Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Looking back over 2020 like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XByiHpUvrj0

edit:

If you are looking for some scifi reading for the xmas holidays (if you can still concentrate and read a book after nine months of covidworld) the full seven-book run of Marko Kloos 'Frontlines' series are only a quid apiece

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B085YF7JRW/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

I've only read the first four but they were absolutely acceptable as lightweight mil-sci, and not overly pro-fash like I was worried they might be.

edit edit: also Adrian Tchaikovsky's 'Cage of Souls', which I have suggested before as a good 'Dying Earth by way of Heart of Darkness' sci-fantasy book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cage-Souls-Adrian-Tchaikovsky-ebook/dp/B07DPRW17S

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Jingle All The Way is the best christmas movie. just rewatched it and it owns

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Xaris posted:

Jingle All The Way is the best christmas movie. just rewatched it and it owns

mystes
May 31, 2006

indigi posted:

how the gently caress did the Baby Yoda puppet cost five million dollars
Think about it this way: would you rather have The Rise of Skywalker or 55 baby yodas?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

rotor posted:

the best movie satan was tim curry in legend

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

jesus WEP posted:

drat that’s awesome

actually idk what it’s like to not experience big lebowski for the first time when you’re 16 and there’s like 10 of you crammed around a 14” tv to watch it

i saw a showing of it in college for free and it was the first time i saw it with a crowd which was loving great. a friend next to me had an uncle that took him to see it originally and i was like, poo poo, that a cool uncle

their films are great but with an audience adds some extra reaction flavor

rotor posted:

yeah i was gonna say. its one of his roles i go to when i see him mentioned somewhere

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah the first time i saw it was in a friend's bedroom with like 10 other people, and then one other time the university cinema here was showing it and you got a white russian as part of the deal too. both excellent ways to watch

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

ngl Netflix produced documentaries have a "style" that I kinda hate. I watched The Social Dilemma a few months back and though I loved the message I hated just about everything else about it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i really like flavourful origins, which appears to be netflix produced but is a bit of an odd duck otherwise.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

shoeberto posted:

ngl Netflix produced documentaries have a "style" that I kinda hate. I watched The Social Dilemma a few months back and though I loved the message I hated just about everything else about it.
a documentary should feel like a scrapbook, and these netflix ones are too carefully produced.

like for example usually in a documentary the talking head segments would all have a different feel from the rest of the documentary and from each other because i guess they were just shot wherever suited the person talking. in the clip above they're all in the middle of the frame with a beautifully stage-managed background surrounding them, and so every scene looks the same as all the others.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

jesus WEP posted:

a documentary should feel like a scrapbook, and these netflix ones are too carefully produced.

like for example usually in a documentary the talking head segments would all have a different feel from the rest of the documentary and from each other because i guess they were just shot wherever suited the person talking. in the clip above they're all in the middle of the frame with a beautifully stage-managed background surrounding them, and so every scene looks the same as all the others.

agh yes that's what it is. They even do the whole like "candid shot of the mic getting pinned on the interview subject" shot in a way-too-produced manner. It feels about as authentic as a "reality" show on the History channel.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rotor posted:

my 2nd fave Satan after Samael in Darksiders, who was really Curry-Satan but bumped up to eleven.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the best netflix documentary is still american vandal

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

shoeberto posted:

watching two petes from mad men bully an angsty pete from mad men was unexpected and funny but otherwise i agree

i suppose it felt like it should have been tighter with less drama or a miniseries where the narrative has more annotation. maybe i knew more going in than its general audience so maybe thats the reason it felt that way to me

shoeberto posted:

agh yes that's what it is. They even do the whole like "candid shot of the mic getting pinned on the interview subject" shot in a way-too-produced manner. It feels about as authentic as a "reality" show on the History channel.

ahhhhh yeah thats the vibe it gave me. the staging and small budget posturing is completely at odds with those moments and the fully crafted story

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Agile Vector posted:

watching two petes from mad men bully an angsty pete from mad men was unexpected and funny but otherwise i agree
lmao I actually really liked him in it, it was a super cheesy way to explain "The Algorithm" but he's a good actor and I think it got the point across. Just a shame about Everything Else

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i feel like netflix docs are ripe for parody. start with 10 minutes of people putting lapel mics on and saying they feel nervous. then the rest of the movie alternates between intercutting multiple people making the same point using almost-identical wording, and one single person making a point with the background music gone so you know it's Very Serious

