Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently if you're using SteamVR, you're supposed to start SteamVR first before the game. There seems to be an issue where it drops frames. Sure seemed like it when I exited the game and dropped into SteamVR void, which had the same judder.

Then this setting apparently also has an effect:

I'll try that.

I did get VR to start finally. It did not look good, and turning my head left me looking at the SteamVR Theater for a half second before the landscape fills in.

So I fired up IL-2 and flew a U-2 night bomber mission. When the AA tracers start to come up and the searchlights have you, that's one hell of an immersive experience in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently if you're using SteamVR, you're supposed to start SteamVR first before the game. There seems to be an issue where it drops frames. Sure seemed like it when I exited the game and dropped into SteamVR void, which had the same judder.

Then this setting apparently also has an effect:

And here's someone on the MSFS forums talking some stuff:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/my-2070-super-vr-settings-and-suggestions-valve-index/321913

Thanks for this, this helped immensely. Runs pretty smoothly with only slight hiccups here and there, the world is pretty blurry though to accomplish smoothness and I'm pretty sure the blurriness caused me a headache/eye strain. Sacrificing prettiness for immersiveness.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So what is it about Sim games that make it so hard to get decent frame rates? Would it be possible to toss enough money at a build to get the VR working smoothly and with decent visuals?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

sigher posted:

So what is it about Sim games that make it so hard to get decent frame rates? Would it be possible to toss enough money at a build to get the VR working smoothly and with decent visuals?

Can someone post the Austin Meyer FPS rant again for posterity?

I’m going to guess the answer is “yes, but drat” - running in VR smoothly with good visuals is probably approaching some of the more expensive consumer hardware you can get. I have a 1080Ti and I don’t expect it’ll really shine in VR, and that’s still not a bad card for most everything else today - RDR2, cyberpunk, etc. Sim games love to go crazy with visuals and it’s rendering huge areas and trying to be accurate. I think it’s mostly a matter of scale, but then also rendering a crazy detailed 3D cockpit and all.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

sigher posted:

Most video games render things around the player in a bubble and don’t simulate much of anything besides that.

Sims model large amounts of space and various actors on that space and can’t just freeze whatever the game doesn’t show for the player.

You can definitely run FS2020 in VR just fine on a decent PC. All maxed out everywhere in the world in VR? No. And that’s good, the game will be around for a decade likely, so it has to have room to grow to.

Simulators such as car driving ones, or flight sims like IL-2 Great Battles series, or War Thunder, run well because while they still simulate a lot of stuff, they severely limit the scope by only having relatively tiny areas within any instance of the game.

Sims like Falcon BMS had unique ”player bubble” techs that allowed it to revert to rough math approximation whenever a human was not near some area. With even a small amount of humans intentionally spreading far and thin in the game world, the simulator took rapid nosedives in performance and ticks.

Thing is, medium-low settings in VR look breathtaking in this game as you follow your own street to overfly your house, or when you bust through holes in the cloud cover and dance in the sky. It’s really otherworldly.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 24, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Disregarding all the calculation that has to happen just to run the simulation, the graphics requirements are still just so demanding because simulators are aiming to be realistic and not just immersive. There's a lot of fiddling over terrain details that you might never scrutinize in detail... or you might. There's a ton of fuss over how the sky looks with clouds and the atmosphere.

Bask in people posting about the position of celestial objects:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/stars/281713/17

Somebody is going to expect the stars and planets to be in the right places. A non-simulator game can just vomit a skybox. Apparently FS2020 isn't doing the planets right now but it has most everything else and the effect of light pollution on it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vahakyla posted:

Thing is, medium-low settings in VR look breathtaking in this game as you follow your own street to overfly your house, or when you bust through holes in the cloud cover and dance in the sky. It’s really otherworldly.

It can be, but my 2080 can't even keep a steady 60 in VR with everything set to low and even the render scaling at 40. It's just crazy how this game doesn't give a gently caress about what you're running, you ain't gonna be hitting that 60. Like, I wouldn't mind if I could even get the game running 60 with all details on low except render scaling and be able to read the cockpit. I'm tempted to build a PC and just go balls to the wall with hardware in the coming year just to achieve 100% render resolution and smooth frames in VR, the rest of the settings I don't care for.

