Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
I've lived in Florida my entire life, never once have I actually seen snow or experienced cold below 50F degrees. I am about to gently caress all that up and move to Pennsylvania during winter because I am a stupid piece of poo poo. I have no idea what to expect from winter other than it will be cold and my balls will shrink.

What do I need to do/know to not gently caress up more than I have already have?

What does my car need?

What the gently caress is a furnace?

What are the stupid cold weather house chores I need to care about? Shoveling snow?

How do I avoid freezing to do death? Shorts and sandals are all I own.

Please help me frozen goons of winter, I am stupid and don't know which snow is safe to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Brotein_Shake posted:

What does my car need?

A set of winter tires, chains, an ice scraper for the windows, a functioning heating system, a set of extra clothes and blankets in the trunk, just in case. Prepare to wake up extra early so you have time to warm the car up. Take a refresher course in winter driving.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Get a good winter coat, gloves, and pair of boots. Lands End makes decent if not particularly stylish stuff that will at least keep you from dying while you figure everything else out.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Also if you won't have off-street parking where you're living, look up the on street parking regulations for the place you're moving, and whether they're different in winter. And bear in mind that even if you are allowed to park anywhere at any time, the snow plows don't give a poo poo about your convenience and will happily plow your car behind a wall of snow, so you'll definitely want a snow shovel handy even if you aren't responsible for shoveling the walk.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Also please please please don't be the guy who only clears the snow off your car windows and leaves a giant pile of snow and ice on your roof, because that poo poo will fly off when you're driving and hit the cars behind you.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

Brotein_Shake posted:

Long underwear. It took me a few years to get used to a real winter and long underwear made me want to die somewhat less. Maybe one of those ice scrapers on a telescoping pole so that you don't over extend trying to get the last bit of ice, slip, and fall on your butt like I definitely didn't.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Animal-Mother posted:

A set of winter tires, chains, an ice scraper for the windows, a functioning heating system, a set of extra clothes and blankets in the trunk, just in case. Prepare to wake up extra early so you have time to warm the car up. Take a refresher course in winter driving.

Modern car engines are actually hurt by letting them warm up. It's better to drive and let them warm up as you drive. Unless you are driving a boomer-era hotrod which, given how long cars can last in Florida, is not out of the question. Just get a scraper for your windshield. Also, be careful on roads during the winter. You may have noticed that people from cold states drive like grannies. You will want to drive like an old granny. You won't, and that's OK. And you are absolutely going to "fish tail". You will know it the first time it happens and if you are lucky you won't lose control and crash your car. After that, you will learn to drive like a granny and see why people do it. Just like the bad warm-up advice, people will tell you to pump your breaks on the ice. That's also antiquated advice so depending on the age of your car ymmv.

Get hand cream. The cold air sucks the moisture out of your body.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Know about your roof, and get a roof rake.

know about your pipes, how pipes freeze, and what to do about them.

Get snow/winter tires, and good ones. They are better not only for snow and ice, but also cold asphalt.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
You don't need winter tires in PA. If you can afford them and want to go through the hassle of changing them twice per year then go for it but most people don't use them.

I'm in new jersey and it doesn't snow that much around here. There might be 3 significant snowfalls per winter and they plow it off the roads within a day. So you might not even have to drive in snow any time soon.

If you have to drive in snow, just drive slower . It's not much different from driving in normal weather except if you're going fast and hit an ice patch your car can slide and bad things can happen, so just drive slow.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
also these are great to keep in your car so you can brush the snow off. It's called a snow brush

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Brotein_Shake posted:

If you have central heating as part of a heating/AC unit, you just push a button on your thermostat to change it from "cool" to "heat" and adjust the temp as desired. If you live in an old house then you might need to deal with wood.

quote:

What are the stupid cold weather house chores I need to care about? Shoveling snow?

Make sure you shut off the water to all hoses. And I don't mean "turn off at the hose", I mean find the valve inside your house (usually the basement) and shut off the water there, then turn on the hose to get all the water out. If you don't, your pipes will freeze and burst, and flood your basement and inside of the walls with water.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
A lot depends on where you are in Pennsylvania-- I am in Philadelphia and it is a lot colder and snowier an hour or two away from here in the Poconos. We get 1-2 solid snow days most years and a full-on blizzard once every 3-5 years or so, but went all last winter with no real snow at all. Up near the NY border, snow is a major factor in life, and Erie has full-on lake effect snow, which is snow for people who are serious about snow.