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i finished reading because of Winn Dixie to my son. I think we might do the hobbit next

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

the instagram infinite scroll is responsible for making our children develop eating disorders and get involved in such extremist political activities as standing next to a tree at a small protest. now here's the inventor of the instagram infinite scroll to explain why that's a problem. isn't he charming? you can tell by the jaunty music

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/headexposure/status/1208008666928107521

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

isnt die hard without terrorists and with firefighters just the towering inferno?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

indigi posted:

are there any Kung fu movies (old or current) that primarily star women

e: I mean actually good ones, not ones with women for marketing/titillation purposes

wing chun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXXVREeuX-I

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just finished listening to DUST - Chrysalis and it was very good

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

the instagram infinite scroll is responsible for making our children develop eating disorders and get involved in such extremist political activities as standing next to a tree at a small protest. now here's the inventor of the instagram infinite scroll to explain why that's a problem. isn't he charming? you can tell by the jaunty music

ah the radiolab maneuver. classic.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

indigi posted:

e: I mean actually good ones, not ones with women for marketing/titillation purposes

any excuse to post this guy. here is a 2 part doc on women in kung fu by accented cinema:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5tuNdzOZx4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7p9PBOErMw

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
netflix's the midnight sky is so aggressively terrible that i stopped watching after ten minutes

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
finally watched "sword of destiny" last night with my mom. we'd both seen crouching tiger when it came out, and it was one of the only things on Netflix I could find quickly that I figure we'd both like.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

omg the lung-ears-again scene in a better tomorrow 2. amazing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

eats not ears

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

ah the radiolab maneuver. classic.

But did they
They keep cutting
Cutting and cutting in
Cutting in between
Between two speakers saying
Saying the same things but
Things but overlapping until you shoot your loving ears off in annoyance
*music stops abruptly to emphasize point*

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

shoeberto posted:

lmao I actually really liked him in it, it was a super cheesy way to explain "The Algorithm" but he's a good actor and I think it got the point across. Just a shame about Everything Else

yeah, it put a good wrapper on something so abstract even if a bit silly and i honestly did get a kick out of seeing him as the aspects. i think the one kid being the guy from righteous gemstones sort of broke the family scenes for me but thats not on anyone

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i read the wikipedia page about the movie the midnight sky and oh lord

there is a famous list of sf literary cliches that has been around for a few decades (pretty much every sf writers workshop hands out a copy of this list and says "dont do any of these things") and this movie ends with arguably the most hackneyed of those cliches: the last two humans alive become adam and eve on a new planet

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

indigi posted:

sister street fighter (1974) is a spin off of sonny chiba’s street fighter that has sonny chiba in it too (different character). sister street fighter has 2 sequels

a buddy of mine was a real sonny chiba head about 20 years ago and he said the ssfs are deece but haven’t seen them myself

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
fun fax

i just realized madeline stowe (kathryn railly in 12 monkeys the film) has a role in 12 monkeys (tv show) as lillian

have a merry cxsarhistmas

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i’ve been pretty irritated that a vast majority of kung fu and hong kong blood operas i grew up watching have just not been on streaming services. like barely any chow yun fat, none of john woo’s old stuff (face/off is on netflix tho so if you haven’t seen it in a while check it out).

i want to rewatch all the classic 70s/80s sonny chiba, jackie chan, sammo hung, etc poo poo that i can’t imagine is super expensive rights wise.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTQv5vJMJjo

city hunter is on hbomax i think tho and is worth a watch. as a grown up it’s so clearly a 90s superhero movie and it’s rad af.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
there's a bunch of classic Shaw Brothers stuff on Netflix atm, but yeah there needs to be more 80s stuff from the other studios

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
shudder but for martial arts flicks, in 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m 15 minutes into WW84 and wow this movie is utter poo poo so far

e: thank Christ Pedro Pascal showed up to bring any amount of personality to this garbage

e2: god drat how did they manage to suck all the charisma out of Kristen Wiig

indigi fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 25, 2020

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
wow some guy on antiques roadshow had a bunch of John Hicklenton original Judge Dredd art :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
there’s a scene in WW84 where a woman beating (potentially killing? it’s unclear) her attempted rapist is portrayed as something a bad guy would do