How far out does the game simulate? And does performance tank in large cities not just because of the added visual fidelity needed to render, but also because of the added calculations due to all of the structures?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FS2020 is heavily CPU-bound. Like to the point that you pretty much cannot get more than 60fps with high graphics settings no matter how much GPU you throw at it. I suspect that rendering the world is actually relatively lightweight, but decoding all the world data in the first place is the real killer. When you fly over a photogrammetry city you are loading unique geometry and textures for every pixel and polygon in the entire scene. That, plus the sheer size of the area that has to be rendered, is what makes it run so much worse than other modern pretty games like CoD, where you can design the maps to limit what the player can see, and you can reuse assets all over the place.

It's also just poor coding. You can turn on the dev tools and look at the performance graph and there's one thread called MainThread that is always the limiter when you have a decent GPU. If they'd split out whatever that thread is doing into a couple of parallel tasks it would probably help a lot. I have 12 physical cores and eight of them are idling while MainThread is screaming away. Sigh

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

FS2020 is heavily CPU-bound. Like to the point that you pretty much cannot get more than 60fps with high graphics settings no matter how much GPU you throw at it. I suspect that rendering the world is actually relatively lightweight, but decoding all the world data in the first place is the real killer. When you fly over a photogrammetry city you are loading unique geometry and textures for every pixel and polygon in the entire scene. That, plus the sheer size of the area that has to be rendered, is what makes it run so much worse than other modern pretty games like CoD or whatever, where you can design the maps to limit what the player can see, and you can reuse assets all over the place.

It's also just poor coding. You can turn on the dev tools and look at the performance graph and there's one thread called MainThread that is always the limiter when you have a decent GPU. If they'd split out whatever that thread is doing into a couple of parallel tasks it would probably help a lot. I have 12 physical cores and eight of them are idling while MainThread is screaming away. Sigh

I can't believe this - I mean, what, do you think they just started with FSX code and built off of that entirely? That game has massive issues and is 10 years old.

Oh.

Ooooh.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I can't believe this - I mean, what, do you think they just started with FSX code and built off of that entirely? That game has massive issues and is 10 years old.

Oh.

Ooooh.

*glares at DCS devs*

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

MFS uses the same graphics engine as the Forza and Forza Horizon games.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In regards to the poor coding, is that something that we'll see fixed or it's just "Well it's par for the course in the Flight Sim game so gently caress it"/it's too much work to fix?

We probably won't get any Vulkan performance boosts from this either since DirectX is MS' thing and they probably don't give a poo poo do they?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw that the latest update gets VR, finally. Gonna reinstall it now that I'm done with Cyberpunk and try it out. On an i5-3470 and 1070. Wish me luck :barf:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

From the OSHA thread.

https://v.redd.it/jjztsjkkrj661/DASH_480.mp4

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oh, for that as a POI...

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

sigher posted:

It can be, but my 2080 can't even keep a steady 60 in VR with everything set to low and even the render scaling at 40.

I have a i5-9600K with no overclock, a 2080 super, with 32 gigs of 3000mhz memory.

I get smooth 45fps in VR with odyssey plus around mid tier cities and the bush. In huge cities, it is about 30 frames per second. Because of the reprojection, the 45fps feels perfectly smooth and the headset stays locked to it, and the 30fps is smooth-ish with some stutters as you turn your head a lot.

My render scale is 100 percent and settings medium-lowish with all car and boat and people traffic at 20%.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

I have a i5-9600K with no overclock, a 2080 super, with 32 gigs of 3000mhz memory.

I get smooth 45fps in VR with odyssey plus around mid tier cities and the bush. In huge cities, it is about 30 frames per second. Because of the reprojection, the 45fps feels perfectly smooth and the headset stays locked to it, and the 30fps is smooth-ish with some stutters as you turn your head a lot.

My render scale is 100 percent and settings medium-lowish with all car and boat and people traffic at 20%.

I have a very similar setup (same cpu and ram, 3060 ti) and found that I was able to bump the settings to high with 120% scaling and get very similar results. Since the game is so CPU bound, the difference between low and high settings is pretty minimal with a solid GPU.

One thing I found is that TAA is an absolute must. The game defaults to FXAA for VR but there's just so much shimmering and there seems to be some sort of shadow noise that gets locked to head orientation with FXAA.

I have a Rift S and while the experience was surprisingly good, even with the full stripe RGB display the resolution just wasn't high enough for details outside of the cockpit.