I highly recommend getting a pair of boots with solid, grippy rubber soles. Icy pavement can be surprisingly slippery and my Gripfasts have save me from more than one nasty fall. Other than that, I have never made a big deal out of dressing for winter, I just wear a lot of layers and never forget a hat and gloves. A nice pair of heavy wool pants can be wonderful, though.

If you are anyplace suburban or rural and there are trees, a solid snowstorm can knock out your power/cable for surprisingly long times, so be prepared for that. My parents are right out of the city and had no internet for a week plus the last time we had a major storm.

I don't really drive so I don't have any advice other than to go very, very slow. Sometimes you just lose control and you want to do that at 20 miles an hour rather than the actual speed limit. Also, they are not kidding that bridges freeze before roads, watch out when you are going over an overpass.

Enjoy it-- a solid snowstorm makes everything quiet and weirdly-lit, like some magical fairyland, and it is a great excuse to cozy up at home and day drink.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Brotein_Shake posted:

I've lived in Florida my entire life, never once have I actually seen snow or experienced cold below 50F degrees. I am about to gently caress all that up and move to Pennsylvania during winter because I am a stupid piece of poo poo. I have no idea what to expect from winter other than it will be cold and my balls will shrink.

What do I need to do/know to not gently caress up more than I have already have?

What does my car need?

Please help me frozen goons of winter, I am stupid and don't know which snow is safe to eat.

I used to travel from no snow area to snow having garbage land (Syracuse) for work. The glove thing is an absolute must. You know how hot a black steering wheel gets in a disney parking lot for 6 hours in summer? Imagine that unpleasant but rather than going away in 10 minutes because your blow your AC on it it is like that for the whole drive. Buy gloves. They make them that have a capacitive touch pad so you can still use your phone.

Cops are generally better outside of Florida than in Florida. So people might not hate the police where you move. Not all of Florida is like this but enough of it is filled with dirtbag cops that it might take some adjusting if you go to a place where 50% of them are decent human beings.

Theres these giant piles of ugly brown and white stuff in the winter ont he sides of the roads. That is not just snow, its snow and ice and it is very hard. Dont jump in it. Its dirty and icy and wet and gross.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 24, 2020

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Wear layers, especially wool since it stays warm even when wet. Get some long underwear and wool socks will make your life a lot better.

Learn about black ice and how to spot it. Basically, just assume every surface is covered in ice all winter and waddle like a penguin everywhere.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

VinylonUnderground posted:

Modern car engines are actually hurt by letting them warm up. It's better to drive and let them warm up as you drive.

I did not know this, thank you.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Invest in good socks, hat, and gloves. The aren't lying when they say all your heat loss comes from your head.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

GoutPatrol posted:

Invest in good socks, hat, and gloves. The aren't lying when they say all your heat loss comes from your head.

Actually, they are!

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides...%20your%20body.

But I have big ears and they get chilly in the Winter so I still strongly recommend a good hat.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Which part of PA? If you're coming to Pittsburgh and have on street parking make sure you have a parking chair

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Brotein_Shake posted:

Layers, layers, and more layers. When it’s bad out, start with a moisture wicking layer, then regular shirt(s)/pants, then something insulated, then a waterproof (or at least resistant) outer layer. The last two can be combined, but you want both qualities.

The golden rule is cotton kills. You don’t want cotton against skin, and you don’t want cotton exposed to the elements. It holds water, gets cold, and loses all insulation. Then you get cold and stay cold. Wool or synthetic fibers should make up most of your layers.

You don’t necessarily need all of that once you get acclimated to the cold—the only part of that advice I religiously follow is to trade cotton socks for wool from October through April—but keep in mind you can always remove layers of need be, but you can’t add them once you’ve left them at home.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
You might need to winterize your car. If you're in Florida, some of the liquids in your car might not be rated for winter temperatures, and that can cause problems.

Also, if you need to park outside, consider the age of your battery. If you have a chance for really cold weather (like 10 degrees or so), you want to make sure your battery is in good condition since the cold makes it a lot harder for your battery to provide enough juice to get started.

And be smart about the snow. No matter what, there are times where it is just plain dangerous to drive.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Oooh! I grew up in ND for 25 years and moved to CA because winter loving sucks.

