Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Locals demand Hams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Goin ham on some ham.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
When our warehouse opened we had both the Serrano and Iberico jamón, but we didn't sell through it. It still didn't go on clearance. YMMV.

I'm not sure if we sent back the excess, but we certainly didn't sell through it or trash it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I skipped the line this morning and I regret it. I didn't get to talk to Samuel the door guy. He always gave me top tips for stuff that's on sale and tells me about his dog Sparkles. It honestly made me sad to miss being socially awkward at the door.

I bought my brother a serrano jamon for Christmas with all my leftover Costco gift card balances. Took four cards and some cash but I know it's worth it because I already gave it to him and he cried about it. Man loves a ham.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Some of the door people are the best. There is a handicap dude I always look forward to seeing. He's so friendly. There's also an older fella, who's worked there since 96, I hate seeing and I swear barely checks the receipts. This is opposite of the other older guy, who I think runs the tire shop, who is incredibly friendly and helps out wherever needed. I've seen him work the registers, the baggers, the kitchen register and the door. He once didn't charge me to fix something on my tires that was entirely my fault.

Costco employees are the best. I also love seeing the rise and fall of some of them. This girl I started seeing at the customer help desk back in 2018 must have become a supervisor or manager, because now I see her run the registers at the front. She was incredibly helpful at the customer help desk and I guess that hard work got her escalated to a senior position at Costco, which i'm sure she deserved.

I'm just now realizing I spend way too much time at Costco.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

One of the things I miss most about pre-COVID Costco is how much our son loved getting the smiley face drawn on our receipt by the receipt checker. Now it’s just solo trips for me.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Orvin posted:

Anyone know when the jamon will typically go on sale in January? My Costco has like two pallets of them still. And while my house likes ham, we won’t eat near enough of it for $99. But if it goes to $49, I am willing to give it a shot.

Last year my costco discounted them on December 26th.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
What's the expiration date on these jamon?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

thathonkey posted:

i really like the einstein brothers bagels they sell at our costco i think theyre even better than the ones at the actual einstein bros locations cause they put the toppings on both halves. we rarely get them because you have to buy two bags (10-12 bagels) that we can never finish. one time we tried to buy just one bag and they made us go get a second one or put it back.

heading there today for essentials !! might try a pumpkin pie so i can weigh in on the debate

Buy the bagels, slice them, and freeze them. Straight from the freezer to the toaster (make sure to increase toasting time), they'll be as good as the day you bought them.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

The Midniter posted:

Buy the bagels, slice them, and freeze them. Straight from the freezer to the toaster (make sure to increase toasting time), they'll be as good as the day you bought them.

Stick a piece of parchment paper between the slices for maximum convenience

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Brain Curry posted:

Stick a piece of parchment paper between the slices for maximum convenience

I STILL can't get parchment paper at my local Costco :mad:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Went to the Co, only dropped $140, and came home with a street taco kit for dinner. A good day.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Went into Church today with the goal of just getting scalloped potatoes (only left with two additional unplanned items!) - it took every bit if self-control to not walk out with a huge bone-in rib roast. Just couldn't justify it with only Mrs. ROJO and myself for Christmas :(

Good thing I've got frozen, vac-sealed prime ribeyes in the freezer from a few months ago :dance:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Dad has secured one of those seasoned rib roasts for our small get-together. best meat i eat all year IMO. easily one billion times better than turkey.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh man the local church only has like three or five jamons. No half priced jamón in my future. The bougier Costco was all out when I was there a few weeks ago. Perhaps the Costco across town in a lower income area will have them though.

Sad day tho, they only had a few Bitchin Dips on hand and they were separated and looked kinda blah, I advised my wife to let it go this time. They looked bad enough that it wasn't worth the risk.

Also loled at someone buying Kirkland Signature wedges, golf clubs. I'm sure they're good if not great or fantastic, and truly puts you on the side of "brands are made up" in what I think is a very brand conscious sport.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Oh man the local church only has like three or five jamons. No half priced jamón in my future. The bougier Costco was all out when I was there a few weeks ago. Perhaps the Costco across town in a lower income area will have them though.