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 24, 2020

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Frame rates are far higher in a Cessna 152 than in a tubeliner.

While volumetric clouds and such place an undeniable strain upon the GPU I'd wager frame rate issues have a lot less to do with simulation of aeronautics and a lot more to do with simulating eight tabs of Google. loving. Chrome., one for each glass flight display and one for each loving seven-segment LED!

Yes I am mad. Because a lot of that CPU load comes from the stupidest place imaginable.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Wait what? Glass panels are rendered on actual instances of chrome? Lol gently caress software devs are lazy and stupid.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Wait what? Glass panels are rendered on actual instances of chrome? Lol gently caress software devs are lazy and stupid.

With a 3090 and 9700k at all ultra 1440p ultra wide, I can get about 65-70 FPS at cruise if I'm external to the cockpit. Going into the cockpit even with Low refresh rate drops that down to 45, with really weird frame time behavior because of the thread managing the panel refresh rate.

That said it definitely seems to make the modders' jobs easier.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It is an incredibly poorly made piece of software.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's not literally Chrome but it's basically the same thing. A web browser-like JavaScript and HTML toolkit called CoherentUI that is optimized for use in videogames for menus and UIs and things like that.

Hence "simulating" Chrome :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

EvilJoven posted:

A whole lot of the simulation parts are in TypeScript and WebAssembly, actually.

Using Chromium to render the glass cockpit isn't so much an issue. The issue is that it seems to run on the main render thread instead of separate.

Reducing the rendering frame rate of the glass panels improves the game's total framerate. A hack initially found by the community, then later adopted by the devs. It should just render separately on a different thread and supply the final textures.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 24, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vahakyla posted:

I've got an i9-9980HK, 2080 and 64GB of RAM in my laptop; maybe I'm just thermal throttling but I don't think so. However, I think it might be the way my Index is connected, I don't have a full-sized Display Port, but I do have a Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port with built-in Display Port. However, it looks like the throughput of that port isn't enough or something because my frames in the Index are all over with Orange and Red Spikes no matter what FPS I set the Index to. In the preview window on the computer the tracking actually looks quite smooth but I think the frames aren't being pumped over to the headset via the port quickly enough and it's bottlenecking.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Combat Pretzel posted:

A whole lot of the simulation parts are in TypeScript and WebAssembly, actually.

:psypop:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mllaneza posted:

Oh, for that as a POI...

It is, though I don't know which version of the game you need.
Edit: at least I think that's the one. Would need to do a side by side to be sure

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

If anyone considers getting the Ovation, here's my opinion: it's fun, get it.

It is modelled quite lovely, with lots of little cosmetic details. It is very quick and nimble, with a roll rate and maneuverability so surprising that I needed to double-check that the sim rate wasn't accelerated. Landings and take-offs are easy, although the groud handling is a bit odd; on the tarmac, the plane feels a little bit as though it was on ice. It also doesn't lose speed quickly, so on some approaches you might need to start out slow or side slip a little it more. The dashboard is beautiful, what with its mix of digital and analogue gauges. The avionics suite has everything you need for IFR including an autopilot. The autopilot is pretty interesting even, given that it has a mode where you can control the pitch of the aircraft. The avionics are a little more complex than in the Skyhawk though, and I haven't yet figured out how to get a control which data go into which navigation instrument. If you're using NeoFly, it's a fine addition to a 'young' company since it's a clear upgrade from the Skyhawk (curiously, NeoFly let's it buy you super cheaply). So in summar it's beautiful, it's fast, it's capable, get it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's wrong with that?

WebAssembly is just a different format to dump native code into (from things like C/C++ and so on), there's even WASM versions of the Visual Studio runtimes. And TypeScript gets JIT'd to native code.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 25, 2020

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Lord Stimperor posted:

If anyone considers getting the Ovation, here's my opinion: it's fun, get it.

It is modelled quite lovely, with lots of little cosmetic details. It is very quick and nimble, with a roll rate and maneuverability so surprising that I needed to double-check that the sim rate wasn't accelerated. Landings and take-offs are easy, although the groud handling is a bit odd; on the tarmac, the plane feels a little bit as though it was on ice. It also doesn't lose speed quickly, so on some approaches you might need to start out slow or side slip a little it more. The dashboard is beautiful, what with its mix of digital and analogue gauges. The avionics suite has everything you need for IFR including an autopilot. The autopilot is pretty interesting even, given that it has a mode where you can control the pitch of the aircraft. The avionics are a little more complex than in the Skyhawk though, and I haven't yet figured out how to get a control which data go into which navigation instrument. If you're using NeoFly, it's a fine addition to a 'young' company since it's a clear upgrade from the Skyhawk (curiously, NeoFly let's it buy you super cheaply). So in summar it's beautiful, it's fast, it's capable, get it.