- Don't put chains on your tires. They are illegal in most places.
- You don't need 'winter tires', but do respect ice. I've been in 3 accidents in my life. All of them under 10 MPH because I just slid into someone. Don't learn this the hard way like my dumb rear end and actually assume that if it looks icy that you can't break without skidding.
- I don't think PA gets *that* cold, but if it gets around -20F, your battery is going to be tested. lovely batteries are generally fine to about 0, but some batteries do way better in super cold weather. It's worth the investment if you run into battery issues.
- If you have a home with any external water pipes, they probably need to be winterized or they'll freeze and explode. This applies mostly to trailer homes.
- Depending on how rural of an area you are moving to, how flat the terrain is, and what kind of vehicle you have, you may want to consider carrying a shovel in your vehicle. It's possible to get your car stuck 'high center' in a pile of snow and you'll have to dig it out. It sucks a lot less if you have a shovel. This isn't really a problem in an urban area.
- As far as clothes: Jeans are fine, but do get a bigass winter jacket with proper insulation.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Sunglasses, because snow is incredibly glarey on a sunny day.

Lip balm, because air will be dry inside (heated) and out (if it's cold enough).

If you're in a house, invest in a good snow shovel and broom; if you're renting, the landlord might hire people to come and clear. A snowblower is even better than a shovel for a whole driveway but they're not cheap. You might be lucky enough to have an obliging neighbour with a snowblower who will clear your driveway out for cash or just through his goodwill. Treasure this person.

Get ice melter and keep it in home and car because freezing rain is even more horrific and dangerous than snow by itself. Non-clumping kitty litter is also good to keep on hand in home and car to give traction on ice. Snow is more "grippy" than ice (it's like the difference between walking on carpet, and on a slick polished floor, usually).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Know about your roof, and get a roof rake.

Get a house with a high roof angle and preferrably sheet metal. SNow will just slide off.

I also note that some people think winter tyres are not needed, in Finland they are mandatory and I wouldn't be without them.

And nobody has mentioned block heaters for cars, aren't they a thing in the US. Good for the motor.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

His Divine Shadow posted:

Get a house with a high roof angle and preferrably sheet metal. SNow will just slide off.

I also note that some people think winter tyres are not needed, in Finland they are mandatory and I wouldn't be without them.

And nobody has mentioned block heaters for cars, aren't they a thing in the US. Good for the motor.

I feel like they're more popular in the northern midwest/up by Canada (and in Canada, obviously). In New York (just north of Pennsylvania) I've only ever really seen them in like, the options list in car brochures.

You can get away with not having snow tires if you have decent (and not bald) all-seasons, generally. If you're running summer tires in Fl, then definitely get snow tires. Like someone said, they're not just for "snow," they're made to provide proper grip when it's below 45º or so, which is quite welcome.

The number one best snow driving tip I can give you is this: change speed or change direction. Only do one at a time (because you more or less can only do one at a time). Tip number 2 is, "if you can't get moving, try second gear."

Depending on how your house is set up, your "furnace" might just be your water heater, which I assume you're familiar with.

Shoveling sucks, but if you need to actually go somewhere, you're gonna have to deal with it. Doubly so if you park on the street and the goddamn plow has boxed your car in. There's a very real risk that leaving all the piled up snow they've encased your car in will result in it becoming ice, which is far worse to try and dig out.

Also, long johns. Buy some drat long johns and don't be afraid to put them on. Even if your neighbors are wandering around in goddamn shorts and sandals, suck it up and dress so you're warm. If you're going to be outside for longer than the time it takes to grab the newspaper or smoke a cigarette or whatever, pay attention to the weather, and particularly the windchill. It doesn't matter if it's 40º out if there's a 20mph wind and it feels like 20º. Being cold is goddamn miserable, and after a few weeks you'll probably manage to sort out how to dress properly. This goes double if you're not used to the climate.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Finland gets significantly colder than where he is moving to. He's moving from Cape Verde to Munich.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Grew up in PA, now live in CA and I do not miss winter.

Get an ergonomic snow shovel that's tall enough for you to use. Depending where you live you may be responsible for keeping your sidewalk passable.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Block heaters are common in places like Minnesota where it gets to -40 on a pretty regular basis. Most cars will be fine up to around -20, which is pretty cold where I live. Like, I have seen colder, but really, that only happens like once every few years.

I am going to say get winter tires. People who say you don't need them have never used them. They don't know what they are talking about.

Basically, all season tires at their best are equivalent to winter tires halfway through their lifetime. They're not useless in the snow, like summer tires, but they really aren't good.

What's scary about winter driving in the US is how people have just normalized losing control of their car. And they think that winter tires aren't needed because they know how to drive in the snow.

It's insurance. If you can afford it, it is totally worth having. I remember the first time I used winter tires - my car just stopped in the snow. I've forgotten what ABS feels like because it doesn't happen anymore.

If your highs get below 45 degrees fahrenheit for a significant period of time, get winter tires and ignore those who say you don't need them.

