Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

tell him to watch cowboy bebop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

kerwyn posted:

I was thinking the season 2 openers: "Safe"/"Doors and Corners" (it aired as a 2 parter, right?)

But random protomolecule out of context might turn someone off. "CQB" is probably a safer bet.
First two eps of s2 would be my advice. It's sort of a second introduction. Plus the show is so much stronger and really figured out its characters and its grounding compared to the messiness of season 1.

I made it to the end of season 1 and gave up on it, before the books got me back in. (I enjoy season 1 on a rewatch with full context, but I still think the show is really bad at giving you that context as a new viewer)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah if a grown adult can’t keep their attention on something long enough to get into a show that isn’t even that slow going compared to a lot of great stuff out there, then that’s their problem and it’s probably just not for them.

Just so my post isn’t me being an rear end in a top hat about your friend: holy loving shiiiiit that was a good episode! Good to see Avasarala back on top form. This season is going to fuckin rule

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Freaking sweet Ep. Amos and his amazing everything... I'm sure he's fine. ...he must have gotten out somehow...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One of the very first scenes of the entire series - Avasarala interrogating a Belter about why he was smuggling stealth tech - was part of the buildup to this season.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

One of the very first scenes of the entire series - Avasarala interrogating a Belter about why he was smuggling stealth tech - was part of the buildup to this season.

Yeah, it's loving awesome.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I have a friend that couldn't get into the show the last time he tried watching season one. He wants to give it another shot considering how much I gush about it, but has an easier time getting into hour-long episode drama shows if he watches a random, particularly good episode, even if it's out-of-order. Considering the series is based on a set of novels and is basically all about character development, that sounds like a difficult request and I'm struggling to think of any single episode to suggest to get the hooks in. Anyone have a specific single episode, maybe two, to recommend?

As someone who recently went through the same thing I'd tell him to just power through. I watched the first episode a long time ago and thought "this is fine I guess", then spent literally the next year restarting episode 2 every now and then and trying to get through it. Finally a month ago I just said "gently caress it" restarted the whole thing and forced myself to sit down and watch it. My takeaway is that season 1 is very good but it really takes three or four eps to really settle into. And even then by the end of the season my take on the show was "this is good I guess I'll keep watching" By the end of the first episode of season 2 I was where just got completely hooked and couldn't stop watching. Seasons 2 and 3 are just relentlessly entertaining.

I think I would appreciate season 1 more upon a rewatch now that I am more invested in the show.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 24, 2020

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Fister Roboto posted:

Wasn't he smuggling it for Protogen for their stealth ships rather than for Marco? Unless I'm misremembering.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Wasn't he smuggling it for Protogen for their stealth ships rather than for Marco? Unless I'm misremembering.

Protogen just straight up bought stealth tech from Mars, no need to smuggle it. But the fact that you thought that was the case is good misdirection on the part of the show runners.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I have a friend that couldn't get into the show the last time he tried watching season one. He wants to give it another shot considering how much I gush about it, but has an easier time getting into hour-long episode drama shows if he watches a random, particularly good episode, even if it's out-of-order. Considering the series is based on a set of novels and is basically all about character development, that sounds like a difficult request and I'm struggling to think of any single episode to suggest to get the hooks in. Anyone have a specific single episode, maybe two, to recommend?

Windmills Season 1, episode 7.
The A story is isn't in the books, where they catch Avasarala's spy on board on the way to Eros and almost get boarded by Martians. It's a whole bunch of Amos ("Either way this goes, you're dead and I'm the one whose going to give you the good news." The first Churn speech, and his casual acceptance that Holden almost shot him)

The B story is Avasarala visiting Holden's mom, which owns and there's some real good Dawes/Miller in between

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Nope. The showrunners were having fun with book readers by incorporating Marco's plot into season 1 of the show. He's been planning this for awhile, but only recently lucked out into getting all the pieces he needed.

Avasarala also tells her grandson that she, "hates people that throw rocks" in the same episode. You guys might dislike book readers chilling in here, but it should be self evident the degree of self control we had that the rocks were not spoiled 3 seasons ago.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
TVIV> The Expanse, Season 5: Jesus Christ, that’s really how I went through life, wasn’t it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Nope. The showrunners were having fun with book readers by incorporating Marco's plot into season 1 of the show. He's been planning this for awhile, but only recently lucked out into getting all the pieces he needed.

