Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Fart Sandwiches posted:

speaking of buscemi, we watched death of Stalin the other day and it was excellent. I didn't even know he was in it and that was a very nice surprise

death to stalin is one of the best black comedies ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
my dad stopped at my place for a bit awhile ago, and I made him watch death of stalin lmao

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

speaking of buscemi, we watched death of Stalin the other day and it was excellent. I didn't even know he was in it and that was a very nice surprise

one of the little things i really liked about that movie was that they didn't try to do russian accents. steve talked like a guy from brooklyn, and jeffrey tambor played jeffrey tambor

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
death of stalin is almost blazing saddles level

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roosevelt posted:

one of the little things i really liked about that movie was that they didn't try to do russian accents. steve talked like a guy from brooklyn, and jeffrey tambor played jeffrey tambor

evidently lenin had an irish accent when speaking english as that's where his tutor was from

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Roosevelt posted:

russia is a big place and has a million regional accents but non-speakers would never pick up the differences, so it makes sense to have loads of different english accents too.

making stalin cockney(ish) was genius though because to russians georgians fit a lot of the same stereotypes

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 23, 2020

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5bOJT_HtUI

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

hell, i'd probably use a spell that makes people think i'm wearing pants.

i ain't. and i ain't using no corner neither
drat. outsmarted by a newfie.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wanted to like death of stalin but it felt like 30 year old johnny carson jokes about the ussr and wow, look how wacky beria the serial torturer and rapist is

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chris Knight posted:

drat. outsmarted by a newfie.
the great conjunction is making even the most unlikely things possible

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I watched Happiest Season and it mostly sucked but Dan Levy was great and there's a lot of eye candy and it has a happy ending

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sweevo posted:

russia is a big place and has a million regional accents but non-speakers would never pick up the differences, so it makes sense to have loads of different english accents too.

making stalin cockney(ish) was genius though because to russians georgians fit a lot of the same stereotypes

iirc they tried to use analogous English accents to Russian classes/regions

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

we also started ted lasso last night and are really enjoying it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Fool posted:

while we’re recommending sci-fi books, i am a huge fan of “Ancillary Justice”

books 2 and 3 in the series are just ok, but the first one is very good

yeah, the radch books are overall good but i think 2 and 3 seem less so because 1 was such a showpiece

her other novel, provenance, is in the same universe but with one of the other cultures. its more regular mystery and intrigue but i still appreciated her way of unfolding a culture and the departure from the established radchaai

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SmokaDustbowl posted:

cohen brothers are so good.

big lebowski is another perfect movie. just the pacing and dialogue and poo poo is so perfect

i’ve seen neither

which actually rules because it still means I get to experience them for the first time

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

echinopsis posted:

i’ve seen neither

which actually rules because it still means I get to experience them for the first time
drat that’s awesome

actually idk what it’s like to not experience big lebowski for the first time when you’re 16 and there’s like 10 of you crammed around a 14” tv to watch it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

DUNE is only a quid today if you want to format-shift from your dogeared thrift copy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004KA9UXO/

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Death of Stalin was amazing because it seemed like they didn't have to embellish the source material all that much.

My Cohen bros experience is so scattershot but I've loved basically everything I've seen from them. Buster Scruggs was a little on the weak side but I think it's the anthology format.

Burn After Reading was amazing after working a few years in defense. I absolutely hated everything surrounding the security clearance process. It was nice to see a portrayal of how much of a joke it is for low-level people.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
raising arizona was probably my favorite coen bros film

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

shoeberto posted:

Death of Stalin was amazing because it seemed like they didn't have to embellish the source material all that much.

My Cohen bros experience is so scattershot but I've loved basically everything I've seen from them. Buster Scruggs was a little on the weak side but I think it's the anthology format.

Burn After Reading was amazing after working a few years in defense. I absolutely hated everything surrounding the security clearance process. It was nice to see a portrayal of how much of a joke it is for low-level people.

I should rewatch burn after reading because since I’ve seen it I both acquired and lost a ts//sci clearance thanks to the unshakeable science behind polygraphs.

actually just gonna do what someone else itt said and watch all the Cohen bros movies in release order

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

actually just gonna do what someone else itt said and watch all the Cohen bros movies in release order
strong recommend

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

SmokaDustbowl posted:

death of stalin is almost blazing saddles level

I’m not sure if this is supposed to make me want to watch it or not.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

DUNE is only a quid today if you want to format-shift from your dogeared thrift copy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004KA9UXO/

i feel seen

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!
case closed, everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBnGoxSvyss

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

gene roddenberry was a notable sex pest and we still debate star trek endlessly.

i just wanna know how dedicated you gotta be to be a true harry potter cosplayer

gene rod n berries is dead and can no longer say awful poo poo in public

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol. glad they absolved Kylo Ren of any wrongdoing in the comics

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it was me I killed baby yoda

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTfsUDNeEpE

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lmao the speeder bike moves that's great

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quote:

During the opening scene of "Chapter 8: Redemption", an Imperial Scout Trooper portrayed by comedian Adam Pally punched Grogu. During the first take of filming the scene, Pally punched the animatronic Grogu puppet hard, prompting Favreau to inform the actor that the puppet cost about $5 million to make. This made Pally so nervous that he missed Grogu altogether when he tried to punch him in the three subsequent takes.[94][95] Pally joked about working with Grogu: "I gotta tell you, the truth is that Baby Yoda is a bit of a diva. He's constantly vaping."

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
george lucas has revealed baby yoda's real name is Babbio Bitefinger

mystes
May 31, 2006

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it was me I killed baby yoda
Thank you.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBEVwaJEgaA

don't forget to watch gremlins for the holiday season

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how the gently caress did the Baby Yoda puppet cost five million dollars

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBEVwaJEgaA

don't forget to watch gremlins for the holiday season
gremlins was a perfect christmas movie

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dont have to go to work tomorrow and ms jones is going to bed early. that means im going to drink some whiskey and watch movies. i goofed and left a broken torrent of old roms from archive.org running and it blew me past my bandwidth cap, which means that i am in my courtesy "you went over your bandwidth cap but we won't charge you" month so im down for whatever

i watched the flying guillotine a couple days ago. it was good.

hit me with recs for tonight. doesn't have to be shaw brothers - im considering eraserhead or brazil cause i haven't seen either. not really in the mood for gremlins though

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

i dont have to go to work tomorrow and ms jones is going to bed early. that means im going to drink some whiskey and watch movies. i goofed and left a broken torrent of old roms from archive.org running and it blew me past my bandwidth cap, which means that i am in my courtesy "you went over your bandwidth cap but we won't charge you" month so im down for whatever

I'm supposed to be capped, but my isp doesn't give a gently caress as long as I pay the bill. they even removed the ridiculous cap for covid like they were doing something

anyway watch brazil

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Achmed Jones posted:

i watched the flying guillotine a couple days ago. it was good.

hit me with recs for tonight. doesn't have to be shaw brothers - im considering eraserhead or brazil cause i haven't seen either. not really in the mood for gremlins though

kiss kiss bang bang

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
if you don't want to watch brazil. I'd say a better tomorrow 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004