Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

bird with big dick posted:

at least 1/3 of this is costco. Maybe 1/2. Also I know not all of these are ramen so don't @ me.

my humble opinions:

*1. Laksa La Mian is god. So good. But not very convenient (you really can't make it in the microwave and the packet that is dense/pasty really needs warmed up to not leave 20% of it inside the packet, I like to tuck it inside my underwear for 20 minutes or so). You can't beat it though, so delicious.

2. Shin Black is the son of god. Super good, microwavable, nice spice, sometimes available at Costco (the bowls are not quite as good as the packets but they're close enough).

*3. Myojo Ippei-Chan Yakisoba Japanese Style Noodles. Maybe it's just me but I love this shits. Noodles with a nice texture? Yakisoba sauce? Mayo-Musterd packet that is delicious? Can be made with the hot water tap at the water cooler at your work? It's good stuff. Its one of the things that is my preferred diversion from my favorite things (#1 and #2).

4. Nongshim Udon. This could be higher because it's delicious but it does take up a lot of space on the shelf because of the bowl size and because the noodles aren't dehydrated. It's very good though and very different from all of the above. This is the shelf stable one, there are ones that require refrigeration or freezing IIRC IMO they are not worth it.

*4.5. Big Squid sweet and sour dehydrated squid meats. I love this stuff, cut it into little strips and drop it into the bowl of your ramen or stir fry or frosted flakes or whatever.

*5. Indomie is what you want if you don't want broth. It's delicious but it's not ramen. The case I have is the hot and spicy flavor but I think I've had all the flavors. Onion. Vegetable. Barbecue. Chicken. Barbecue chicken. Pork. Satay. Double chicken. Hot & spicy. Turbo chicken. Etc.

6. Nongshim Tonkotsu, this is pretty good. I like it. But I like Shin Black better, so it's not going to have room in my lineup.

*7. Seafood porridge. Seafood porridge is seafood porridge, you either like it or you don't. This isn't my favorite brand, but it is the cheapest.

8. Everything else, not really worth discussing. I'll eat it sooner or later but it's not really good.

*has never been available at Costco to my knowledge

you're missing the giant box of Samyang Spicy Chicken Ramen Noodles that at least my costco carries.

poo poo is so good and has ruined all other dried ramen for me. i think it's the perfect spiciness too. i've tried the 2x and it's good but the 1x that costco sells is better for every-day eatings.

also the a-sha noodles are pretty drat bad* (mediocre)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bout to hit this with dinner tonight, will post a trip report later.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Xaris posted:

you're missing the giant box of Samyang Spicy Chicken Ramen Noodles that at least my costco carries.

poo poo is so good and has ruined all other dried ramen for me. i think it's the perfect spiciness too. i've tried the 2x and it's good but the 1x that costco sells is better for every-day eatings.

Holy poo poo I'm jealous that your Stco has the samyang noodles. I went to an Hmart yesterday and immediately filled half my basket with them.

The Tokyo Chicken Morimoto noodles are fine, but the Tonkatsu one is where it's at. Can't recall if they have 'em at Costco.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i have obtained the jamon

so far my only complaint is that the slicing instructions need much bigger pictures, or possibly diagrams. there's much more to it than i thought!

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 23, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Fartington Butts posted:

Holy poo poo I'm jealous that your Stco has the samyang noodles. I went to an Hmart yesterday and immediately filled half my basket with them.

The Tokyo Chicken Morimoto noodles are fine, but the Tonkatsu one is where it's at. Can't recall if they have 'em at Costco.

i'm actually out of them now and im sad but i haven't been willing to brave the costco in awhile to get more. last time was horrible. hopefully they still carry them but costco likes to add/remove items quickly like that.

i bought a pack of the stove-top stew-type samyang and they're pretty good, noodles are a little chewy-ier. i think i ultimately like the typical bowls more i think but it's nice having broth to drink.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

i have obtained the jamon

so far my only complaint is that the slicing instructions need much bigger pictures, or possibly diagrams. there's much more to it than i thought!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKUs-VGa534

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Cartoon Man posted:

Bout to hit this with dinner tonight, will post a trip report later.

These potatoes are a great option and we buy them pretty frequently - picked some up to go with our prime ribeyes for Friday.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

excellent! thank you!

everyone else watch this too so you can be jealous of us jamon-javers

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ROJO posted:

These potatoes are a great option and we buy them pretty frequently - picked some up to go with our prime ribeyes for Friday.

