Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
You can pretty much tell the quality of the Dev by how realistic the effects of the drugs are. More = better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Game needs Qud-style reputation so you can truly befriend the pigeons.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
So, how worried should you be about the game spitting errors while loading into a world when using mods? Been using a handful of mods from the Kenan modpack on experimental and it just shits errors while loading in, something about "failed to visit member [...] in JsonObject" a few hundred times or so, do I actually have to care about load order or something or is this just how it is and I can ignore it? Everything seems to be fine once in game.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Jawnycat posted:

So, how worried should you be about the game spitting errors while loading into a world when using mods? Been using a handful of mods from the Kenan modpack on experimental and it just shits errors while loading in, something about "failed to visit member [...] in JsonObject" a few hundred times or so, do I actually have to care about load order or something or is this just how it is and I can ignore it? Everything seems to be fine once in game.

If it doesn't crash the game then crack on ignoring the error messages.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Just hit ignore, generally the errors mean an object type or description fails to load and in 99.99% of cases who cares. My most common failed to load error is for the description for newspaper or notes.

If you are really wanting one specific error message to go away you can hunt down the mod having an issue and look for an updated version.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 24, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Agreeing that as long as it loads correctly don't worry about it. Likewise with random errors encountered throughout as long as it doesn't crash you're generally fine.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Hell, if its a json syntax error odds are good you can fix it yourself.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Failed to visit member... makes me _think_ it’s going to parse the rest of the file but that might not be correct because the JSON parser I’m most used to (Python dict-as-a-shitload-of-constants) will barf on any syntax error.

Is one (part of) one of your mods not showing up at all?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I tried getting back into Cataclysm, training with books only to discover that its 100x slower now. Granted, that's been marked as a bug (previously training through practice was 100x too fast).

Has anyone tried Bright Nights recently?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Inglonias posted:

I tried getting back into Cataclysm, training with books only to discover that its 100x slower now. Granted, that's been marked as a bug (previously training through practice was 100x too fast).

Has anyone tried Bright Nights recently?

Bright Nights is good and my preferred way to play cataclysm. They are constantly updating it as well, and like 98% of the mods are crosscompatible or have versions for both.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I went to download Bright Nights... and is there a Windows version? I see OSX, ARM and Linux versions at https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/releases/

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

I went to download Bright Nights... and is there a Windows version? I see OSX, ARM and Linux versions at https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/releases/

Yeah they do that sometimes, you are often fine just grabbing a version back. I think they take longer to compile the windows version.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 6, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

There's something weird going on with a tall office tower in my game. On one of the floors there's a square area generating about 600 smash sounds per tick and it's actually slowing my game down.

Is there any way to see a log or something that might show what's going on?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Fires can do that, I think?

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
That's part of the Hub quests isn't it? You have to retrieve some mcguffin from the tower that's infested with wall smashing plants or something.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Huh. Turns out it's a bugged vehicle. A swivel chair is colliding with the floor for eternity.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That is some real cataclysmbugs.txt

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Huh. Turns out it's a bugged vehicle. A swivel chair is colliding with the floor for eternity.

I'm pretty sure it's a bug with single tile vehicles being pushed by zombies, the only way I've found to fix it is debug teleport to it and destroy the vehicle completely.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Dire Lemming posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a bug with single tile vehicles being pushed by zombies, the only way I've found to fix it is debug teleport to it and destroy the vehicle completely.

I would if I could. Interacting with these vehicles (I've found a few now) is mercilessly slow and I'm not sure how long it would need to sit and work to remove that last piece. Or I guess c4 it, but for some reason they are crazy resistant to damage.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

So what's up with the new electric grid system? Well, new since I last played much. It says it doesn't work right now but how is it intended to be used once it's up and going?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Its been there for at least a year or so. I wouldn't be tooo hopeful about it but I may be wrong.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BN has an electrical grid system based on map-tile buildings. Currently all it can do is generate power using solar panels (generally on roofs), store it in batteries (usually in basements), then use it in furniture (stoves etc).

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Manager Hoyden posted:

I would if I could. Interacting with these vehicles (I've found a few now) is mercilessly slow and I'm not sure how long it would need to sit and work to remove that last piece. Or I guess c4 it, but for some reason they are crazy resistant to damage.

Explosives do a lot of damage but rarely destroy parts completely. Instead get a sledgehammer and debug your strength to something silly then just smash it a bunch.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

By the way if anyone was curious about my bugged swivel chair problem, it turns out when a stronger zombie hits a single tile vehicle (chair, shopping cart, luggage cart, etc) it sets the falling flag to true and its vertical velocity to 500. It "falls" from ground height to ground height forever.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there really no way to use, activate, or eat liquids from vehicle tanks directly? With the exception of water with a kitchen unit or water faucet I mean.

My 60l cattail jelly dispenser idea doesn't seem to be working the way I thought it would. Also my future plans for the goon tank involved 200l of energy cola on the roof above the driver seat, obviously.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
All I can think of is that there is now gonna be a change log to add flatness to drinks to make them unenjoyable to prevent hoarding of the liquid.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Okay this is bothering me enough to do something about it. How do I learn to do this modding thing. It should be easy enough to change I would assume.

Like in my head it works. My bed is the hospital - I have a bunch of bandages there and I imagined having a giant tank of disinfectant there would be convenient. Like the hand pump sanitizer things they have on hospital walls, just hooked to a big fuckoff cistern so it practically never runs out.