Jintozook81
May 14, 2020

There's Always A Bigger Ship...
Lipstick Apathy
You cars lifespan will be significantly shorter. Between driving through the mountains and the harsh winters. The snow can get deep. My cousins and I used to dig tunnels through the yard and make trenches and igloo’s. Snow war.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The key to winter driving with all seasons is to keep your wheels turning if you start to lose traction. The minute you panic and slam on the brakes, your tires turn into ice skates and you have surrendered all control of the car.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
Grew up in NYC, now live in eastern PA.

Get a GOOD snow shovel. Don't get the cheapest one.

If you have a lot of property/sidewalk/big driveway, invest in a snow blower. minimum 2 stage. You will not regret this.

buy a few pairs of gloves/hats/scarves/boots. They will get wet and take awhile to dry so it is great to have a second pair ready to go.

Dress in layers.

For your car, if you can, get remote start. Get a good ice scraper, but also get a SnoBrum. google it.

If you have significant snowfall (5+ inches IMO) Avoid driving if possible for at least 24 hrs after the snow ends. It lets the snowplows do their work and lets all the idiots that crashed be cleared.

I have never used snow tires, but they are supposedly great. However, even snow tires won't work on ice. Look up youtube videos on how to save yourself if you start skidding on ice.

Learn about your house's heating system and get it inspected, at least for the first time.

If you go on vacation during winter LEAVE YOUR HEAT ON (if it's electric). You pipes will freeze if your house is not heated. Or as others have said, learn how to shut off your main water supply. You then have to drain your faucets and shower/tub heads. For good measure, you can also buy RV antifreeze (walmart sells it, a few dollars per gallon) and pour some in your toilet bowl, toilet tank, and down your tub/shower drains and your sink drains. This is completely safe to do and will prevent the water in the traps from freezing.

Buy a lot of batteries and flashlights or those battery powered lanterns. You may lose power.

Go out a few days before snow is predicted and stock up on food. Do NOT go the day before or the day of. Buy food that doesn't need to be heated, there is the risk of losing power FOR DAYS.

Good luck to you! you are going to hate life going from Florida to PA.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I did this about 10 years ago, moved from FL to NJ in November (right before a whole ton of blizzards too.)

Here are some things I learned about winter.

Get a nice coat that keeps you warm. You will not find this in any store in Florida, so make this your first purchase in PA.

Make sure you have non-freezing wiper fluid in your car. I just used a hose and water my whole drat life until I found out why that doesn't work in winter.

A credit card can be used in a pinch to scrap ice off your windshield.

The day is way shorter during the winter and it's super loving weird. Still not used to it.

You'll get used to the cold way faster than you'll imagine, and by spring you might try and go outside in shorts and a tshirt when it's 50 out because it'll feel nice. Don't, it's still cold as poo poo and I got so sick from this crap.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I may have missed it and nobody seems to have asked: What part of Pennsylvania?

Get a parka, a heavier weight set of jeans, 1 pair of winter boots (Merrell Moab waterproofs can work all year round) and some long sleeve shirts/hooded sweatshirts. Fit the parka with the mentality that you're going to be wearing it over a heavier underlayer like a sweatshirt/sweater, so one size up (usually, depending on fit).

Check your vehicle. If you've been using bare water for washer fluid (because you're a dunce), get that stuff mixed with legit all season fluid immediately (blue or orange bottle, sold at every gas station). Change the oil just in case. Make sure your coolant is proper and doesn't need any changes as directed by the OEM. You do not need winter tires for Pennsylvania (unless you're going rural, but even that's marginal), but you should get a set of durable all season's. Do not cheap out on this. Go with a Major brand: Goodyear, Firestone, Yokohama, Michelin, Cooper or Continental.

Seriously: I lived in Florida for a decade, i know how poo poo people are about their tires down there. If there are more than 15K miles on those tires and you do not get them rotated every 5K and the alignment done every 15K, get a new set of all seasons.

Seriously: DO NOT BUY poo poo rear end NO NAME TIRES. They will be hard as rocks whenever the temp drops below 40.

Driving on snow is more like boating than driving. You can't really get good at this until you've done it a few times. There's no use in trying to instruct you. One tip though: Be deliberate. One other tip: Anything 'sudden' is not your friend. No sudden turns, no sudden braking, no sudden acceleration. Deliberate and careful. If you are forced to do anything sudden, you are either not being deliberate or someone/thing else on the road is out of control and you're about to get roped into it.

The furnace heats your house. Without any indications on how you're living (rent, own, house, apt, teepee), can't give any more info than that. There are different types. Some take natty gas, some are heating oil and some are electric.