Oh man they taste really good. Need to heat up in the oven longer than instructed though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Cartoon Man posted:

Need to heat up in the oven longer than instructed though.
maybe it's just my oven/stove but i find that true of virtually everything storebought.

this pasta cooks in 3 minutes? loving bullshit it's still hard as a rock in boiling water.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Xaris posted:

maybe it's just my oven/stove but i find that true of virtually everything storebought.

this pasta cooks in 3 minutes? loving bullshit it's still hard as a rock in boiling water.

Rings true for me. Same with the timing on recipes that you find online. They always say some poo poo like "takes 30 minutes for prep and cooking" but that poo poo always takes like an hour and a half. We aren't all Kenji Lopez-Alt.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The Hambulance posted:

I STILL can't get parchment paper at my local Costco :mad:

i got the last pack when i went a few weeks ago and it was the first time ive seen it in over a year

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Xaris posted:

The opposite of this is true for gluten free pasta :negative:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Xaris posted:

I've had those but never seen them at costco, they are indeed quite good so I'll keep an eye out. They're no Shin Black IMO though.

quote:

Yeah they're quite bad. I think the worst out of what I've got on the shelf right now. The Snapdragon stuff (Laksa and Pho) are also both pretty bad.

The Momosan Sapporo Tokyo Morimoto Ichiban Chicken Ramen is also not necessarily what I would call bad but also not good either. Slightly better than edible, perhaps.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What do you mix in with the ramen to turn it into a feast? Eggs, spam, dried mushrooms, cheese, chives?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

bird with big dick posted:

I've had those but never seen them at costco, they are indeed quite good so I'll keep an eye out. They're no Shin Black IMO though.

depends on what you want honestly. shin blacks are nice because its brothy but i really like the spiciness and flavor/taste and the noodles of samyang way more. shin blacks are a little more portable and easier to make but neither are hard. shins are cheaper so there's that to keep in mind.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

poisonpill posted:

What do you mix in with the ramen to turn it into a feast? Eggs, spam, dried mushrooms, cheese, chives?

I usually end up dumping some of the costco roasted seaweed in there along with some of the stuff you already mentioned, green onion and egg.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Beat an egg and then pour it in slowly while it boils, stirring vigorously. Like if you were making an egg drop soup. Some of the egg will coat the noodles, and some will form some nice little egg ribbons.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wish we had more ramen options at the costcos here, we mostly just have the nongshim tonkatsu (which I really like) and some extra spicy kimchi flavour ones that I don’t like, spice aside. Nongshim black is also awesome but usually not in costcos here.

I want to try the laksa one, I love that kind of soup. Need to find a good local malaysian takeout place dammit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I prefer a plain old soft boiled egg.

6 minutes in boiling water comes out perfect.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

priznat posted:

I wish we had more ramen options at the costcos here, we mostly just have the nongshim tonkatsu (which I really like) and some extra spicy kimchi flavour ones that I don’t like, spice aside. Nongshim black is also awesome but usually not in costcos here.

I want to try the laksa one, I love that kind of soup. Need to find a good local malaysian takeout place dammit.

Costco doesn't carry it but Nissin Raoh and Sapporo Ichiban are the best brands commonly available in the US that carry non spicy flavors. My buddy swears by Mama noodles, but I think they're awful, so YMMV.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Gaius Marius posted:

Costco doesn't carry it but Nissin Raoh and Sapporo Ichiban are the best brands commonly available in the US that carry non spicy flavors. My buddy swears by Mama noodles, but I think they're awful, so YMMV.

I don’t mind the spicy, these particular kimchi bowls just aren’t that good imo. I like kimchi but the weird dehydrated flavour version in the soup is just not great.

Unrelated I looked up if there were any recently opened malaysian/singapore takeouts in my area and there are! Totally gonna order some haianese boneless chicken, laksa noodle soup and Mee Goreng a couple days after xmas.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Xaris posted:

I bought a pack of the 2x and while I agree it's a bit too spicy for everyday consumption, if you add in a bunch of broccoli and chicken, the heat is spread out enough that it makes an absolutely amazing dinner. Shame about the sodium content, though.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

I want to like the A-Sha noodles because dry like-fried instant noodles are the best, Indomie is like crack for me.

