Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
Dear Santee, I'm sorry for being so late. In a nutshell, gently caress 2020.

But your package is off into the insane wild yonder! I hope you won't mind the delay too much :ohdearsass:

Love,
Sehkmet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Stack Machine posted:

Thanks, shrimpwhiskers!

Edit (finally got this old thing to boot up):

https://i.imgur.com/ZMdlAuf.mp4

Turns out the coolest piece hadn't even arrived yet when I posted yesterday; this lovely cross-stitched placard:

I'll put it on the wall by my ham radio gear when I finally set up my ham radio gear.

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 23, 2020

pantX0r
Jan 7, 2004
hey, back again!
poo poo.

Well, between the end of the semester and the fact that I'm not nearly as good at electronics as I thought, I can't get this out the door by Christmas.

Sorry HungryMedusa, I'll get it out after Christmas.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Happy holidays everyone!

:siren: The deadbeat deadline has come and passed and I’m still missing a few tracking numbers. :siren:

I’ll be going through the list over the next couple days to reach out to the people who haven’t sent anything to ensure their santees don’t get left out in the cold this holiday season, with no insulated stairs or melted siding to keep them warm. :ohdearsass:

If anyone is interested in being a rescue Santa as well, now is the time to PM or email me.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Just in case;
my tracking number is at the top of the receipt, next to "Sendungsnummer",(the code with "CY" at the start).

No idea when it will arrive, bit hope my recipient gets some enjoyment out of it!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Did you get my tracking number? I emailed it a couple days ago but didn't get a reply, figured you were just busy but my email account has also been acting weird lately so figured I'd ask here...

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Dearest Santee, your package is in the worst kind of hell. Canada Post hell. It might make it but you just need to believe in diy Christmas magic.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Did you get my tracking number? I emailed it a couple days ago but didn't get a reply, figured you were just busy but my email account has also been acting weird lately so figured I'd ask here...

Yep I got yours!

:siren: Currently I am waiting on tracking numbers or other proof of shipping from the following 5 4 2 posters: :siren:

fuzzy_logic - contacted me
pantx0r - santee is fine with waiting

McSpergin - tracking received
Carbohydrates - gift was received and posted in this thread
mediaphage - tracking received

I've reached out privately to all of them (check your email and discord messages please!) to see if I missed the tracking number somewhere in the path between my email and the master spreadsheet. And if not, I want to try to work out a solution for an interim gift while they finish their main gift because 2020 is a hell year and I'm honestly cutting everyone some slack.

If I don't hear back in the next few days, however, :redhammer:

corgski fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 25, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Didn't Carbohydrate send that little lego drill?

e: ninja'd

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Yep! I was quickly reminded by a little birdie to check the thread after I posted.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The USPS tracking info on mine hasn't been updated in 4 days so :rip: santee I promise I tried

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The USPS tracking info on mine hasn't been updated in 4 days so :rip: santee I promise I tried

A cutting board I shipped back on Dec 8th is still sitting "in transit" and hasn't been updated since the 17th. gently caress the USPS :argh:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

gently caress the USPS :argh:

No.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

gently caress the USPS :argh:

They're doing the best they can in an unbelievably hostile political environment, and then the pandemic spiked demand for their services like mad. It's no surprise that things are going slowly.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Thankyou for the Japanese babygear. He doesn’t seem all that keen on the fish jerky but we’ll persevere :sun:

Baus!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

pantX0r posted:

poo poo.

Well, between the end of the semester and the fact that I'm not nearly as good at electronics as I thought, I can't get this out the door by Christmas.

Sorry HungryMedusa, I'll get it out after Christmas.

No problem, I can wait!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Thankyou for the Japanese babygear. He doesn’t seem all that keen on the fish jerky but we’ll persevere :sun:

Baus!

:peanut:

I'll happily take on any extra Santees! Squid jerky for everyone.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Mine's also stuck in transit, and since it's all Christmas stuff so I'm going to be crossing my fingers for a last minute save.

A reminder that on top of the pandemic increasing demand, DeJoy's total loving of the USPS in order to disrupt mail-in voting is still paying dividends. The USPS is genuinely a good and valuable public service that conservatives have been trying to murder for years. Don't let them take it from us.

peanut posted:

-Hides lovely rulers under pillow-

I too am giftless. Send mochi please.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I get the feeling USPS's tracking system is just having trouble too, cuz my package still says "label created" despite dropping it off at the post office and watching them scan it in yesterday.

pantX0r
Jan 7, 2004
hey, back again!

HungryMedusa posted:

No problem, I can wait!

Thank you so much!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peanut posted:

I honestly couldn't understand how I lived my life until a couple weeks ago when I made my first okonomiyaki and had the first taste of katsuobushi topping. I know it's not squid but some kind of tuna, but still.

Then again my reaction to eating my first surströmming was "not bad...actually kinda good" while everyone else already left the building due to the smell, so I might be weird.

Oh, also, peanut: I'll try my first origami crane today, wish me luck ;)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Katsuobushi is good on almost everything savory, liked boiled veg and potato salad and green salad and tofu and chow mein and … man I have some ideas of other intense fish products you might like. We're bffs now.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
:shibe:

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 24, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I put that sauce on so much stuff now...it's awesome.

