perspective fuckery, haven't seen anything like that since Thief & the Cobbler

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Looper posted:

also everyone should want to be a wolf, frankly you're an absolute fool if you don't

Co-signed. Both my kids want to be wolves for Halloween next year if it's happening.

I will say that the Aurora song from Wolfwalkers is starting to get on my nerves a lot faster than the Aurora song from Frozen 2. Maybe it's just quarantine talking but I am losing it with my kids trying to sing it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Co-signed. Both my kids want to be wolves for Halloween next year if it's happening.

I will say that the Aurora song from Wolfwalkers is starting to get on my nerves a lot faster than the Aurora song from Frozen 2. Maybe it's just quarantine talking but I am losing it with my kids trying to sing it.

Yeah I like Aurora's music but that one doesn't hold up so well on repeat listens.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
wizards is a masterpiece

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

my favourite thing about wizards is that the plotline sounds like a total mess when you describe it to someone else, and it is, but while you're watching the film it all falls together in a way that's totally cohesive and understandable. it's like fellini's satyricon

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I've been rewatching Futurama and came across this interesting interview with Matt Groening from shortly before it premiered:

quote:

You did a recent sequence in your comic strip “Life in Hell” mocking some of the horrors of doing business in Hollywood. Were those inspired by your experience getting “Futurama” on the air?

Yes. It has been by far the worst experience of my grown-up life. Just as far as business, and I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised because this is how everyone is treated. But I thought I would have a little bit more leeway since I made Fox so much money with “The Simpsons.”
The second they ordered it, they completely freaked out and were afraid the show was too dark and mean-spirited, and thought they had made a huge mistake and that the only way they could address their anxieties was to try to make me as crazy as possible with their frustrations.
The other thing is, it’s just astonishing to have this lesson repeated over and over again: You can’t expect people to behave in their own best interest. It’s in Fox’s best interest for this show to be a success, but they’d rather mess with the show and have them fail, than allow creators independence and let them succeed. “The Simpsons” obviously is a huge success and Fox has nothing to do with its success, with its creative success, and as a result they don’t really like the show. They don’t like “The Simpsons” at Fox.

I wonder if this is still remotely the case or whether the streaming services are much more likely to let the showrunner follow their vision.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All sorts of businesses are afflicted with leaders who'd rather feel in control than succeed.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

All sorts of businesses are afflicted with leaders who'd rather feel in control than succeed.

Yeah but I wonder if the marketplace has shifted so much that they're afraid of alienating successful creators they way Fox executives weren't back in the days that they were basically the only network bankrolling animated shows for adults.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Bongo Bill posted:

bakshi's career is fascinating because of this, because he is a personality who's not easy to control (mostly because i don't think money means anything to him). everybody in the business recognised he was a creative genius, but the actual products of that genius were chaotic and scared the poo poo out of them. so all his movies got tampered with - except heavy traffic and wizards, which he mostly had total freedom with and they're so much better for it - but there were some things he wouldn't budge on, i.e. darkness and sex. so it's just the scripts that got butchered, you end up with something that makes zero sense but still has this incredible deranged atmosphere that the suits couldn't ruin because bakshi wouldn't allow it. there were actual behind-the-scenes fist fights on some productions

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i love cool world. i love it. it's loving terrible but i love it

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

like on one hand there's the relationship between bakshi and the executives, which is 100% hostile

but then there's the relationship between bakshi and the art crew, which is like

b: *massive bong rip* new york but it's hosed and all the skyscrapers are grinning at you and the city hates everybody
background artist: ah yes *draws exactly that, perfectly*

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

perepelki posted:

i love cool world. i love it. it's loving terrible but i love it

Who did those layouts? :eyepop:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For some reason that screenshot gives me Neverhood style adventure game vibes.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Neon Noodle posted:

Who did those layouts? :eyepop:
barry e jackson did the background art and louise zingarelli did the storyboards, but that's all i can tell you :(

while looking for that, instead i found this

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just finished Klaus. It was very good.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ghibli 3D trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk5YWIbwzRE

I think it looks pretty good but not exactly breathtaking. Maybe I set my expectations a little high.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

flashy_mcflash posted:

Maybe I set my expectations a little high.
Well they put the "Studio Ghibli" name on it, so you have to compare it to other things under that label.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think part of it might be that I was just spoiled by Wolfwalkers. I know it's completely different art styles and obviously studios but I didn't quite grasp how that movie night have ruined me for other animated movies, at least visually.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The skin and hair looks like clay, like they didn't bother to do lookdev on it. That could be budgetary, this is a tv movie and not theatrical, but it also might just be because they didn't get good direction about going for a more stylized or realistic look. A bit of sub-surface scattering would have gone a long way.

The animation looks nice, if the story is charming people can overlook the visuals, but it won't be a movie you see for the visuals.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I guess I’m about a year late on this, but Klaus is sweet and good. Only issue I had with it was that a couple of the songs are a bit insubstantial, which is a weird fit with how well-constructed the rest is, but that’s a minor fault.