Though the my favourite non-soupy noodles will always be Chapagetti:

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Looks like those Midea 7ft^3 chest freezers are back online - some folks in here picked them up, right? We're looking to get another venue for stocking up on pre-made meals prior to a baby arriving - they seem well reviewed except for the propensity for dents on arrival. Any goon thoughts?

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh man they taste really good. Need to heat up in the oven longer than instructed though.

Yeah, they definitely need a little extra time - this time I might attempt to transfer them to a different container first so they can be broiled at the end.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ROJO posted:

Looks like those Midea 7ft^3 chest freezers are back online - some folks in here picked them up, right? We're looking to get another venue for stocking up on pre-made meals prior to a baby arriving - they seem well reviewed except for the propensity for dents on arrival. Any goon thoughts?

Yeah, they definitely need a little extra time - this time I might attempt to transfer them to a different container first so they can be broiled at the end.

Wash your plates immediately after eating, if you leave any behind it turns into cement.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Went to Church and did the dog and drink combo.

It was good.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I'm new to Costco but I used to walk around them because the guards were cool like that (also I'm a white businessman so if I look like I know where I'm going no one is going to stop me) and I'd always see goat carcasses around springtime. When do they come in? I'd love to have a celebration but I don't want to make a superspreader event.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

you might be thinking of the church of satan

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

VinylonUnderground posted:

I'd always see goat carcasses around springtime. When do they come in?
Go to a Business Warehouse Costco and you can get a whole pig/lamb in their freezer aisle :devil:

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

FilthyImp posted:

Go to a Business Warehouse Costco and you can get a whole pig/lamb in their freezer aisle :devil:

So year round? That's good, I can wait out the vaccine. I was assuming they were seasonal but I suppose it is always spring somewhere.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
$260 seems steep for a 7 cu ft freezer. Target has one on sale right now for $190.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SirPablo posted:

$260 seems steep for a 7 cu ft freezer. Target has one on sale right now for $190.

They're only about $160 in store which is great price if your local warehouse has one. The $260 online price "includes" delivery which is why it's inflated.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

ROJO posted:

I bought one in store, and as others have mentioned, they are $100 less ($160). It was a very close call trying to fit box into the back of my Nissan Versa hatchback, but if you have an SUV or a truck it won't be a problem. I mentioned the box dimensions in an earlier post if you need to measure it out. I bought it a month ago and have no complaints/regrets yet.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Hail Business Center Satan

moller posted:

Went to the Costco Business Center. Weird but very cool. Got an enormous metal mixing bowl for three dollars, a three pack of scissors for six bucks, a two pack of commercial oven mitts for $4.50, and a giant cutting board for six bones.

No slices or dogs though, alas.

Also the Business Center has cigarettes? You have to go into a special enclosed cage to buy them...

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Chinatown posted:

Goin ham on some ham.

hosed up if true

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ROJO posted:

I got one the last time the link was posted. Delivery was delayed because they went out of stock almost immediately but it was eventually delivered a few weeks later. No dents in mine but I really wouldn’t have cared if there were. As far as chest freezers go it’s keeping things cold- so..... yeah. Would recommend

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Whooping Crabs posted:

I bought one in store, and as others have mentioned, they are $100 less ($160). It was a very close call trying to fit box into the back of my Nissan Versa hatchback, but if you have an SUV or a truck it won't be a problem. I mentioned the box dimensions in an earlier post if you need to measure it out. I bought it a month ago and have no complaints/regrets yet.

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye out for them in person, but haven't seen one.....

SirPablo posted:

Bummer, missed this before I placed an order - maybe I'll swing a return on it. Oh well, thanks anyways!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Today is A5 Wagyu day. I remembered randomly last week that Costco sold A5 Wagyu and I needed a main for Christmas dinner.

Since it’s just my wife, daughter, and SIL, $250 for a couple of Ribeyes seems fine.

I am excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

rufius posted:

Today is A5 Wagyu day. I remembered randomly last week that Costco sold A5 Wagyu and I needed a main for Christmas dinner.

Since it’s just my wife, daughter, and SIL, $250 for a couple of Ribeyes seems fine.

I am excited.

excellent, now we can restart the debate over whether a 4oz steak is completely enough if it's wagyu :unsmigghh:

(see also: is it real wagyu if it's an american cow made from stolen sperm?)