Sad day tho, they only had a few Bitchin Dips on hand and they were separated and looked kinda blah, I advised my wife to let it go this time. They looked bad enough that it wasn't worth the risk.

Also loled at someone buying Kirkland Signature wedges, golf clubs. I'm sure they're good if not great or fantastic, and truly puts you on the side of "brands are made up" in what I think is a very brand conscious sport.

My dude, its not that good and we're in a global pandemic. No need to search every Costco for the piece of crap ham.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

At least call ahead

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
um excuse me it’s for his :btroll: cosplay

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Went to the Co, only dropped $140, and came home with a street taco kit for dinner. A good day.

how is that kit

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

There is a whole pallet of hams at my local church, and I will be going there on Saturday to see if they have it half price (they wont).

I did succumb to the five bone roast, I figure it will be great for a dinner and for sandwiches for a few days.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

I did succumb to the five bone roast, I figure it will be great for a dinner and for sandwiches for a few days.

last years was :vince:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Chinatown posted:

last years was :vince:

Recipe please.

I was just going to smoke mine.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh yum that looks amazing.

For real Im not serious about seeking a ham. I would love one at half price, I'm a huge fan of cured meats. I had some nearly every day on our trip to Spain. Not enough to drive a half hour each way though.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

Recipe please.

I was just going to smoke mine.

you go to costco and buy it and follow the instructions :)

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

thathonkey posted:

how is that kit

We like it. It's well-spiced chicken, cheese, cabbage slaw, tortillas, a tub of Pace Picante level salsa, and some really good cilantro-lime crema sauce. I think they sell the sauce separately, but only in a 2-pack of pretty big bottles.

I'm a horrible person who can't stand corn tortillas or tamales or even most cornbread, but for some reason I like the tortillas they include.

I hit the 'Co today at 11am to pick up a little carvery ham. Parking lot was looking very full, but I got drat near princess parking. Inside wasn't a madhouse! Made a bee-line to the hams, got a 12-pack of fresh bao and more of that Morning Summit cereal/trail-mix. Forgot to get olive oil.

They have a pretty good deal on indoor tropical plants, $26 for a 3-gallon basket with handles and your choice of fiddle leaf fig, some other plant, or two other plants... I shouldn't have started listing them when I only know one. If you need a last-minute present and love someone, why not get them a plant? If you don't love someone, you should still get them a plant and passive-aggressively judge them for the care and upkeep it may or may not receive.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is this the exact same stuff? My Kirkland garlic was getting low but they only had the “Olde Thompson” available. The container and “product” looks identical as far as I can tell visually. I don’t want to open the new stuff yet to taste it. The Kirkland stuff is absolutely amazing and I put it on everything without shame.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Chinatown posted:

you go to costco and buy it and follow the instructions :)

Your rib roast might a little past it’s expiration.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I may have made a critical error in that I purchased an unseasoned one. I’ll toss on some seasonings and smoke it to 120F and call it a day.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

Your rib roast might a little past it’s expiration.

Its dry-aged. :colbert:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought two kinds of ramen I haven't had before on my Monday trip including the one where the packaging is just a giant smiling Morimoto. Will provide reviews soon also going to post a picture of my ramen wall as soon as I clear out enough space to put the new stuff in there because I realized I probably have what would be considered by a normal person to be an obscene amount so it'll probably be amusing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Also they had a shitload of rib roasts everywhere and bone in was the same price as bone out per pound like gently caress you I ain't paying the same price for bones as meat PLUS they all said mechanically tenderized so gently caress that poo poo, I bought one of the full rib loin things though and it's already cut up and put in my freezer. Was probably the best quality in terms of marbling I've seen from Costco, i.e. it seemed better than what I normally get there (which is still good).

Didn't have the lobster/king crab station that they usually have around holidays? Was thinking about getting a lobster case since my family always does a big seafood fest for Christmas eve so I just got some dungie and a mixed seafood bag which will make a seafood chowder and we've already got a bunch of Costco diver scallops in the freezer which will also be consumed.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Are you guys aware that they are selling Kirkland Signature branded sweatshirts now? I got one for me and my sis

https://www.costco.com/.product.1486926.html

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

thathonkey posted:

how is that kit

For some reason the chicken is pretty hit or miss, but it's a hit more often than not.