Also...I'm really sorry :negative: kinda made a harpy crossed with a krogan...

e: I'm really open for fish stuff. Found a non-contact source/online-order for freezed pulpo and will try to make some Takoyaki soon...

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 24, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Please visit and chill when borders reopen :cheersdoge:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Popping in to say I have received my thing! It's incredible and I love it! I'll post again with actual words and a photo or two when I have some time.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Carbohydrates posted:

Popping in to say I have received my thing! It's incredible and I love it! I'll post again with actual words and a photo or two when I have some time.

Awesome, I'm so happy that it got there before Christmas!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I think I got my secret santa? But I'm not sure because it is very bizarre? I received a package today addressed to "Ruby Tex" so it obviously comes from the internet. Inside there was this note:

Other than that there was some packaging and two plastic knobs coloured yellow and green. One of the knobs apparently causes cancer and reproductive harm:

These are apparently replacement heads for a hammer I don't own? I guess I could use them as a hammer if I made my own handle. :confused:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 25, 2020

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Chip McFuck, you've got some pretty nice handwritting.

So it finally comes around to Christmas Day and I can open the comically oversized, super light weight box that's been sitting in my living room for the past month and a half.

I've got a letter! I don't get many of those, and I'm sad to say that my secret santa did not receive one from me, partially because they likely wouldn't have been able to read it, but mostly because I kinda got flustered with the whole thing and forgot.

But this is my letter in pretty hand-writting.

Now, I'll be honest here I didn't read the letter until after I'd opened all of them so I didn't know they were hand-made in any particular style but they are pretty awesome. The texture that you can see in the pictures can definitely be felt when you run your fingers over the covers. I don't know if I'm missing something in the binding style on this one or if I'm just a dumb and you just crease it at the binding, but it doesn't really open all the way? Visually I like this binding style more than the other two.

This one pulls apart more like a scroll than a book (couldn't think of a way to get a good picture). Like if I were in anyway poetic I could make a 10ft long* poem. Conceptually I think this one's my favorite.

This style would make for an amazing pup-up book, since when you open it the page ends are hooked over each other and it fans open((with some help) also couldn't get a good picture). This one's pretty cool, unfortunately my lack of artistic talent doesn't lean in that direction.

Thank you Chip McFuck! I have no idea what I'll do with them, but hopefully I can think of something that's worth the time you put into it!

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Rutibex posted:

So I think I got my secret santa? But I'm not sure because it is very bizarre? I received a package today addressed to "Ruby Tex" so it obviously comes from the internet. Inside there was this note:

Other than that there was some packaging and two plastic knobs coloured yellow and green. One of the knobs apparently causes cancer and reproductive harm:

These are apparently replacement heads for a hammer I don't own? I guess I could use them as a hammer if I made my own handle. :confused:

Funnily enough I sent that a week after I sent your actual gift. The note was more appropriate than I thought it would be. Thanks, Canada Post. It's currently in Winnipeg waiting to move on. It'll make sense and be cool I promise.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Funnily enough I sent that a week after I sent your actual gift. The note was more appropriate than I thought it would be. Thanks, Canada Post. It's currently in Winnipeg waiting to move on. It'll make sense and be cool I promise.

:D Nice, I assumed it was some sort of meme multi stage gift. I can't wait, Merry Christmas!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

GEMorris posted:

Awesome, I'm so happy that it got there before Christmas!
Same!

I got a box! It's an absolutely gorgeous white oak box. It's silky smooth to the touch. There is no immediately evident way to open it, and I super dig that, too.

It came with a pretty lengthy and helpful letter explaining how it works, but also my partner has had Japanese boxes like this before too, so they showed me how it goes instantly. It's a scaled-down version of a Japanese tool box! You push this little wedge out of place and the top is free to slide to the right just enough to clear the left overhang, which allows the top to lift off.

The tolerances are extremely tight and it is really satisfying to open and close this box. It's also beautiful, and proudly sits in my living room now. I love the wood, I love the size, and I love the hardware.

It has a large open compartment at the bottom and a sliding tray with organizers that sits atop that! My Santa, GEMorris, said they focused on the "into LEGO" and "cabin-y aesthetic" parts of my post here and intended this to be used to hold minifig components, or similar small parts. The compartments in the tray are certainly about perfectly sized for that. My partner was also kind of eyeballing it to steal to hold small art supplies, so we'll see how that shakes out. Regardless, it's beautiful and amazing and I love it! Thanks so much!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

immoral_ posted:

Chip McFuck, you've got some pretty nice handwritting.

So it finally comes around to Christmas Day and I can open the comically oversized, super light weight box that's been sitting in my living room for the past month and a half.

I've got a letter! I don't get many of those, and I'm sad to say that my secret santa did not receive one from me, partially because they likely wouldn't have been able to read it, but mostly because I kinda got flustered with the whole thing and forgot.

But this is my letter in pretty hand-writting.