Stick Man was another enjoyable animated holiday film. Fairly short, and the dialogue makes it obvious that it was adapted from a storybook, but the texturing is very smoothly handled, and there are some wonderfully captured animal mannerisms.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
My one big gripe with Klaus was that I really didn't like any of the voice casting. I LIKE all the actors but none of their voices fit their characters to me. Norm and ESPECIALLY Joan Cusack did not fit their characters at all

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The like #4 animation trend from the 90s that I would have asked a genie to do away with forever would have been “voice casting based on whoever is considered a good screen actor or Hollywood star rather than an interesting or competent voice actor”

Come see our new movie starring ... like fuckin, Nicolas Cage and Catherine Zeta-Jones

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I've been rewatched Futurama which has like 8 voice actors doing about 200 different roles. Really shows the range that pro voice actors have as opposed to celebrities who can usually do their normal voice.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ccs posted:

I've been rewatched Futurama which has like 8 voice actors doing about 200 different roles. Really shows the range that pro voice actors have as opposed to celebrities who can usually do their normal voice.

I was watching the episode of Inside the Actors Studio with the cast of The Simpsons and it was hilarious as they read off the characters. I knew it was kinda lopsided but hearing it out loud really cemented it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ccs posted:

There was a VA documentary a while ago and, I think, Billy West or John DiMaggio break down how frustrating it is to see that.

Especially when the go craft a character voice but Hollywood Person just shows up and reads lines in their normal voice.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Merry Christmas my fellow cartoongoons

Don’t spoil Soul, I won’t be watching it til January maybe

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hedrigall posted:

Merry Christmas my fellow cartoongoons

Don’t spoil Soul, I won’t be watching it til January maybe

Following the Pixar Formula meme:
What if... black people souls had feelings?

:aaaaa:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Data Graham posted:

The like #4 animation trend from the 90s that I would have asked a genie to do away with forever would have been “voice casting based on whoever is considered a good screen actor or Hollywood star rather than an interesting or competent voice actor”

Come see our new movie starring ... like fuckin, Nicolas Cage and Catherine Zeta-Jones

Hey! Nicolas Cage is a fabulous voice actor :colbert:

I agree with you that being a talented live action actor doesn't always translate into being a good voice actor, but Nicolas Cage was great in both The Croods and Teen Titans Go to the Movies so you leave him out of this.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

FilthyImp posted:

There was a VA documentary a while ago and, I think, Billy West or John DiMaggio break down how frustrating it is to see that.

Especially when the go craft a character voice but Hollywood Person just shows up and reads lines in their normal voice.

It does vary, in fairness. Like, Bojack's main cast was all 'face' actors, and there are some all-time performances in there. And on the cartoonier end of things, Nick Cage as Spider-Nick Cageoir was absolutely inspired casting.

By the by, the documentary was probably I Know That Voice, currently streaming on Peacock and Pluto. If by some miracle you hang out in the Animation thread and haven't watched it, it's definitely worth your time. And Ed Asner's intro is spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5DqB0cv8uw

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OK, I was just grabbing for a name. I don't know, Matt Damon

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Data Graham posted:

OK, I was just grabbing for a name. I don't know, Matt Damon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnPWJOJYVKc

????

( :v: )

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yes, my brain was screaming that at me as I typed it :mmmhmm:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Boxman posted:

Nick Cage as Spider-Nick Cageoir was absolutely inspired casting.

Oh my God I can't believe I forgot that Cage was also Spider Noir.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Boxman posted:

By the by, the documentary was probably I Know That Voice, currently streaming on Peacock and Pluto. If by some miracle you hang out in the Animation thread and haven't watched it, it's definitely worth your time. And Ed Asner's intro is spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5DqB0cv8uw

I keep meaning to watch that

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Darthemed posted:

I guess I’m about a year late on this, but Klaus is sweet and good. Only issue I had with it was that a couple of the songs are a bit insubstantial, which is a weird fit with how well-constructed the rest is, but that’s a minor fault.

Stick Man was another enjoyable animated holiday film. Fairly short, and the dialogue makes it obvious that it was adapted from a storybook, but the texturing is very smoothly handled, and there are some wonderfully captured animal mannerisms.

Klaus is good, honestly I think my only gripe with it was the really weak attempt at the betrayal scene, They act like Jesper was pulling the wool under them even through he didn't even say he was planning on leaving or didn't have a change in heart

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The line between voice acting and acting can blur at times. It's already an old practice to base an animated character's appearance and/or mannerisms off their voice actor, even before the advent of CG and motion capture, and while it can be jarring if done poorly, done well it does make characters more alive. Disney does it quite a lot. Usually works best for comic relief characters, I think.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Pixeltendo posted:

Klaus is good, honestly I think my only gripe with it was the really weak attempt at the betrayal scene, They act like Jesper was pulling the wool under them even through he didn't even say he was planning on leaving or didn't have a change in heart

I thought it was kind of interesting that an aspiration turned into an obligation - his agreement was that if he hit his quota he'd come back because he'd be allowed to. Initially he was working towards that, but then after he stops caring about it his father is still expecting him to return as promised because he's unaware of Jesper's change of heart, and Jesper can't exactly leave him hanging, he needs to go to at least explain how things have changed due to how much there is to talk about. Kind of reminds me of Hot Fuzz where Nicholas is initially basically banished to the small town although annoying people for the opposite reason, then they end up begging him to return just as he's grown attached to it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For some reason that screenshot gives me Neverhood style adventure game vibes.

More like Toonstruck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFbP9Jpdr6I