Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BisonDollah posted:

Bad Hair would have been a fine 25 minutes.

I loving loved the gun taped under the desk in that movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think just saying "Go watch shorts" is a little disingenuous. Short films have a different cadence to features. It's like how a short story isn't just a mini novel. They're both prose, but they're structured incredibly differently. A 90 page novella feels much closer to a 500 page novel than a 24 page short story despite the difference in page length being pretty minor.

Host feels like a feature film much more than it feels like a short.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Dougherty should make a sequel to Krampus called Tales of the Krampus that are all just weird creature feature shorts of other weird Christmas folklore. I want to see a thirty foot tale Yule Cat puppet.

:hmmyes: A giant Catalonian pooping log that eats people instead of orange peels.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Movies should be no shorter than 87 minutes unless they're Chopping Mall

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think just saying "Go watch shorts" is a little disingenuous. Short films have a different cadence to features. It's like how a short story isn't just a mini novel. They're both prose, but they're structured incredibly differently. A 90 page novella feels much closer to a 500 page novel than a 24 page short story despite the difference in page length being pretty minor.

Host feels like a feature film much more than it feels like a short.

Agreed. And Host also felt perfectly suited to its runtime. It would have been a tedious 100 minute movie. But most films would feel crazy rushed at 55 minutes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timeless Appeal posted:

Dougherty should make a sequel to Krampus called Tales of the Krampus that are all just weird creature feature shorts of other weird Christmas folklore. I want to see a thirty foot tale Yule Cat puppet.

Sam and Krampus kill the world

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If a movie is under an hour long I refuse to call it a feature. It's a short. In fact, under 75 minutes is a short even if they lied to you about it being a feature.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I saw Southbound again and it has to be the best anthology or near the top.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I saw Southbound again and it has to be the best anthology or near the top.

Pssh, someone's never seen Night Train to Terror

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I really did not like Southbound at all but I've heard a lot of people say it's great so maybe I need to revisit it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I really did not like Southbound at all but I've heard a lot of people say it's great so maybe I need to revisit it.

I started watching it in October, got about two segments in before switching to something else. It's not bad, but it didn't grab me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Benito Cereno posted:

Sorry to get self-promote-y for a second, but if you all are interested in obscure, weird, and scary Christmas lore, I have a 12-part video series that covers a lot of that ground, including the Schnabelpercht like in that tweet, the Mari Lwyd, the Yule Lads, the Caga Tio, the various figures of Rauhnächte like Bloody Thomas and the Lutzelfrau, ghostly versions of Saint Barbara that look like Sadako from The Ring, and of course, many styles of Krampus. Also ghosts, witches, werewolves and vampires. Normal Christmas stuff.

There’s also non-spooky stuff like how the Puritans outlawed Christmas and how to tell your future with a candle and a bit of lead. Maybe some of y’all would be into it

This owns, thank you!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

I started watching it in October, got about two segments in before switching to something else. It's not bad, but it didn't grab me.

I watched the whole thing, but yeah, it was alright, probably going to be one of those movies that I remember part of in 15 years and can't quite place what it was.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched the whole thing, but yeah, it was alright, probably going to be one of those movies that I remember part of in 15 years and can't quite place what it was.

I'll go back and revisit it when I'm in the mood for an anthology, but it's not in the same league, for me, as Creepshow, Trick R Treat or Dead of Night.

Also, this is your reminder that Dead of Night is a Christmas movie.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Franchescanado posted:

You might have stopped just before the hospital segment, which is pretty much a must see when it comes to horror shorts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

Also, this is your reminder that Dead of Night is a Christmas movie.
The one from the 40s?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Spatulater bro! posted:

TV series have made people accustomed to the ~45 minute runtime. Truthfully, I don't want to see films become more series-like.

TV series have generally made people accustomed to a story that would fit in a movie stretch out to claim 8-22 hours of their life.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The one from the 40s?

Yep. It's most prominent segment is about Christmas party.

married but discreet posted:

You might have stopped just before the hospital segment, which is pretty much a must see when it comes to horror shorts.

Probably. I remember the first segment(s) not making much sense. I don't remember a hospital at all.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Vince MechMahon posted:

If a movie is under an hour long I refuse to call it a feature. It's a short. In fact, under 75 minutes is a short even if they lied to you about it being a feature.

Anything in the 50-75 minute range is clearly not a short but a movella.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Southbound's alright, but feels like a whole film of second tier V/H/S shorts.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Frankenstein is seventy minutes you monster.

King of Bleh posted:

Anything in the 50-75 minute range is clearly not a short but a movella.
Hm.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I didn't love Southbound, but I'll support anyone who wants to give Dana Gould a paycheque

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

I didn't like it, saw people call it great, rewatched and still didn't like it. I dunno. Its fine but the segments feel a little too oblique in the name of loosely connecting to each other. No one segment really blows me away and the link doesn't either the way Trick r Treat or Dead of Nite do.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Because it was made by the second tier VHS people.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

BisonDollah posted:

TV series have generally made people accustomed to a story that would fit in a movie stretch out to claim 8-22 hours of their life.