Avasarala also tells her grandson that she, "hates people that throw rocks" in the same episode. You guys might dislike book readers chilling in here, but it should be self evident the degree of self control we had that the rocks were not spoiled 3 seasons ago.

"It's OK, they just break up in the atmosphere" was just :discourse: foreshadowing.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Hey, thanks for all the recommendations folks! And don't worry about dunking on him, I'm more or less of the same mind that if you don't have the patience for it, you're not going to enjoy it so move on. :shrug:

He specifically asked, though, so I'm going to look over your suggestions and pick one or two to throw at him, even if it spoils something.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There was enough wink wink nudge nudge posting about that line to make it obvious something was happening with rocks being thrown at Earth.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Normy posted:

There was enough wink wink nudge nudge posting about that line to make it obvious something was happening with rocks being thrown at Earth.

And yet nobody ever talks about glass houses

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Azhais posted:

And yet nobody ever talks about glass houses

Except for Prax.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Normy posted:

I read through all of the expanse threads when I caught up with the show during season 3, because i might be a little obsessed with this show, and the one constant in all of them has been how awful the book readers have been about wink wink nudge nudge not technically spoilers. Even just blatant spoilers. Now that I've read the books I can't really weigh in on discussion much but seeing book spoilers in here is still a source of irritation to me.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

CainsDescendant posted:

I read through all of the expanse threads when I caught up with the show during season 3, because i might be a little obsessed with this show, and the one constant in all of them has been how awful the book readers have been about wink wink nudge nudge not technically spoilers. Even just blatant spoilers. Now that I've read the books I can't really weigh in on discussion much but seeing book spoilers in here is still a source of irritation to me.

it was like that with the GoT thread too, some people just get off on having knowledge about a show/book/movie/whatever that other people don't and letting everyone know they know they do :shrug:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

CainsDescendant posted:

So, I'm 90% sure I asked a book thing in this thread but using tags... so Imma find that and delete that.

Sorry for being a part of the problem, will do better

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CainsDescendant posted:

I've been following these TV threads for a while and it hasn't been bad whatsoever, you're completely exaggerating.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I had no idea who it was that Amos met in the prison and only through this thread found out that it was "Melba" a character who I only know from the Expanse wiki is Julie Mao's sister and was mostly in Season 3. Sorry, it's been a long year of TV this year, I've had a lot of garbage to fill the limited space in my head. Why was she put in prison and what is the "mod" she has to take medication for? And what does Amos have to do with any of it?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
She’s in prison for blowing up a ship full of people, and trying to kill Holden & company. The mod is some sort of black-market hyper-adrenaline implant that lets her wreck poo poo for a minute, before giving her a puking hangover and unconsciousness. Amos feels some sort of compassion for her, for his own reasons.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The setup for the rock drop in S1E1 is just so cool. The slowest burn...

Also, it's a good think Esp didn't see all of this kinkshaming: TVIV is very horny. :c00lbert:

Did any non-book readers see the rock drop coming? TV tropes generally prevent stuff like that from happening, and they seemed to go hard towards Avasarala stopping it at the last minute only to be foiled.

Did anyone who didn't know see it coming? Or the other two?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I really can’t stand Philip or Naomi’s story. I can’t stand Philip because he’s a stupid 16 year old teenager or whatever who just stands there with the same expression throughout the entire episode.

I can’t stand Naomi’s story because it’s just so boring and I can’t empathize with her at all. She’s yelling “JUST LISTEN TO ME” and I’m like why should he?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also, it's a good think Esp didn't see all of this kinkshaming: TVIV is very horny. :c00lbert:

Did any non-book readers see the rock drop coming? TV tropes generally prevent stuff like that from happening, and they seemed to go hard towards Avasarala stopping it at the last minute only to be foiled.

Last season they straight up showed a hologram of asteroids lining up to hit earth, and Marco stealing stealth tech to put on asteroids before launching them was a pretty big plot point, and Ashford asked Marco why he was throwing rocks at the belt and he said he wasn’t, and they also played that same conversation in the episode Drummer and her crew board Ashford’s ship.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Kazzah posted:

She’s in prison for blowing up a ship full of people, and trying to kill Holden & company. The mod is some sort of black-market hyper-adrenaline implant that lets her wreck poo poo for a minute, before giving her a puking hangover and unconsciousness. Amos feels some sort of compassion for her, for his own reasons.