I basically grab one every time we go and it's an easy 2 person dinner for 2 days. It helps if you have extra cheese and cabbage on hand but otherwise it's perfect.

fischtick posted:

We like it. It's well-spiced chicken, cheese, cabbage slaw, tortillas, a tub of Pace Picante level salsa, and some really good cilantro-lime crema sauce. I think they sell the sauce separately, but only in a 2-pack of pretty big bottles.

I bought the sauce once and most of it went to waste. It's great on tacos but it doesn't have the best shelf life and I found myself struggling to find ways alternative to use it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

bagmonkey posted:

Are you guys aware that they are selling Kirkland Signature branded sweatshirts now? I got one for me and my sis

https://www.costco.com/.product.1486926.html

This is the cyberpunk future I was promised.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I may have made a critical error in that I purchased an unseasoned one. I’ll toss on some seasonings and smoke it to 120F and call it a day.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/food-lab-guide-to-prime-rib.html

tl;dr: throw some salt on it ASAP. consider a sear at the end.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Renegret posted:

For some reason the chicken is pretty hit or miss, but it's a hit more often than not.

I basically grab one every time we go and it's an easy 2 person dinner for 2 days. It helps if you have extra cheese and cabbage on hand but otherwise it's perfect.

I bought the sauce once and most of it went to waste. It's great on tacos but it doesn't have the best shelf life and I found myself struggling to find ways alternative to use it.

Yeah, the two-pack of bottles I bought had less than a 30-day expiration date. I can’t use that much crema that quickly.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

That street taco kit is pretty legit. It doesn't look like there's a lot there, but it fed my family of four with plenty leftover.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Fartington Butts posted:

That street taco kit is pretty legit. It doesn't look like there's a lot there, but it fed my family of four with plenty leftover.

Had that last night, poo poo was cash.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Had that last night, poo poo was cash.

Amen. PBUC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

at least 1/3 of this is costco. Maybe 1/2. Also I know not all of these are ramen so don't @ me.

my humble opinions:

*1. Laksa La Mian is god. So good. But not very convenient (you really can't make it in the microwave and the packet that is dense/pasty really needs warmed up to not leave 20% of it inside the packet, I like to tuck it inside my underwear for 20 minutes or so). You can't beat it though, so delicious.

2. Shin Black is the son of god. Super good, microwavable, nice spice, sometimes available at Costco (the bowls are not quite as good as the packets but they're close enough).

*3. Myojo Ippei-Chan Yakisoba Japanese Style Noodles. Maybe it's just me but I love this shits. Noodles with a nice texture? Yakisoba sauce? Mayo-Musterd packet that is delicious? Can be made with the hot water tap at the water cooler at your work? It's good stuff. Its one of the things that is my preferred diversion from my favorite things (#1 and #2).

4. Nongshim Udon. This could be higher because it's delicious but it does take up a lot of space on the shelf because of the bowl size and because the noodles aren't dehydrated. It's very good though and very different from all of the above. This is the shelf stable one, there are ones that require refrigeration or freezing IIRC IMO they are not worth it.

*4.5. Big Squid sweet and sour dehydrated squid meats. I love this stuff, cut it into little strips and drop it into the bowl of your ramen or stir fry or frosted flakes or whatever.

*5. Indomie is what you want if you don't want broth. It's delicious but it's not ramen. The case I have is the hot and spicy flavor but I think I've had all the flavors. Onion. Vegetable. Barbecue. Chicken. Barbecue chicken. Pork. Satay. Double chicken. Hot & spicy. Turbo chicken. Etc.

6. Nongshim Tonkotsu, this is pretty good. I like it. But I like Shin Black better, so it's not going to have room in my lineup.

*7. Seafood porridge. Seafood porridge is seafood porridge, you either like it or you don't. This isn't my favorite brand, but it is the cheapest.

8. Everything else, not really worth discussing. I'll eat it sooner or later but it's not really good.

*has never been available at Costco to my knowledge