"The Irishman is WAY too long!" *binges 6 straight hours of Ozark*

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its insane because I absolutely sit there and go "No, I don't feel up for a 2 hour movie" and then I watch 3 42 minute episodes of something.

I guess the breaks between episodes and relative ends you get makes it all flow different. There's certainly times I say "I'm not in the mood for a feature story, I'll watch an anthology."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Frankenstein is seventy minutes you monster.
Hm.

James Wale made a great short and followed it up with a great movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Its insane because I absolutely sit there and go "No, I don't feel up for a 2 hour movie" and then I watch 3 42 minute episodes of something.

I guess the breaks between episodes and relative ends you get makes it all flow different. There's certainly times I say "I'm not in the mood for a feature story, I'll watch an anthology."

Serial t.v. episodes are usually structured so that there's some sort of hook at the end of each one that will make you want to watch the next one. Movies don't have to do that, they don't usually drop some tantalizing new reveal at the 1 hour mark just to make sure you stick around to the end.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

STAC Goat posted:

:same:

Although a lot of times for me it's because it's 8:30 at night and I don't want to stay up past 10:00.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Super late to the party but drat, HBO's Chernobyl is definitely horror.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

There were definitely parts that had me a total wreck. I skipped the episode where they were killing the puppies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The main thing I recall about Chernobyl is people watching it and being smug about how The West would never let such a disaster like that happen.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

first episode maybe but if someone tries to argue "bureaucracy is horror" or something like that theyre already wrong

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

James Wale made a great short and followed it up with a great movie.
I choose to interpret the absurdness of this remark as confirmation that you know you're wrong.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
The new version of The Stand has appeared on HBOs streaming service I’m not sure if I’m into it yet and thru seem to be jumping around on the timeline a lot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BisonDollah posted:

The reason that Host was so well received this year is because it was under an hour. Please horror producers, make more horror movies under an hour.

Having just watched Midsommar for the first time, this is definitely a lesson Ari Aster could have learned a bit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gaz2k21 posted:

The new version of The Stand has appeared on HBOs streaming service I’m not sure if I’m into it yet and thru seem to be jumping around on the timeline a lot.

I think you mean CBS All Access. They decided to start in the middle and flashback to the pandemic but swear that isn't because of the real life pandemic.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I think you mean CBS All Access. They decided to start in the middle and flashback to the pandemic but swear that isn't because of the real life pandemic.

It actually makes narrative sense when you get to the end of the first episode, and they aren't shy about showing the pandemic. The time jumps seem to be in service of how they're doing Flagg.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vince MechMahon posted:

It actually makes narrative sense when you get to the end of the first episode, and they aren't shy about showing the pandemic. The time jumps seem to be in service of how they're doing Flagg.

I don't hate it in theory. I don't have All Access so I'll probably wait until its all there. But like I get that you can't beat the Fear the Reaper opening and like a lot of King stories The Stand is very long and not super balanced. So trying to balance things COULD work I think. It will hurt some things but that's kind of the nature of adaptions, especially King adaptions. I'm reserving judgment.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I don't hate it in theory. I don't have All Access so I'll probably wait until its all there. But like I get that you can't beat the Fear the Reaper opening and like a lot of King stories The Stand is very long and not super balanced. So trying to balance things COULD work I think. It will hurt some things but that's kind of the nature of adaptions, especially King adaptions. I'm reserving judgment.

It seems like each episode is going to focus on a character or two, with the others being there but not the main focus. The first episode was that weird Elliott Rodger mother fucker who's name I can never remember and the main guy who's name I can also never remember played by James Marsden, and it worked pretty well for it. It may all fall apart though as it goes on.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Vince MechMahon posted:

It seems like each episode is going to focus on a character or two, with the others being there but not the main focus. The first episode was that weird Elliott Rodger mother fucker who's name I can never remember and the main guy who's name I can also never remember played by James Marsden, and it worked pretty well for it. It may all fall apart though as it goes on.

The 90’s Mini series is one of my comfort shows so I’ve seen it quite a few times so the new show threw me initially but I quite enjoyed it, some of my favourite scenes from the old mini series were during the initial outbreak before it becomes the good vs evil story.

Hopefully we’ll get to see a lot more of that in flashback ..........also the kid they got to play Harold is creepy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lurdiak posted:

Sorry to get some Christmas in your Halloween, but...

Merry Deathmas, boils and ghouls! This December 23rd, starting at 6 PM grab a cup of hot jones and some gingerbread cookies and join us for a night of holiday chills and spills! We'll be watching a series of jolly holly horror films as well as assorted Christmas nonsense! What kind of nonsense? You'll just have to tune in to find out! We will be watching:

Gremlins

Dial Code Santa Claus

Krampus

Silent Night, Deadly Night 2

I hope you can find time to gather round the yuletide log with us at the official Scream Stream cytube channel (remember to install the extension), and don't forget to join us in the official horror thread Discord!

We are live in 1 hour!