Also, a 200l megatank of dew riding on the roof with a camelbak style drink tube down in the cab. A floor trunk full of tortilla chips instead of a passenger seat.

I can make this happen I bet.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Nvm

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 11, 2021

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 130 days!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Okay this is bothering me enough to do something about it. How do I learn to do this modding thing. It should be easy enough to change I would assume.

Like in my head it works. My bed is the hospital - I have a bunch of bandages there and I imagined having a giant tank of disinfectant there would be convenient. Like the hand pump sanitizer things they have on hospital walls, just hooked to a big fuckoff cistern so it practically never runs out.

Also, a 200l megatank of dew riding on the roof with a camelbak style drink tube down in the cab. A floor trunk full of tortilla chips instead of a passenger seat.

I can make this happen I bet.

fill the 200L tank with salsa imo

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Looking through the code, directly drinking is out of the question if the liquid is not water.

But vehicle tanks are supposed to serve as "fuel" sources for other liquids. Like you are supposed to be able to reload a refillable lighter if you are on a vehicle tile with a gas tank in it for instance. 'A'ctivating should give access to disinfectant in a tank, so I'm wondering why it's not working.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Activating should work if it's not installed. After looking at some comment threads it appears you can only use them as fuel/ammo/ingredients, but cannot directly interact with the liquid inside an installed tank without siphoning it out first.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I am not a big fan of the late game zombie evolutions.

Like skeletal juggernauts and kevlar hulks either need to be harder or easier - right now they're just kind of annoying. Eventually you get to where you can mow down every type of zombie as long as you don't get too surrounded, but then here comes one of them. All that means is that you have to retreat to the nearest .50 cal and shoot them in the face. Or run into them with any heavy duty vehicle. It's an annoyance rather than a challenge. Unless you have hydraulic muscles and some post-threshold mutations, that is.

It would be kind of interesting if they were harder to kill. Like one of them shows up and uh oh that area is now off limits except maybe some stealth runs. Maybe if you had a mininuke you could clear them out if the area was important enough.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Telsa Cola posted:

Bright Nights is good and my preferred way to play cataclysm. They are constantly updating it as well, and like 98% of the mods are crosscompatible or have versions for both.

They also broke a shitload of older mods a while back in the main version by changing the name of a variable for no real reason.

I miss being able to just drop my bags and fight unencumbered without having to drop thirty different items in the process, but Bright Nights has a lot better chance of going somewhere good as long as they keep making good decisions and porting good decisions/performance increases

Manager Hoyden posted:

I am not a big fan of the late game zombie evolutions.

Like skeletal juggernauts and kevlar hulks either need to be harder or easier - right now they're just kind of annoying. Eventually you get to where you can mow down every type of zombie as long as you don't get too surrounded, but then here comes one of them. All that means is that you have to retreat to the nearest .50 cal and shoot them in the face. Or run into them with any heavy duty vehicle. It's an annoyance rather than a challenge. Unless you have hydraulic muscles and some post-threshold mutations, that is.

It would be kind of interesting if they were harder to kill. Like one of them shows up and uh oh that area is now off limits except maybe some stealth runs. Maybe if you had a mininuke you could clear them out if the area was important enough.

Most of the big evolutions exist because it was very easy to mash together the flags of two enemies and I'm surprised there isn't a corrosive hulk or a heavily radioactive hulk that makes the area it inhabits worthless. These would not be good or fun, but that hasn't stopped DDA before

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

They also broke a shitload of older mods a while back in the main version by changing the name of a variable for no real reason.

I miss being able to just drop my bags and fight unencumbered without having to drop thirty different items in the process, but Bright Nights has a lot better chance of going somewhere good as long as they keep making good decisions and porting good decisions/performance increases

Most of the big evolutions exist because it was very easy to mash together the flags of two enemies and I'm surprised there isn't a corrosive hulk or a heavily radioactive hulk that makes the area it inhabits worthless. These would not be good or fun, but that hasn't stopped DDA before

What mods?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Telsa Cola posted:

What mods?

Any mod whatsoever that hasn't updated since a bit after BN forked. They changed the Ident field in mods to ID, iirc, and you can update a mod by doing a find/replace for "ident:" to "id:". It's been a few months since I've checked and the exact change might be slightly different.

Pockets broke any item that used the artifact charging system (functions like ARTC_TIME) which were yanked out later, which puts Bright Nights at a good spot for compatibility.

You can use modpacks made by other people that already have the fix applied, but both of the ones I know of are content with "doesn't crash the game instantly" for stability and Kenan's changes base game files arbitrarily.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I can't figure out how a bike carrier works, even going through the code for it. Like I can use it fine, but what is actually happening behind the scenes? Are the two vehicles considered one vehicle while it is attached? Is it just push/pulling the smaller vehicle? Is power shared?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Manager Hoyden posted:

I can't figure out how a bike carrier works, even going through the code for it. Like I can use it fine, but what is actually happening behind the scenes? Are the two vehicles considered one vehicle while it is attached? Is it just push/pulling the smaller vehicle? Is power shared?

Iirc power is shared and I think it's just part of the other vehicle

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay, what is weary and weary transition suppose to be? I decided to dip back in and it's up on the status screen,

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
It's a system designed to slow down the game basically. As you work you get weary which makes you work slower and also attack slower I think? Anyway it's another system to drag out the game to the desired 90 day season timescale without actually adding content to fill that time. It's also another reason to play Bright Nights instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Is this related to stamina at all?