If you own the place you'll be living, you need to shovel your walks including sidewalk, if there is one. If you're renting, that's going to be on the landlord. Keep a jug of ice melt on hand to help with this. Shoveling half way through an event can make cleanup later easier, FYI.

Yeah, you'll be fine.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 27, 2020

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Some Guy From NY posted:

If you go on vacation during winter LEAVE YOUR HEAT ON (if it's electric). You pipes will freeze if your house is not heated. Or as others have said, learn how to shut off your main water supply. You then have to drain your faucets and shower/tub heads. For good measure, you can also buy RV antifreeze (walmart sells it, a few dollars per gallon) and pour some in your toilet bowl, toilet tank, and down your tub/shower drains and your sink drains. This is completely safe to do and will prevent the water in the traps from freezing.

If you lose power for an extended period, leave faucets/showers on a slow drip. This will prevent pipes from freezing and bursting.

Get a generator if it's financially feasible to prevent having to do the above.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

The furnace heats your house. Without any indications on how you're living (rent, own, house, apt, teepee), can't give any more info than that. There are different types. Some take natty gas, some are heating oil and some are electric.

Also, not all houses have furnaces or used forced hot air. Some houses use hot water baseboard or steam radiators and thus have boilers. Forced hot air = the same ductwork that carries cool air from an AC unit blows hot air. Simple.

Baseboard radiator heat = you have a bunch of water pipes in a closed loop running through the house. Boiler kicks on, heats up the water, and pumps it through the pipes.

If you do have forced hot air, get a humidifier for your bedroom at night because the hot air will dry everything out and you'll wake up with a sore throat.

Oh, and if you run ceiling fans in a clockwise direction at a low speed during the winter, they will push the hot air down and keep the room warmer.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 27, 2020

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Get a humidifier regardless of what kind of heat you have, especially if you own anything valuable made of wood, like musical instruments.

Your car will be filthy between October and May no matter how often you wash it. Be prepared for that if it bothers you.

If you put your bed next to an outside wall, check it periodically for mold growth during the winter.

It's been said many times already, but seriously we're not kidding, drive slower when there's snow on the road.

Buttchocks fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 28, 2020

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

To offer some less practical but still important advice, start thinking about what winter sports you might want to try (assuming you haven’t done any before). Seasonal depression is real and being cooped up inside all winter long can be a real mind killer. Skiing, ice skating, hockey, snow shoeing, sledding, ice climbing, ice fishing... finding a way to enjoy being out in the cold and snow can make your quality of life during winter much better.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jintozook81 posted:

You cars lifespan will be significantly shorter. Between driving through the mountains and the harsh winters. The snow can get deep. My cousins and I used to dig tunnels through the yard and make trenches and igloo’s. Snow war.

The worst part about winter and car health is the salting of the roads. I think they're too quick to salt the roads here. I'd rather drive on a nice snowy road, possibly sanded, than wet slush, since I got winter tyres. Anyway that's countered by washing the car if given the chance.

And also getting anti-rust treatments during summer season (not required every season).

And the car will be better off outside but under a roof, than going into a warm garage.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Schweinhund posted:

You don't need winter tires in PA. If you can afford them and want to go through the hassle of changing them twice per year then go for it but most people don't use them.

I'm in new jersey and it doesn't snow that much around here. There might be 3 significant snowfalls per winter and they plow it off the roads within a day. So you might not even have to drive in snow any time soon.

really depends on where in PA. i used to live in Pittsburgh and we got way more snow than that, and the city was terrible at dealing with it in many neighborhoods, plus it's a hilly town so icy/snowy roads are extra hosed. up in Erie and that area they get lake effect snow.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The worst part about winter and car health is the salting of the roads. I think they're too quick to salt the roads here. I'd rather drive on a nice snowy road, possibly sanded, than wet slush, since I got winter tyres. Anyway that's countered by washing the car if given the chance.
The issue with that is that the nice snowy road turns to ice after a couple cars drive over it.

MagnifiedX
Jan 31, 2003
Atom Splitting Retard

Animal-Mother posted:

Note on the tire chains: every state has different laws on when you're allowed to use them (if at all) and the conditions for use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Dik Hz posted:

The issue with that is that the nice snowy road turns to ice after a couple cars drive over it.

Yes when it gets real cold here, not even salt will keep it off and the road gets a layer of compacted snow, not quite ice IMO. I like it to be honest, my ideal winter driving conditions. The roads are graveled instead and the car is nice and clean and traction with winter tyres is just fine. I mostly drive on country roads and not in cities, where I think they salt until everything melts.