Was on the fence on purchasing it, but you just convinced me to do it.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's wrong with that?

WebAssembly is just a different format to dump native code into (from things like C/C++ and so on), there's even WASM versions of the Visual Studio runtimes.

You seem misinformed, WASM is a VM that runs bytecode.

Combat Pretzel posted:

And TypeScript gets JIT'd to native code.

And yet WASM only exists because JS wasn't performant enough, curious!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Is there any source for that statement that the simulation uses typescript compiled down to wasm? Using typescript to wasm for the graphical panels makes sense to me, but for physics simulations that seems a bit odd.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
TypeScript doesn't get compiled down to WASM, it gets translated to JavaScript and in MSFS that JavaScript code gets executed by CoherentUI's JavaScript interpreter for the purposes of driving the HTML cockpit displays.

"HTML cockpit displays" is a fairly cursed sentence in its own right but at least it's only a video game. SpaceX's real life manned rockets have an on-board Chrome user interface. They actually brag about this.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Sapozhnik posted:

TypeScript doesn't get compiled down to WASM, it gets translated to JavaScript and in MSFS that JavaScript code gets executed by CoherentUI's JavaScript interpreter for the purposes of driving the HTML cockpit displays.

"HTML cockpit displays" is a fairly cursed sentence in its own right but at least it's only a video game. SpaceX's real life manned rockets have an on-board Chrome user interface. They actually brag about this.

I think I’m gonna go ahead and trust literal rocket scientists over some goon and say if they are using it it’s probably alright.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

BMan posted:

You seem misinformed, WASM is a VM that runs bytecode.
V8 in Chromium has a JIT for WASM.

BMan posted:

And yet WASM only exists because JS wasn't performant enough, curious!
I was bitching a while ago about why TypeScript still isn't as popular as JavaScript, as it surely would enable compilers in browsers to emit better code, but some goon here that worked on V8 before said JS JITs are pretty clever in inferring poo poo. --edit: As in, they create good native code, considering it's dynamically typed.

So eh.

Sapozhnik posted:

If Coherent is using Chromium, it uses the V8 JavaScript engine, which has a just-in-time compiler that creates native code for the JavaScript code in use. --edit: Actually, every recent web browser engine has a JS JIT, anyway.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 25, 2020

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If the flat panels are chrome, can someone add a new tab/page option to look for hot singles in my area when I’m on long cruises?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

The SpaceX thing is probably fine. Each display is probably it's own embedded device. It ends up being a shitshow in MSFS because the airliners have 8 of the fuckers and they're all seem to be on the same core.

If the flat panels are chrome, can someone add a new tab/page option to look for hot singles in my area when I’m on long cruises?

I know there's at least a mod to read twitch chat and play twitch alerts on your MFDs.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Yes but you won't be able to approach them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm really sad that after finally getting a good HMD to discover that AMD's support for WMR is abysmal and their drivers crash constantly when using it. I'll have to wait god knows how many months for geforce 30 cards to become available.

This process has illuminated part of the reason why VR has struggled to catch on. If one of the big two hardware manufacturer's support for VR is "basically none" this many years into the current wave, then just lmao. but also lol @ amd in general. their drivers always find new ways to impress.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 26, 2020

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
AMD is basically out of the picture for a lot of picture. Their mainstream card, the 5700-series, had a random black screen error which they were unable to figure out for a long time. Their WMR support sucks, and they consistently have driver issues.

It’s fair to say that gaming has one GPU manufacturer right now. AMD isn’t a serious contender.

AMD CPU houses is that chad meme, while AMD GPU folks are the virgins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011
5700xt owner here. Just started getting random crashes in MSFS when it’d actually been running really stable previously, so now I get to try and work out if it’s the latest MSFS update or the most recent drivers update that’s causing it (or both!). I’ve been reasonably happy with the card performance wise when it works (not trying to do any VR stuff though) but it’s always fun trying to second guess whether to update drivers or not, so the struggle is definitely real.