Oh yeah, I think I remember, she was undercover as some kind of technician or something

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Proud to report that I've been reading Expanse threads since S1 and I did not see the rocks coming, no. (episode already aired so no spoiler tags necessary I believe, ke?)

I plan to start reading the books at the beginning of next year but I must admit, through some combination of willpower re: not looking at spoiler bars plus selective thread reading and goon discretion, I feel thoroughly unspoiled on this show as of right now. And I fuggin hate spoilers, so much so that I need to announce to people well in advance when discussing shows I haven't seen that we'll probably not be on very good terms going forward if they spoil me. I feel like giving them a fair warning helps to justify how irrationally angry I will be at them when they fart out a spoiler at me.

So good job Expanse book readers, thanks for making your jokes highbrow enough that they went over my head!

And I guess while I'm posting I should take an opportunity to say that the latest ep loving ruled, I was in shock that there was so much episode left to go pretty much the entire time. Loved the scheme of using UN-1's head chef to deliver the message to the new UN leader. Also holy poo poo! She's dead now I guess! I feel like, if I was some dumb idiot citizen of Earth (totally not like me now IRL) I would just be terrified to do anything. I'd live in a constant state of panic attack knowing that I could get cosmically creamed by a comet at any moment. gently caress.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I followed the GoT threads back in the day and the book spoilers were terrible. I actually have thought that The Expanse book readers have been very restrained.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Whelp.... That sure was one hell of an episode.

Very glad they are only releasing one a week.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

After a poo poo sandwich of terrible star wars and star treks with a global pandemic in the middle, I'm loving this show.

Re: Bobbie's mouse story- I reckon the actress can deliver, but the dialog was George Lucas levels of awkward. One time, can forgive.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 24, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i enjoy reading books and watching movie shows based on the weird niche of hard sci fi. i want my spacetime turgid

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Bobbie had a pet rat and named it Mouse :3:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol I have those glasses the dude at the end of Ep 3 was wearing.

Edit - Inaros giving me serious True Lies/Crimson Jihad vibes

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 24, 2020

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is there a explanation for why no one thought of covering rocks with stealth tech before? If the UN already knew about Martian stealth tech and had lookouts looking for such things, why would they not care to look for stray rocks?

Maybe it's just watching too much gundam, but rock dropping was just something that came to mind the first time belters were introduced to me.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Up until last episode just about everyone "knew" that the only people with a militarily useful quantity of stealth composites was Mars, and if Mars wants to attack Earth with stealthed projectiles they have Space SSBN's and Space Nuclear Missiles that move a lot faster and hit a lot harder than rocks to do it with (and in fact they did, on screen).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ughhhh posted:

Is there a explanation for why no one thought of covering rocks with stealth tech before? If the UN already knew about Martian stealth tech and had lookouts looking for such things, why would they not care to look for stray rocks?

Maybe it's just watching too much gundam, but rock dropping was just something that came to mind the first time belters were introduced to me.

Belters don't officially have the tech and are disregarded as shitbird miners and scrappers. Mars wouldn't throw rocks because they have a military industrial complex to support.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ughhhh posted:

Space is kinda vast and, I would assume, resources to spot stealth objects very limited.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Did they say earlier that they wouldn't use the watchtowers to look for rocks because they were already pointed at Mars, watching for nukes?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CPColin posted:

Did they say earlier that they wouldn't use the watchtowers to look for rocks because they were already pointed at Mars, watching for nukes?

Exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

They incinerated half of brazil with a well aimed martian nuke.This show pulls zero punches.

ughhhh posted:

The military industrial complex can't wet its beak on a simple rock thrown down the well.It's also a dumb weapon that has very little potential once you get past the stealth, planetbusters go really fast allowing you to start the end of the human race in a couple minutes instead of having to carefully plan months in advance.Earth suffers three impacts, but once they get privy to it, they start railgunning those bad boys.Inaros throws 9 rocks down the well and hits with three, MARS launches like a missile, that breaks out in multiple warheads.Multiply that for a 1000.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 24, 2020