Now, I'll be honest here I didn't read the letter until after I'd opened all of them so I didn't know they were hand-made in any particular style but they are pretty awesome. The texture that you can see in the pictures can definitely be felt when you run your fingers over the covers. I don't know if I'm missing something in the binding style on this one or if I'm just a dumb and you just crease it at the binding, but it doesn't really open all the way? Visually I like this binding style more than the other two.

This one pulls apart more like a scroll than a book (couldn't think of a way to get a good picture). Like if I were in anyway poetic I could make a 10ft long* poem. Conceptually I think this one's my favorite.

This style would make for an amazing pup-up book, since when you open it the page ends are hooked over each other and it fans open((with some help) also couldn't get a good picture). This one's pretty cool, unfortunately my lack of artistic talent doesn't lean in that direction.

Thank you Chip McFuck! I have no idea what I'll do with them, but hopefully I can think of something that's worth the time you put into it!

This is so cool where the heck is the bookbinding/papermaking thread????

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

You're welcome! I'm so glad you like them. Sorry for the huge box it shipped in; I got lazy and didn't want to cut it down to a smaller size. At least you'll have plenty of bubble wrap if you need to mail something else! :shobon:

I don't remember what I wrote in the letter, but here's some info about them in case I forgot to include it:

The orange book is made using a stab binding technique called Yotsume Toji, which means 'four holes' in Japanese. The pages and covers are stabbed through with an awl and bound together with a single piece of waxed thread. Feel free to crease! It's not supposed to lie flat when open like the others, but it has the advantage of being able to add or take out pages from the book pretty easily.

The black book is a double-leaved album (Nobiru Gajō) and one of my favorites, too! Just looks very clean and classy. Each of the pages is bound doubled to add thickness and rigidity. This means it's also double sided, so you can write on the back of the book as well!

The last one is a flutter book (Sempūyō). The pages are bound together on the edges, which allows it to flip pretty easily as well as adding a little bit of rigidity. As a bonus, because of the way this style of binding works, the pages are only connected to the covers at two points which allows you to pull the pages out so you can draw or write on multiple pages at the same time. They can also make a cool starburst shape! Makes for a neat display.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
OMG OMG OMG I Just got my gift and it is THE COOLEST THING EVER. I received a box with much packaging, several layers of cards and letters, and THIS BEAUTIFUL HAMMER

According to the letter Bi-la kaifa and partner found this brass hammer among the tool collection of an old millwrite. It is made of solid brass and weighs a ton. It is engraved with the date March 17, 1981. The handle was apparently messed up so Bi-la kaifa made a new one. It is lovely and quite comfortable! That makes this hammer double DIY. The ends are kind of chewed up, but Bi-la kaifa kindly provided some new hammer heads to replace the old ones (see my previous highly confused post). I won't be replacing the heads, at least not for now. I love the original quality! I'm actually a trained archivist, so having the provenience of this hammer, and the exact date it was milled engraved on the outside is giving me some nerd pleasure you can not understand. I have a great many hammers, but not one like this, so it is actually quite useful to me!

Also included were 4 lovely home made holiday cards from Bi-la kaifas wife. It would have been nice if Canada post got these to me before Xmas, but I still have a few gifts to give so they will come in handy :v:

Thank you so much this gift is fantastic!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 30, 2020

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
God damnit USPS, move my Santee's package please. gently caress.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Hurray! Rutibex, I'm glad you like it. I was a bit worried about gifting something I technically didn't make but it's such a cool thing if you like old stuff, which I'm thankful you do. I ordered myself some of those heads too so I think I'll make one of my own if I ever get my hands on a lathe. Merry Christmas!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just checked the tracking on mine and it appears to be going backwards :psyduck:

Like it somehow first teleported to Miami 5 days ago, spent several days there, then today at 1 AM departed Miami to head to... my local distribution center, which it passed through at 8:40 AM and departed at 10:30 AM...

... I really hope this is a glitch and I didn't accidentally mail it to myself somehow

e: Some unrelated package I mailed at the same time to somewhere else also teleported to Miami on the first day but appears to have left there at 9 AM Christmas day (when I'm pretty sure the postal service isn't even working...) and hasn't been heard from since so who the heck knows.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 30, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Hurray! Rutibex, I'm glad you like it. I was a bit worried about gifting something I technically didn't make but it's such a cool thing if you like old stuff, which I'm thankful you do. I ordered myself some of those heads too so I think I'll make one of my own if I ever get my hands on a lathe. Merry Christmas!

Oh I absolutely love it you made the right call. I mean everything has labor contributed in it from tons of anonymous sources, I just happen to be lucky enough to know two of them for this hammer :D

The new hammer heads will not go to waste, I'm going to make a wooden mallet to screw them into. That way I can have two hammers :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Rutibex posted:

Oh I absolutely love it you made the right call. I mean everything has labor contributed in it from tons of anonymous sources, I just happen to be lucky enough to know two of them for this hammer :D

The new hammer heads will not go to waste, I'm going to make a wooden mallet to screw them into. That way I can have two hammers :twisted:

Two hammers means double the carnage :black101: