Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

HEY GUNS posted:

Unlimbering and getting into line is much more complex than you probably assume.

You're right, I do not. I just know it takes a full turn to do in wargames. I could not find any you tube demonstration of it either.

(And I did make it a point to make it an Olympic level sport! )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It would probably be an okay crossfit exercise.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

It would probably be an okay crossfit exercise.
i hate crossfit so no

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

You're right, I do not. I just know it takes a full turn to do in wargames. I could not find any you tube demonstration of it either.

(And I did make it a point to make it an Olympic level sport! )

I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZUM5wm0BA - is that roughly what you're after?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nothingtoseehere posted:

With black powder cannons having that much energy... how modern a tank would you need to be able to shrug off a direct hit from a black powder cannon - say a Napoleonic one?

Obviously a modern tank would ignore it, but would a T-34? A sherman? A Renault FT?

Depends on the quality of the shot, if it's just cast iron it will probably shatter on impact and not do much damage to anything with more than bulletproof armour.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Until the nineties in the UK at least the armed forces had a sort of physical fitness drill tournament against each other which did have soldiers setting up and moving traditional artillery pieces.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Until the nineties in the UK at least the armed forces had a sort of physical fitness drill tournament against each other which did have soldiers setting up and moving traditional artillery pieces.

The Field Gun Competition is still around, but only as a long-standing private competition between various RN teams.

The 'official' RN Command version, which included having to get the disassembled gun and crew across a chasm and over a couple of walls, hasn't been run since 1999, but a couple of civilian teams still do it.

The gun is an 8cwt 12-pounder, complete with carriage, wheels, limber, ammunition and (in the Command version) a pair of spars and lifting tackle to get it over the chasm.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

so the period ACW manuals say you should "spring" to move the piece back into position after the recoil has made it do whatever it's going to do and it's come to a safe halt.

I've done this. There's little springing involved.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I’d read that as “spring to action” as in get to it ASAP. Not a description of the physical act but an emphasis upon how important it is to get the gun back to its firing position as soon as the recoil stops. That’s a big deal for maintaining a high RoF.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’d read that as “spring to action” as in get to it ASAP.
possible is really carrying a lot of weight there.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

HEY GUNS posted:

possible is really carrying a lot of weight there.

How about "reasonably practical" then? ASARP.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BalloonFish posted:

The Field Gun Competition is still around, but only as a long-standing private competition between various RN teams.

The 'official' RN Command version, which included having to get the disassembled gun and crew across a chasm and over a couple of walls, hasn't been run since 1999, but a couple of civilian teams still do it.

The gun is an 8cwt 12-pounder, complete with carriage, wheels, limber, ammunition and (in the Command version) a pair of spars and lifting tackle to get it over the chasm.
What a handsome piece. But there's something weird on the breech... :v:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Pikehead posted:

I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZUM5wm0BA - is that roughly what you're after?

3 minutes to get them ready...but those aren't muzzle loaders. HUGE amounts of smoke though- would Napoleonic or ACW guns have more or less smoke?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Those look like absolutely tiny charges, Napoleonic would probably be more smoke.

The video of those guys shooting ACW cannons at that APC also includes shots from behind the crews, you can see how much smoke is being generated by single guns firing at a leisurely pace on a windy day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL1DkrYL70s&t=183s

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 23, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's not a very good demonstration or comparable for ACW/Napoleonics work because it's guards on parade with very different weapons.

In addition to being breech-loading with a contained cartridge, they also have a recoil device. A lot of the work in a Napoleonic piece is repositioning the gun after it recoils - a recoil device eliminates the need to do this.

Those are saluting charges so I imagine they are pretty lightweight.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

if the people who were doing it were anything similar to the people I was with 20 years ago they would have told the spectators to cover their ears and open their mouths. were you not listening?

if they didn't tell you that's their fault. There are a lot of reenactors who have just awful safety.

Why do you open your mouth?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Patrick Spens posted:

so the air has an exit path when it’s knocked out of your lungs by the pressure wave

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I will play agaisnt you once if you will play against me at ASL 8,000 times.

You do have opponents out there, you know, if you ask.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Patrick Spens posted:

WHAT

I CANNOT HEAR YOU

MWAP MWAP

WHAT IS THAT RINGING SOUND? NEVERMIND, I CANNOT HEAR A THING NOW

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've started read BH Liddell Hart's History of the Second World War the past few nights. It's fine so far, but what's his reputation as a historian vs. strategist? Wikipedia says he was a 'clean wehrmacht' kind of guy. He also quotes from Churchill's 'The Second World War alot too-I presume that's worth reading as well? They both have a breezy, decidedly not academic tone that's sort of refreshing after slogging through a book about the HRE.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
"The Cruel Sea" by Monsarratt makes it seem that any realistic movie about naval battles will involve hours and hours of men sitting in chairs, their nerves ragged from being awake 36 hours, straining to hear anything through the hydrophone or standing at watch post with binoculars, straining to see a periscope peak above the water.

Even the famous destroyer charge would take place over half an hour. The crew of the Johnston abandons ship three hours after the first sighting of the enemy. The kamikazes come three hours after that. Most of that time is men sitting at chairs at battle stations or winching 5-inch ammunition around. It's amazing in the imagination, but it would film like a morning staff meeting. Even the famous charge is just... boats going 27 miles per hour for half an hour, followed by the splash of torpedoes. We all love to hear captains telling engineers to push engines beyond design limits, but we can get that in Star Trek and The Hunt for Red October, which keep us entertained with interpersonal drama and human-scale action.

e: We can even get the raggedness on a draft-era naval vessel from the Bedford Incident, along with the drama of the reporter being there to contrast with the captain.

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 23, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've started read BH Liddell Hart's History of the Second World War the past few nights. It's fine so far, but what's his reputation as a historian vs. strategist? Wikipedia says he was a 'clean wehrmacht' kind of guy. He also quotes from Churchill's 'The Second World War alot too-I presume that's worth reading as well? They both have a breezy, decidedly not academic tone that's sort of refreshing after slogging through a book about the HRE.

He was pretty OK but very much a man, and a historian, of his generation. He's pretty easy to go full grad student on but really he wasn't a historian so much as he was a soldier, military theorist, and journalist. Those are the people who wrote the first books about why WW2 happened how WW2 happened, and ended up setting the ground that later historians dug into with archival research etc., but they also weren't working in the same way. It's kind of like bagging on Shirer for how hard he leaned into the Sonderweg. Certainly not the historical consensus today, but also understandable from the perspective of someone who had lived and worked in pre-war Germany and was looking around going "how in the gently caress did these people do that?"

Liddell Heart was also a MASSIVE self promoter, to the point that he tried to take credit for the Germans "inventing" blitzkrieg, claiming that they were the ones smart enough to really look at the stuff he had been writing pre-war.* This also at least partially explains why he became instrumental in clean Wehrmacht poo poo. He was really chummy with a lot of old German generals and did a lot of work interviewing them. He also took a lot of poo poo that they said pretty un-critically, most notably in The German Generals Talk. It's an interesting source if you want to read about what they were thinking and doing today, but you also have to look at it through the lens of knowing they're talking a decade after the war to a Brit who has a hard on for strategic studies. Soft peddling how much you really thought that Adolf guy had the right idea makes a lot of sense.

I've also gotten the impression - although it's only that, an impression, and not backed by anything like a quote or something that I can really point to - that he had a fairly upper middle class late 19th Century British schoolboy attitude towards warfare as being a giant game of sport. A brutal one, at times an ugly one, but still something undertaken by two groups of galant men playing by a certain set of rules. The kind of attitude that comes across in popular accounts of stuff like aces waggling their wings at an opponent who is out of ammo, etc. You see a lot of firm separation between the political objectives of (usually civilian) leadership and the behavior of soldiers in the field in this kind of stuff, in an almost perverse professionalism that tries to separate the activity on the battlefield from the political agendas that brought them there. I think he had a predisposition to see the defeated German generals as vanquished, honorable foes, not the military leadership that orchestrated a genocidal war for a monster.

So, again, a man of his place and time.

People like that tend to be fine for reading the broad strokes of a conflict, especially if it's easy to read prose. Just keep in mind that it's not some authoritative source.

*scare quotes because, well, they didn't really invent all that much see the earlier conversation a few pages up-thread from here

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hypnobeard posted:

You do have opponents out there, you know, if you ask.

I am now a learned man

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think Churchill's The Second World War is worth reading but you have to bear in mind that it's a guy who was head of state government writing about his own opinions and experiences. It's not objective, it's occasionally downright stupid, but it's still an entertaining history of a major decision-maker's experience of the war.

Edit: The first book, The Gathering Storm is my favorite because I'm such a weak student of non-military history. I loved Massie's Dreadnought, and he paints a picture of David Lloyd George as this firebrand who was dragging the Empire into the future. Churchill starts his writing in the 20s and talks about him as a tired old man who had lost most of his mojo. Without ever saying so, it paints a portrait of what WWI did to the people who tried to lead the Empire through it. I don't know if Churchill was prefiguring his own post-war experience or just expressing his personal disappointment, but either way, it hit home with me.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 23, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I think Churchill's The Second World War is worth reading but you have to bear in mind that it's a guy who was head of state writing about his own opinions and experiences. It's not objective, it's occasionally downright stupid, but it's still an entertaining history of a major decision-maker's experience of the war.

Grants memoirs are way up there for similar reasons.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Liddell Hart also had a pet explanation for all of military strategy (which boiled down to "don't attack in the obvious place, dummy") that he kept trying to promote, and I always thought that a lot of his historical writing was done with an bias towards promoting his particular take on strategy.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

haha nice

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Another video of the same, bit better quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyTGRv4DkD0

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

FMguru posted:

Liddell Hart also had a pet explanation for all of military strategy (which boiled down to "don't attack in the obvious place, dummy") that he kept trying to promote, and I always thought that a lot of his historical writing was done with an bias towards promoting his particular take on strategy.

Of all the strategies to push, he could have done a lot worse.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Greg12 posted:

"The Cruel Sea" by Monsarratt makes it seem that any realistic movie about naval battles will involve hours and hours of men sitting in chairs, their nerves ragged from being awake 36 hours, straining to hear anything through the hydrophone or standing at watch post with binoculars, straining to see a periscope peak above the water.

Even the famous destroyer charge would take place over half an hour. The crew of the Johnston abandons ship three hours after the first sighting of the enemy. The kamikazes come three hours after that. Most of that time is men sitting at chairs at battle stations or winching 5-inch ammunition around. It's amazing in the imagination, but it would film like a morning staff meeting. Even the famous charge is just... boats going 27 miles per hour for half an hour, followed by the splash of torpedoes. We all love to hear captains telling engineers to push engines beyond design limits, but we can get that in Star Trek and The Hunt for Red October, which keep us entertained with interpersonal drama and human-scale action.

e: We can even get the raggedness on a draft-era naval vessel from the Bedford Incident, along with the drama of the reporter being there to contrast with the captain.

Weird how that works, isn't it? Then you have situations like the Hood, which exploded shockingly quickly, so much so that only a few guys survived out of the entire crew. Long hours of tense boredom, then a few moments of unbelievable violence, blink and it's over and your ship is now in a dozen pieces plunging towards the sea floor along with almost all of your crewmates.

That perception of time is something that lots of combat veterans mention, not just naval. Everything goes by too drat slowly until the action starts, then everything happens too drat quickly. I can't attest to it from personal experience, but that's how I understand it.

On another note, I've been on a nostalgia journey through some of my old PS2 games, and in one of them I chanced to pick up a "Cast Iron Long Sword". I have to insist that my knowledge of metallurgy is extremely bad, but isn't cast iron a terrible choice for a sword? I thought I remembered a discussion about it in the last thread.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It will shatter the first time you hit anything with it. Other than that it's fine!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

“gently caress-Off-Huge Letter Opener” doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cessna posted:

"We will deal Al-Qaida the decisive death blow by invading... Iraq! They will be completely unprepared for it!"

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Why do tanks have smoothbore guns?

Cessna posted:

"Humans have a preset kill limit..."

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

White Coke posted:

Because muzzle velocities have gone up so much that today's projectiles will quickly wear out or damage rifling. Instead, projectiles are spun by fins.

Edit: Also, some guns, especially for the Russians, are also used to fire ATGMs.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 24, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The British and Indian MBTs (Challenger 2 and Arjun) are rifled, but this limits your ability to use the more narrow sabot penetrators or some of the more interesting tank-launched missile systems.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Greg12 posted:

Indeed, and I think the film of the book actually gets that across very well; at least as well could be expected for a wide-release studio war movie, anyway. I'm thinking especially of the bit where Compass Rose has to spend a quiet, calm, clear summer's night alone and adrift due to a bad propshaft bearing and the crew spend eight hours of gradually-increasing tension waiting for what seems to be the inevitable torpedo. The whole point of the scene is that nothing happens...but it could happen and it comes across very well in the way the different characters respond to it. And the later sequence when Saltash Castle spends a night and a morning off North Cape hunting for a submarine, just hours of 'mowing the lawn' back and forth. Even in the greatly-compressed way its presented in the film, the boredom and exhaustion (mental and physical) is portrayed very astutely, accompanied to the empty pinging of the Asdic...and when the echo finally returns it actually makes you jump.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Cessna posted:

Because muzzle velocities have gone up so much that today's projectiles will quickly wear out or damage rifling. Instead, projectiles are spun by fins.

Doesn't rifling also hurt your muzzle velocity at these energy levels?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

White Coke posted:

"Humans have a preset kill limit..."

There are several reasons. One as someone already pointed out is wear. The higher pressure, the faster the rifling wears out. Modern ammunition is fired at very high velocity and therefore very high pressure, and that's very hard on the rifling.

Two is that HEAT jets decrease in effectiveness greatly if the projectile is spinning. There are two ways to go about correcting this, one is to make a rotating sleeve that engages with the rifling while the warhead stays still, the other is to just go smoothbore and stabilize the projectile with fins. Turns out fins are pretty good for stabilization, just as good as rifling, so kinetic penetrators also became finned.

Someone else already mentioned missiles, you can put them in a special launcher on top of the tank, or just shove them down the barrel and not have to make another hole in your tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

I didn't read the quoted part first and thought this was a curiously aggressive response to a fairly benign post