Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, I have a very low tolerance for "visual novel bullshit" and I was thiiiiis close to giving up on DDLC at several points. I only kept going because of how highly regarded the game is and I'm glad I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

spaceblancmange posted:

I have never bought or played a Tropico game and I have 3 of them now

I think the series was it's best at three, tbh.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I also have never bought a Tropico and have 4 and 5 twice now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

edit: nvm, now seeing the mod post

Anyways, why do people like INSIDE so much? What's so interesting about it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It plays just like Limbo, so if you liked that, you'll like Inside. It's only a few hours long though so the price is a bit much.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wasn't really a fan of Limbo, tbh. Not sure why.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Probably because it was floaty garbage (gameplaywise)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It's not exactly like Limbo because both the puzzles and atmosphere have a different focus. Unfortunately, saying more delves into mild spoilers that are probably best experienced.

Give it a try when it's free! I'm curious if it clicks for you when Limbo didn't - it's definitely a major refinement of the formula.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Limbo is of that first wave of indie hits which were huge at the time, but wouldn't get a second look if they came out today

Inside's production values and polish are through the roof in comparison

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I liked Limbo until I got to a part I needed to look at a walkthrough to get past the single point in the entire game you have to walk slow so a thing doesn't hear your footsteps and it kinda ruined the whole game for me.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

OgNar posted:

I also have never bought a Tropico and have 4 and 5 twice now.

I think I bought the second one on a steep discount and got 3/4/5 for free. There must be a difference between them, but I can't tell what it is. It's the type of game that's perfectly fine and perfectly bland and you quickly realize "hey, I've only got an hour of game time, why am I wasting it on this?" They give this series away so often, who on earth would pay for Tropico 6 and who in god's name would even want a Tropico 6? Show yourself.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
6 has good game pad controls but that's all I can tell you about it

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

AARP LARPer posted:

"hey, I've only got an hour of game time, why am I wasting it on this?"

this is my life as I mine in Eve Echoes but I keep on mining.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

kirbysuperstar posted:

6 has good game pad controls but that's all I can tell you about it

okay, this is great.

what kind of idiot would pay for this game: idiots like me (i bought trop2)

what's the diff between them: 6 has good game pad controls

i now know twice as much about this series as I did a few hours ago. thank you, that's a wrap!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

wasn't trop 2 about running a pirate island and you got citizens by kidnapping folks? the rest are just not-Cuba simulators?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No that's mgs v

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Skwirl posted:

I liked Limbo until I got to a part I needed to look at a walkthrough to get past the single point in the entire game you have to walk slow so a thing doesn't hear your footsteps and it kinda ruined the whole game for me.
I liked Limbo up until it turned into an entirely different sort of puzzle game.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

As someone who was bored out of their mind in five minutes of Limbo but played through all of Inside in one sitting:

-The core gameplay is very well done and polished. The jumping and climbing physics are weighty and responsive and the signposting is good enough that you're never really lost or banging your head against everything seeing what you can interact with.

-The tutorializing and storytelling is very lean and mostly done through environmental storytelling and gameplay mechanics. I don't think there's a single spoken or written line of dialogue in the game, you're operating entirely off of emotive yells and grunts which is a huge relief given how much indie games seems to love vomiting text and quips and exposition at you.

-The puzzle mechanics are interesting, it's not just stock standard physics seesaw puzzles and collecting keys.

-The story is really good and creepy and genuinely surprising without relying on jump scares or personal melodrama or hamfisted metaphors.

-When you die you respawn immediately at the beginning of the same area and never lose more than a few seconds of progress.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The best Tropico game is the one you played first, because none of the others are much different. I like the idea of a political and economic city builder, but after spending 20-30 hours in (I think) Tropico 4, nothing about 5 or 6 remotely appeals. Even during the free weekend for 6 I was bored within an hour.

Just play Anno instead.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Like Outer Wilds, it's a game that really benefits from going in blind. It's free, so I highly recommend just booting it up. You'll know within 5 minutes if it's for you or not (it's not one of those "it gets good eventually" games)

edit: Limbo's good, sorry haters

Trickyblackjack fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 24, 2020

MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

-The story is really good and creepy and genuinely surprising without relying on jump scares or personal melodrama or hamfisted metaphors.

I bought Inside on release but must have gotten distracted by another game and left it around three-quarters through, despite enjoying it for the same reasons listed here.

I decided to finish it off a few months ago and was totally surprised at how it wrapped things up, it was well worth it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Len posted:

wasn't trop 2 about running a pirate island and you got citizens by kidnapping folks? the rest are just not-Cuba simulators?

Yes and I really liked it at the time because it had (has) amazing music and was a refreshing take on the city planning game. I don't remember all the details but it was more than just a reskinned version of a normal island builder type game but instead had an economy based on supporting the pirates.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh huh, apparently I already got inside on epic earlier in the year or something. that was anticlimactic

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Inside is my 65th Epic game. And the...third I’ve actually installed.

At least I can take it off my Steam list.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I've got 101 free Epic games, I've played maybe 5 of them. I really should install Into The Breach next, one of these days.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Desperately clinging onto the idea that I still actually play games instead of spending all my time worrying about the future.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I just downloaded Gamepass for PC, but I seem to be only able to install games from the "Home" section. If I go to "All Games", it prompts me to buy the game, but I don't see any link to install it off the bat. I'm trying to download Mechwarrior 5, but I don't really want to buy it. I know for sure it's included in GamePass, does anyone know how to help?

Edit: Never mind, I just restarted the app and it seems to be working fine.

SoR Blaze fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 25, 2020

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

SoR Blaze posted:

I just downloaded Gamepass for PC, but I seem to be only able to install games from the "Home" section. If I go to "All Games", it prompts me to buy the game, but I don't see any link to install it off the bat. I'm trying to download Mechwarrior 5, but I don't really want to buy it. I know for sure it's included in GamePass, does anyone know how to help?

Edit: Never mind, I just restarted the app and it seems to be working fine.

The PC Xbox app and Gamepass are janky and don't always explain to you when something is "wrong". I can usually resolve the issues by doing the following: restart the app, restart my computer, go into the Microsoft Store app and check for app updates. Some combination of those steps usually resolves things.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Overcooked got added to Prime Gaming today.

Also a reminder that Xbox/Windows Game App for PC still has problems if you don't install all games to the C drive.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I really like Deep Sky as a dungeon crawler

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Desperately clinging onto the idea that I still actually play games instead of spending all my time worrying about the future.
The future happens regardless of how much you worry. Play a game, smoke a weed, jerk it. We're all gonna die someday.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Darkest Dungeon on EGS.
Also 1 DLC an addon class.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

OgNar posted:

Darkest Dungeon on EGS.
Also 1 DLC an addon class.

I think those two pieces of DLC are always free. I reinstalled on steam recently and was able to grab a character and the pvp (which is better than I assumed it would be).

Darkest Dungeon is still a great pickup for free

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Same

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
For Darkest Dungeon the base game is 80-90% of the experience and DLC don't really add much good game play. Even if you don't pickup the DLC's the free base game is still worth picking up if you don't already have it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Another fun free game with great replayability, but it was never not free so not the right thread.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

davebo posted:

Another fun free game with great replayability, but it was never not free so not the right thread.

never not not not jerk it

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

never not not not jerk it

A - Always
B - Be
C - Jerking it

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Portia is free today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Is Portia good? Should I just replay Stardew?