Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Bure is correct! He debuted in 91/92, retired in 02/03 due to injuries and was elected to the HHOF in 2012 in his sixth year of eligibility.

Lindros is also correct! Despite being drafted in 91 he didn't debut until 92/93 due to his holdout with Quebec. He retired in 2006/07 and was inducted in 2016.

Leetch is not correct, he began his career a few years before Jagr.

It's not just guys who had their careers shortened due to injury. There are a couple that were known for having long careers including two guys who played into their 40s.

What about some goalies? Let’s say Hasek, Brodeur, Belfour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kariya and Selanne are correct! Selanne was drafted in 1988 but did not debut until the 92/93 season after the Calgary Flames signed him to an offer sheet (that the Jets of course matched). Selanne was known for his longevity too playing all the way up to 2013/14 aged 43.

Kariya began his career in 1994 and thanks to several high profile concussions saw his effectiveness drop until he retired in 2010. In 2017 he was inducted into the HHOF alongside long time teammate and friend Teemu Selanne.*

*I actually witnessed this entirely by accident. My brother, a friend and I went to the HHOF while they were visiting entirely unaware it was induction weekend. We got into a long line of people inside the hall of fame thinking it was some sort of temporary exhibit or something, only to be the final people admitted to their hall of fame induction and Q&A. It was cool.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Strangely no goaltender applies.

Hasek just misses the cut off as he played 5 games with the Hawks in 90/91.

Belfour made his NHL debut in 1988.

Brodeur did debut after Jagr and did retire before him, but was inducted in 2018 a few months after Jagr's last NHL game. Probably should've skipped that pointless year with St. Louis, eh fatso?

The last two guys are defencemen

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 22, 2020

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Brodeur did debut after Jagr and did retire before him, but was inducted in 2018 a few months after Jagr's last NHL game. Probably should've skipped that pointless year with St. Louis, eh fatso?

drat you Marty, drat you straight to hell.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Niedermayer, Zubov?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Pronger?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ThinkTank posted:

Ah man, what year did Pronger debut

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ah man, what year did Pronger debut
He was drafted in 93 so after Jagr

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pronger and Niedermayer are the last two. Pronger debuted in 93 and retired in 2012. He was inducted in 2017, the first player to receive that honour while still under contract.

Nieds was drafted the year after Jagr and appeared in 4 games in 91/92. He retired in 2009/10 aged 37 having appeared in 1259 more. He was inducted into the HHOF in 2013, a full five years before Jagr was done playing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Kariya and Selanne are correct! Selanne was drafted in 1988 but did not debut until the 92/93 season after the Calgary Flames signed him to an offer sheet (that the Jets of course matched). Selanne was known for his longevity too playing all the way up to 2013/14 aged 43.

Kariya began his career in 1994 and thanks to several high profile concussions saw his effectiveness drop until he retired in 2010. In 2017 he was inducted into the HHOF alongside long time teammate and friend Teemu Selanne.*

*I actually witnessed this entirely by accident. My brother, a friend and I went to the HHOF while they were visiting entirely unaware it was induction weekend. We got into a long line of people inside the hall of fame thinking it was some sort of temporary exhibit or something, only to be the final people admitted to their hall of fame induction and Q&A. It was cool.

TEEMU COULD HAVE BEEN A FLAME?!?!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Since pretty much the moment our species gained sentience, NHL GMs have been obsessed with one thing only: finding and overpaying the beefiest boys out there to clog up their roster with their slow skating and stone hands. To escape the dreadful dead puck era, the league introduced a bevvy of rule changes following the 04/05 lockout designed to allow smaller, skilled players to flourish.

However, there have only been 9 players who have appeared in 200 or more games since the lockout with an official weight listed below 170lbs. Can you name them?

There are a couple tough names on that list so I've included their position and draft year/team below:

LW - BUF - 07
C - BUF - 08
LW - NJD - 94
LW - CGY - 11
LW - CHI - 16
C - TBL - 14
D - NYI - 08
C - MIN - 02
C - BUF - 05

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Nathan Gerbe. But, I am unsure if he ever actually hit 200 games.

e: Gionta? St. Louis?

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 23, 2020

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gerbe is correct! Despite being the shortest player on the list he's the heaviest listed at 169lbs. He's played 426 career games.

MSL and Gionta are officially listed at 180lbs and 178lbs respectively by the NHL. It's doubtful that's true, but that's what the record books say (St. Louis is 5'9 too lol).

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Point? Gaudreau?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gobias Ind. posted:

Point? Gaudreau?

Correct to both. They're listed at 166lbs and 165lbs respectively.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Is the Chicago guy DeBrincat?

ThinkTank posted:

MSL and Gionta are officially listed at 180lbs and 178lbs respectively by the NHL. It's doubtful that's true, but that's what the record books say (St. Louis is 5'9 too lol).

How is that even possible? Is this like professional wrestling where they add a bit of weight?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Don't know about the height but MSL was pretty beefy in a way that I don't think like Gaudreau would be. Back when he couldn't make teams out of training camp he was supposedly coming in at 135 lbs.

Ennis? Conacher?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Oh yeah, I just remembered this

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Debrincat is also correct, he's listed at 5'7 165lbs.

Tyler Ennis is also correct, he's 161lbs and the second lightest player on the list.

The NHL has decreed that Conacher is 5'8 185lbs somehow.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 23, 2020

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Is the 02 Minnesota one another Pierre-Marc Bouchard appearance?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Is the 02 Minnesota one another Pierre-Marc Bouchard appearance?

It certainly is! He was 168lbs apparently. I remember almost nothing about him, much like the Minnesota Wild.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
He was pretty good except for the frequent massive concussions he endured. It was pretty impressive to be a tiny man drafted top 10 in 2002.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Does Briere qualify?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Briere is in the ballpark but he is listed at 174lbs.

Hint for the remainder:

two are active players, one is a current GM

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

mentholmoose posted:

Chelios and Hasek were both gone by the time Sillinger debuted. Another hint, the final answer spent the twilight of his career in Detroit and wasn’t really known as a Red Wing. His number is retired by the team he spent most of his NHL career with.

Another hint on this one, his father's a better known Red Wing than he is.

ThinkTank posted:

Briere is in the ballpark but he is listed at 174lbs.

Hint for the remainder:

two are active players, one is a current GM

I looked these up and the draft team/year/position literally did not help at all lmao. I never would have guessed any of them unless I was a fan of their team.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

E: nvm, blanked on an older player

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

mentholmoose posted:

Another hint on this one, his father's a better known Red Wing than he is.
Mark Howe

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Yep! I forgot Mark Howe was a Red Wing for three seasons until I looked up Sillingers info.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mentholmoose posted:

I looked these up and the draft team/year/position literally did not help at all lmao. I never would have guessed any of them unless I was a fan of their team.

Really? I thought the current NHL GM was well known enough as a player, his height was in the 2000s but he's not a nobody. . The active defencemen is one of the highest paid defencemen in the league. The other active guy isn't the most well known player on earth but he's a lineup regular for one of the most popular teams in the league.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Really? I thought the current NHL GM was well known enough as a player, his height was in the 2000s but he's not a nobody. . The active defencemen is one of the highest paid defencemen in the league. The other active guy isn't the most well known player on earth but he's a lineup regular for one of the most popular teams in the league.

The GM probably is easier to guess than I'm giving credit for (which I'll blame on me forgetting who most of the GMs are, and him only being hired this year), but the defenseman never played for the NHL team that drafted him, and the forward played only 8 games for the team that drafted him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I forgot about this thread. The last answer to my "actually decent players to play their last game with Columbus" question was Kristian Huselius.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The 02 Wild pick got me thinking of the Wild, but since he isn't that old, Jared Spurgeon must be the defenseman who never played for the team who drafted him.

The 94 Devils pick, I think, is Steve Sullivan, and this would be the only pick with a guy old enough to have played 200 games and moved into management. I don't think he's a GM, though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The Chicago Blackhawks and Tampa Bay Lightning will face off in their season opener in a rematch of the 2015 Stanley Cup Finals. 14 players are expected to be on the opening night roster who played in this series. Name them.

Hint: 3 are on injured reserve

Bonus question: Three players from each team have played in a Stanley Cup Final for another NHL team. Name them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

The 02 Wild pick got me thinking of the Wild, but since he isn't that old, Jared Spurgeon must be the defenseman who never played for the team who drafted him.

The 94 Devils pick, I think, is Steve Sullivan, and this would be the only pick with a guy old enough to have played 200 games and moved into management. I don't think he's a GM, though.

Correct on both counts. Sullivan is the interim. GM of the Coyotes.

As no one is likely to get it, the last guy is Paul Byron who is the lightest player in modern history at 158lbs.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I didn't realize Sullivan was the interim GM this summer, but the Coyotes actually hired a permanent GM, Bill "not related to Doug" Armstrong, a few months ago.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Zodijackylite posted:

The Chicago Blackhawks and Tampa Bay Lightning will face off in their season opener in a rematch of the 2015 Stanley Cup Finals. 14 players are expected to be on the opening night roster who played in this series. Name them.

Hint: 3 are on injured reserve

Bonus question: Three players from each team have played in a Stanley Cup Final for another NHL team. Name them.

Off the top of my head:

Kane
Toews
Keith
Seabrook
Saad
Hossa
Stamkos
Hedman
Killorn
Kucherov
Palat
Crawford

Hossa's an answer to the bonus question.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

mentholmoose posted:

Off the top of my head:

Kane
Toews
Keith
Seabrook
Saad
Hossa
Stamkos
Hedman
Killorn
Kucherov
Palat
Crawford

Hossa's an answer to the bonus question.

Tyler Johnson
Yanni Gourde?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Kane, Toews, Seabrook, and Keith are correct for the Hawks. There's one more.

Saad plays for the Avalanche, Crawford for the Devils, and Hossa retired in 2017 and was inducted into the Hall of Fame this year.

Stamkos, Hedman, Killorn, Kucherov, Palat, and Johnson are correct for the Lightning. There's three more.

Gourde didn't debut until the next season.

To clarify the bonus question, it's players on the opening night roster for the Lightning and Blackhawks this coming season.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

I thought Hossa was still on IR technically. And lol I completely forgot Saad and Crawford left the Hawks. This loving year, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The remaining Hawk left (and came back) *and* is starting the season on IR, but he's still on the team.